Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167546 05/12/18 01:41 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: 7mag
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
Years ago some buddies and I leased a big place outside of Fort Stockton. We sold guided hunts for the pronghorn tags and several mule deer hunts to some guys from Houston. We all hunted for free. Is that wrong?

Under your circumstances and for you, probably not. With that stated I hunted and guided in Pecos County till about the last 4 yrs. There was only 8 landowner tags issued prior to 2011 to private ranches (not many antelope). After that no tags were issued due to the significant die off in area more so in the Davis Mountains towards Alpine. So maybe not wrong on your part but illegal as hell. popcorn Also note if you tell me it was NOT Pecos County all surrounding counties pretty much banned the hunting within the last few yrs as In Brewster etc. Oh look were is states LANDOWNER CONSENT, You are not or were not the Landowner.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/pronghorn#permits
Pronghorn Antelope May be Harvested by Permit Only
For all pronghorn harvested in Texas, a permit must be properly and completely filled out and attached anywhere on the pronghorn. Pronghorn permits are issued to the landowner or landowner’s agent in most areas where there is an open season for pronghorn (the Trans-Pecos, Permian Basin and Panhandle); however, the department is testing an experimental, buck-only season in selected areas of the Panhandle. On properties within the experimental areas, hunters must obtain a FREE Experimental Pronghorn permit directly from the department or a participating local merchant, not from the landowner. Hunters must still obtain landowner consent to hunt (killing a pronghorn without landowner consent is a felony, see Unlawful Activities). Additionally, hunters must present the entire head (intact) of any harvested pronghorn at a designated check station within 24 hours of take. For more information on the experimental buck-only season in the Panhandle, including maps of the areas, locations where permits may be obtained, and locations of mandatory check stations, call (800) 792-1112, or see FAQs about pronghorn permits.

Hell yes it was Pecos County and we were plenty legal 30 years ago.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: scalebuster] #7167564 05/12/18 02:13 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Years ago some buddies and I leased a big place outside of Fort Stockton. We sold guided hunts for the pronghorn tags and several mule deer hunts to some guys from Houston. We all hunted for free. Is that wrong?

In this case, did y'all have the landowner's consent?

A lot of this boils down to landowner's consent & if other leasees know that a "lease boss" is hunting at a reduced rate (or none).

if a "lease boss" or any lease member engages in activities on the lease that are not in accords with the landowners instructions, or the lease members knowledge, therein lies the problem.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: scalebuster] #7167565 05/12/18 02:16 AM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity

Under your circumstances and for you, probably not. With that stated I hunted and guided in Pecos County till about the last 4 yrs. There was only 8 landowner tags issued prior to 2011 to private ranches (not many antelope). After that no tags were issued due to the significant die off in area more so in the Davis Mountains towards Alpine. So maybe not wrong on your part but illegal as hell. popcorn Also note if you tell me it was NOT Pecos County all surrounding counties pretty much banned the hunting within the last few yrs as In Brewster etc. Oh look were is states LANDOWNER CONSENT, You are not or were not the Landowner.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/pronghorn#permits
Pronghorn Antelope May be Harvested by Permit Only
For all pronghorn harvested in Texas, a permit must be properly and completely filled out and attached anywhere on the pronghorn. Pronghorn permits are issued to the landowner or landowner’s agent in most areas where there is an open season for pronghorn (the Trans-Pecos, Permian Basin and Panhandle); however, the department is testing an experimental, buck-only season in selected areas of the Panhandle. On properties within the experimental areas, hunters must obtain a FREE Experimental Pronghorn permit directly from the department or a participating local merchant, not from the landowner. Hunters must still obtain landowner consent to hunt (killing a pronghorn without landowner consent is a felony, see Unlawful Activities). Additionally, hunters must present the entire head (intact) of any harvested pronghorn at a designated check station within 24 hours of take. For more information on the experimental buck-only season in the Panhandle, including maps of the areas, locations where permits may be obtained, and locations of mandatory check stations, call (800) 792-1112, or see FAQs about pronghorn permits.

Hell yes it was Pecos County and we were plenty legal 30 years ago.

Of course 30 yrs ago........................ scared

[Linked Image]
"Laugh with many, but don't trust any"
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167664 05/12/18 04:46 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
It's chicken s@$t alright

That is just as bad as the guy that organizes a hunt for a group and gets his "day hunt" as a freebie.

His first name Bob???

That is one of them.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167713 05/12/18 11:25 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
So...a lease boss is essentially a property manager correct? He is doing work outside of actually being a lessee on the property correct? If this is the case then shouldn't his time and effort be worth something? Maybe not a free ride but rather a discounted rate versus what the others pay? Just sayin.... confused2

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167730 05/12/18 11:51 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The reason this discussion is all over the place is there is no one definition for “Lease Boss”. Could mean anything from collecting the money/handing it to the landowner to hundreds of hours of work/networking.

If a man does something for me, I have no problem paying him. In fact, I insist on it.
OTOH, if a man rips me off, I’m done with him.

Openness and transparency is the key - if it’s there everyone can make up their own mind about what is fair.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7167762 05/12/18 01:11 PM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The reason this discussion is all over the place is there is no one definition for “Lease Boss”. Could mean anything from collecting the money/handing it to the landowner to hundreds of hours of work/networking.

If a man does something for me, I have no problem paying him. In fact, I insist on it.

Openness and transparency is the key - if it’s there everyone can make up their own mind about what is fair.

Thats just it. Most say they go above and beyond. All I want to know is how does it justify not paying 2 to 3 thousand in lease fees (example only may be less ir higher).

2 to 3 paid by members for what?? That is what I ask. I made a few phone calls, kicked Joe off etc. Justification or freeloading??

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167767 05/12/18 01:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just as many have different ideas in their heads of what "management" is.

Lots of folks, in all walks of life, have a very inflated opinion of how much actual effort they've put into something. One afternoon, one or two phone calls becomes "constantly", "always", etc. when they describe how much they do.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167963 05/12/18 05:35 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Again, if I have the lease and I am responsible, I can sublease for whatever I get. If I'm leasing for my group I need to come to an agreement with my other lessees. That's the bottom line in my book
I've been on an annual dove lease, I don't know the other hunters. I suspect the lease manager is making money or at least hunting for free. I don't have a problem. I accepted the deal and it's none of my business what his deal is. If I lease two floors on a high rise and sublease 1 floor, it's none of the subleasees business what my deal is.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7167969 05/12/18 06:04 PM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Have had lease for 14ys that I "manage". Pay my share of lease cost and feed. Other members pay their share of feed. Feeders are mine and I maintain them.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: The Dude Abides] #7168193 05/13/18 12:54 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
So...a lease boss is essentially a property manager correct? He is doing work outside of actually being a lessee on the property correct? If this is the case then shouldn't his time and effort be worth something? Maybe not a free ride but rather a discounted rate versus what the others pay? Just sayin.... confused2

There is value in responsibility and in your money being at risk.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7168218 05/13/18 01:13 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Thats just it. Most say they go above and beyond. All I want to know is how does it justify not paying 2 to 3 thousand in lease fees (example only may be less ir higher).

2 to 3 paid by members for what?? That is what I ask. I made a few phone calls, kicked Joe off etc. Justification or freeloading??

Once again. If that’s all you did as lease manager then there was no reason for you to be a lease manager. I pay my own way but I spend hours upon hours doing the job. 12 hunters. Collect money. Handle feed delivery and payments, organize work days, find the RIGHT new members, show all prospective new members the ranch , answer multiple questions, keep land owners updated and happy, take ALL the risk as my name is on the lease - I am liable for all the money due .... I can go on and on. And I pay my own way

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Boss [Re: tlk] #7168225 05/13/18 01:29 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: tlk

Once again. If that’s all you did as lease manager then there was no reason for you to be a lease manager. I pay my own way but I spend hours upon hours doing the job. 12 hunters. Collect money. Handle feed delivery and payments, organize work days, find the RIGHT new members, show all prospective new members the ranch , answer multiple questions, keep land owners updated and happy, take ALL the risk as my name is on the lease - I am liable for all the money due .... I can go on and on. And I pay my own way

One year to help out the lease manger (boss) I took on the responsibility of keeping the books on payments for the lease, payments on the improvements to the camphouse and getting 1/12th of the electric bill from each member (12 members). I will never do that again. It is amazing how 12 well to do guys are so hard to get a payment on time (God bless the few that paid it all up front). They never show up with a check and have more excuses than a bad employee. And the entire time everything was in the managers name, he had to make payments regardless.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7168900 05/14/18 01:32 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

You are dead on - as with anything in life there are those that do and those that do not. The definition of what a lease manager should do ranges all over the place. Being open, up front, and transparent with other lease hunters is the only way to do it IMO.

I share every dollar we spend with all members and give a full accounting to everyone each season. I cannot tell you how many hours I spend making sure our lease runs smoothly and is enjoyable for everyone. I am not complaining about it - I accepted the job.

In return, I receive ZERO compensation - I do it because I love hunting and a great hunting camp with great friends. I also can say that there is nothing more satisfying than seeing a member kill the biggest deer they have ever taken. It has happened many times over my 11 years and THAT is my compensation.

Problem is that the OP is saying that all lease managers are on the take. Maybe many of them are and maybe I am naive - all I know is how I run our lease. So to insinuate that all lease managers only "make a few phone calls" is totally misguided.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Boss [Re: tlk] #7168939 05/14/18 02:09 AM
7mag Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Good luck to you - hope you can work through your issues - Adios

You said Adios like 3 days ago and keep coming back? confused2

[Linked Image]
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7168980 05/14/18 02:48 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I’d have no problem with it if the guy was earning the money and the overall value was solid.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7169097 05/14/18 11:37 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Good luck to you - hope you can work through your issues - Adios

You said Adios like 3 days ago and keep coming back? confused2

Changed my mind - now you are no longer confused

You can't fix stupid
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7186224 06/02/18 02:42 AM
T
TXRobTRX Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
my take on it is pretty simple.....

If everyone is treated fairly, everything runs smooth, and the lease boss deals with any and all headaches, he is working, pure and simple. If I agree with the lease fee, what he pays is none of my business.

On our lease, the lease boss is the hardest working guy on the lease, and spends more time on maintenance and upkeep than most of us spend at the lease at all! I have never even thought of asking him if he is paying a share or not, and I dont frankly care one way or the other.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7191821 06/08/18 03:09 AM
G
gollygee Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
I have a lease with seven other hunters that sub lease from me. I do more work on the lease than all of them together. I am responsible for everything. Everyone has the option of hunting on that lease or finding a better spot. The price is agreed on up front, paid on time, no turd stirrers, no nonsense and no new (replacement) hunters if someone leaves the lease. I pay 1/8 of the total cost because that is the way I want it. It works for us. Life is good.

Re: Lease Boss [Re: HWY_MAN] #7192919 06/09/18 03:45 AM
Team Hillbilly Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Lord knows I don't like to offend people so I'll try and be gentle. What's the difference between a salesman getting a commission on a 40 thousand dollar truck, a realtor getting a commission on a 150 thousand dollar house or a lease manager/boss taking his commission in trade for putting together the lease and taking on the responsibilities that go with it.

Example.
I'm the owner of say 5 sections and I want to lease it out for 2000 dollars a section. I have a man that tells me he can get that done and his commission for putting it together and handling the hunters is he hunts free. He takes the headaches of dealing with the hunter and also the responsibilities, I take the money. To be honest I think that's the way I would prefer it, I only have to deal with one person. I'm not sure how anybody can see a problem with this. The deal between him and I is nobodies business but ours, the rest is deals between him and the hunters.

I can agree it's nobody business. confused

Last edited by Team Hillbilly; 06/09/18 04:21 AM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard

Team Hillbilly
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Re: Lease Boss [Re: Team Hillbilly] #7198559 06/15/18 04:24 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I have no problem with it either way. EXCEPT, when you put another person between you and your customer you increase the potential for graft and corruption. Even “respectable” folks on this forum think it’s fine and dandy to bribe the lease boss to keep new offers from the landowner.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7198585 06/15/18 04:54 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We have a lease "manager" that's just one of us and pays the same as us. Although I'm sure he'd love to be called "boss". He is a friend of mine, but loves to try and give orders, most of which are ignored by the rest of us. I've been around plenty of men that say the word "we", as in "We really need to work on the blinds," when they mean "I want to direct and supervise you doing the work." Screw that, I've paid my dues. If you want to work beside me, I'll give it all I've got. But I don't work FOR nobody no mo.

The owner wanted just one contact in the group, and I completely understand that. Now that he knows us though, he comes and talks to me all the time about things we need to know or do.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Lease Boss [Re: 7mag] #7198603 06/15/18 05:09 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I never thought about doing this. Interesting idea.

So I could find a landowner looking to lease like $24K worth of land for the season or maybe year round. I fork over the $24K and secure the lease. Then I find 8 hunters to pay $3,000 each. Have reasonable lease rules. Plus there might need to be some sort of expenses related to electricity etc.

At the rate people seem to fork over money to get leases this would not be a problem. I mean some people pay before even seeing the property.

Nonetheless I'll bet you will earn your share just dealing with people.

To be determined
Re: Lease Boss [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7198661 06/15/18 05:49 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
I never thought about doing this. Interesting idea.

So I could find a landowner looking to lease like $24K worth of land for the season or maybe year round. I fork over the $24K and secure the lease. Then I find 8 hunters to pay $3,000 each. Have reasonable lease rules. Plus there might need to be some sort of expenses related to electricity etc.

At the rate people seem to fork over money to get leases this would not be a problem. I mean some people pay before even seeing the property.

Nonetheless I'll bet you will earn your share just dealing with people.

Just because you've never thought about this, doesn't mean thousands haven't. If it was easy, you wouldn't hear all the hunters on this site complaining that they can't afford to get on a good lease.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Lease Boss [Re: therancher] #7198992 06/16/18 12:02 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: therancher
I have no problem with it either way. EXCEPT, when you put another person between you and your customer you increase the potential for graft and corruption. Even “respectable” folks on this forum think it’s fine and dandy to bribe the lease boss to keep new offers from the landowner.

Do tell popcorn

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide