Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: Roll-Tide] #7334261 11/01/18 03:26 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Most guys I know carry a hunting pack. With a bunch of stuff in it.
Mine includes a flashlight and a couple of pens, electrical tape.

Also have TP, a tourniquet, knife, gloves. Etc

So to answer your question, filling it out at the kitchen table is not the way to do it.

Unless you found him in the kitchen.... bolt

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7334351 11/01/18 04:23 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
That's why I only hunt MLD... Ain't got time for that...

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DH3] #7334489 11/01/18 06:06 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: DH3
Warden came on my ranch last year, after dark. I had killed a buck and Grandson had the buck up on my hoist rig. I was sitting at kitchen table, filling out my tag.
A hole gave me a "warning" for not tagging deer properly.
Question: If you kill a buck and find him after dark, are you required to have a flashlight and pen available to fill out tag before moving deer carcass??
Did you use a vehicle to bring deer in after dark?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7334538 11/01/18 06:33 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I always tag my deer asap before I even load it. Few years ago I started having to wear readers. Shot a deer one evening and went to tag it, couldn't read the tag and had left my glasses at camp. So I loaded deer, drove half mile across lease to camp and tagged it there. [censored] happens sometimes. I would have been ok with a warning had GW showed up or been waiting at camp, but I'd have been a little pissed if he had attitude about it.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7334660 11/01/18 08:01 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Grandson found buck and loaded him onto tailgate of truck. I was waiting at cabin. Soon as truck showed up with deer, I sat down at table. Grandson hoisted deer, GW drove up and barged into cabin.
It was bang-bang. Attitude was rampant, A hole is an A hole.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DH3] #7334710 11/01/18 08:47 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Grandson found buck and loaded him onto tailgate of truck. I was waiting at cabin. Soon as truck showed up with deer, I sat down at table. Grandson hoisted deer, GW drove up and barged into cabin.
So, you shoot a deer, go back to cabin, send grand son to get it while you stay at cabin. Had you gone with him, you could have tagged it before it was brought back to camp. Grand son would have had some explaining to do had he been stopped before he made it back. I'd consider the "attitude" a fair trade for the fine you didn't have to pay.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7334806 11/01/18 10:04 PM
B
BassBuster1 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
My SIL is wanting to be a GW. He went on a ride along last weekend. After a 15 hour day they were about to wrap it up and got a call that some people were stranded out on the lake. Back to the boat barn hook up, head out to the lake and tow them in. In the middle of towing the people in, they got a call about a wounded deer. Get the people to the ramp, back to the boat barn and then out to dispatch the wounded animal. Anyway it ended up being an 18 hour day before it was over with. Some LEOs do get attitude and I don't like it either but for the most part they are just doing their job. They don't make the laws (like tag your deer and fill out your log before you do anything else) but they are sworn to enforce them as well as rescue people from all manor of stupid, find drowning victims, boarder patrol, traffic, never get to hunt on any opening day, etc... while being paid a very average salary. Having said all of that the family member that already is a GW loves the job and would not trade it! I say if a LEO has a little attitude on occasion, give them the benefit of the doubt, it might have been a long day.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DH3] #7334808 11/01/18 10:07 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
You need to know that A hole GW came into my cabin, without knocking and with an attitude. It was clearly obvious that I was filling out my tag, total time from finding deer to hoisting it and start to fill out tag was no more than 5 minutes. The same A hole came driving into my ranch one afternoon while I was walking to my blind. Driving onto ranch during hunting hours is frowned on, by me.
I directed him to leave and come back after hunting hours were over and investigate anything he wanted.

I think there are a few issues here - and both sides did something they shouldn't have done. Obviously, the deer should have been tagged before it was moved (even if it is a stupid rule) - however, the GW did just give a warning and not a ticket so that was cool (even if he was rude about it - which is uncalled for). What concerns me most in the description of what happened though is that a GW entered into someone's home without permission and without a warrant - that's not okay if that occurred and it's a dumb thing for ANYONE to do.

So it seems to me that both parties did something wrong. On the positive side the situation ended peacefully without anyone getting hurt or ticketed.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7334820 11/01/18 10:28 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Probable cause with an untagged animal out front? I still would have knocked, but that's just me.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TLew] #7334825 11/01/18 10:35 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: TLew
Probable cause with an untagged animal out front? I still would have knocked, but that's just me.

Probable cause is what you need to get a warrant :P It would be different if it was a situation like the GW was giving chase (i.e. the man was running from the GW and ducked in the home). If I dump a deer in the street in my neighborhood, that doesn't mean LEOs can barge into everyone's home in my neighborhood smile

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7334830 11/01/18 10:39 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Trust me, I understand that LEOs and GWs have a job to do and I'm a big supporter of both. But as LEOs and GWs, they are held to a very high standard - for good reason. More than anyone, they can't step over the line because the public has to have faith that they will operate within the law.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335135 11/02/18 02:25 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Binary
Originally Posted By: TLew

Probable cause is what you need to get a warrant :P It would be different if it was a situation like the GW was giving chase (i.e. the man was running from the GW and ducked in the home). If I dump a deer in the street in my neighborhood, that doesn't mean LEOs can barge into everyone's home in my neighborhood smile

But what if they are a really nice guy? Then you don’t mind having your 4th Amendment rights violated, eh?

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DH3] #7335178 11/02/18 02:46 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I’d love to hear the other side of the story

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: SR025] #7335236 11/02/18 03:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Originally Posted By: SR025
[quote=DH3]Grandson found buck and loaded him onto tailgate of truck. I was waiting at cabin. Soon as truck showed up with deer, I sat down at table. Grandson hoisted deer, GW drove up and barged into cabin.

I’d love to hear the other side of the story [/quote

Me too. I smell BS.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: SR025] #7335283 11/02/18 09:55 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: SR025

I’d love to hear the other side of the story
X3

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7335431 11/02/18 01:00 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Binary
Trust me, I understand that LEOs and GWs have a job to do and I'm a big supporter of both. But as LEOs and GWs, they are held to a very high standard - for good reason. More than anyone, they can't step over the line because the public has to have faith that they will operate within the law.

They’re not held to any standard by some. Some people are sheep.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: LandPirate] #7335645 11/02/18 03:37 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Hey fellers,
It's been awhile. Good to see so many familiar names/faces still around.

And some of us girls are still here as well. Nice to see you back Mike.

Back on topic. Carry on gents.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7335960 11/02/18 07:41 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
And, to think, I've never been engaged by one. Not once.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7336020 11/02/18 09:10 PM
E
Esh and Hattie Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
I've hunted 12 years in Texas now, and been checked by a GW 2 times. 3 days apart by the same guy on the same lake duck hunting 3 years ago.

The first time he flew up to my truck in the parking area as I was walking up and blocked me in, was super gruff, found everything in order and was gone in 5 minutes.

3 days later he was chatty cathy, talked about how we did, where we shot the ducks at, gave a couple spots to try. Polar opposite experiences.

I guess you always have to be on some sort of edge in that job, pretty hard when you are confronting people usually with firearms and looking for and possible infractions.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: Esh and Hattie] #7336047 11/02/18 09:35 PM
D
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: Esh and Hattie
I've hunted 12 years in Texas now, and been checked by a GW 2 times. 3 days apart by the same guy on the same lake duck hunting 3 years ago.

The first time he flew up to my truck in the parking area as I was walking up and blocked me in, was super gruff, found everything in order and was gone in 5 minutes.

3 days later he was chatty cathy, talked about how we did, where we shot the ducks at, gave a couple spots to try. Polar opposite experiences.

I guess you always have to be on some sort of edge in that job, pretty hard when you are confronting people usually with firearms and looking for and possible infractions.

Yeah I've personally never had a negative experience with a GW or LEO. I mean, I've only had one ticket in my entire life and that was like 24 years ago maybe? Ohh no, nm...make that two tickets, I got issued a ticket by a LEO in San Diego for drinking a beer on the beach about 12 years ago (okay that guy was kind of an [censored] now that I think about it LOL). But really most LEOs and GWs are good people and I can't say I've had any negative experiences like what was mentioned in this thread.

Last edited by Binary; 11/03/18 01:54 AM.
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7336232 11/03/18 02:23 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Park Ranger in Colorado, Texas Game Warden in Plains TX, and Sanderson, TX. Every time I was open carrying a 1911, and holding a rifle. I asked if they needed to see anything, and the answer was no. Then they asked how the hunting was going. That run could change this year, but thus far, there have been no bad encounters.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: Mickey Moose] #7336236 11/03/18 02:29 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
And, to think, I've never been engaged by one. Not once.

Me either, in 30 years of hunting/fishing this state. I’ve talked to one at a gas station once last year. Both of us agreed it was way to cold to be hunting that day (24 degrees around noon). Maybe on the water they knew I wasn’t catching anything.....used to see them and they would just wave and keep going.

Re: 4th Amendment & Game Wardens [Re: TX Hitman] #7336716 11/03/18 09:22 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I was on a lease once with a game warden. I used to come into camp with my deer untagged just to agitate him. I had my tags already notched and filled out and the log done. I just wouldn't hang the tag on the deer until I got back to camp. Never could get under his skin though, so I gave up trying.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide