Forums46
Topics538,062
Posts9,732,574
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280550 09/08/18 11:20 AM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Things I don't do.
1. Speak ill of the dead.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280580 09/08/18 12:34 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Sometimes it’s best to just not actually type the words or hit the “post” button.

Prayers for the family.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280658 09/08/18 02:16 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
He openly talked of his battle with CTE.
Sounds like someone else may have issues.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: SapperTitan] #7280690 09/08/18 02:50 PM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: 68A
I don’t buy into the whole CTE crap. He prob cheated on his wife or something and she was gonna leave him so he took the cowards way out.

Heck of a couple things to speculate on. How do you label him a coward but you start a RIP thread about a thug who died of a drug overdose? confused2
Because I label anyone who kills their self a coward and the other thread was started as a joke labeled RIP Eminem but they changed the title.

So if a soldier commits sucicide they are a coward?

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: SapperTitan] #7280739 09/08/18 03:36 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
All I’m saying is all these dudes have CTE for like 10-20 yrs and all of a sudden they kill their self and it must be CTE. Sounds to me like an excuse.

You realize it’s a degenerative condition?
It’s my opinion and I don’t think CTE is the cause for these suicides. There are almost always other problems like debt or alcohol/drugs. Yet they blame it on CTE. I just don’t buy into it atleast not yet.

Also how can you prove why they did what they did? I can see if they left a letter saying depression or whatever but how can you medically connect CTE to them pulling the trigger without a shadow of a doubt?

Once again showing you're a sad, twisted individual.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Cleric] #7280759 09/08/18 03:52 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Cleric
I don’t buy into the whole CTE crap. He prob cheated on his wife or something and she was gonna leave him so he took the cowards way out.

Heck of a couple things to speculate on. How do you label him a coward but you start a RIP thread about a thug who died of a drug overdose? confused2
Because I label anyone who kills their self a coward and the other thread was started as a joke labeled RIP Eminem but they changed the title.

So if a soldier commits sucicide they are a coward?
I’ve known quite a few who have and I’d consider them all cowards. 5 to be exact that I knew personally and served with. I have no sympathy for anyone who kills their self except for those people in the World Trade Center that has two choices burn to death or jump. I don’t have sympathy for my best friend from HS who blew his own brains out or my mother in law who hung herself from the barn rafters with a dog leash. These people put their families through hell so they can take the easy way out.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280783 09/08/18 04:20 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Anyways back to topic

Prayers for his family especially the kids

After doing a quick google looks like 2017 was the first time a live person was diagnosed with CTE as they had to do a biopsy on the brain before that to even know if someone had CTE. I can’t find anything else about diagnosing CTE in live people. So was this guy diagnosed by a doctor or did he assume he had CTE because of prior concussions and head impacts?

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280925 09/08/18 06:35 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Look I’ve been thinking about it and I agree I should have just kept my mouth shut. I’ve had a lot of suicide around me in my life. Best friend in HS, uncle, aunt, Mother in Law, atleast 5 Army friends. The one thing they all have in common is the families are left behind wondering and blaming themselves for not doing something to help. It sucks my wife blames herself for her moms suicide because her mom called the night she did it and my wife didn’t answer. I have very strong opinions about this subject as I’ve had way more experience with it then I’d like. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut and I don’t so I’d like to apologize for expressing my opinion on this the way I did.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7280938 09/08/18 06:42 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Well done. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7281032 09/08/18 09:19 PM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7281034 09/08/18 09:23 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Sapper -- appreciate your last post-- it is a crappy subject to talk about and most of the time no one feels any better afterwards. I think most of us who have served have had more experience with that subject than we care to admit. I do agree-- sometimes I think there are folks that take the easy/selfish way out- folks that never went outside the wire or experienced war for what it is-- and I share your feelings of anger when those people are memorialized and hero worshipped.

But I also feel... hell I know that I have seen men changed completely from who I knew them as. Their experiences and ability to handle that madness we've seen and things that happened makes it to where the rational side of them has to struggle to hang on and they are literally in a fight for their life, every, single day.

This article: https://people.com/sports/jason-hairston-wife-speaks-out-about-cte/ helps to explain a good bit about this situation. CTE can only be definitely diagnosed postmortem, HOWEVER- some interesting info on the scans and diagnosis that he went through. The fact that he could feel things slipping and she could see it slipping from him is saddening and terrifying and it goes to show how powerful the affect of those issues can be if they topple someone who had achieved so much. Look back through his posts of his hunts with his dad and his son- no rational person would give that up...

My takeaways from something like this are twofold--
1. It can happen to anyone at anytime- you don't know what everyone is dealing with even if it appears they have it all.
2. If you have a buddy, friend, family member who is walking that line-- whether it is CTE, a stress disorder, or whatever--- surrounding them with people who care and keeping tabs on them is the only way you can make a difference and there are men I know who are alive today living life to the fullest only because people were there to pick them up when they hit the bottom.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7281092 09/08/18 10:20 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
very well said dh175.

It is very sad when a family loses a father.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 09/08/18 10:21 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7281341 09/09/18 02:46 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
It is sad and I never want to hear about it happening. At the same time, I have respect for people wanting to make their exit on their terms. That doesn't make it right or appropriate from the perspective of the living. I get that. If Jason Hairston felt he needed to make an exit on his terms given what was going on to him, I can't argue with such a decision. The prospects of what he would face, troubles caused to the family to care for him, and what he would ultimately be reduced to if the deterioration continued is nothing any of us would want to have happen to ourselves or any loved ones. His prognosis was extremely poor and treatments had failed to bring relief or cessation of deterioration.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: SapperTitan] #7282011 09/10/18 12:27 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
All I’m saying is all these dudes have CTE for like 10-20 yrs and all of a sudden they kill their self and it must be CTE. Sounds to me like an excuse.

It’s my opinion and I don’t think CTE is the cause for these suicides. There are almost always other problems like debt or alcohol/drugs. Yet they blame it on CTE. I just don’t buy into it atleast not yet.

Also how can you prove why they did what they did? I can see if they left a letter saying depression or whatever but how can you medically connect CTE to them pulling the trigger without a shadow of a doubt?

CTE isn’t like manic depression or PTSD. It’s your brain physically changing, which leads to different mental issues. As of now, the only way to test for CTE is to inspect the brain post death. It is a degenerative disease that eats your brain over time.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7282025 09/10/18 12:40 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

CTE isn’t like manic depression or PTSD. It’s your brain physically changing, which leads to different mental issues. As of now, the only way to test for CTE is to inspect the brain post death. It is a degenerative disease that eats your brain over time.
I get that but how can they blame his suicide on something he can’t even be diagnosed with until after death? I’d like to see the results of his brain inspection whenever it’s released but I tip then it’s just speculation that he had CTE correct? Hell I’ve prob got it I’ve been in vehicles on 5 occasions that were hit by IEDs with minor concussion symptoms on 3 of those occasions and way too close to many other large explosions but we will never know bc I’m not getting my brain inspected haha.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7282269 09/10/18 01:30 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I see what you’re saying. Yes, until they autopsy, they can’t know for sure. I suspect they are making assumptions, based on his medical history and comparisons to other people who were found to have had CTE (looking at behavior patterns).

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7282524 09/10/18 04:50 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I see what you’re saying. Yes, until they autopsy, they can’t know for sure. I suspect they are making assumptions, based on his medical history and comparisons to other people who were found to have had CTE (looking at behavior patterns).

They are. Apparently, he did have brain damage and it was degenerative, regardless of what the cause may be. Maybe it is CTE. Maybe it is something else. Maybe it is a combination. From the descriptions in the articles I have seen, he could have have various forms of frontotemporal disorders that have just occurred independently of CTE, but certainly may have been exacerbated by it. Whether the doctors will actually be able to say CTE was the explicit cause of his issues or not, is a whole other matter.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: SapperTitan] #7282546 09/10/18 05:10 PM
H
Hunter307 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
H

Classy. Tell us Columbo, what are basing your hunch on? All the articles, from including his own wife, that suggest different?

Maybe keep this type of stuff to yourself, or not on a public forum where someone that cares about the man could see it.....or just keep showing your a**.

Last edited by Hunter307; 09/10/18 05:20 PM.
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7282556 09/10/18 05:17 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He apologized later in this thread.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Creekrunner] #7282560 09/10/18 05:21 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Thank you. I sometimes just blurt stuff out, say what’s on my mind but word it the wrong or insensitive way. Need to work on that for sure.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: SapperTitan] #7282648 09/10/18 07:03 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Thank you. I sometimes just blurt stuff out, say what’s on my mind but word it the wrong or insensitive way. Need to work on that for sure.

Sap,

nothing wrong with saying what is on your mind. However, viewing suicide as the person being a "coward" or acting "selfishly" is incorrect. The person with a brain injury has a "broken brain," which is a physical problem like having a broken leg. Their broken brain has trouble thinking and functioning correctly like a broken leg does for walking. They are not thinking straight and thinking through all the consequences as we would. A traumatic brain injury in any form, whether a child suffering a skull fracture in a bike wreck or a soldier in an IED blast, doubles their risk of suicide later in life.

Here is a lay report of a recent study, which is only the latest, confirming this correlation. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt...e-idUSKBN1KZ2A2

Somewhat more detailed presentation: https://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files/migrate/library/TBI_Suicide.pdf

Suicide in general is a complex problem, far beyond simple explanations and fixes.

We can try to help those around us, but if the worst happens, please try to be gentle and forgiving for those lost and those who remain for we cannot know the suffering or demons that drove them to their fate. We can only hope they have found peace and pray for their soul.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7282722 09/10/18 08:38 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
It's a sad situation all around. No one wants to loose control.

But I'll never forget what a widow said to me after she found her husband with his brains blown out in his shed. He was diagnosed with what they guessed to be Alzheimers.

She was very angry at him over what he did. She had nightmares about that scene in his shed. Said she never could of imagined having to deal with his death is such a manner.

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not. I know from what I learned that day if I have a friend or family member going through this I'm going to talk to them about this subject. Let them know that if they decide this is the solution at least put some thought into it and make sure your grisly death isn't the last image your family has of you.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7282747 09/10/18 09:02 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
It's a sad situation all around. No one wants to loose control.

But I'll never forget what a widow said to me after she found her husband with his brains blown out in his shed. He was diagnosed with what they guessed to be Alzheimers.

She was very angry at him over what he did. She had nightmares about that scene in his shed. Said she never could of imagined having to deal with his death is such a manner.

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not. I know from what I learned that day if I have a friend or family member going through this I'm going to talk to them about this subject. Let them know that if they decide this is the solution at least put some thought into it and make sure your grisly death isn't the last image your family has of you.

Well said. My step-grandmother, as a young girl, was the one to find her dad. She wasn't ever completely right in the head as an adult.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7282792 09/10/18 09:49 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not.

Some, like Hairston, probably considered the ramifications to some extent. No doubt he was considering the horrors he was going through to deal with it on a daily basis. Many suicidal people definitely do consider what it will do to their families to watch them deteriorate over time, the financial and emotional cost it will have on the family, etc.

Of course, and again, Hairston had diagnosed damage to his frontal cortex. His decision making ability may have been compromised in many ways.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... [Re: Theringworm] #7282811 09/10/18 10:12 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Whatever the cause, the end result was the same. Just seems like it is time to let this man RIP.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide