Print Thread
Public Hunt Draw #73107 07/04/06 03:48 PM
T
TWarren Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Does anybody know when TPWD begins accepting applications for the public hunts? I've been watching their website but they still have last year's applications and say nothing of the upcoming year.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: TWarren] #73108 07/04/06 03:59 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Something should be showing up between July 15 and Aug. 1 or so. If you applied last year, you will receive a book in the mail from TP&W. Contact the regional office nearest you and they should be able to give you an idea of when the books should be out.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Crazyhorse] #73109 07/04/06 05:58 PM
7mag Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thats about right CHC. I talked to them last month, becuase I want to put in for a exotic hunt. Lady here told me about later part of July, 1st. part August.

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: 7mag] #73110 07/05/06 12:21 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If you will dial in and keep a list of the previous hunts preference points you have accrued for a comparison to this years entry's, assuming you have entered the Lottery previously, you will be able to tell almost immediately when you have been drawn or not if you will call on the 24 hour available automated dial in line on a regular basis.

The various drawings don't occur at specified times necessarily...some later App date closing drawings can occur all on the same day, but the early App closure dates will occur on average about 4-6 weeks ahead of the hunt dates which allows about 2-3 weeks for you to get your Hunt Fee paid and receive the Permit Letter. No Permit letter no get to hunt even if you have been drawn. The Permit letter is only sent when the Drawn Hunter has had his Fee's accrued to his "account". This can get tight time wise later in the season, especially if you are in a rural area - my mail now takes 7-9 days to get 75 miles to my Dallas area customers when I was getting 2 day service from Denton County before the move last year - so I always try and send my Fee's in at once when I get the Notice of being Drawn Letter. I love the excitment of the Lottery and will enter even when I know the areas I have put in for I will have a slim and none chance to get drawn for simply to build Preference Points. Good Luck
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73111 07/05/06 02:23 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Even though I send my fees in from Fort Worth, I send them as early as possible, either by priority mail, or overnight express, with delivery confirmation on either.

To me the mailing in is like the cartridge/bullet combination used on the hunt, it is among the cheaper aspects of the hunt.

That is one area that I think Texas could improve the process, but it would drastically reduce the amount of money TP&W makes from all the application fees. If this drawing was run like Colorado or other states where your permit fee was sent in with your application, and refunded if you weren't drawn, or your permit mailed to you if you were.

I am not griping about the Texas system, because I think on the whole it is a good one, I just feel it could be tweaked a little. JMO

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Crazyhorse] #73112 07/05/06 11:02 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I also like some other states Lottery Preference Point system much mo' bettah' where they apply all the available points and draw from that point category first instead of from a blind pool and don't reward people who keep putting in the longest for a desired area.
For example...lets say I had 5 Preference Points for 5 years worth of entries for a particular Hunt area...and the Hunt area had 15 slots ...if people who had 10 PP's selected that area then they should be rewarded first with the Permit, then 9PP's , then 8PP's then 7PP's and so on until all 15 slots were filled... the next year the same thing and so on. Pretty soon you could figure how many PP's were needed to draw a particular area unlike now in the blind pool where someone with no PP's can get drawn while someone with 10-15???however many PP's that can be had can get passed on...ie no reward for the longevity of people entering year after year and never getting drawn for anything. Yes I understand that for any given Hunt area my PP's give me that many added chances in the blind pool but it is not the same thing.
I also agree with CHC's thoughts on the Fee being submitted with the App's to cut down on the No Shows who are drawn and take up space for the willing to pay hunters. This way, you get drawn...you get a permit in the mail instead of a refund check and the state doesn't care if you show up or not...the state still gets paid 100% of the time. JMHO
Ron
I'll bet I could put in for Kerr or South LLano River SP for an exotic hunt for the rest of my life and never get drawn...so I use places like that to build points with to enhance my chances on some other area that is not as popular. It just takes too many years but that's the only way I know how to "game" the system...'N I ain't got too many more years to play this silly game.
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 07/05/06 11:14 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73113 07/05/06 11:23 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Me and you are going to end up in the same nursing home together, and Walter Matthua and Jack Lemmon ain't gonna have had ANYTHING on us, as Grumpy Old Men!!!

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Crazyhorse] #73114 07/05/06 11:26 PM
S
SaginawHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
What do you mean aint gonna have??????????

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: SaginawHunter] #73115 07/05/06 11:39 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
If you are drawn for one of the hunts how much do they cost? Anyone have a general idea?
JR

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: txbobcat] #73116 07/05/06 11:45 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I don't know what the costs are going to be this year. It is sort of complicated. Some hunts don't/didn't have an additional fee apart from the application fee (Pronghorn, Guided Hunts on Mason Mountain), the others are based on 2, 3, opr 5 day hunts. Last year the 3 day hunts were $75.00 and the 5 day were $125.00.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: SaginawHunter] #73117 07/06/06 02:55 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hey, you ain't met WC, I think???

He may be a little opinionated, well a lot opinionated, Oh Well never mind, you were right.

I have shared a couple of small campfires, and setting in a deer stand with Ron, and I can truthfully say that he is one of the most interesting, and knowledgeable human beings I have ever been around. I feel priveledged to have met him and spent a little time in a couple of hunting camps with him.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Crazyhorse] #73118 07/06/06 03:05 AM
S
SaginawHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Your right I havent got to meet him yet but I have got some very good information from him and if he is anything like you you old goat well......

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Crazyhorse] #73119 07/06/06 02:21 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Me opinionated??? never...I just grew up reading Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor and thinking about their arguments in print...and believe that it takes at least 20 years...well maybe only 10 years these days to see if a new rifle/cartridge/bullet design is really gonna be worth considering something besides a fad...aka the RSUAM/WSSM/WSM current fallout. I have finally acknowledged that maybe a 260 or a 7-08 ain't too bad a deal but then they've been around closer to the 20 year mark than less...and even been thinkin' 'bout gettin' a 300Whizzum ...or maybe stay with the plan for a new 308 for a lite 6lb carry gun. You know something that I know will be around a while longer since the 308 is only 54 years old so far.
My kids would tell you to NEVER ask me what time it is...'cause I'm just as likely to tell you how to cut down the forest and pour concrete to build a watch factory with as I am to simply answer the question...what time is it...or better still is it time to go to lunch
Thanks for the kind words CHC...but I am still learning as much about stuff and asking questions as I can like a pestering 6 year old so I guess I ain't dead yet.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73120 07/06/06 05:50 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Like I said, Only Slightly Opinionated.

Anytime anyone stops asking questions, or trying to learn something new, then it is time for them to punch the clock, crawl in the little 3x6 box and roll into the hole.

When folks stop believing in the premise that everyday they are alive, is a new adventure, they have probably liveed too long.

It is a pleasure and an honor to know you Sir, and you are one of the folks that make me and Lora both glad that I got us involved on the Forum.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73121 07/08/06 03:44 AM
D
Dave270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

I also like some other states Lottery Preference Point system much mo' bettah' where they apply all the available points and draw from that point category first instead of from a blind pool and don't reward people who keep putting in the longest for a desired area.
For example...lets say I had 5 Preference Points for 5 years worth of entries for a particular Hunt area...and the Hunt area had 15 slots ...if people who had 10 PP's selected that area then they should be rewarded first with the Permit, then 9PP's , then 8PP's then 7PP's and so on until all 15 slots were filled... the next year the same thing and so on. Pretty soon you could figure how many PP's were needed to draw a particular area unlike now in the blind pool where someone with no PP's can get drawn while someone with 10-15???however many PP's that can be had can get passed on...ie no reward for the longevity of people entering year after year and never getting drawn for anything. Yes I understand that for any given Hunt area my PP's give me that many added chances in the blind pool but it is not the same thing.
I also agree with CHC's thoughts on the Fee being submitted with the App's to cut down on the No Shows who are drawn and take up space for the willing to pay hunters. This way, you get drawn...you get a permit in the mail instead of a refund check and the state doesn't care if you show up or not...the state still gets paid 100% of the time. JMHO
Ron
I'll bet I could put in for Kerr or South LLano River SP for an exotic hunt for the rest of my life and never get drawn...so I use places like that to build points with to enhance my chances on some other area that is not as popular. It just takes too many years but that's the only way I know how to "game" the system...'N I ain't got too many more years to play this silly game.
Ron

Got drawn three years ago on the South Llano River SP hunt it was the best drawn hunt I have ever been on.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Dave270] #73122 07/08/06 03:53 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Dave270] #73123 07/08/06 06:08 AM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That is the neat part about the TP&W system, a person can get lucky. In 1996 me and my hunting partner got drawn for the Pronghorn hunt at the Rita Blanca, along with a Feral Hog hunt at Gus Engling, and the first deer hunt held at San Angelo State Park. As with any program, there is room for improvement, in my opinion.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Dave270] #73124 07/08/06 02:53 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
You actually got drawn for South LLano River SP on an exotic hunt???? UNGGAAAHH! That drives me nutz!!!!

In '99 I got drawn for a GDA Hunt on the Walter Buck WMA area just behind and overlooking the SLRSP, and killed an Axis doe right at dark. It was about 10:15/10:30 at nite by the time I got off the ridge, got the critter dressed and down the to check station and off the WMA headed to Junction and dinner.
It took 13 minutes by my watch for the who knows how many critters in a herd of a hundred or more mixed WT's, Axis and Sika to cross the road in front of me just as you go down to the low water crossing on the main road in and out. I have dreamed ever since of being able to take as many exotics as possible ever since just once in my life ...but they only got what maybe 4-6 blinds and issue super few permits for this hunt at a time. So I keep putting in for SLRSP and keep NOT getting drawn.
Ron

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73125 07/08/06 03:00 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That is the one category I have never been drawn for, the Exotic only. I am happy everytime I get drawn for a hunt, and some hunts, I put in for the same place every year, unless the available hunt dates are going to interfere with the guided hunts in west Texas, that is why me and Lora B ended up down at Choke Canyon with you and Ralph.

Oh well, maybe this year we will get the exotic in the bag finally.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: WileyCoyote] #73126 07/08/06 07:22 PM
D
Dave270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

You actually got drawn for South LLano River SP on an exotic hunt???? UNGGAAAHH! That drives me nutz!!!!

In '99 I got drawn for a GDA Hunt on the Walter Buck WMA area just behind and overlooking the SLRSP, and killed an Axis doe right at dark. It was about 10:15/10:30 at nite by the time I got off the ridge, got the critter dressed and down the to check station and off the WMA headed to Junction and dinner.
It took 13 minutes by my watch for the who knows how many critters in a herd of a hundred or more mixed WT's, Axis and Sika to cross the road in front of me just as you go down to the low water crossing on the main road in and out. I have dreamed ever since of being able to take as many exotics as possible ever since just once in my life ...but they only got what maybe 4-6 blinds and issue super few permits for this hunt at a time. So I keep putting in for SLRSP and keep NOT getting drawn.
Ron

The hunt that we got drawn for was a antlerless /spike hunt 3 years ago when they took four hunters on a permit can't understand why they canged it to two hunters the place hunts four people just fine, anways they allowed us to shoot 1spike and 2 doe or all doe and all the pigs and exotics we could shoot we ended up shooting 24deer and 2 pigs 12 of the deer were axis deer 4 bucks the rest does.

Re: Public Hunt Draw [Re: Dave270] #73127 07/08/06 08:18 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
This is one place that if I ever got drawn for I'd go buy a semi auto something and about 4 extra clips...the adage "fish in a barrel" is awfully close here.

Couple years back when in my Bro in Law was hunting south of there on the monster sized ranch behind the Blue Hole south of Telephone, I took the wife for a drive thru the SP as we were headed back to dallas about noon on a bright sunny Sunday with lots of campers and traffic in and out of SLRSP.
We followed a huge 10 pt buck as he meandered up out of the river bed, down the middle of and finally across the SP's entry road in my truck at about 50 yards...and as long as we were moving he never even looked at us....but I stopped to get the camera out and he trotted over to the adjacent south fence and hopped over it because some folks on bicycles coming out of the park towards the hiway got to within 30 yards of him and trapped him between us on the gravel beside the pavement. Woulda been a great picture too. Them critters know exactly where the boundaries are and can tell time and read the signs too
Ron

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide