Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: helomech] #7438710 02/19/19 07:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by helomech
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by helomech
My question to this is. When I kill a deer and process it and put it in my freezer it is no longer considered a deer. It is just meat. When I process a migratory game bird, is it still considered a migratory game bird, or is it just considered meat, like my deer?

Per law fed has no management of state wildlife with two exceptions ESA protections and Migratory waterfowl. Think Texas red snapper seaso/limitsn also

I Know a guy that got his butt handed to him for bringing duck sausage into the US from a Canadian hunt.

Yeah, there are some crazy laws about bringing stuff over the border. Was watching a show on it a while back. So many things can get you in hot water.

Fed differs on procession and processed/final destination definitions or at least did, guessing still do.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7438746 02/19/19 07:43 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Following the rules is why I quit duck hunting. I cant I'd the birds well enough in flight to keep me out of trouble so I quit lol it was fun while I was willing to chance fate and fines etc.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: redchevy] #7438831 02/19/19 09:23 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Following the rules is why I quit duck hunting. I cant I'd the birds well enough in flight to keep me out of trouble so I quit lol it was fun while I was willing to chance fate and fines etc.

This and steel shot are why I quit...….

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: redchevy] #7438850 02/19/19 09:37 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by redchevy

You sir are a fine example...wish so many would follow

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439235 02/20/19 05:53 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Well Kuby's only takes 10+ lbs of duck meat or more. GW hangs there a lot and could care less as long as you have it tagged or a license. The state vs fed has been debated since forum started. I would never worry about it. Shoot your limit and never have more than possession in the field until you get home which is final destination for most of us.

Remember when state law was 2 days for dove. You had to eat a limit for dinner if you wanted to hunt legally a 3rd day. Duck you can't eat in the field. Crazy laws...

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439413 02/20/19 02:58 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
As KingHunter17's letter said it is a Federal Violation. The only time I can vaguely remember a violation of the federal possession law being enforced was after a search warrant related to a more serious game law crime and was just another violation tacked on with the more serious violation or violations the person was being arrested for.

There are a lot of things that are game violations by the book that are either not enforced, not widely known, unenforceable, or just plain silly. For example the discussion came up on the forum once asking if a shot and lost bird counts towards your bag limit. The written answer from TPWD was yes it counts.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439446 02/20/19 03:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Thanks up i didn’t think it had changed, I’m not a lawyer or as well versed on regulations but I’d still hate to definitely tell someone the wrong thing,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Sniper John] #7439447 02/20/19 03:27 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Sniper John
As KingHunter17's letter said it is a Federal Violation. The only time I can vaguely remember a violation of the federal possession law being enforced was after a search warrant related to a more serious game law crime and was just another violation tacked on with the more serious violation or violations the person was being arrested for.

There are a lot of things that are game violations by the book that are either not enforced, not widely known, unenforceable, or just plain silly. For example the discussion came up on the forum once asking if a shot and lost bird counts towards your bag limit. The written answer from TPWD was yes it counts.

Interesting about the unrecovered bird. My huner ed instructor said lost/unrecovered deer don't count against your bag limit.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439473 02/20/19 03:54 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
I think the consensus on a deer was that you could not definitively say it was a mortal wound if you could not track and recover it. A bird that folds and falls is either dead or soon will be. There would of course be some subjectivity and self policing if you wanted to ethically follow this. Back when this was discussed on the forum someone did post about a game warden watching them from a distance and later taking the time to find a bird the shooter lost, then writing them a ticket. I do not remember if they said it was for over the limit or failure to retrieve or both.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439493 02/20/19 04:09 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
In almost 50 years of hunting I’ve never met anyone who was concerned or even considered the question of whether game at home in their freezer counted towards their possession limit in the field. Never heard it mentioned until this thread.

Even discussing the issue is classic off-season internet fodder - useless in any practical respect. Maybe some bureaucrat with nothing else to do but try to stretch and strain an answer might see it differently, but who cares?Anyone who limits what they could otherwise legally shoot under bag/possession limit laws because of legally taken game they have in the freezer at home has taken common sense and strangled it to death.

JMHO.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7439505 02/20/19 04:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
In almost 50 years of hunting I’ve never met anyone who was concerned or even considered the question of whether game at home in their freezer counted towards their possession limit in the field. Never heard it mentioned until this thread.

Even discussing the issue is classic off-season internet fodder - useless in any practical respect. Maybe some bureaucrat with nothing else to do but try to stretch and strain an answer might see it differently, but who cares?Anyone who limits what they could otherwise legally shoot under bag/possession limit laws because of legally taken game they have in the freezer at home has taken common sense and strangled it to death.

JMHO.

Only two words need to be known here, "Final Destination". If your game has reached its final destination, then it does not count against possession limit. I have about 600 lbs of venison in my freezer right now and I haven't quit deer hunting, yet. Going Thursday through Sunday and hope to add another couple hundred pounds! MLD III

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439510 02/20/19 04:26 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Nogalus,
The Federal law as said originates from international treaty. My best guess is the federal possession limit thing goes all the way back to the purpose of the migratory treaty act in 1918 which mostly was to eliminate market hunting. No one is concerned about it today anymore than they are about someone shooting a buffalo from their second story hotel room. Another law still on the books.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7439511 02/20/19 04:26 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I assumed as much John.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Sniper John] #7439520 02/20/19 04:39 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Nogalus, No one is concerned about it today anymore than they are about someone shooting a buffalo from their second story hotel room.

Love the analogy, Sniper!

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Sniper John] #7439644 02/20/19 07:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

I think you are talking about The idiot that was charged being over Federal Possession limit a few years back, I think he hit an owl took a selfie with it in his boat at boat ramp after accidentally hitting with truck and then Feds got a warrant looking for the owl and ended up with ticketing him with exceeding federal possession limit of geese in his freezer? Think that was the jest of it. Never heard if they got him on the owl possession or if any tickets stuck. Bet it wasn’t a cheap photo opportunity

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7439671 02/20/19 07:46 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I think you are talking about The idiot that was charged being over Federal Possession limit a few years back, I think he hit an owl took a selfie with it in his boat at boat ramp after accidentally hitting with truck and then Feds got a warrant looking for the owl and ended up with ticketing him with exceeding federal possession limit of geese in his freezer? Think that was the jest of it. Never heard if they got him on the owl possession or if any tickets stuck. Bet it wasn’t a cheap photo opportunity

WOW, that would suck!!

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: fouzman] #7440097 02/21/19 02:34 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by fouzman
Nogalus, No one is concerned about it today anymore than they are about someone shooting a buffalo from their second story hotel room.

Love the analogy, Sniper!

Is 3rd story alright? confused2 smile ani

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7440209 02/21/19 05:36 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is a hotly debated topic over at another hunting forum. Some say that even if you have duck turned into sausage, that the sausage counts towards your possession limit (how would they even know how many ducks are actually in the sausage?).

To me, it’s absurd. Bag limits, fine. But as long as I don’t go over my daily bag limit, why does it matter how many I have at my home, if they were all legally obtained? If I duck hunt everyday of the season and get a limit every day of the season, I don’t see the problem if I have them in my freezer.

Sure, it’s not going to be enforced, but it seems ridiculous. Especially if the birds are processed and made into sausage.

Someone else mentioned the amount of duck meat processors require to make sausage. Saving your meat over the course of a season to take to a processor could easily result in a hunter being over the possession limit, even though they’re all taken legally. I think that’s wrong.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7440343 02/21/19 02:18 PM
P
PoppinPiggies Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
P
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
This is a hotly debated topic over at another hunting forum. Some say that even if you have duck turned into sausage, that the sausage counts towards your possession limit (how would they even know how many ducks are actually in the sausage?).

To me, it’s absurd. Bag limits, fine. But as long as I don’t go over my daily bag limit, why does it matter how many I have at my home, if they were all legally obtained? If I duck hunt everyday of the season and get a limit every day of the season, I don’t see the problem if I have them in my freezer.

Sure, it’s not going to be enforced, but it seems ridiculous. Especially if the birds are processed and made into sausage.

Someone else mentioned the amount of duck meat processors require to make sausage. Saving your meat over the course of a season to take to a processor could easily result in a hunter being over the possession limit, even though they’re all taken legally. I think that’s wrong.

up ^^^ I agree

Follow me on instagram @crosstexasoutdoors
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7440376 02/21/19 02:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I agree but as vintage as it is, it’s been used/enforced. As with any law it’s best to atleast be consequence of it, instead of dismissing it.

Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: PoppinPiggies] #7441223 02/22/19 06:31 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Agree, Bobo. Need to be conscious of it, and I am. I will complain about it and talk about it’s abaurdity whenever it comes up.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Possession Limit Question?? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7442272 02/23/19 03:11 PM
M
mark3 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
I think the fed warden also noticed a refuge sign or something the guy had hanging in his garage and ticketed him for that too. If I remember correctly he invited the guy in without a warrant and was reminding everyone to be wary of allowing a home search without a warrant.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide