Free college text books, Wow #7531771 06/10/19 10:29 PM
Superduty Online Content OP
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Openstax.org

https://openstax.org/details/books/american-government

Free text books, no catch.

Last edited by Superduty; 06/10/19 10:38 PM.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7531780 06/10/19 10:42 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Excellent. I've been pissed about textbooks since I went to college. Then, we put 4 kids through private universities. I thought the internet would break the hold unscrupulous professors held over the highway-robbery prices that were/are charged. Any idiot could see it's a scam to pad their retirement. But it wasn't to be.

College Ed has become a complete scam.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Creekrunner] #7531786 06/10/19 10:48 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
be.

Yup.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7531808 06/10/19 11:02 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
be.

Yup.

And virtually worthless...…...

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Sailor] #7531859 06/10/19 11:53 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sailor
be.

Yup.

For most everything but STEM... 2cents

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Sailor] #7531877 06/11/19 12:11 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
be.

Yup.

For most of their majors I agree. However, a person won't be talking to me about a job opening unless they have a degree in something useful.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Creekrunner] #7531884 06/11/19 12:22 AM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Excellent. I've been pissed about textbooks since I went to college. Then, we put 4 kids through private universities. I thought the internet would break the hold unscrupulous professors held over the highway-robbery prices that were/are charged. Any idiot could see it's a scam to pad their retirement. But it wasn't to be.

Then why did you do it four times? Especially private universities?

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: S.A. hunter] #7531891 06/11/19 12:30 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

Because they now all support themselves, comfortably. One's a physician (she paid for med school).

But you're right...I'm just an idiot. 'Hope you feel superior.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Creekrunner] #7531915 06/11/19 12:50 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Because they now all support themselves, comfortably. One's a physician (she paid for med school).

rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7531928 06/11/19 01:06 AM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
is it just a single book for a single semester to get into politics or are there other book offerings?

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7531929 06/11/19 01:06 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

rofl

Lol, just a question....... coming from a guy who wishes he had gone to college.

I've helped both my wife, and son with college, and tuition will be a small fraction of what they will make in their careers. College could be an investment, if done correctly.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: spankyttx] #7531947 06/11/19 01:22 AM
Superduty Online Content OP
"The Regulator"
OP Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by spankyttx
is it just a single book for a single semester to get into politics or are there other book offerings?

Go to top of screen and select others.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7531959 06/11/19 01:33 AM
S
spankyttx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
thanks, physics would be cool

LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7532046 06/11/19 02:58 AM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
What used to tick me off when I was in college were the professors that taught from their own textbook and required a specific edition of the book at $50 to $60 a book. Of course it would be the edition they had just released. They would then release a new “edition” in the spring and because a new version was out, the bookstores wouldn’t buy your old book back as a used book because it was not the current release. Had that happen to me a few times before I started selling my books back immediately after the final exam for the class. By the time I was a senior, I had pretty much stopped buying class books until I knew for certain they would be used in the class. I had one too many professors put books on the syllabus and then never use them in class.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: gtrich94] #7532053 06/11/19 03:11 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by gtrich94
What used to tick me off when I was in college were the professors that taught from their own textbook and required a specific edition of the book at $50 to $60 a book. Of course it would be the edition they had just released. They would then release a new “edition” in the spring and because a new version was out, the bookstores wouldn’t buy your old book back as a used book because it was not the current release. Had that happen to me a few times before I started selling my books back immediately after the final exam for the class. By the time I was a senior, I had pretty much stopped buying class books until I knew for certain they would be used in the class. I had one too many professors put books on the syllabus and then never use them in class.

Yep, the books are worth $800 at the beginning of the semester, and $150 at the end.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7532067 06/11/19 03:34 AM
L
LuckyDucker_TTU Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
L
I can’t speak for other universities but at Texas Tech you can get your books free through the library Document Delivery services. Of course not too many people know this and I found out about it a little too late. I’m not sure it works in all cases but I never had an issue getting the books I needed. So if you have kids at TT have them look into Document Delivery in the library, it’s part of their tuition.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Sailor] #7532072 06/11/19 03:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
be.

Yup.

A college graduate will earn on average almost twice as much in their career as a high school diploma. Not to mention most high paying jobs, $150k+, require at least a Bachelors degree. Yes, there are exceptions out there.

But I agree that many majors are worthless. You should go to college with a plan for a career, not just getting the piece of paper.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: DocHorton] #7532131 06/11/19 12:00 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
be.

Yup.

A college graduate will earn on average almost twice as much in their career as a high school diploma. Not to mention most high paying jobs, $150k+, require at least a Bachelors degree. Yes, there are exceptions out there.

But I agree that many majors are worthless. You should go to college with a plan for a career, not just getting the piece of paper.

Well articulated

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: DocHorton] #7532312 06/11/19 03:10 PM
G
Gangly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
be.

Yup.

You should go to college with a plan for a career, not just getting the piece of paper.

[color:#FF0000][/color]

Too many kids are told that you have to have a college degree otherwise you cant find a job. While this is true for STEM career paths, its not for most others. You'd be surprised at how many people there are out there managing toy stores and fast food chains(fixed per S.A. Hunter) with a psychology or sociology degree because their degree isn't worth the paper its printed on in most cases. It's hard not to criticize peoples choices, but damn, you spent 120k in education for a 35k /yr job. They would have been better off going straight to work right out of high school in a field they enjoyed, building 4 years of work and sweat equity. Where were these kid's parents? Didn't somebody tell them that all degrees aren't equal?

Some of us are fortunate enough to have a child that excels in school, takes all GT and Pre-AP courses and makes straight A's without trying. College is designed for those kids, and I will gladly pay the tuition required for my child to get his/her engineering degree from an accredited and well known University in the field of engineering (or whatever STEM program). However, for a good portion of students who only want a degree because mom and dad told them they needed the sheet of paper, I'd be pushing them more towards a technical school. The sad reality is that technical schools are very much needed and highly underutilized by today's youth. Plumbers, welders, and electricians can all make 100k within 5 years with a positive attitude and a willingness to bust your rear to get things going. Unfortunately, most kids are going to go to a high end college, get a bullsh!t degree, then complain about Trump saying that there are no jobs and its his fault.

Last edited by Gangly; 06/11/19 03:48 PM.

Aaron

Do it right, do it once.
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7532331 06/11/19 03:25 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Lol, using managing grocery store as an example isn't the best. Those guys make a killing! More then you would think. But other then that i agree with everything else you had to say.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7532348 06/11/19 03:37 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I went to A&M. My textbooks alone were more money than the tuition and textbooks for the classes I took at community college and transferred in.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7532352 06/11/19 03:41 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
One niece went to college for 6+ years and told her parents, when they hit the Lubbock airport to attend her graduation, that she wasn't going to graduate 'cause she'd bombed a core math class that she'd put off until the last. Of course it was the professor's fault. She was punished by being given a corner apartment that looked out over Town Lake in Austin. She'd been a lit major (woulda been a writer, don't ya know), so, obviously, she decided to study cup cake baking in Austin. After she broke up with her video game addicted fiancée and quit the job at the cup cake shop that she'd had for, maybe 3 months, she got drunk, got on match.com and met a nice Army sergeant, that she married. He made her finish her degree. She then got pregnant 3 times in a row and is a stay-at-home Army wife. What an incredible waste of time and money. She wouldn't have appreciated free textbooks and wouldn't have made the effort to get them. I think the goal was (and is) to spend as much money as possible.

Some kids are not, and never will be, college material. (Of course, this kid's parents had a lot to do with it.)

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: DocHorton] #7532923 06/12/19 09:17 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
be.

Yup.

Case in point Doc...

LINK

Kid graduates from a no name college with a degree in Public Relations and is then amazed when he can't find a job utilizing said degree. rolleyes

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Superduty] #7533132 06/12/19 03:40 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Weird that a post gets twisted on THF. bang

It's a post about free textbooks. Not about which degree plan you should follow or which college is right for you.

Re: Free college text books, Wow [Re: Choctaw] #7533143 06/12/19 03:54 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Weird that a post gets twisted on THF. bang

It's a post about free textbooks. Not about which degree plan you should follow or which college is right for you.

Well, because no one disagrees about text books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide