Texas Hunting Forum

3D printed guns

Posted By: 603Country

3D printed guns - 08/01/18 03:02 AM

Have any of you actually seen a “printed” handgun? I suppose they can be fired. Can they be fired more than once without you donating a finger or two?

A company I used to work for was on the cutting edge of 3D printing some years ago, and they could do amazing things. But, the things made were of something like a hard synthetic, and I can’t imagine a pistol made of it. At least a pistol that could be fired safely.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 04:51 AM

Reminds me of a scene from “In the Army now”

I’mmmmmmm not trying it!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 11:45 AM

Sounds kinda dumb to me.……..
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 12:00 PM

You know a military style assault weapon shoots 3 times faster than the wimpy 9mm rendering it impotent against a 556. You'd be better off using a butter knife.

Also Ar15 will rape your wives, eat your child and and incorrectly file your taxes.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 12:04 PM

IDK, but i want one, especially that weird little pistol they keep showing on the news
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 12:15 PM

just something else for the liby's to whine about, just like the bump stocks
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 12:27 PM

I like the vids that show they blow up!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 01:59 PM

Meh....

I am interested in computers, 3D printing, firearms and most things related.

It is an interesting proof of concept and I guess it could have a use.
Posted By: chalet

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 03:10 PM

I think too many people watch CSI or whatever crime show. Bunch of to do about nothing. One of my daughters was watching the news with me last night asked me what I thought. I said there are umpteen million quality guns in the US. A bad guy doesn't need to go through the hassle of buying a 3d printer, downloading the program, and trying to make his own that might only go bang a couple times.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/01/18 04:01 PM

We have three 3D printers in our Lab at work, one uses liquid media and is the most precise.

The 3D printer is great for rapid prototyping, but once the design is finalized, the items get manufactured from higher quality materials/methods.

I wouldn't want to fire a magazine of ammo thru any gun that came out of one of our printers.

I'd sooner repeat some of Richard Davis' marketing tactics for Second Chance:

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 05:55 AM

Want to make a liberals head explode? Tell them that you are using melted down plastic straws to make a 3d printed gun!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: 9x19
We have three 3D printers in our Lab at work, one uses liquid media and is the most precise.

The 3D printer is great for rapid prototyping, but once the design is finalized, the items get manufactured from higher quality materials/methods.

I wouldn't want to fire a magazine of ammo thru any gun that came out of one of our printers.

Only illegal reasons come to mind as to why a consumer would want to own and carry a 3D firearm.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
Want to make a liberals head explode? Tell them that you are using melted down plastic straws to make a 3d printed gun!
clap
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Only illegal reasons come to mind as to why a consumer would want to own and carry a 3D firearm.

What about being a hobbyist? How do you feel about 80% firearms?

My brother and I both experimented with 3d printed AR lowers when they first came about probably 5 years ago. We never had a solid design due to poor quality materials, but the industry has come a long way since then. I'd love to print a couple lowers for .22 ARs or another fun project, but apparently only a criminal would have a reason to do so...

I'd definitely print one of the liberator pistols for [censored] and giggles.

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 12:03 PM

[quote=9x19]

Or maybe Constitutional ones....
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 12:54 PM

Got a few sitting on my desk now, but ours aren't meant for firing. For this one, it would require more parts that are metal to be functional.

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/02/18 01:10 PM

Baloney!

Federal law has never proscribed an individual's freedom to build their own firearms, nor is there a requirement that such firearms be marked in any manner. They can not be made for sale, without first getting a manufacturer's license and adhering to all the pertinent regulations put forth by the BATFE, but for personal use, you can make as many as you want... always could.

The current fervor is just a bunch of folks trying to prove they are each more ignorant than the last.
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 12:35 AM

Baloney!

Federal law has never proscribed an individual's freedom to build their own firearms, nor is there a requirement that such firearms be marked in any manner. They can not be made for sale, without first getting a manufacturer's license and adhering to all the pertinent regulations put forth by the BATFE, but for personal use, you can make as many as you want... always could.

The current fervor is just a bunch of folks trying to prove they are each more ignorant than the last.

amen and stop infringing on my rights
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 01:43 AM

Funny, I read today that our fine US rep from Austin is filing a bill to make 3D printed guns be required to have serial numbers....hopefully no one points out that other home made firearms aren’t required to do thIs.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 01:44 AM

For the 1911 folks. roflmao

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 03:20 AM

It seems the issue isn't so much satisfying a need for a 3D firearm but not missing an opportunity to make an "in your face" statement by having one.

I can think of many things I could build myself but it seems like a total waste of time when I can buy a much better one so easily.

The cost of a 3D printer capable of producing a 3D firearm hasn't been mentioned. Why spend thousands on a printer when you could take the same money and buy a small arsenal.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
For the 1911 folks. roflmao

whip

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 01:14 PM

It seems the issue isn't so much satisfying a need for a 3D firearm but not missing an opportunity to make an "in your face" statement by having one.

I can think of many things I could build myself but it seems like a total waste of time when I can buy a much better one so easily.

The cost of a 3D printer capable of producing a 3D firearm hasn't been mentioned. Why spend thousands on a printer when you could take the same money and buy a small arsenal.

Why buy a mill or lathe, build a forge or buy a belt grinder?

Some folks like building their own, some don't. 3D printing is just another means to an end, and one that produces a rather fragile product (right now).
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 01:26 PM

Why buy a mill or lathe, build a forge or buy a belt grinder?

Some folks like building their own, some don't. 3D printing is just another means to an end, and one that produces a rather fragile product (right now).

Exactly.

I have a mill, lathe, forge, belt grinder, three welders, plasma, oxy-fuel, bandsaw, and the list goes on. They are just tools. What I choose to build with them is my business. Be it furniture, farm and ranch items, or something firearm related. It is not difficult to understand a person buying a 3D printer as a business investment, to make an infinite amount of parts, for an infinite amount of industries. If one happens to be firearm related, that is their business.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 02:28 PM

I know only what I've read about 3D printers. My understanding is that this whole outcry is due to someone posting (I guess selling) plans on how to build a gun with a 3D printer. I'm guessing that the plans are really just a computer file of data that drives a 3D printer. I assume there is a standard "language" or instruction set of code for these printers just like programming a CNC machine. Like most computer files, once one is out, it gets electronically propagated & multiplied across the Internet. So what is done is done already with existing "gun" files.

I put this is in the same bucket as bump-stocks & binary-triggers. As a gun enthusiast, who cares! But as a believer in the constitution & the 1st & 2nd amendment, outlawing this stuff erodes & weakens our rights.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 03:30 PM

Fireman hit the nail on the head. 3D printers are a tool. Depending on the printer, will yield you different sets of tools. Whether it's high precision, high speed, strength, or a combo of all of these. Part design for metal parts and "plastic" (term used lightly) parts will be different to gain strength properties.

The company I work for sells, uses, and works on, one of the top 3d printers that's being manufactured on the market currently You'd be surprised at what customers are printing...

One type of printer we have is a production machine to replace the need for injection molding for certain types of businesses. Different materials are available to yield different part characteristics and more materials are on the horizon. Speed has also gained traction with 3D printing. For example, we can print 40 of the frames above in about 16 hours and I wouldn't hesitate to replace the factory frame with this printed frame and shoot with it. Granted I would only try 1 or 2 to see how confident I was with it, but there hasn't been much testing on printed guns...yet. Ours wasn't printed to shoot, but was mainly to show the precision on the printer.

It just seems that the left is trying to grasp at (California assault) straws of anything to deal with firearms.

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Fireman hit the nail on the head. 3D printers are a tool. Depending on the printer, will yield you different sets of tools. Whether it's high precision, high speed, strength, or a combo of all of these. Part design for metal parts and "plastic" (term used lightly) parts will be different to gain strength properties.

The company I work for sells, uses, and works on, one of the top 3d printers that's being manufactured on the market currently You'd be surprised at what customers are printing...

One type of printer we have is a production machine to replace the need for injection molding for certain types of businesses. Different materials are available to yield different part characteristics and more materials are on the horizon. Speed has also gained traction with 3D printing. For example, we can print 40 of the frames above in about 16 hours and I wouldn't hesitate to replace the factory frame with this printed frame and shoot with it. Granted I would only try 1 or 2 to see how confident I was with it, but there hasn't been much testing on printed guns...yet. Ours wasn't printed to shoot, but was mainly to show the precision on the printer.

It just seems that the left is trying to grasp at (California assault) straws of anything to deal with firearms.

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, a point not to be missed is how firearm owners and hunters are alike in that we have a responsibility to keep track of key events that create possible threats to the activities we now enjoy. Nothing can turn the voting majority against any activity than a "I don't give a damn what you believe" attitude.

Re: 3D printed guns - 08/03/18 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: pertnear
I know only what I've read about 3D printers. My understanding is that this whole outcry is due to someone posting (I guess selling) plans on how to build a gun with a 3D printer. I'm guessing that the plans are really just a computer file of data that drives a 3D printer. I assume there is a standard "language" or instruction set of code for these printers just like programming a CNC machine. Like most computer files, once one is out, it gets electronically propagated & multiplied across the Internet. So what is done is done already with existing "gun" files.

I put this is in the same bucket as bump-stocks & binary-triggers. As a gun enthusiast, who cares! But as a believer in the constitution & the 1st & 2nd amendment, outlawing this stuff erodes & weakens our rights.

He is actually posting them for free
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum