Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DStroud] #7284882 09/12/18 08:55 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DStroud
I can't buy the rifle and ammo was not good enough theory at all.
After all Billy Dixon at the battle of Adobe Walls shot an Indian chief from the saddle of his horse at 1600 yards with a open sight Buffalo(excuse me... Bison) rifle.
Rifles and Ammo were not a big hindrance BUT the lack of a decent rangefinder portable enough to carry was.
The Rangefinder is the root cause of all the interest in LR hunting... period.

Let’s be honest, it just was that Indians time to go.

At 1600 yards, with iron sights....that shot was a miracle lob guided by the hand of God

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7284884 09/12/18 08:56 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
And rangefinders have helped archers kill more deer than any rifleman

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: txtrophy85] #7284889 09/12/18 08:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: DStroud
I can't buy the rifle and ammo was not good enough theory at all.
After all Billy Dixon at the battle of Adobe Walls shot an Indian chief from the saddle of his horse at 1600 yards with a open sight Buffalo(excuse me... Bison) rifle.
Rifles and Ammo were not a big hindrance BUT the lack of a decent rangefinder portable enough to carry was.
The Rangefinder is the root cause of all the interest in LR hunting... period.

Let’s be honest, it just was that Indians time to go.

At 1600 yards, with iron sights....that shot was a miracle lob guided by the hand of God

Would be my thoughts as well.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: wp75169] #7284960 09/12/18 10:22 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: wp75169
Jeffbird I’m sure you know but some may not. Most (not all) of the targets posted with the group off from the POA is intentional to maintain a good clean spot to aim at. Hopefully hunters don’t leave it like that when they’re finished target shooting.

Some of the posts really make me wonder, but I too hope so.

Originally Posted By: wp75169

For the record Jeff I study every word you post in this section with a great deal of respect and a desire to learn.

Thank you for the kind words. I try to make posts that are based on my experiences and hopefully help others find quicker ways to better and more consistent results. Much appreciated. cheers

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285063 09/12/18 11:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Jeff's da bomb!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: ChadTRG42] #7285153 09/13/18 01:27 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Jeff's da bomb!

Thank you sir, feel the same about you and most everyone else here. cheers

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285232 09/13/18 02:34 AM
L
Lochsley123 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
L
Hunting Accuracy.......
I’ve hunted with and guided hunters that can shoot 1/2” MOA all day at 100 yards.
Put a Trophy Stag (heart the size of a softball) in front of them at 60 yards and their $2000 rifle and 1/2 moa is thrown out the window.
Granted this is Texas and most shots are under 100 yards. I’ve shot numerous deer and other game at 300-400 yards (that’s my comfort zone max). That being said I don’t think the average hunter needs to take those shots.
Hang on hang on. I know you’re already typing your response... There are a bunch of THF members here that shoot 1000 yds accurately (or farther) as do I. However, how many and let’s say by percentage can identify, range, and deliver an ethical shot under pressure at that range. The number is small I promise you. This is my personal opinion but I see to many hunters choosing to take shots based on the quality of the equipment being used and not the experience of the shooter. Taking an ethical shot on a trophy buck at 300+ yards and taking a shot a piece of steel will show you that the 1/2 MOA rifle being used has nothing to do with hunting accuracy.

Originally Posted by rickym
What kind of lights does it shoot out?
Like are we talkin the mini bulb Christmas lights or a 500 watt flood light?

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285345 09/13/18 05:16 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A trophy animal can turn me in to Don Knotts from the Shakiest Gun in the West (great old movie).

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Lochsley123] #7285420 09/13/18 11:28 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Lochsley123
Hunting Accuracy.......
I’ve hunted with and guided hunters that can shoot 1/2” MOA all day at 100 yards.
Put a Trophy Stag (heart the size of a softball) in front of them at 60 yards and their $2000 rifle and 1/2 moa is thrown out the window.
Granted this is Texas and most shots are under 100 yards. I’ve shot numerous deer and other game at 300-400 yards (that’s my comfort zone max). That being said I don’t think the average hunter needs to take those shots.
Hang on hang on. I know you’re already typing your response... There are a bunch of THF membets here that shoot 1000 yds accurately (or farther) as do I. However, how many and let’s say by percentage can identify, range, and deliver an ethical shot under pressure at that range. The number is small I promise you. This is my personal opinion but I see to many hunters choosing to take shots based on the quality of the equipment being used and not the experience of the shooter. Taking an ethical shot on a trophy buck at 300+ yards and taking a shot a piece of steel will show you that the 1/2 MOA rifle being used has nothing to do with hunting accuracy.

Yep.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7285425 09/13/18 11:44 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Hunting Accuracy.......
Hang on hang on. I know you’re already typing your response... There are a bunch of THF membets here that shoot 1000 yds accurately (or farther) as do I. However, how many and let’s say by percentage can identify, range, and deliver an ethical shot under pressure at that range. The number is small I promise you. This is my personal opinion but I see to many hunters choosing to take shots based on the quality of the equipment being used and not the experience of the shooter. Taking an ethical shot on a trophy buck at 300+ yards and taking a shot a piece of steel will show you that the 1/2 MOA rifle being used has nothing to do with hunting accuracy.

Yep.

And this is one of the reasons why I have started participating in competitions that put the shooter in different positions with targets at different distances and under a time crunch. It's by no means the same adrenaline rush as hunting and seeing that sought after trophy but it's about as close to replicating it as I've found. I'll admit that I'm a blind hunter and build a very stable rest inside my blind when I'm shooting past 150, because I can.

I've never hunted outside of Texas and don't know if I ever will but I think the competitions will have prepared me to shoot at extended ranges from a position other than a high back office chair with arm rests and a perfectly located window.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Scott W] #7285426 09/13/18 11:48 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Scott W
Hunting Accuracy.......

Yep.

And this is one of the reasons why I have started participating in competitions that put the shooter in different positions with targets at different distances and under a time crunch. It's by no means the same adrenaline rush as hunting and seeing that sought after trophy but it's about as close to replicating it as I've found. I'll admit that I'm a blind hunter and build a very stable rest inside my blind when I'm shooting past 150, because I can.

I've never hunted outside of Texas and don't know if I ever will but I think the competitions will have prepared me to shoot at extended ranges from a position other than a high back office chair with arm rests and a perfectly located window.

Exactly right, Scott. I learned long ago, those type matches were excellent for hunters. Learning how to build a position applies to both rifle tasks.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Scott W] #7285446 09/13/18 12:12 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Hunting Accuracy.......

Yep.

I'm with you. I too do this in my set ups, build in rests when possible. My quad pod is more of an open air shooting platform with bags for front, and cross braces for rear elbow. On night set ups, I make prone positions workable in daylight and go back to them at night. On other ground set ups, I do the same thing. Even on my ATV I know where I'll rest my gun. I do struggle with a rested position where there is no rest for rear elbow. I'll go back to hunters challenge if only to remind myself that unrested positions are last resort for me.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285468 09/13/18 12:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Unrested positions should be a last resort for everyone.

That should be pretty intuitive for anyone who has spent time in the field. The first order of business on any hunt is to anticipate how I will get my rifle rested and solid for the shot. 90% of the time that’s taken care of by a blind, my pack on mountain hunts, or shooting sticks in open country. Or natural rests like rocks/trees.

If none of those are options, then and only then are field positions considered. The last time I had to use a field position on game was an elk that caught me crossing an open ridge almost 20 years ago now.

I’ve seen guys assume a field position when there were perfectly good natural rests that would have been much more steady within 6’ of them.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285470 09/13/18 12:41 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
When I was shooting a lot more longer ranges out to 600 I practiced getting ready for season from different shooting positions prone, sitting, kneeling, standing with sticks, fence posts etc and learned my limitations from each at various ranges.

Learn your rifle and your limitations with it before attempting a shot.

Final check, if the crosshairs are not steady on the vitals I am shooting at and staying within a much smaller area than the killzone for the chosen shot then do not take that shot.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285554 09/13/18 01:44 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
From the way some of you talk, shooting a rifle in the field from odd and varied support is something new. I figured out the need for that maybe 60 years ago, as a kid with a 22 and a pocket full of ammo. I got pretty darn good shooting offhand, but would use anything available as a rifle rest to improve the accuracy.

These days, if I had no other option, I might take an offhand shot at a deer out to around 100 yards max. Got one spike like that last season. With a rifle rest, however minimal, I’m good to much further than that.

As has been said many times, hunting accuracy is far different from shooting off bags, and the degree of accuracy varies widely from hunter to hunter. While guiding, I have observed some really poor shooting, while not seeing much great shooting.

I do think other guides and hosts must feel the same way. Many years ago, while stand hunting as a guest (for once) in south Texas, I saw a really nice 9 point standing in a gravel road. He was about 250 yds out. I dropped him in his tracks with my 270, and waited for the host to show up with his truck. When he did show up, I walked down to where he was, at the deer. He was upset with me, and asked why I left the stand to shoot the deer. We were told to not leave the stands while hunting. Well, I didn’t leave the stand at all, till now, and said so. He said “you mean that you shot this deer from way over there”. Well...yes. The way he talked, you’d have thought it was 500 yards, not just 250. At the time, it did occur to me that he must host some poor shooting customers. Therefore, I will say that we, as a group, must be a good bit better than the average city boy hunter, unless you think that 250 yards is way to far to shoot.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7285569 09/13/18 02:03 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Hunting Accuracy.......

Yep.

I'm with you. I too do this in my set ups, build in rests when possible. My quad pod is more of an open air shooting platform with bags for front, and cross braces for rear elbow. On night set ups, I make prone positions workable in daylight and go back to them at night. On other ground set ups, I do the same thing. Even on my ATV I know where I'll rest my gun. I do struggle with a rested position where there is no rest for rear elbow. I'll go back to hunters challenge if only to remind myself that unrested positions are last resort for me.

I'll use my backpack on my lap for my rear elbow, or if I have time I have a bog pod bipod that I can put under the stock and brace in the corner of the stand. That makes me super steady when I'm looking at my 300 yard feeder.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285672 09/13/18 03:43 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
What is "good enough" is an age old discussion. My take is recognizie your limitations and don't push your capabilities on game. Those that appreciate marksmanship enough to develop their equipment and skill with it to a higher level are saddled with fewer limitations. I have used a dog to aid several hunters who did not have the skill to execute what they attempted. Their "good enough" was "not good enough" to be "good enough".

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Smokey Bear] #7285697 09/13/18 03:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear
What is "good enough" is an age old discussion. My take is recognizie your limitations and don't push your capabilities on game. Those that appreciate marksmanship enough to develop their equipment and skill with it to a higher level are saddled with fewer limitations. I have used a dog to aid several hunters who did not have the skill to execute what they attempted. Their "good enough" was "not good enough" to be "good enough".

Yes, and that’s unfortunately been a sad part of hunting’s history for a long time.

In the real world of hunting IMO it is clear that the rage for long-range hunting has only exacerbated that problem - as marketing has become geared more towards the myth that proficiency at ranges most have no business attempting can be “bought”. IMO this has simply added another layer of opportunity for folks to get out over their skis and resulted in more problems, not fewer.

I have witnessed it many times and I hear it also from guys and gals who witness it constantly both on a professional and non-professional level.

My goal has always been and will always be to seek to close the distance as much as I can rather than see how far I can kill an animal. For me, that means less than 300 and never more than 400 yards. I have zero desire to extend that range, because my own personal view is if I can’t get closer than that I’ve not hunted the animal to my satisfaction in any event - and he has won the day. Killing the best animal in the field or on the mountain at 600 yards plus would do nothing for me. I take much more pride in killing an animal with my bow or closing the distance on an animal to “chip shot” rifle range than I ever would in killing one at long range. Others obviously have different views on the subject.

This is the main reason I take a little humbrage at the lectures on the supposed need for constant “practice” for one to be “ethical” or “competent” in the field. For many of us who stay within our known limitations, this is simply not necessary-as our competence within those limitations was attained long ago - akin to having learned to swim or ride a bike.

Not to say I haven’t missed before or won’t ever miss again, but thankfully those misses are few and far between, and lack of range time has little or nothing to do with them at this stage of the game.

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7285851 09/13/18 06:52 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

Yes, and that’s unfortunately been a sad part of hunting’s history for a long time.

In the real world of hunting IMO it is clear that the rage for long-range hunting has only exacerbated that problem - as marketing has become geared more towards the myth that proficiency at ranges most have no business attempting can be “bought”. IMO this has simply added another layer of opportunity for folks to get out over their skis and resulted in more problems, not fewer.

I have witnessed it many times and I hear it also from guys and gals who witness it constantly both on a professional and non-professional level.

My goal has always been and will always be to seek to close the distance as much as I can rather than see how far I can kill an animal. For me, that means less than 300 and never more than 400 yards. I have zero desire to extend that range, because my own personal view is if I can’t get closer than that I’ve not hunted the animal to my satisfaction in any event - and he has won the day. Killing the best animal in the field or on the mountain at 600 yards plus would do nothing for me. I take much more pride in killing an animal with my bow or closing the distance on an animal to “chip shot” rifle range than I ever would in killing one at long range. Others obviously have different views on the subject.

This is the main reason I take a little humbrage at the lectures on the supposed need for constant “practice” for one to be “ethical” or “competent” in the field. For many of us who stay within our known limitations, this is simply not necessary-as our competence within those limitations was attained long ago - akin to having learned to swim or ride a bike.

Not to say I haven’t missed before or won’t ever miss again, but thankfully those misses are few and far between, and lack of range time has little or nothing to do with them at this stage of the game.

Yeah, everybody gets to grade their own paper, which is why you see far more 1/4-1/2 MOA rifles on the Internet than at the range.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: 603Country] #7285887 09/13/18 07:34 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: 603Country
From the way some of you talk, shooting a rifle in the field from odd and varied support is something new. I figured out the need for that maybe 60 years ago, as a kid with a 22 and a pocket full of ammo. I got pretty darn good shooting offhand, but would use anything available as a rifle rest to improve the accuracy.

Varmint hunting with a M14 probably sharpened the skills too. wink

603 is worth listening to gentlemen. There is a lot more experience behind his posts than he lets on.

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7285902 09/13/18 07:48 PM
Ritter Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
Geez, this seems to come up a few times a year, the only difference is a different title to the thread.

Hunting accuracy is all about the loose nut behind the trigger, not the rifle.

Here is the secret to all of this.............PRACTICE!!!!!

If someone has never shot from an improvised position don’t try it for the first time on an animal.
If their total time shooting their hunting rifle is from a bench at a local range, I hope they don’t try to be the hero and take at shot off their knees at a trophy buck that’s 100+ yards out. It wont turn out the way you think.
Sure, they might recover that buck but there is no excuse for a gut shot.

If you can get prone, build a stable position off of a tree, a handy fence post, your back pack, maybe the odd twig sticking up then go for it.... as long as you know what your limits are. You should have practiced all of this before your hunt.

I own, shoot and hunt with 1/4 MOA rifles, I know how accurate I am with each of them from just about any position I have to shoot from because I practice....a lot.

I’m headed out for a back country archery elk hunt tommorrow and I already know my maximum range with a bow because i practice.....a lot. Same thing with rifle......practice.

Last edited by Ritter; 09/14/18 12:54 AM.
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Ritter] #7285930 09/13/18 08:09 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
rock_on

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: Ritter] #7286072 09/13/18 11:39 PM
D
DH3 Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Ritter
Geez, this seems to come up a few times a year, the only difference is a different title to the thread.

Hunting accuracy is all about the loose but behind the trigger, not the rifle.

Here is the secret to all of this.............PRACTICE!!!!!

If someone has never shot from an improvised position don’t try it for the first time on an animal.
If their total time shooting their hunting rifle is from a bench at a local range, I hope they don’t try to be the hero and take at shot off their knees at a trophy buck that’s 100+ yards out. It wont turn out the way you think.
Sure, they might recover that buck but there is no excuse for a gut shot.

If you can get prone, build a stable position off of a tree, a handy fence post, your back pack, maybe the odd twig sticking up then go for it.... as long as you know what your limits are. You should have practiced all of this before your hunt.

I own, shoot and hunt with 1/4 MOA rifles, I know how accurate I am with each of them from just about any position I have to shot from because I practice....a lot.

I’m headed out for a back country archery elk hunt tommorrow and I already know my maximum range with a bow because i practice.....a lot. Same thing with rifle......practice.

Amazing the way this thread has developed. A simple question about accuracy required to kill a deer.
We get:
1. War stories about guiding for hunters who cannot shoot
2. War stories about Buck Fever
3 Tales about old timers shooting Indians out of the saddle at 1000 yards
4. Why Jack O'Connor's rifle was not near as good as off the shelf rifles today
5. Multiple threads about the need to practice
6. An explanation that one minute of angle equals two inches at 200 yards and three inches at three hundred yards.

Absolutely NONE of which answers the original question.... confused2

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7286087 09/13/18 11:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Looks like to me most everyone thought 2 MOA was OK at moderate ranges, but 1 MOA would be better - even at moderate ranges.

Which is actually pretty basic info.

The rest was just gravy but seemed pretty much related to the topic of what constitutes acceptable hunting accuracy to me. After all, there is much more to accuracy for hunting than just what your rifle can do.

Re: Hunting Accuracy [Re: DH3] #7286112 09/14/18 12:24 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
To answer your question a 2 minute rifle is fine for most Texas deer hunting. Now I guess we’re all done here. No need to discuss margin of error or buck fever. Ethics, inclement weather or anything else.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide