Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564369 07/25/19 07:47 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
So a rifle with .411” bore shoots cast bullets of .412” and .410 dia which weigh the same, have the same shape, and loaded the same will have the same velocity?

Done it...different velocities.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564414 07/25/19 08:48 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The easiest answer to this question would be to start chronographing shotguns with the same ammo and changing chokes.

I’m still betting there is negligible difference.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564423 07/25/19 08:59 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
The question wasn’t how much of a difference is there. The question was IS there a difference in distance, there either is, or there isn’t. It is definitively yes or no. I’m betting there is a difference, albeit inconsequential. I’d also presume that difference increases as the barrel length decreases.

Re: Choke question [Re: TDK] #7564487 07/25/19 10:44 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TDK
Originally Posted by Cleric
Originally Posted by TDK

Also, can the plane take off if on a treadmill?

No you need air to travel over the wing at different speeds to create pressure differences for lift

All about airspeed and angle of attack creating more lift than the planes weight. Hint, treadmill does and doesn’t matter. The whole pressure difference between the top and bottom of the wing due to airfoil shape theory is BS. Don’t believe me? How do planes fly upside down?

And Tighter choke makes the shot go further, if even .001”.

Yeah so on a treadmill the plane would still move forward. This thought scenario assume planes are like cars. It’s not true. Since there is no transmission, a plane on a treadmill would still move forward. If you tied the plane down there would be no lift because of no air speed.

But way to troll

Re: Choke question [Re: Cleric] #7564499 07/25/19 11:14 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Now what happens if the treadmill and the plane are going in the same direction, engine isn’t on, and brakes are free? Does it take off?

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564613 07/26/19 02:21 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
So who is going to shoot their shotgun over a chrono?

Re: Choke question [Re: GLC] #7564645 07/26/19 03:08 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by GLC
Originally Posted by David Maas
Using this logic, any 195gr bullet would travel the same distance and carry the same energy regardless of exterior design.

This whole thing has been beat to death numerous times, bore diameter (as I was reminded via text) or constriction neither play a part in distance traveled of a pellet or pellets.

Actually, in your statement above, different types-manufactures-materials of bullets may fly differently even if they are all 195 grain bullets, with the same diameter, with the same powder charge and out of the same barrel, so in this statement, they will have different ballistics.

But this was the actual question above , Which choke shoots pellets the longest or farthest distance? Which choke causes the pellets to travel farthest?
In this instance since all the pellets are the same, they would all have the same BC and all fly the same as long as other variables remain constant to each pellet. IE:powder charge, direction of flight, etc.

Again, you are mistaken, if all the pellets were the same material, then yes, but they are not, steel weighs over 10g/cc less than TSS, back to your feather analogy

Approximate weights of the shot material

TSS = 17.9-18.0 g/cc
Lead = 11.34 g/cc
Tungsten Matrix 10.8 g/cc
Bismuth = 9.75 g/cc
Steel = 7.86 g/cc

So the pellets vary in size just as bullets of the same caliber vary and carry corresponding energy and velocity per weight.

Choke has no bearing on the distance traveled, only the distance that there is a usable pattern with enough pattern density and energy to humanely accomplish your goal

Now if the question had been Which choke cause xxxxx shot to carry the needed energy, pattern density and velocity farther, then we can discuss chokes, bore size and muzzle velocity

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7564650 07/26/19 03:15 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

Already do, has no bearing on the question asked

I also use this program to analyse patterns, have burned thru probably 10 boxes of their 80 pack large patterning targets

Target Telemetrics

Target Telemetrics

Before that I used this butcher paper, a Plexiglas target radius and a marks-a lot, probably 5-7 boxes worth

48" x 48" butcher paper

Before that I used these, I think there are still 3 cases of targets in the storage unit.

Hunter John Duck Target

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: TDK] #7564651 07/26/19 03:17 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by TDK
Now what happens if the treadmill and the plane are going in the same direction, engine isn’t on, and brakes are free? Does it take off?

Only in Mineola Texas or other podunk municipality

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7564652 07/26/19 03:23 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The easiest answer to this question would be to start chronographing shotguns with the same ammo and changing chokes.

You would lose that bet

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7564673 07/26/19 04:40 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I load my own shotgun ammo and have done some work with a chrono. The work actually started by trying to settle on a clean burning load with low ES that was equivalent to a nitro 27 handicap practice load for clays that match the velocity I shoot for upland hunting. Shotgun powders are among the fastest burning on the burn rate chart and velocity is not linear with increased pressure like we expect loading metallic cartridges. Optimum pressure is around 10,500 psi. With 700x at 1240 FPS and hard magnum shot, with a rem STS 209 primer patterns beat a nitro 27 handicap load, and I get es in the high teens with claybuster figure 8 clone wad out of a Remington STS or Nitro 27 Hull. A very consistent load that outperforms good factory ammo. Initial loads are developed with a full choke to account for the higher pressure it produces, compared to an open choke. Velocity is marginally higher due to the increased friction associated with compressing the wad and shot charge in a tighter choke. Evidence of this is apparent by the increased plastic buildup in a tight choke compared to an open choke after a few thousand rounds. The forcing cone and especially in the choke are the only place I have plastic accumulation in the barrel. I have never tested how far they actually fly, nor do I intend to. Logic tells my increased pressure and small velocity gain out of a tighter choke would lead to some pellets that would be likely to fly a bit further. The tight choke compressing the shot also creates more deformed pellets that manifest as flyers than an open choke which are not likely to fly as far. Overall I would put my money on the pellets from a full choke flying a marginally longer distance if all else is equal. In terms of effectiveness I think the difference would be inconsequential.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Choke question [Re: David Maas] #7564922 07/26/19 05:06 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by GLC
Using this logic, any 195gr bullet would travel the same distance and carry the same energy regardless of exterior design.

This whole thing has been beat to death numerous times, bore diameter (as I was reminded via text) or constriction neither play a part in distance traveled of a pellet or pellets.

Actually, in your statement above, different types-manufactures-materials of bullets may fly differently even if they are all 195 grain bullets, with the same diameter, with the same powder charge and out of the same barrel, so in this statement, they will have different ballistics.

But this was the actual question above , Which choke shoots pellets the longest or farthest distance? Which choke causes the pellets to travel farthest?
In this instance since all the pellets are the same, they would all have the same BC and all fly the same as long as other variables remain constant to each pellet. IE:powder charge, direction of flight, etc.

Again, you are mistaken, if all the pellets were the same material, then yes, but they are not, steel weighs over 10g/cc less than TSS, back to your feather analogy

TSS = 17.9-18.0 g/cc
Lead = 11.34 g/cc
Bismuth = 9.75 g/cc
Steel = 7.86 g/cc

So the pellets vary in size just as bullets of the same caliber vary and carry corresponding energy and velocity per weight.

Choke has no bearing on the distance traveled, only the distance that there is a usable pattern with enough pattern density and energy to humanely accomplish your goal

Now if the question had been Which choke cause xxxxx shot to carry the needed energy, pattern density and velocity farther, then we can discuss chokes, bore size and muzzle velocity

Again it proves my point, question does not say different pellets but pellets.

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564949 07/26/19 06:13 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
popcorn

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7564982 07/26/19 07:34 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I use whatever is in the gun

Re: Choke question [Re: GLC] #7564991 07/26/19 07:52 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by GLC
Originally Posted by GLC

TSS = 17.9-18.0 g/cc
Lead = 11.34 g/cc
Bismuth = 9.75 g/cc
Steel = 7.86 g/cc

Again it proves my point, question does not say different pellets but pellets.

Regardless of what type of pellets, chokes do not make them travel farther, period

Choke design does not make them travel farther either

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: David Maas] #7564993 07/26/19 07:52 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

You would lose that bet

Break out the chrono then.

Re: Choke question [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7564995 07/26/19 07:55 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

You would lose that bet

Already have, you would still lose, chokes do not make pellets travel farther

GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Choke question [Re: David Maas] #7565018 07/26/19 09:03 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

You would lose that bet

Already have, you would still lose, chokes do not make pellets travel farther

You don’t read very well, do you?

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7565041 07/26/19 09:55 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Just here fore the ... popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7565043 07/26/19 09:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I think the dog days are already here. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7565069 07/26/19 10:35 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
All my shotguns have modified cokes cause they have been scientifically proven to shoot faster, further, denser patterns, with all types of shot, and also group inside an inch with foster slugs

Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7565116 07/27/19 12:13 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
“cokes”? Unfortunately faster, further and denser is not always what’s needed.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7565144 07/27/19 01:03 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Chokes do not change or establish distance..... a 1200fps pellet of #8 shot will travel roughly the same distance no matter what choke. Yes, choke could mean a very small difference but not enough to worry about.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Choke question [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7571353 08/04/19 01:25 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Since everybody just wants to assume things, I came with data. This was fired by me, about an hour ago.

Winchester 1300
Federal 12ga 2 3/4” 3 dram 1 1/8oz 7.5 shot

No choke:
Average 1202

Modified:
Average 1181

Full:
Average 1191

My conclusion: chokes don’t make a damn as to how far shot travels.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide