Print Thread
How long should a good knife hold an edge? #7565076 07/26/19 11:07 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Ok, the last two threads have me asking myself how good my knives really are. I have an assortment of knives, but the ones I use most are as follows:

A very old Western made from old carbon steel that used to belong to my grandfather.
A newer western made from an unknown steel
N newer buck folder that is stamped 278 with some "E" looking symbol after it.

All three take a really nice edge, but after 2 deer or 1 pig they are noticably duller (is that even a word) and they get sharpened again. When I sharpen them, they are VERY sharp. If I can't shave my arm hairs off with them, they are not sharp enough.

The question is this. How long do you go between sharpenings on your skinning and quartering knives?

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7565119 07/27/19 12:15 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I actually put one on a stone maybe twice a year. I’ll give one a couple of licks on a steel while I’m working; scraping the fats and oils off the cutting edge helps a lot. Once you get a good angle in the blade, it usually doesn’t take much effort to keep it in place.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7565129 07/27/19 12:26 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Ok, the last two threads have me asking myself how good my knives really are. I have an assortment of knives, but the ones I use most are as follows:

A very old Western made from old carbon steel that used to belong to my grandfather.
A newer western made from an unknown steel
N newer buck folder that is stamped 278 with some "E" looking symbol after it.

All three take a really nice edge, but after 2 deer or 1 pig they are noticably duller (is that even a word) and they get sharpened again. When I sharpen them, they are VERY sharp. If I can't shave my arm hairs off with them, they are not sharp enough.

The question is this. How long do you go between sharpenings on your skinning and quartering knives?

I guess I’ve never had a good knife. I hit mine on the steel half way through quartering a deer. If I have a lot of work to do I have three knives going. They all get back to shaving before I go to bed. If you keep a knife sharp it doesn’t take long to get them back to where they need to be. I don’t like a dull knife for anything. I hit my pocket knife a few licks every week. Maybe I’m wrong but I feel a man with a dull pocket knife is pretty lazy.

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7565186 07/27/19 01:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Back in 2005 I bought a knife made by Red Woods. I gutted 36 deer and hogs with it before sharpening it. 32 deer were just gutted and 2 deer gutted/skinned. 2 smaller hogs were gutted and skinned out of the 36 total. I had to sharpen it after that. I must have gotten very lucky on that knife because any other knife I have owned would not last nearly that long before needing to touch up the blade edge. I still have that knife and use it some, but I have never been able to put an edge on it like it originally had.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7565253 07/27/19 03:26 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Scalebuster, I agree. All my knives are always very sharp...I even carry a spare Smith diamond hone in my truck at all times.
Tactical cowboy, yes, when re sharpening my knives, it only takes a few strokes to bring the edge back, but I've been hearing about knives that have gone the distance without even needing that. See stxranchman's post...

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7566325 07/28/19 07:09 PM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Before I started making knives my son gave me a Buck 192 drop point, it never lasted very long. I quarter all my deer and couldn't get half way without it needing sharpening. Even after I started making knives I put a more severe angle on the secondary bevel, it did the same thing. That's one problem with production knives they don't get that personal attention that customs do.

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7566940 07/29/19 02:44 PM
Bush Monkey Knives Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Almost every knife being discussed on this forum is beveled at or about 20+ degrees/side, so... relative to some knives, none of them are ever “sharp” in their most pristine state. It’s all relative and unless you’ve tried a Scandinavian or other low angle bevel of 12 degrees/side you may be very happy with the steep angle bevel knife you have grown accustomed to and believe to be “sharp”.

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7567103 07/29/19 06:00 PM
T
trigger time Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
A lot of it has to do with what type of steel and how well it was hardened. I got a microtech socom alpha last year just because I wanted one, and was pleasantly surprised after I gutted, skinned and quartered two elk we shot and it was still popping hairs after. It has Elmax steel.

Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7570189 08/02/19 12:59 PM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Miracle knives just don’t exist, but some do perform better than others. RBK’s have changed the game. I carry a Havalon Baracutta and generally can get through a deer or a hog before swapping out the blade. It is just to easy. Over the years I’ve bought several packs of blades that I re-sharpen during the off season. Dull blades are dangerous, so I prefer to use a razor blade when Breaking down game.

I love customs though, I love the craftsmanship and quality, the looks. Everything about them. I wish I had a dozen myself.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: How long should a good knife hold an edge? [Re: unclebubba] #7570773 08/03/19 02:08 AM
D
Drahthaar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
When skinning game and deboning, pay attention if you hit bone you will have a dull knife. Forrest

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide