Texas Hunting Forum

Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu .......

Posted By: Theringworm

Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 12:42 AM

Kuiu just sent out a post about the passing of their founder Jason Hairston. No official reports on what happened. There is some speculation as to what the cause was but that’s not the intention of this post. Regardless......a huge loss to his family foremost. Prayers with his family and colleagues. His accomplishments in the business world and hunting market were pioneering. I enjoyed following his videos and podcasts and am a huge fan of his product. Rest In Peace sir!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 01:00 AM

Wow. Truly remarkable business man, and gifted athlete

My heart breaks for those kids and his family
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 01:25 AM

Says he died on a sheep hunt but no COD yet. Prayers for his family.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 03:32 AM

Never know what’s going on with people.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 03:32 AM

It was on Instagram earlier today that he committed suicide just after a sheep hunt, Not confirmed and terribly sad in any circumstance. He was obviously a talent with clothing co-founding Sitka then KUIU. His performance hunting clothes have changed the game completely for me.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 04:07 AM

There's all kinds of rumors. Here is him and Don Jr hunting Stone sheep last year.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: huntingbig8
It was on Instagram earlier today that he committed suicide just after a sheep hunt, Not confirmed and terribly sad in any circumstance. He was obviously a talent with clothing co-founding Sitka then KUIU. His performance hunting clothes have changed the game completely for me.

Pretty sure he was hunting caribou with his dad and son Cash. He had talked about CTE on a few pod casts. He was a professional football player also until he btroke his neck.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: huntingbig8

Read a few others that are speculating that it was a freak accident
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 05:35 PM

So sad.. Saw where it said he died after the sheep hunt and possible CTE, but not sure if that's fatal and would lend to the suicide.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 06:11 PM

Prayers to his family and friends

May he R.I.P angel
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/06/18 07:19 PM

Prayers to his family and friends. I've seen a lot of different rumors floating around on what happened, but hopefully something will clear a lot of those rumors out. Sad deal regardless.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: safdm44
So sad.. Saw where it said he died after the sheep hunt and possible CTE, but not sure if that's fatal and would lend to the suicide.

CTE, at least what we know about it now, can lead to severe depression and several former p,Ayers have committed suicide to later be diagnosed with CTE.
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 04:37 AM

Kuiu says what happened on their site! “We are incredibly saddened to report that Jason Hairston, the visionary leader and founder of KUIU, was found dead at his home in Dixon, CA on Sept. 4, 2018. He took his own life.”

https://www.kuiu.com/about-us.html

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Ridn9high
Kuiu says what happened on their site! “We are incredibly saddened to report that Jason Hairston, the visionary leader and founder of KUIU, was found dead at his home in Dixon, CA on Sept. 4, 2018. He took his own life.”

https://www.kuiu.com/about-us.html
Left his wife and kids behind to pick up the pieces.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 07:00 AM

Geez. This is truly a tragic ending and I appreciate the truth. My hunting buddy hunted with Don Jr many years ago for a week in GB. CTE is not a joke for some apparantly. His wife was and looks incredible and kids had a great life. Something had to have happened we won't know about... He only played 1 year in the NFL but said he played with his head down the whole time. Jr Seau did the same thing and others. Most of us will never understand I guess...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...n-Hairston.html

Posted By: tlk

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 10:26 PM

word is his 11 year old son found him - sad stuff
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
word is his 11 year old son found him - sad stuff

I sure hope that’s not accurate! Very sad deal. Prayers for the family.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 10:41 PM

I don’t buy into the whole CTE crap. He prob cheated on his wife or something and she was gonna leave him so he took the cowards way out.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I don’t buy into the whole CTE crap. He prob cheated on his wife or something and she was gonna leave him so he took the cowards way out.

What do those doctors and scientist know anyway?!

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/07/18 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

What do those doctors and scientist know anyway?!
not much apparently when it comes to that.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 01:17 AM

Heck of a couple things to speculate on. How do you label him a coward but you start a RIP thread about a thug who died of a drug overdose? confused2

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A

Heck of a couple things to speculate on. How do you label him a coward but you start a RIP thread about a thug who died of a drug overdose? confused2
Because I label anyone who kills their self a coward and the other thread was started as a joke labeled RIP Eminem but they changed the title.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 01:36 AM

All I’m saying is all these dudes have CTE for like 10-20 yrs and all of a sudden they kill their self and it must be CTE. Sounds to me like an excuse.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 02:10 AM

All I’m saying is all these dudes have CTE for like 10-20 yrs and all of a sudden they kill their self and it must be CTE. Sounds to me like an excuse.

You realize it’s a degenerative condition?

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 02:21 AM

It’s my opinion and I don’t think CTE is the cause for these suicides. There are almost always other problems like debt or alcohol/drugs. Yet they blame it on CTE. I just don’t buy into it atleast not yet.

Also how can you prove why they did what they did? I can see if they left a letter saying depression or whatever but how can you medically connect CTE to them pulling the trigger without a shadow of a doubt?
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 11:20 AM

Things I don't do.
1. Speak ill of the dead.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 12:34 PM

Sometimes it’s best to just not actually type the words or hit the “post” button.

Prayers for the family.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 02:16 PM

He openly talked of his battle with CTE.
Sounds like someone else may have issues.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 02:50 PM

Because I label anyone who kills their self a coward and the other thread was started as a joke labeled RIP Eminem but they changed the title.

So if a soldier commits sucicide they are a coward?
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 03:36 PM

It’s my opinion and I don’t think CTE is the cause for these suicides. There are almost always other problems like debt or alcohol/drugs. Yet they blame it on CTE. I just don’t buy into it atleast not yet.

Also how can you prove why they did what they did? I can see if they left a letter saying depression or whatever but how can you medically connect CTE to them pulling the trigger without a shadow of a doubt?

Once again showing you're a sad, twisted individual.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

So if a soldier commits sucicide they are a coward?
I’ve known quite a few who have and I’d consider them all cowards. 5 to be exact that I knew personally and served with. I have no sympathy for anyone who kills their self except for those people in the World Trade Center that has two choices burn to death or jump. I don’t have sympathy for my best friend from HS who blew his own brains out or my mother in law who hung herself from the barn rafters with a dog leash. These people put their families through hell so they can take the easy way out.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 04:20 PM

Anyways back to topic

Prayers for his family especially the kids

After doing a quick google looks like 2017 was the first time a live person was diagnosed with CTE as they had to do a biopsy on the brain before that to even know if someone had CTE. I can’t find anything else about diagnosing CTE in live people. So was this guy diagnosed by a doctor or did he assume he had CTE because of prior concussions and head impacts?

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 06:35 PM

Look I’ve been thinking about it and I agree I should have just kept my mouth shut. I’ve had a lot of suicide around me in my life. Best friend in HS, uncle, aunt, Mother in Law, atleast 5 Army friends. The one thing they all have in common is the families are left behind wondering and blaming themselves for not doing something to help. It sucks my wife blames herself for her moms suicide because her mom called the night she did it and my wife didn’t answer. I have very strong opinions about this subject as I’ve had way more experience with it then I’d like. Sometimes I should just keep my mouth shut and I don’t so I’d like to apologize for expressing my opinion on this the way I did.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 06:42 PM

Well done. up
Posted By: Ridn9high

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 09:19 PM

His wife shared a little

https://people.com/sports/jason-hairston-wife-speaks-out-about-cte/
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 09:23 PM

Sapper -- appreciate your last post-- it is a crappy subject to talk about and most of the time no one feels any better afterwards. I think most of us who have served have had more experience with that subject than we care to admit. I do agree-- sometimes I think there are folks that take the easy/selfish way out- folks that never went outside the wire or experienced war for what it is-- and I share your feelings of anger when those people are memorialized and hero worshipped.

But I also feel... hell I know that I have seen men changed completely from who I knew them as. Their experiences and ability to handle that madness we've seen and things that happened makes it to where the rational side of them has to struggle to hang on and they are literally in a fight for their life, every, single day.

This article: https://people.com/sports/jason-hairston-wife-speaks-out-about-cte/ helps to explain a good bit about this situation. CTE can only be definitely diagnosed postmortem, HOWEVER- some interesting info on the scans and diagnosis that he went through. The fact that he could feel things slipping and she could see it slipping from him is saddening and terrifying and it goes to show how powerful the affect of those issues can be if they topple someone who had achieved so much. Look back through his posts of his hunts with his dad and his son- no rational person would give that up...

My takeaways from something like this are twofold--
1. It can happen to anyone at anytime- you don't know what everyone is dealing with even if it appears they have it all.
2. If you have a buddy, friend, family member who is walking that line-- whether it is CTE, a stress disorder, or whatever--- surrounding them with people who care and keeping tabs on them is the only way you can make a difference and there are men I know who are alive today living life to the fullest only because people were there to pick them up when they hit the bottom.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/08/18 10:20 PM

very well said dh175.

It is very sad when a family loses a father.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/09/18 02:46 AM

It is sad and I never want to hear about it happening. At the same time, I have respect for people wanting to make their exit on their terms. That doesn't make it right or appropriate from the perspective of the living. I get that. If Jason Hairston felt he needed to make an exit on his terms given what was going on to him, I can't argue with such a decision. The prospects of what he would face, troubles caused to the family to care for him, and what he would ultimately be reduced to if the deterioration continued is nothing any of us would want to have happen to ourselves or any loved ones. His prognosis was extremely poor and treatments had failed to bring relief or cessation of deterioration.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 12:27 AM

CTE isn’t like manic depression or PTSD. It’s your brain physically changing, which leads to different mental issues. As of now, the only way to test for CTE is to inspect the brain post death. It is a degenerative disease that eats your brain over time.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter

CTE isn’t like manic depression or PTSD. It’s your brain physically changing, which leads to different mental issues. As of now, the only way to test for CTE is to inspect the brain post death. It is a degenerative disease that eats your brain over time.
I get that but how can they blame his suicide on something he can’t even be diagnosed with until after death? I’d like to see the results of his brain inspection whenever it’s released but I tip then it’s just speculation that he had CTE correct? Hell I’ve prob got it I’ve been in vehicles on 5 occasions that were hit by IEDs with minor concussion symptoms on 3 of those occasions and way too close to many other large explosions but we will never know bc I’m not getting my brain inspected haha.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 01:30 PM

I see what you’re saying. Yes, until they autopsy, they can’t know for sure. I suspect they are making assumptions, based on his medical history and comparisons to other people who were found to have had CTE (looking at behavior patterns).

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 04:50 PM

I see what you’re saying. Yes, until they autopsy, they can’t know for sure. I suspect they are making assumptions, based on his medical history and comparisons to other people who were found to have had CTE (looking at behavior patterns).

They are. Apparently, he did have brain damage and it was degenerative, regardless of what the cause may be. Maybe it is CTE. Maybe it is something else. Maybe it is a combination. From the descriptions in the articles I have seen, he could have have various forms of frontotemporal disorders that have just occurred independently of CTE, but certainly may have been exacerbated by it. Whether the doctors will actually be able to say CTE was the explicit cause of his issues or not, is a whole other matter.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 05:10 PM

Classy. Tell us Columbo, what are basing your hunch on? All the articles, from including his own wife, that suggest different?

Maybe keep this type of stuff to yourself, or not on a public forum where someone that cares about the man could see it.....or just keep showing your a**.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 05:17 PM

He apologized later in this thread.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Thank you. I sometimes just blurt stuff out, say what’s on my mind but word it the wrong or insensitive way. Need to work on that for sure.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 07:03 PM

Thank you. I sometimes just blurt stuff out, say what’s on my mind but word it the wrong or insensitive way. Need to work on that for sure.

Sap,

nothing wrong with saying what is on your mind. However, viewing suicide as the person being a "coward" or acting "selfishly" is incorrect. The person with a brain injury has a "broken brain," which is a physical problem like having a broken leg. Their broken brain has trouble thinking and functioning correctly like a broken leg does for walking. They are not thinking straight and thinking through all the consequences as we would. A traumatic brain injury in any form, whether a child suffering a skull fracture in a bike wreck or a soldier in an IED blast, doubles their risk of suicide later in life.

Here is a lay report of a recent study, which is only the latest, confirming this correlation. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt...e-idUSKBN1KZ2A2

Somewhat more detailed presentation: https://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files/migrate/library/TBI_Suicide.pdf

Suicide in general is a complex problem, far beyond simple explanations and fixes.

We can try to help those around us, but if the worst happens, please try to be gentle and forgiving for those lost and those who remain for we cannot know the suffering or demons that drove them to their fate. We can only hope they have found peace and pray for their soul.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 08:38 PM

It's a sad situation all around. No one wants to loose control.

But I'll never forget what a widow said to me after she found her husband with his brains blown out in his shed. He was diagnosed with what they guessed to be Alzheimers.

She was very angry at him over what he did. She had nightmares about that scene in his shed. Said she never could of imagined having to deal with his death is such a manner.

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not. I know from what I learned that day if I have a friend or family member going through this I'm going to talk to them about this subject. Let them know that if they decide this is the solution at least put some thought into it and make sure your grisly death isn't the last image your family has of you.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

But I'll never forget what a widow said to me after she found her husband with his brains blown out in his shed. He was diagnosed with what they guessed to be Alzheimers.

She was very angry at him over what he did. She had nightmares about that scene in his shed. Said she never could of imagined having to deal with his death is such a manner.

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not. I know from what I learned that day if I have a friend or family member going through this I'm going to talk to them about this subject. Let them know that if they decide this is the solution at least put some thought into it and make sure your grisly death isn't the last image your family has of you.

Well said. My step-grandmother, as a young girl, was the one to find her dad. She wasn't ever completely right in the head as an adult.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 09:49 PM

Think of this guys family finding him that way. Did it occur to him how it would damage them for the rest of their lives, probably not.

Some, like Hairston, probably considered the ramifications to some extent. No doubt he was considering the horrors he was going through to deal with it on a daily basis. Many suicidal people definitely do consider what it will do to their families to watch them deteriorate over time, the financial and emotional cost it will have on the family, etc.

Of course, and again, Hairston had diagnosed damage to his frontal cortex. His decision making ability may have been compromised in many ways.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 10:12 PM

Whatever the cause, the end result was the same. Just seems like it is time to let this man RIP.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 10:46 PM

Agree - if someone is thinking logically then they would never do this to where a family member, much less a child, would be the ones to find them. But apparently if someone is to the point of doing themselves in then logic is lost.

I just pray for his family and hope they have a strong faith - RIP Sir
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/10/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

Sap,

nothing wrong with saying what is on your mind. However, viewing suicide as the person being a "coward" or acting "selfishly" is incorrect. The person with a brain injury has a "broken brain," which is a physical problem like having a broken leg. Their broken brain has trouble thinking and functioning correctly like a broken leg does for walking. They are not thinking straight and thinking through all the consequences as we would. A traumatic brain injury in any form, whether a child suffering a skull fracture in a bike wreck or a soldier in an IED blast, doubles their risk of suicide later in life.

Here is a lay report of a recent study, which is only the latest, confirming this correlation. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt...e-idUSKBN1KZ2A2

Somewhat more detailed presentation: https://www.sprc.org/sites/default/files/migrate/library/TBI_Suicide.pdf

Suicide in general is a complex problem, far beyond simple explanations and fixes.

We can try to help those around us, but if the worst happens, please try to be gentle and forgiving for those lost and those who remain for we cannot know the suffering or demons that drove them to their fate. We can only hope they have found peace and pray for their soul.

Very well said.

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/11/18 02:24 AM

I've known a handful of men that did this. Can in no way rationalize this. Two were definitely in trouble, and tired of fighting it. Still...don't get it.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/20/18 09:02 PM

https://people.com/sports/jason-hairston-wife-speaks-out-about-cte/
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/20/18 09:18 PM

Maybe his mood swings were becoming worse and he was scared he may end up harming his family in one of those episodes in addition to himself.

Taken from the article Bobo posted:

Quote:
When he became concerned about the fluctuating emotions he would experience after consuming even a small amount of alcohol, Jason asked his wife to closely monitor him one night as he sipped a drink in their home in Dixon, California.

“He wanted me to see what happened to him,” Kirstyn says of that moment, more than a decade ago. “He had two drinks, and he was 100 percent different. He just started crying. I looked at him and I said, ‘My god, this isn’t alcohol. There’s something wrong with you.’

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/20/18 10:44 PM

The article said he killed himself at home, but I thought he killed himself on a hunt. Maybe I’m just mixed up.

Either way, I feel terrible for the family. That’s awful.

Re: Jason Hairston founder of Kuiu ....... - 09/20/18 11:13 PM

The article said he killed himself at home, but I thought he killed himself on a hunt. Maybe I’m just mixed up.

Either way, I feel terrible for the family. That’s awful.

Home
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum