Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Stub] #7348779 11/15/18 12:52 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Stub
Interesting topic. If a hard working person or a person who really cannot work and they cannot feed their family and there is plentiful game , I would not condemn or condone them.

You bet there are people who make good money and are on large leases with a lot of different type of game and they violate the game laws big time, these are the typical Chicken Chit POS hypocrites that condemn others that do hammer The mindset is they are above the law and can and will do anything to impress others into thinking they are big time hunters.
Then there are others who own a little land and have the attitude it is their land and they will do as they please, they are just idiots that do not care.
I am sure there are a few people on here who know people like that.

Was I perfect nope! I Might have shot one or two to many doves back in the 80's and early 90's Might have also violated one other game law in 88, other than that zero possible incidents. By the way, if I had possibly violated a couple of game laws way back then only God and a couple of friends might have known about it.

That sounds like an awfully specific memory. peep

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348791 11/15/18 01:19 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Illegal is illegal. When you set a precedent by making exceptions, the next exception is well on it's way, with more sure to come.

Same reason I like how the NRA fights to have no exceptions made to the 2nd.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348806 11/15/18 01:32 AM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
My first teaching job was in DEEP east Texas. I had families that lived off the land, for real.

They didn’t go to the store. If they didn’t raise it, kill it, or catch it, they didn’t eat.

One of my favorite stories to tell my hunter ed students is that I had students that shot the “robot deer” that game wardens use to catch poachers.

I’m not for poaching, but I do understand people that are in poverty doing what it takes to survive.

If it came down to it I’d harvest animals to feed my family.

On the other hand, some entitled so called hunter that really wants to shoot a trophy and will poach to do it, I have ZERO tolerance for that!!!!

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348892 11/15/18 03:15 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Other countries have seen a lot of animals become endangered because of poaching, People are going to eat whatever it takes. Hard to see that when you are born in America.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348912 11/15/18 03:44 AM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
For sure! Africa comes to mind. 1st world people trying to fix 3rd world problems!

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348916 11/15/18 03:56 AM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Not weighing in on poaching. It's hard to give advice to break the law.

I will say that our ministry in Wise County, Feeding Wise Kids, is now feeding about 400 kids a week over the weekend when there is no free school lunch or breakfast. That's just one Texas county and not a particularly heavily populated one at that.

Every school in our area has a list of homeless kids and on-the-edge kids. We are definitely not feeding every kid on free or reduced lunches, just the kids identified by teachers, counselors, and case workers as being at-risk of hunger and food stress. Last winter at Christmas break, we had some donated McDonald's gift certificates to put in their food backpacks. We got stories from teachers about 2d grade little girls crying because they could go to McDonalds for the first time ever. It seems that they always heard other kids talking about eating there, but their families had never had the money to go.

We have gotten feedback that a lot of kids who act out on Mondays were starved from missing meals on the weekends. Now they are not the problem kids any longer. And we have had parents leave the program because their situations have improved and they want to move out of the way so another family gets fed.

Sure, a lot of these poverty issues stem from parents' bad decisions, drugs, alcohol, etc. But it's hard to let an innocent child go hungry, whoever is at fault. I guess until I have a hungry child crying because their belly is empty, I am not qualified to answer whether there is ever an excuse to poach.

God is so good to me.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348924 11/15/18 04:10 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Not gonna lie, I did a lot of poaching during my teens and early 20's but out of necessity. For a period we were broke and hungry and I was the only one with the ability to put food on the table. I worked 2 jobs and couldn't keep up after paying bills. I killed deer from the road, I spotlighted deer and jumped a lot of fences. I brought home bull reds that weren't tagged, and kept undersized specs. Nothing went to waste, I cooked & served all of that meat and we needed it. At that period of my life we were in a bind. I don't regret any of it. Will my kids poach or break the law? Hell no, they don't have to. Do I still? Hell no.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7348932 11/15/18 04:22 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
It's all fun and games until some POS shoots a lawman. I hope they catch that piece of crap that shot our officer. I bet that chicken $hit reads this form and I want you to know your gonna get caught.

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349022 11/15/18 12:42 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
There will always be poachers, and there will always be Game Wardens trying to stop them, and it's a never ending cat and mouse game, but shooting an officer trying to do his job is crossing the line.
We have laws, and it's never ok to break them, and a Game Warden doesn't know if you are just hungry and have had a bad break, or if you are a murderer as well.
God Bless those who put their lives on the line every day.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349023 11/15/18 12:43 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
I’m a little behind on my boat payment. I guess I should rob a bank “out of necessity”.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349026 11/15/18 12:49 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Not gonna lie, I did a lot of poaching during my teens and early 20's but out of necessity. For a period we were broke and hungry and I was the only one with the ability to put food on the table. I worked 2 jobs and couldn't keep up after paying bills. I killed deer from the road, I spotlighted deer and jumped a lot of fences. I brought home bull reds that weren't tagged, and kept undersized specs. Nothing went to waste, I cooked & served all of that meat and we needed it. At that period of my life we were in a bind. I don't regret any of it. Will my kids poach or break the law? Hell no, they don't have to. Do I still? Hell no.

Did you try approaching any local landowners, telling them about your hard times, & ask permission to take any deer or fish?

As a landowner, if someone approached me with a story about their family starving, I would gladly let them take game, & would even help. But poaching from other people without their permission is entirely different. I’m glad you got out of the bad predicament & doin well today.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: BigRon] #7349030 11/15/18 12:54 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Originally Posted by BigRon
Not weighing in on poaching. It's hard to give advice to break the law.

I will say that our ministry in Wise County, Feeding Wise Kids, is now feeding about 400 kids a week over the weekend when there is no free school lunch or breakfast. That's just one Texas county and not a particularly heavily populated one at that.

Every school in our area has a list of homeless kids and on-the-edge kids. We are definitely not feeding every kid on free or reduced lunches, just the kids identified by teachers, counselors, and case workers as being at-risk of hunger and food stress. Last winter at Christmas break, we had some donated McDonald's gift certificates to put in their food backpacks. We got stories from teachers about 2d grade little girls crying because they could go to McDonalds for the first time ever. It seems that they always heard other kids talking about eating there, but their families had never had the money to go.

We have gotten feedback that a lot of kids who act out on Mondays were starved from missing meals on the weekends. Now they are not the problem kids any longer. And we have had parents leave the program because their situations have improved and they want to move out of the way so another family gets fed.

Sure, a lot of these poverty issues stem from parents' bad decisions, drugs, alcohol, etc. But it's hard to let an innocent child go hungry, whoever is at fault. I guess until I have a hungry child crying because their belly is empty, I am not qualified to answer whether there is ever an excuse to poach.

Good on you, sir. That’s how charity is supposed to work.

Why would it be ok for some of these parents to break some laws (poaching), but not other laws (like bank robbery)? When you start sayin people can break whatever laws they want because of hard times (when in reality, many of the people are too lazy or stupid, or spend money on cigarettes, scratch off tickets, meth, & new tats) it’s a slippery slope.

It amazes me that we need a license to hunt/fish, drive a car, or carry a gun. But nobody needs a license to pump out as many kids as they want.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349033 11/15/18 12:55 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Drogers6771
Originally Posted by Txduckman
Originally Posted by Drogers6771

Interesting take on things, I'd be inclined to agree

Until they are shooting on your property and trespassing. Buddy had it happen to him last year. They called GW and got a view of the truck and guessed which direction it turned and guessed right. GW intercepted him going into town 10 miles away. Guy drove 50 miles to shoot a deer with a 22 and went to the slammer for the night. Had his wife and kid with him. He just wanted some meat. Yeah, poaching is worth it just like breaking into homes is until you get caught.

Everything has it's limits. If you're trespassing, that's a different crime than just poaching. If a man hits a deer in September and throws it n the back of his truck, or shoots one in his pasture in February, to me that is worlds away from him busting one from my blind on a Wednesday when I'm workin. I don't think it takes a rocket surgeon to figure out the differences there

With all due respect please tell me what a "rocket surgeon" is? lol

Just a play on words lol. A term me and my Pops use to describe someone who thinks they are a heck of a lot smarter than they are.

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PKGR] #7349126 11/15/18 02:11 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by PKGR

Did you try approaching any local landowners, telling them about your hard times, & ask permission to take any deer or fish?

As a landowner, if someone approached me with a story about their family starving, I would gladly let them take game, & would even help. But poaching from other people without their permission is entirely different. I’m glad you got out of the bad predicament & doin well today.

No. That was a long time ago, before it was a felony.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PKGR] #7349136 11/15/18 02:22 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by PKGR
I’m a little behind on my boat payment. I guess I should rob a bank “out of necessity”.

Not a good comparison at all. Shooting deer to feed your family and robbing someone to pay for a luxury item are two different things. This was 20-25 yrs ago for me.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7349316 11/15/18 04:56 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
A neighbor who we trust has called us a few times for someone shooting a hog from the road. We don’t live on this property, it’s a hour away.

Honestly, as long as it’s not deer season and as long as they go and retrieve it’s not that big of a deal

We’ve never called the GW over it because the people who live around there id consider on the lower income level and they have 100 percent retrieved the pig

I think it’s happened 3-4 times in 10 years I know of

I’m sure it’s happened more

A deer and I’d be pissed.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Choctaw] #7349333 11/15/18 05:08 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Choctaw
If you are depending upon hunting for subsistence you have screwed up your life.

Or you could be a 16 yr old kid like I was who lost his folks and older brother, and little brother was too young to work. Nobody else around to help, in other words on your own. That 16-18 yr old kid worked two jobs, volunteered to work rain outs & holidays, and yes he broke the law road hunting and spotlighting to feed his family. In his mind at that time he was doing what he had to do to put food on the table, period. That was a long time ago, things are different now.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349344 11/15/18 05:22 PM
P
PKGR Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
P
Or you could be a 16 yr old kid like I was who lost his folks and older brother, and little brother was too young to work. Nobody else around to help, in other words on your own. That 16-18 yr old kid worked two jobs, volunteered to work rain outs & holidays, and yes he broke the law road hunting and spotlighting to feed his family. In his mind at that time he was doing what he had to do to put food on the table, period. That was a long time ago, things are different now.

Sorry to hear that about your hard times, that is truly a hardship. I would wager that most poachers don’t have it anywhere near that hard. The vast majority are meth heads, lazy white trash, or just some [censored] who gets a thrill from poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: skinnerback] #7349359 11/15/18 05:35 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If you are depending upon hunting for subsistence you have screwed up your life.

yep, you have to do what you have to do sometimes ... I agree, that was a long time ago and our family knew families in dire need and we took care of them, again, this was 50 years ago when times were different and not near as people were looking for a free hand out that had high level of self respect just on tough times.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: PMK] #7350476 11/16/18 06:43 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by PMK

yep, you have to do what you have to do sometimes ... I agree, that was a long time ago and our family knew families in dire need and we took care of them, again, this was 50 years ago when times were different and not near as people were looking for a free hand out that had high level of self respect just on tough times.

popcorn interesting thread & views.
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 11/16/18 07:07 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7350732 11/16/18 10:48 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Binary

I would tend to agree, but you might be surprised with the number of people with screwed up lives. I've been to 49 of the 50 and just as many other countries and can say that I've been in some places in the good old USA that looked worse than some of the third world countries I've been to. We definitely still have people that live in homes with no doors and holes in the roof. Bad life decisions, and sometimes just bad luck, can certainly lead to living a hard life.

I’ve been in law enforcement since 1987. No, I wouldn’t be surprised. There is no excuse for poaching.

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351033 11/17/18 09:53 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Many years ago, my Brother, now deceased, lived outside of Jasper and pretty well lived on venison. But, wouldn't shoot a deer out of season. A State Biologist came to him and needed tissue samples from various deer. He asked my Brother to get him some samples from about 6 deer. My Brother asked him how he could do that legally. The guy replied that the GW said that he bought quite a few licenses and was feeding several needy families. It got done.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7351112 11/17/18 01:47 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Many years ago, my Brother, now deceased, lived outside of Jasper and pretty well lived on venison. But, wouldn't shoot a deer out of season. A State Biologist came to him and needed tissue samples from various deer. He asked my Brother to get him some samples from about 6 deer. My Brother asked him how he could do that legally. The guy replied that the GW said that he bought quite a few licenses and was feeding several needy families. It got done.

Sounds like deer laundering.
bolt

Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: 7mag] #7351212 11/17/18 04:20 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I took a guy hunting a couple of times, veteran and retired LEO. I was amazed at how well he could try to justify illegal hunting.

We saw a large group of hogs on the side of the road and he said, "Let's stop and shoot them."

I replied that they were in the ROW and it was illegal to do so.

He said, "Nobody wants those hogs around. We'll be doing folks a favor."

I said, "It is illegal and they aren't even by a property we have permission to hunt."

He said, "If a deputy or game warden stops us, we will just explain that we were hunting responsibly {he actually thought this was a responsible act} and were careful how we were shooting."

I said, "How can you justify breaking the law like that as 'acting responsibly.'"

He said, "Well, it is stupid law."

I thought he might have been joking until he wanted us to trespass and hunt a property next to one where we had permission because, "That is where the hogs are coming from."

So apparently in his mind, poaching is okay if nobody wants the animals, doing folks a favor, if you do it responsibly and are careful, because the laws are stupid, and because that is where the hogs are coming from.

We don't hunt together any more.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Any reason to poach?? [Re: soonersorlaters] #7351252 11/17/18 05:07 PM
T
Topper Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Originally Posted by soonersorlaters
Illegal is illegal. When you set a precedent by making exceptions, the next exception is well on it's way, with more sure to come.

Same reason I like how the NRA fights to have no exceptions made to the 2nd.

Totally agree with this. I have known of so called hunters using other hunters tags, that is poaching and not cool from my perspective

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide