Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7354103 11/21/18 01:50 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Here is a reply I gave several years ago on how I rattle. I learned by trial and error. I found out what worked for me did not always work for the next guy on a different ranch or lease. IME, the week or so prior to peak of the rut and then the week or so after the peak of the rut was the best times to rattle. Seeing deer up and moving is also been the most important key IME for success. What I have seen most people do is being to timid with rattling at first, lack aggressiveness and length of the rattling sequence. About 12-14 days ago now I rattled 5 bucks in over an hour period on a morning where it was humid, muggy and 76 deg with fog. I have rattled bucks in with all kinds of weather but I prefer a 40's day with light wind, mist and overcast. My favorite set of rattling horns are 30 yrs old now and show the use. They still give that "smoke" smell from friction when I rattle with them. I hate to change but may try to find me a new set this next spring. I will add this if a buck holds up just out of range or you can not get a good look at him the snort wheeze at him. Be ready cause they will start jumping over brush or cactus to get in your lap. up
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Rattling is all about timing and using the right amount or "type" of rattling at the right time. Bucks react differently to rattling depending on the stage of the rut. For me the best time is the week before the peak of the rut. Then about a few days after the peak. You need a decent buck to do ratio but can you can still rattle in bucks no matter what the ratio is. They all react different to how aggressive they come into rattling. Some will sneak in, some will charge in, some will only move when you rattle and then stop when you stop and some will trot in slowly being while others might be very cautious. For me I will rattle if I see bucks up and moving or "cruising" checking new territory or for does. If two bucks are fighting they are not playing but trying to kill each other so don't be timid with your rattling if they are moving in quickly. Some fights last a long time while others are only a few seconds. Other times they move in slowly and it might take 7 or 10 or 15 or even 30 minutes to appear. Many older bucks will stall out if you have other younger bucks in close if your timing(for the rut) is off just a bit. Best to rattle in pairs with the rattler separated from the shooter. Use the wind to your advantage knowing bucks will try to circle downwind from you. So put some open cover downwind if possible to give you the opportunity to see them first. When they are moving in quickly or aggressively there is no better hunting experience than to rattle in 8-12 bucks in a few short minutes. Picking you location to rattle is almost as important as the timing. I prefer real antlers for rattling but fake or synthetic ones will work. Don't over rattle by rattling aggressively and to much to early. Don't be timid or shy with your rattling either, experiment and remember what worked or did not work along with the timing as to the rut. I have rattled with does in front of me and they only lifted their heads to see what the commotion was then went back to feeding. It is all about timing and adjusting how you rattle with what the deer are doing. I have rattled from a blind with success but the most success was to get into a travel corridor or feed/food plot or travel area close to a buck bedding area. Weather is important also, cold/drizzly/misty days with temps in the upper 30's to mid 40's was always my favorite. The less wind the better, so the sound carries. You will be amazed at how a buck can pinpoint your exact spot just from a rattle or two. I always use a grunt tube when rattling also. Just remember you are imitating a fight and how aggressive the fight will be is the time of the year. So don't be afraid to rattle and make some noise. To bucks fighting are noisy and running over or into brush, trees limbs or rocks. If what you are doing does not work in one location does not mean it won't work 1/4 mile away in a different location.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7354108 11/21/18 01:53 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I will share my rattling that has worked. I start with some pack rack, at first I lightly meet them and start to vary the intensity during each set of 30-45 seconds. I will bring them together loudly, moderately and even lighter during the sets. I will grind them and lock them turning hard, less hard, always varying the intensity. Next, I follow it with 4-5 loud and fast grunts based on deer grunting I have heard before. After a 15-30 second pause, I continue this process again for 15-30 minutes or until l bring a buck out.

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: GusWayne] #7354110 11/21/18 01:54 AM
R
richard-ssv Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I rattled off a hog and then a shooter buck came in 20 mins later, does that count?

I have two feeders in view from my blind, one is 100 yards away to the north down in a valley and the other is 75 yards away to the west on the same ridge where my blind sits. I had a young buck on my feeder down in the valley and a hog on my feeder up on the ridge at the same time.

I didn’t want to shoot the hog because I didn’t want to scare off the buck, so I rattled some horns. The hog took off, but the buck didn’t even flinch. About 20 mins after the hog left a shooter 10 point came to the feeder where the hog was and I took him.

Don’t think I can claim that I rattled a buck in, but had I not rattled the hog off the buck would have never come. So yes, I’m a fan of rattling.

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: GusWayne] #7354113 11/21/18 01:58 AM
C
ctonsmitty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
get some new horns would be my suggestion

rattling works at least some of the time

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7354611 11/21/18 05:58 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
rattling has been unbelievable the last week in Throckmorton City, we have several days where we got 10-20 bucks over the course of a day including 19 this morning. I rattle aggressively and have never used a grunt tube or made a grunting noise once in 30 years of rattling. I don't kick brush and I don't stomp around, whatever were doing it works good.

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: huntingbig8] #7354650 11/21/18 06:35 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by huntingbig8
rattling has been unbelievable the last week in Throckmorton City, we have several days where we got 10-20 bucks over the course of a day including 19 this morning. I rattle aggressively and have never used a grunt tube or made a grunting noise once in 30 years of rattling. I don't kick brush and I don't stomp around, whatever were doing it works good.

How big of ranch and are you hunting from the ground moving around?

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7357526 11/25/18 07:22 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Sorry TXduckman, been gone a lot and haven't stopped to look at the forum, I'm hunting about 700 acres of mostly open country on a big ranch near Throckmorton, then my family farm near Caddo that is 200 acres and 1 small place near PK that is 54 acres. We have rattled deer on all of the places this year, I only rattle for short intense sessions this time of year and move on, it's the rut, You can be aggressive. WE hit a spot for 10-15 minutes then move, I don't hardly ever hunt from a stand unless it just to glass. It's been a great year with a very intense rut and lots of bucks running hard, good days to stay out all day, Weather looks perfect to spend all day tomorrow out glassing and rattling.

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7357770 11/26/18 01:44 AM
J
JMalin Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I like to rattle in the tail end of the rut when most of the does have been bred and competition for those last few does gets stiff. I hunt in a relatively high density area. Buck doe ratios are pretty tight, but with so many deer, I feel the bucks will shy away from it somewhat early. Cover ground and if possible, have a partner. When the timing is right, the bucks will come running. No need to set up in a particular spot for an extended amount of time.

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7357860 11/26/18 03:23 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Good info. up

Re: Rattling - Success or Non-Success [Re: DQ Kid] #7358675 11/26/18 09:28 PM
S
snake pliskin Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Broke out the rattlin horns last weekend. Started at first light and had 6 different bucks come into 4 different locations. Unfortunately none were keepers as they were all young. I thought I was going to have to kill the last one to protect my partner that was doin the rattling as he was coming in right at him! Give me that kind of hunting any day over sitting in a stand. Problem is that there are 5 of us on our section and when everyone is there its just not safe or fair for the others to do it. Only had one spot that did not produce a buck.... that we saw anyway. Next year I will go during the middle of the week when I can be by myself. Will need to get a bipod for the #1 so I can be ready when they come in.

on particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%.....and that's pretty good.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide