New Hunter Advice on Stainless versus Blued #7454372 03/09/19 06:54 AM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Hey there guys,

A few months ago I asked about what I should be using for hunts and overwhelmingly I was told to go with Tikka. After looking at AR15s and AR10s as I was also advised, I have reached the conclusion after about a month of research on the subject that Tikka is what I want. However, I am still very much at a loss on what the difference is between stainless and blued barrels. Below I have included the three options I have been looking at most.

The Tikka T3x Hunter Blued .308 at $729 (Because it's $200 cheaper)
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ti...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4898641

The Tikka T3x Hunter Stainless Steel .308 at $978 (Because I was informed this is the best)
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ti...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5023569

The Tikka T3x Laminated Stainless Steel .308 at $948 (Because I was informed this is the best and is more durable then a normal wooden stock
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ti...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=5023607

My understanding is that Stainless Steel last longer, holds tighter groupings longer, is resistant to many different weather conditions. However, I have heard the same claims for blued steel. I am not sure why the prices are so different other then the assumption that stainless steel is harder to make/find/produce.

My goal was to have one rifle that was accurate (Tikka) that would work for Hog, Deer, and Elk (.308 according to Bass Pro shop). Not that I've narrowed down to a brand and a caliber, I am asking for help again of the Texas Hunting Forum community on barrel material. Mainly because no one really seems to answer the question. So I guess what I really need is the differences clarified.

[Linked Image])

What are the pros and cons of each barrel in your opinions? Do you shoot blued or stainless steel and why?

Thanks guys!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Stainless versus Blued [Re: MrPustka] #7454453 03/09/19 02:01 PM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
My go-to rifle for hunting is a Savage 7MM-08, and it is in stainless with composite stock. I bought that because of the harsh weather conditions we can have here. I don't have any maintenance on it beyond cleaning out the dust. If it gets wet, I dry it. I like shooting in WD40 but I grew up that way.

I have also shot BPCR with a blued barreled Shiloh, and shot some of those matches in conditions that were one step away from shooting underwater. I had to be on top of the cleaning and oiling between relays or I'd rust. Granted, BP is corrosive, and that is a big difference in this discussion.

I wish I had a Tikka. I think any of the 3 you are choosing from are grand choices, including caliber. In the end, it is going to come down to what you really like. The price points are not that far apart when you consider it will be your "forever" rifle.

Remember, put a good scope on it too. It doesn't have to be $5K glass either. A good Leopold will service your needs for a very long time. But do that homework too to make sure you consider what you:
1. Need
2. Want
in that order....

-d

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock #7454585 03/09/19 05:13 PM
M
MrPustka Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
M
Hello there again guys!

Recently I had asked about the difference bewteen stainless and blued barrels and as a result I will be going with a blued barrel. However what appears to be the last dilemma was the stock.
I am pretty utilitarian and don't care for the look of wood over synthetic, but rather I am not sure the difference in durability. Due to my lack of experience perhaps there is something that I am not looking at as well in regards to the the discussion? Regardless I've narrowed down my choices to the following in .308 for hunting in Texas.

Tikka T3x Synthetic stock in .308
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ti...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4988145

Tikka T3x Walnut Stock in .308
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ti...-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=4898641

Seem like Synthetic is cheaper but more uniformed in production, military seems to use them so it appears good enough for the USA armed forces. Apparently a good all around weather gun that is more durable while being lighter.

Wood seem to be more expensive and more of art and takes finer craftsmanship, but I am not looking for beauty but instead functionality. However it has more weight and seems that it could be just as durable.

What do you guys use? Do you prefer wood or synthetic and why?

Thanks again guys!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454587 03/09/19 05:16 PM
H
hornetfan63 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I prefer synthetic.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454588 03/09/19 05:18 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I would choose synthetic

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454592 03/09/19 05:25 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
My eye is starting to twitch...

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454593 03/09/19 05:25 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Much of the choice is personal preference on what you feel looks and handles best. As a general rule, a synthetic stock is going to hold up better to the elements because plastic doesn't swell when it gets and stays wet. However, a good coat of wax will protect a wood stock all day long. Synthetic stocks that look like wood is a good choice for those wanting the benefits of both. Weight is another consideration, but for different reasons. A lightweight, synthetic stock is going to mean less weight to carry back into the mountains, but yields more recoil due to less mass (F=ma).

I'm one of the more traditionalists who admire the beauty of the grain in a wood stock. And while I've never asked to see another rifle because I didn't like the grain of the wood when buying one, I can understand the mentality of those who have done so.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454599 03/09/19 05:34 PM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
All personal preference and both have the pluses or minuses. I prefer synthetic because it’s more durable for how I use it. I’m rough on them and don’t always have a way to dry and clean immediately after a wet hunt. It is lighter weight typically so felt recoil is usually higher. Doesn’t bother me. Wood scratches and dings easier and finish won’t hold up as well how I use them. I do love a nice wood stock just not something I prefer to hunt with.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454630 03/09/19 06:14 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
My primary hunting rifle this season was a Tikka 6.5x55 with a nice wood stock. That dang rifle gave me anxiety trying to take care of it. I’m not very nice to rifles as a rule. They do look nice though.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454662 03/09/19 07:15 PM
T
texasdude28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
As others have said, it comes down to personal preference. I like wood unless the gun is specifically for use near the ocean or if it is going to see strenuous duty, like elk or ram hunting.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454695 03/09/19 08:46 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I hunt with wood and synthetic stocks and mostly blued barrels. No big deal hunting in rain, snow or sun. If the wood is sealed and the metal is the same then hunt. If a stock gets scratched, it happens just character marks. Seal them off and go. Years ago I started using Corrosion-X on my rifles and handguns. No rust issues hunting in rain ever.

I do have a few synthetic stocks but for some reason never really warmed up to them, guess old school and prefer blued steel and wood. My current favorite hunting rifle wears a fairly plain wood stock blued action and stainless barrel. Rain no issue hunting with it.

Hunting with an old Remington 788 with an old Weaver 2-7X32 scope one rainy Mississippi afternoon, the scope had apparently lost its seal and had a water ingress issue. After sitting there in rain for about 3 hours a good buck showed up about 100 yards out. Looked at him through the scope and it was about 1/3 full of water. Put the cross hairs on his shoulder and hit exactly where I was aiming. That night took the scope off and the action out of the stock, dried every thing off put it back together and replaced the scope. Shot it in the next day and killed another deer with it that afternoon. Take care of wood stocked blued gun and they are no problem.

Remember Stainless Steel can rust if exposed too much or to salty or corrosive things like blood. or salt water. Synthetic stocks are not all equal, those cheap tupperware stocks can warp in dry heat or other conditions and I avoid them like the plague

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454720 03/09/19 10:02 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Synthetic is more durable. I prefer nice looking wood, but that's just personal preference.

.308 barrels are long lived compared to most. You'll have to do a lot of high volume target shooting to wear one out.

It sounds like a SS/synthetic rig is what you want. You can't really go wrong with any of those choices. Buy whatever you happen to like best for whatever reason. It'll do fine.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7454923 03/10/19 04:45 AM
T
turbotj Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Well I hunted with and shot many a deer with a 30'06 over the last 40+ years. My primary hunting rifle had a wood stock, blued barreled action, was treated like crap for many years and still shoots slights out year after year. Buy what you like best, trust me it will out last you, just be sure not to forget the optics are your best friend and that is where you should spend your money. That being said Tikka / Sako are my go to rifles these days, only because I like great triggers, smooth actions and great accuracy!

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7455774 03/11/19 04:04 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I primarily hunt with wood. I prefer the feel of it in my hands and I much prefer a 'pretty' stock to the more utilitarian straight-grained stuff on most of the guns on the shelves today (TDK, there ARE some of us out here that prefer the workmanship you put into your stocks).
In addition, I have a couple of firearms that are wood-stocked that are over 100 years old. The wood has the marks of being used for over a century. Neither is in the realm of what TDK produces, but, I like them.

That said, using YOUR guidelines, I'd suggest you go with a synthetic of some sort. Tikka's synthetic stocks leave something to be desired by many out here but, they do work and work well. Should you desire a different synthetic, they're out there for extra $$$. All in all, the synthetics I have shoot well in their factory stocks and I'm satisfied with them. They don't get carried out too often for a real hunt, but when they do, they work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7455782 03/11/19 04:11 PM
W
Wayward287 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Synthetic stocks and forearms tent to be lighter, but they hold up better to nicks and dings. Wood stocks swings better due the slightly added weight.

Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7455849 03/11/19 05:46 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Each has their obvious pros and cons. It really comes down to how you intend to use the tool. As a person who likes to take care of their tools, the negatives associated with wood don’t bother me. Do I mind if they get some scuffs or dents, absolutely not? But I’m also not going to use my stock as a walking stick or canoe paddle. Some will roll their eyes, but I also gain a connection with custom made wood stocked guns that I just haven’t gotten with synthetic. But, some might see that as a deterrent. It’s still a tool made for a job.

The synthetic stock fans will tout their stability, durability, and accuracy in varying conditions. Very true. Were I think a wood stock CAN shine is in shootability in hunting conditions. Not all wood stocks “have it”, but a custom fitted wood stock can. The handling, fit, feel, balance, and ergonomics can all be tailored to its owner for a very shootable package. Most synthetic stocks are made in a mold to dimensions that may or may not work for you. The exception being Joe Smithson or D’ Arcy Echols synthetic hunting rifles.

Weight...I can make a wood stocked rifle pretty light.

You know a rifle has it when you can put shots into vitals at 200yds off hand with no sights, just pointing it like a shotgun.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7459091 03/15/19 02:27 PM
B
bholt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
As the Famous scholar and actor Chill Wills would say [/b] PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE,[b] give the boy a chance to breath.
MrPustka, you can't go wrong how about that, stainless cost about 100.00 more than blue, plastic is cheaper than wood, and wood is cheaper than laminate. I have blued rifles that are 40+ years old they are blued and on wood stocks. They have been in the rain and yes they have a scratch or two on the them, but so do I. Don' t overthink this, I recently bought my first stainless plastic rifle, yes it was a Tikka lite in the 6.5 Creedmoor, and yes I love it. That said, it's plastic, I don't care what anyone says about or calls their version it's plastic. But I am a Dinosaur I know it, accept it, and don't apologise for it.
Be more concerned about your budget for the gun and scope when making your choice, if you get a plastic rifle and want to change to a different stock you can do that very simply. I get that you're just starting and don't let any of us give the impression there is only one way to go. I know of people who have killed mule deer and elk with a .243. I also know someone who went elk hunting never sighted it in for zero, dropped it, then wounded a elk had to shoot it eight times. All of this with a 300 win. mag. It ain't the size of the bullet it's the placement. I no longer own a rifle larger than a .270, my favorite is my 25-06 witch WILL drive nails.
Buy what you like and can afford, get some decent glass for it, then shoot it, clean it, shoot it, get to know that gun so well you start believing it has a auto-pilot to it. that more important after all a a member say's only acurate guns are interesting. Good luck and have fun.

B Holt
Shoot-em in the ear
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7464654 03/21/19 10:24 PM
S
scrambler Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
My vote is certainly in the synthetic camp as well. Almost all my rifles are synthetic--certainly the ones I hunt with.

Scrambler
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7465164 03/22/19 03:29 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
All but one of my rifles are wood and all but one are blue barrel. Why? because I like the look of wood better. Buy what you like and then as many others have said, Shoot it over and over and over again at paper, before you ever go hunting for an animal..

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: New Hunter Advice on Synthetic versus Wood stock [Re: MrPustka] #7465176 03/22/19 03:37 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I like wood on my shotguns and synthetic on rifles.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide