Print Thread
Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. #7450797 03/05/19 05:00 PM
E
Exiled Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
My wife found the first shed while running our dogs, and then my youngest son and I went out on Friday after dinner and found the rest! These are suburban deer that live in the areas behind our house, and I'm still looking for the sheds from the Big Eight and Ten Plus Kicker bucks that I've been spotting all year. I live in the north-central part of the county, between Round Rock and Georgetown between Ronald Reagan Blvd and I-35.

Attached Files 2019 sheds.jpgShed monster.jpg

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: Exiled] #7450822 03/05/19 05:12 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
wow y'all did good good luck on finding the big ones.

Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: Exiled] #7450857 03/05/19 05:38 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
likely some of those are coming off of the Texas Crushed Stone property??? Years ago, I worked at Westinghouse (now TECO) and they owned about 700 acres that they sold off to TCS in the 1980s ... there were some really good deer back in that area.

I live between Ronald Reagan & IH35 but off of hwy 29 ... with all the new construction, our deer have gotten pretty scarce the last 6+ months.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: PMK] #7450989 03/05/19 07:28 PM
E
Exiled Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
Yes, my neighborhood backs up to TCS, and because there's no pressure there you see some pretty big bucks and lots of hogs.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: Exiled] #7451109 03/05/19 09:21 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
yep, back in the late 70s to early 80s, I got to go out back several times and saw some really nice deer. There's an old story regarding that area, actually just slightly north of there, from back in the 1950s. 3 old ranchers that owned property from the then western edge of Georgetown out about 5-6 miles west of town, from the north San Gabriel to roughly Inner Space (hadn't been found). D.B. Wood, Jay Wolf and one other who's name escapes me. Anyway, legend has it the three ranchers all loved to hunt and liked big antlers. The three of them went in and bought a south Texas trophy buck, waited until the antlers dropped and had a vet cauterize the antler bed so it wouldn't grow antlers again, put a collar on it and turned it loose in the center of their 3 properties for breeding purposes. Back in those days no does were allowed to be shot legally and only later were there doe tags that were landowner provided to anyone hunting. In the mean time, the south Texas buck started doing his thing in breeding does and within the next 5+ years, some really nice bucks started showing up around the western part of Georgetown between the North & South San Gabriel rivers on out 5-6 miles west of where IH35 is now.

I remember back in the mid 1960s, my dad and I went to Gtown to pick up some tires from Mr. Lackey (Sinclair & Goodyear distributor for Williamson county, my dad was same for Burnet County) that got shipped there instead of Burnet. As we pulled into Mr. Lackey service station (SW corner of Austin Ave. & University Ave.) there was a crowd of men hovering around the back of a pickup. We went to investigate since it was during deer season and upon looking in the bed of the truck, saw a monster buck that was as wide as the pickup bed was deep and then some. I don't recall how many points but it was massive looking at it standing on the rear bumper (I was just a little kid). Dad knew several of the men and they visited about the deer. Dad asked which one of ya'll shot this deer and was it from NM or CO? They laughed and said it was killed about 2-3 miles west of town. That's when the above history story was told to my dad and me. Anyway, they took it to Jay Wolf's wool & mohair store (also Gulf Station, just east of where hwy 29 crosses the south San Gabriel) and weighed it, and it field dressed over 190 lbs from a cotton scale used to weigh the bags of mohair.

much later in my life, mid '90s, I was working for a guy that grew up in Georgetown that was also an avid hunter. He had worked at Wolf's Gulf station and the wool & mohair business as a boy, junior high age. When I told him the above story, his eyes widened and said yes, there was a picture of that deer that hung in Wolf's Gulf station along with a picture of the scale that weighed it until it was finally torn down. I don't know if any of the old Wolf family members still in the area might still have it or not, but I will ask...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: Exiled] #7451871 03/06/19 05:59 PM
E
Exiled Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
E
That's a great story, thanks for sharing! Most of the bucks in my area probably have their bedding areas and seek refuge in Williamson County Regional Park, which is only about 1/2 mile from my house. I've seen the same bucks that congregate in my fields within the park's boundaries, and they're not pressured around here so they get to grow big, There's one in particular, a 5.5 year old that we call TPK (Ten Plus Kicker, he's a wide mainframe ten with a big kicker off of the right G2) that we've been watching since he was a 2 yr old. He's a big bodied, healthy buck with big haunches and a neck that really swells up during the rut, maybe he's one of the descendants of the buck above? Who knows, but I like the story and maybe those South Texas genes still live around here. We also have three very mature does that hang together, always throw out twins, and are HUGE-bodied.

Update to the original post: I went out last night before my son's soccer practice and froze my behind out there for a while, searching for the big sheds. Got a couple of forkie sheds (non matching) and one off a spike. No big ones this time.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Re: Antlers dropping in Williamson Co. [Re: Exiled] #7451906 03/06/19 06:32 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well done. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com