Forums46
Topics538,458
Posts9,737,303
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: Dave Davidson] #7315907 10/16/18 12:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
I have that problem now. Actually had it for the last 3 or 4 years. Sooner or later, I'll catch the guy. Not sure how I will handle it. But I wish he would just go away. I put out some no flash game cans but somehow they disappeared.

I've talked to the GW but, I would have to catch the guy, call the GW and hope he would be nice enough to hang around until the law showed up.

Ask his name - lots of times they are stupid enough to tell you. Take pics of him with your phone. I caught a bunch of armed to the teeth hog hunters, saw red, approached them, and did just that. I had to be in Austin for a Supreme Court hearing the next day so didn’t have time to call the GW right then (his cell # is in my phone). Never called him but they have not been back since.

Game cameras are great tools. I have prosecuted based on game camera pics. Hide them well. Word got out about that and I have had almost no trouble with trespassers ever since. Now I know all my neighbors and am practically a local so they watch out for my place too, just as I watch out for theirs.

Getting a handle on trespassers takes a concerted effort on many fronts.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: dkershen] #7316525 10/16/18 08:27 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: dkershen
We drive up on and check all unknown vehicles that even approach our ranch. The county road dead ends into our place, so no one should be driving the last several miles unless they have business with us. Catch a lot of road hunters this way. We typically get pics of vehicle and plates and tell them to go about their business. If we see evidence of road hunting such as rifles in the front seat or pointed out the windows the Game Warden is called immediately. If they have actually come onto our property by cutting a gate lock or jumping a fence, they get held at our place until the Sheriff arrives. We'll also place a call to our Texas Special Ranger (Supplied by the Texas and Southwest Cattle Raisers Assoc) if we know he's in the area. This is not BS, and it takes balls to do, but we have done it numerous times. We've lost very expensive cattle and even a buffalo one time to poachers/trespassers, and take it serious as a heart attack.
I like this. For a few years I owned a small piece of land. It was fenced, no doubt about it being private. I was amazed at how little respect people had for a piece of land that was out of town. To me, I treated it just as my back yard where I lived in town. If you come over my fence into my backyard at home, you're in deep ----. No difference to me just because it's a big piece of rural property.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7317223 10/17/18 12:32 PM
D
D Rogers Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Flashprism
Being 70, 5.6" a bleeder and an easy bruiser I'd call the Game Warden / Sheriff

TMI!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahaha! roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmaoroflmao roflmao

~Dustin

"Life's complicated, man, like a dang ol' Rubik's cube, man. Talkin' 'bout blue and red, man. Dang ol' get one side, dang ol' messed up th' other side, man."

-Boomhauer
Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: Flashprism] #7317317 10/17/18 01:47 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R

Well I'm 55 almost 56 5'9" and 140lbs and not to smart with knife/bullet holes already and at least smart enough to do the same by calling the law. Guess I am getting a little wiser with my age. Just don't heal so well older I get, bar room scuffles use to be alot more fun! boxing

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: RLoving1] #7317694 10/17/18 06:05 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I own my place and don't think I'd point a weapon or fire any warning shot towards anyone. Would probably try the polite route first or just call the authorities; ain't worth being killed over.

Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: DQ Kid] #7318524 10/18/18 02:13 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
I own my place and don't think I'd point a weapon or fire any warning shot towards anyone. Would probably try the polite route first or just call the authorities; ain't worth being killed over.

Yeah this isn't the 1800s where you can just shoot at people without consequence because they happened upon your land LOL (not even a "warning shot"). These people who start shooting trees near people who wandered onto their property are crazy. You fire a warning shot "towards" someone and they believe you are shooting at them, they are justified in shooting back. Trespassing is not a crime that allows the use of deadly force (unless that trespassing is inside your house). Even if the people don't shoot back (and they most likely won't - most hunters are rational good people who aren't looking to kill other people), a "warning shot" can land you in jail.

Be smart like DQ Kid people.

Last edited by Binary; 10/18/18 02:14 PM.
Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: RLoving1] #7318550 10/18/18 02:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I have learned to take many posts on trespassing, shot groups, caliber/bullet (where for some people every animal they’ve ever shot was DRT), and self-defense threads with a grain of salt.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What are the limits on tresspassers? [Re: Flashprism] #7318557 10/18/18 02:36 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
my thoughts up

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index