Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,917
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Choctaw] #7377227 12/14/18 10:17 PM
S
Sparta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by BigBrother
I know a guy who's friend shot a buck that wasn't legal for that county, so the guy put his deer tag on the animal and said it came from another county. Is that legal?

Big Brother welcome to the Madness laugh I see this is your first post. Not trying to be a wise azz but with your question I was curious if you been hunting very long?
98% of the people on here are great, 1% good and the last 1% well hammer so do not take anyone to seriously up

This is like a Colt .45 post. lizard

Heck, I didn't look at the name of the poster. I though it was Colt .45 bolt

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Sparta] #7377261 12/14/18 11:10 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sparta
Originally Posted by BigBrother
I know a guy who's friend shot a buck that wasn't legal for that county, so the guy put his deer tag on the animal and said it came from another county. Is that legal?

Big Brother welcome to the Madness laugh I see this is your first post. Not trying to be a wise azz but with your question I was curious if you been hunting very long?
98% of the people on here are great, 1% good and the last 1% well hammer so do not take anyone to seriously up

Same here....dang stub... rofl

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7377541 12/15/18 11:22 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Had my place for over 30 years. Lots of poachers over that time. Lots of resentment from locals about “Dallas Cowboys” buying up the land and keeping them from hunting “their” deer. Had a few altercations. I’ve talked to the GW but know he can’t monitor my land. I’ve caught a couple of them and been pretty blunt about my feelings.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7377553 12/15/18 12:15 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Didn’t have a pocaher, but a squatter. We found our picnic table, flat bottom boat, grill and other odds at his shack. We had no idea he lived there, and had been for a while. We were on 1100 acres, we could shoot anywhere we wanted from camp and be safe that it wouldn’t leave the property. One day after shooting, this burly angry monster came out of the woods screaming and cussing. We had our guns, he had a machete. Sheriffs showed up and hauled him off, but not until after he lead us to his shack. During our target practice that day we prob put 30 rounds into his shack.

Maybe he learned a lesson about squatting confused2

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7377672 12/15/18 03:07 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Three different occasions that I know about for certain.
Indiana - Had game cameras set out and caught a picture of someone walking out with their climbing stand. I set up a few more cameras and figured out the area he was hunting in. Was walking through the area and came upon his climbing stand leaning against a tree. Nice stand. Still have it. Never saw another picture of him on the place though.

Texas - near Brady - had a neighbor come over and complain about us shooting a couple of his lambs during the week. He was cordial about it all but you could tell he was miffed. While we were sitting and talking, one of the other hunters came in and stated he found two gut piles that none of us had done. (we gutted near the lake so we could toss them in for catfishing). I asked the neighbor to join us and we took a ride around to check feeders. 4 of the mechanisms had been stolen off of the barrels. We figured out they were coming in through an old wire gate that had a padlock on it. Tire tracks and boot prints. So, we set out a 2x8 with some spikes in it, buried in deep grass, and let everyone know not to come in that gate. I called the GW and let him know to be on the lookout.
Got a call from the GW on that Thursday that there was a pickup on the side of the FM rd with two flat tires. He was going to stake it out the rest of the day. Next day he called to say he'd arrested 4 HS kids. Three of them admitted to hunting our property.

Llano County - Our lease manager showed up in the middle of the week to hunt. Took a stand on a hill we called 'The Mountain'. While walking up, he saw flashights at a stand near the county road. He knew no one else was there and waited until daylight to walk up. He found a Father and Son in the stand. They said they'd paid for two days of hunting and their 'guide' had dropped them off after showing them where the stand was. Basically, the guide was selling hunts and putting people in stands he could see from the roads.
Our manager called the GW and the Father gave him all of the info. IIRC, they did catch the guy and the Dad got some of his $$ back. We invited the Father and son to come out and shoot some does and they were thrilled. Good people, all in all. Scum bag 'guide'.

Those are just the one's I know about. I know I've found wounded deer that none of us shot near the CR and on a couple of occasions, tire tracks that didn't match up with anyone being there. I'm sure it's happened more often than we all believe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Bbear] #7377867 12/15/18 08:09 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Last years lease had numerous people passing through, hunting etc. The place we were on was 1,800 acres and there was only 2 of us leased to from the guy who leased the grazing rights. I found numerous syringes at the entrance gate from meth monkeys. I called the GW and he was kind enough to watch the place when he had a chance.

On at least 2 different occasions we caught a truck and a ATV on trail cams that were not ours. Could have been pumpers etc. I know for a fact we had poachers because someone made themselves cozy and placed a pop up in some brush overlooking a wheat field. That was enough for me. Our main gate had 7 locks, Honestly have no idea why so many locks? so yeah

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7377930 12/15/18 10:14 PM
G
grizzlyman Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
G
Yep. One time we found corn in a place that we didn't bait. My BIL and I were the only two on the lease and neither of us did it. We could tell were they had used a climber on a tree right in front of the corn. We put a big yellow "No Trespassing" sign up on the tree. No more problems.

Another time a guy came walking from an adjoining lease up a trail that I was hunting. He was about 75 yards onto our land when he looked up and saw me 25 ft up a pine tree. He beat feet and for the next 45 mins I hear him shouting "hey" while he was walking on another neighbors land. I knew he didn't have permission to be there because that neighbor didn't allow hunting.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379087 12/17/18 03:46 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Yep. We caught a guy. Parks and wildlife got the buck mounted that he shot and they haul it around in their trailer called the wall of shame.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379176 12/17/18 05:18 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Never had verifiable proof, only the creations of a paranoid mind.

We did have someone drive through our fence a while back. No idea who it was or why. Im almost positive it was the electric company because a couple tings that happened all at that same time. The electric company lock got beat up on our chain. We got a new electric meter they don't have to come out and read, and somone flipped the main breaker at our meter killing power to everything (2 friges and freezers), but the electric company swears up and down it wasn't them.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379396 12/17/18 08:59 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Couple of different occasions. Last one a few days ago. I'm about to update my post about it. Damn road hunters. mad

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379561 12/17/18 10:58 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Forgot about this one.

[Linked Image]

Poached with a 12 gauge using bird shot. Deer ran onto our property and was found there the next morning. I know who did it.

This was done in the mid-to late-70's. Had this mount on mine or my Dad's wall ever since.

Last edited by Bbear; 12/17/18 10:59 PM.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379606 12/18/18 12:10 AM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Owned a ranch that was HF and I lived there. Had an 8 acre lake on it. Drove up in my Polaris one afternoon and there are two guys there - one on my pier fishing and the other in a tube also fishing. I got out and asked them who the hell they were and they said they just wanted to fish a little. So they scaled my HF and were enjoying themselves. I pulled my rifle out and told them to pack up and get their butts off my property. The did so. The next night my entrance to my ranch was destroyed - lights broken, etc.

I talked to the GW and he told me if that ever happens again make them leave their IDs - drivers license or whatever. Then call the GW and they would go arrest them

You can't fix stupid
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379965 12/18/18 04:57 AM
D
djs303 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
I have evidence of it happening twice. One time I found a two way portable radio laying in the middle of a road in the pasture. I believe it was a hog hunter with dogs as I found a bunch of dog tracks along the road as well.

Second time I was sitting in my stand and the neighbor and his friend started shooting at deer about 400 yards from their fence line. That was pretty scary as I heard the bullets wiz by before hearing the report of the rifle. Sheriff's office came out and arrested both for being felons in possession of firearms, drug charges and assorted other charges.. Both went to prison and I have not had any problems that I know of since and that was more than 10 years ago.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379980 12/18/18 05:56 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Happens way more than I care to think about n my place in Mississippi. Have had it happen and cameras stolen on a lease here.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7379996 12/18/18 09:36 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I've had cameras stolen and things like that lots of times. I've even found chairs they left under a tree where they had been hunting, along with empty drink bottles, etc. I've basically given up calling the game wardens on the poachers and trespassers though. The wardens always seem to have excuses for not showing up and are only interested if you can dump a complete case in their lap ready to prosecute. I've given them pictures of trespassers from game cameras and they just handed them back saying hey didn't recognize the guys. Most of dealing with the wardens is a waste of time as far as I am concerned.
I have a dead doe laying by the shore in a lake I monitor right now, and I would guess there is a bullet or bullet hole in it somewhere....illegally. If I were to call the warden, my experience is they would just ignore the whole situation, so I'll just let the buzzards and turtles take care of the situation.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7381731 12/19/18 09:20 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
About 10 years ago, found a cartridge casing in my blind from a caliber that I do not own. None of the sons/grandsons have a rifle in that caliber.
I grant access thru my property to a ranch that adjoins mine on the south fence.
Figured it was one of the owners/guests from that ranch. My dogs found a deer skull later that season that was within 100 yards of the blind.
No problems since that time.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7382103 12/20/18 04:14 AM
S
SpillingCorn Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Nacogdoches county. Been on the lease there 8 years. Only once (knock on wood) had a guy on camera that we didnt know. But no weapon in hand only a machete and cows had been on our place earlier that week. I leave feeders up full time its a pretty remote spot.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7382169 12/20/18 09:41 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
There are guys that like to hog hunt on the land next to ours. There is an old well pad that they stage up on and then let the dogs loose. I live 20 minutes from the land and am down there the most. Most of my other relatives live over 100 miles away and only come maybe 1 or 2 times a season. So I am sure the guys hog hunting think our land is abandoned. I was sitting at my favorite duck hole one day, and i heard the pickups come in next door. They parked at the far end of the pad along the fence with our property. A few minutes later, I hear a dog baying, and hear brush rattling between my position and theirs. Next thing I know, a small hog runs across the tank dam across the tank from me (20 yards max, small pond), about 5 seconds later a hog dog runs past hot on his trail. I am betting they think our land is empty and are hunting it. I take my shotgun and fire a shot into the air in a safe direction . About 5 minutes later I hear doors slamming and trucks high tailing it out of the area. I will still catch an occasional hog dog on trail cam, but have not had any more problems with them interrupting hunts.

Last edited by bull279; 12/20/18 09:42 AM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7382899 12/21/18 01:18 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Several times here. Way back in the eighties we even caught An ex Dallas Cowboy poaching turkeys here.

Last edited by huntwest; 12/21/18 01:20 AM.
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: TexasVine] #7382924 12/21/18 01:46 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TexasVine
We have property in East Texas, it is common there.

I'd wager more than any other part of the State. We don't have as many 'deer' poachers as in the past...but 'Hog Doggers' are a monthly occurrence and the most brazen about it.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: SpillingCorn] #7382929 12/21/18 01:51 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by SpillingCorn
Nacogdoches county. Been on the lease there 8 years. Only once (knock on wood) had a guy on camera that we didnt know. But no weapon in hand only a machete and cows had been on our place earlier that week. I leave feeders up full time its a pretty remote spot.

Count yourself lucky. I live in the same County and not much has changed in the 30+ years I have been here. Very different attitude about property lines than from Central Texas where I came from.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7382947 12/21/18 02:01 AM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
In Oklahoma we have them constantly, this year we had a poacher set up a bear drum

Big Beckett!!
Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: Mr. T.] #7389368 12/29/18 05:57 PM
T
TruckMan66 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Not sure if I have ever seen poachers on our land. We have had some trespassers that have left "can goods" on our property. I figured some illegals passing thru. I know we have had neighbors riding their four wheelers on our property as well (multiple times) due to our property has an easement road going thru the bottom. They have been told several times to stay off. However with that said we do have a different neighbor that runs his cows on our property that keeps an eye out for anything suspicious. I guess we have been lucky.

Re: Just wondering, how many of you have had a poacher on your land? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7389398 12/29/18 06:32 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Sparta
[quote=BigBrother]I know a guy who's friend shot a buck that wasn't legal for that county, so the guy put his deer tag on the animal and said it came from another county. Is that legal?

Same here....dang stub... rofl

in case your confused Big Brother the colt.45 they refuring to tis me, theirs another, more liked, colt45 , welcome ta the forum.... The posts that end with flag tis ones they talkn bout.... Thought whin ya get put on ignorance list the posts didnt show ? They'll explain... got D- in grammer... back ta topic...
flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide