Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 3D printed guns [Re: 603Country] #7244078 08/03/18 03:30 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z
Fireman hit the nail on the head. 3D printers are a tool. Depending on the printer, will yield you different sets of tools. Whether it's high precision, high speed, strength, or a combo of all of these. Part design for metal parts and "plastic" (term used lightly) parts will be different to gain strength properties.

The company I work for sells, uses, and works on, one of the top 3d printers that's being manufactured on the market currently You'd be surprised at what customers are printing...

One type of printer we have is a production machine to replace the need for injection molding for certain types of businesses. Different materials are available to yield different part characteristics and more materials are on the horizon. Speed has also gained traction with 3D printing. For example, we can print 40 of the frames above in about 16 hours and I wouldn't hesitate to replace the factory frame with this printed frame and shoot with it. Granted I would only try 1 or 2 to see how confident I was with it, but there hasn't been much testing on printed guns...yet. Ours wasn't printed to shoot, but was mainly to show the precision on the printer.

It just seems that the left is trying to grasp at (California assault) straws of anything to deal with firearms.

Re: 3D printed guns [Re: ZK-315] #7244153 08/03/18 04:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Fireman hit the nail on the head. 3D printers are a tool. Depending on the printer, will yield you different sets of tools. Whether it's high precision, high speed, strength, or a combo of all of these. Part design for metal parts and "plastic" (term used lightly) parts will be different to gain strength properties.

The company I work for sells, uses, and works on, one of the top 3d printers that's being manufactured on the market currently You'd be surprised at what customers are printing...

One type of printer we have is a production machine to replace the need for injection molding for certain types of businesses. Different materials are available to yield different part characteristics and more materials are on the horizon. Speed has also gained traction with 3D printing. For example, we can print 40 of the frames above in about 16 hours and I wouldn't hesitate to replace the factory frame with this printed frame and shoot with it. Granted I would only try 1 or 2 to see how confident I was with it, but there hasn't been much testing on printed guns...yet. Ours wasn't printed to shoot, but was mainly to show the precision on the printer.

It just seems that the left is trying to grasp at (California assault) straws of anything to deal with firearms.

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, a point not to be missed is how firearm owners and hunters are alike in that we have a responsibility to keep track of key events that create possible threats to the activities we now enjoy. Nothing can turn the voting majority against any activity than a "I don't give a damn what you believe" attitude.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: 3D printed guns [Re: pertnear] #7244292 08/03/18 07:14 PM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: pertnear
I know only what I've read about 3D printers. My understanding is that this whole outcry is due to someone posting (I guess selling) plans on how to build a gun with a 3D printer. I'm guessing that the plans are really just a computer file of data that drives a 3D printer. I assume there is a standard "language" or instruction set of code for these printers just like programming a CNC machine. Like most computer files, once one is out, it gets electronically propagated & multiplied across the Internet. So what is done is done already with existing "gun" files.

I put this is in the same bucket as bump-stocks & binary-triggers. As a gun enthusiast, who cares! But as a believer in the constitution & the 1st & 2nd amendment, outlawing this stuff erodes & weakens our rights.

He is actually posting them for free

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide