One of the reasons I enjoy shooting pdogs is to see them fly into the air after a hit. Another reason is, I enjoy the challenge of shooting at unknown distances and in the wind. I had a really accurate Savage model 12 VLP DBM in .243. While it really late the smack down on pdogs I never got to see any of the action. I also have a couple Savage Model 12's in .223. Both are very accurate as well. While shooting pdogs at 4-500 yards with them is pretty tuff I do get to see all the action, because the recoil doesn't affect my view thru the scope enough to keep me from seeing whats going on after the shot. With that in mind, i re-barreled the 12 VLP DBM from 243 to a 22-250 and now I enjoy the action with that rifle as well. In fact it worked so well, I bought another one in 22-250 so I can switch out rifle and keep them from getting hot. I have 4 Model 12's in the rotation now.

Sp keep in mind the however small the felt recoil might be with lager caliber's, is it enough to throw you off target at longer ranges?

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.