Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7046882 01/21/18 02:35 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
It looked like a pleasant walk

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047237 01/21/18 07:18 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
You or anyone else...IMHO, this is the most unsportsmanlike way to hunt something. How is it sporting to have something held down for you to walk up to and stick? Go tackle one yourself and knife it, that would be video-worthy.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx] #7047296 01/21/18 08:16 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Unsportsmanlike? Do you use thermal or hunt over bait? Because I'd like for you to explain how using dogs and a knife is not fair but using a scope in the dead of night that detects heat or dumping out corn is. If it's legal I support it. If you don't I'm sure PETA is looking for new members.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx] #7047299 01/21/18 08:16 PM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
You or anyone else...IMHO, this is the most unsportsmanlike way to hunt something. How is it sporting to have something held down for you to walk up to and stick? Go tackle one yourself and knife it, that would be video-worthy.

Respect your opinion.. But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs there is.

The catch dog is NOT released until we are right there by the group of dogs that have it bayed up (barking at it and keeping it busy not biting it). So it is only held down for very minimal time until it is stuck straight into the heart for a quick kill.

I would say learn a little more about it until you knock it.

Joseph Trousdale
Host Texas Game Hunters TV
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7047380 01/21/18 09:31 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Monster_Raxx
Unsportsmanlike? Do you use thermal or hunt over bait? Because I'd like for you to explain how using dogs and a knife is not fair but using a scope in the dead of night that detects heat or dumping out corn is. If it's legal I support it. If you don't I'm sure PETA is looking for new members.

I do all of what you mentioned, but there's' no one holding it down while I shoot it.

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs...

This has to be one of the more full of crap ideas you've yet to put forward.

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047465 01/21/18 10:51 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
When I go after hogs I don't worry much about sportsmanship. I want every advantage I can get!
I use the wind, bait, whatever optics I have, expanding bullets, game cameras — whatever works.
Hogs are not a game animal in Texas, they're basically a nuisance.

I don't hunt with dogs and can't afford a helicopter, but I'm not going to criticize the folks who do as long as they don't trespass.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx] #7047543 01/21/18 11:29 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

I do all of what you mentioned, but there's' no one holding it down while I shoot it.

But it is more about eradication.. With dogs they can eradicate up to 10-20 hogs in a day... How many can you shoot at a feeder? It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs...

This has to be one of the more full of crap ideas you've yet to put forward.

I guess you don't watch Carnivore with Gary Roberson... this is a method of hog control whether you like it or not. Shooting hogs over a feeder does nothing.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047555 01/21/18 11:35 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
We don't need anti hunters on this forum

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: Txduckman] #7047629 01/22/18 12:17 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
I guess you don't watch Carnivore with Gary Roberson... this is a method of hog control whether you like it or not.

You're right, I don't watch hunting shows, I have better ways to spend my time. Where did I say it wasn't a method of hog control? I took issue with our videographer wannabe's comment of "it being one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs there is" and that I don't care to have my game held down while I attempt to kill it.

Your comment of "shooting hogs over a feeder does nothing", is that directed at killing or eradication? Lot's more killed that way vs knifing. Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

We don't need anti hunters on this forum

I agree! up I even said "kill it" vs "harvest it", so what's your point?

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: CharlieCTx] #7047670 01/22/18 12:57 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

So in one day you can shoot 15-20 hogs at a feeder? Amazing I want to bee on your lease/property!

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047683 01/22/18 01:06 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Are we going to "eradicate" hogs by shooting them at corn feeders, of course not. Calling hog doggin' a method of eradication is ridiculous, you're just killing a few, which I'm all for.

So in one day you can shoot 15-20 hogs at a feeder? Amazing I want to bee on your lease/property!
seen it done many times but usually in wheat fields or other agriculture. Shooting is deg more effective but stabbing sounds fun.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047738 01/22/18 01:34 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Not my cup of tea, but not critical of those who do.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: SapperTitan] #7047777 01/22/18 01:50 AM
T
TXGH Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
seen it done many times but usually in wheat fields or other agriculture. Shooting is deg more effective but stabbing sounds fun.[/quote]

Very good point. But More directed at feeder hunting... Not trying to knock any style by any means.

Joseph Trousdale
TXGameHunters.com

www.TXgamehunters.com
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7047862 01/22/18 02:40 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Hunting ag field vs a feeder is no comparison. I have ran out of bullets in a field with just a bolt action (ironcially that field was featured in an unfortunate video posted here last year). Point is, each method is most effective in certain situations.

Carnivore is not your regular show. Gary is a member here. His last show was filmed with one of our favorite members on his ranch. On another show he does a hog dog hunt for hog control so it was good to see how it was done even though he sticks with filming that one. I just stick to the ole rifle myself. up

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048037 01/22/18 05:29 AM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
It is one of the most effective way of dispatching hogs there is.

This appears to be your central argument... why isn't the state bringing in Hog Dogger's from across the US and encouraging everyone to drop their rifles and go get some dogs?

Quote:
Amazing I want to bee on your lease/property!

The last thing I want to see is a bee your size, buzzing around at my lease. smile

I was stating my opinion on your video. If you can't take a dissenting opinion, don't post the videos.

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048215 01/22/18 02:11 PM
B
budward Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would definitely say using an ar with a 30 round clip and night vision is More unsportsmanlike and quite hypocritical of you. Now, deer hunting with dogs, I would agree that that is unsportsmanlike since they are game animals.

People have been hunting hogs using horses and dogs since before christ. Hell, they used to use spears and bows from horseback. Now THATS badass.

Last edited by budward; 01/22/18 02:13 PM.
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048387 01/22/18 03:46 PM
briancooper Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I've done it, but won't do it again. It can be pretty inhumane at times. I prefer a .270 to the base of the ear. I agree that they need to be killed and am not knocking "sticking." It just isn't my preference.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048411 01/22/18 04:00 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The concept of sportsmanship in hunting is very interesting to consider. Usually, sportsmanship is a concept that is equally applied to both or all competing parties. In the wild kingdom, no such thing exists. The lion does not give the antelope fair warning, a head start, or even necessarily a more-even numbered one-on-one fight. Lions will use stealth, surprise, and even team tactics to take down an antelope in a very scary chase that can result in a rather violent and merciless kill that undoubtedly causes the antelope considerable pain and suffering before it finally succombs. Should the antelope fall during a chase, the lion does not stop to help the antelope to his feet before continuing the chase. When the lion catches the antelope, she does not congratulate the antelope on his effort to get away. The lion doesn't even necessarily deliver a killing bite to spare the antelope from pain, but may start ripping him apart while still alive. It is not sporting. There is no sportsmanship. It is not even remotely fair.

Ironically, the concept of fair chase from Boone and Crockett includes the aspect of sportsmanship, but has nothing to do with actually being fair...
https://www.boone-crockett.org/huntingEthics/ethics_fairchase.asp?area=huntingEthics
Quote:
FAIR CHASE STATEMENT
FAIR CHASE, as defined by the Boone and Crockett Club, is the ethical, sportsmanlike, and lawful pursuit and taking of any free-ranging wild, native North American big game animal in a manner that does not give the hunter an improper advantage over such animals.

I don't know what world in which the Boone and Crockett people live that they would consider a scoped rifle not to be an improper advantage to use on a deer, or other game species as it is most certainly an unfair advantage. The deer does not know to be afraid and to take evasive action even if it sees a hunter at 300 yards, yet the hunter can certainly kill a deer at that distance.

When you think about it, in nature and outside of human involvement, animals usually must come into contact with one another to produce a kill. Deer and many other animals live their lives in this manner as this is how they have evolved for millions of years before humans were even a factor. Deer and other game do not understand the concept of ballistics and being killed from afar anymore than humans understood germs, bacteria, and viruses 2000 years ago. So how it is that a rifle isn't an "improper" or unfair advantage to take a game animal is beyond me...and yet it is part of the sportsmanship of the sportsman who came up with the rules.

What I am saying here is that sportmanship, as it applies to hunting, follows nothing resembling what goes on in nature, but instead is a self imposed limit on the amount unfair advantage we apply to how we take game. It seems to stride hand-in-hand with the equally murky concept of "ethics."

I don't like how several people on this forum conduct their hunts. I know that many don't like how I conduct mine. As long as they are legal and not intentionally trying to produce or allow undue suffering, then if I don't like their stuff, I simply avoid their posts and videos.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: budward] #7048425 01/22/18 04:06 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: budward
Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. I would definitely say using an ar with a 30 round clip and night vision is More unsportsmanlike and quite hypocritical of you. Now, deer hunting with dogs, I would agree that that is unsportsmanlike since they are game animals.

People have been hunting hogs using horses and dogs since before christ. Hell, they used to use spears and bows from horseback. Now THATS badass.

I have my cake but choose not to eat it as I need to drop a few... I don't own or use any "clips" nor do I own any 30 round magazines. When did horseback enter the thread?

Now I like this, maybe we're on to something... How is using an optic more unsportsmanlike than sending a group of dogs out to go find one and hold him down for you until you get there? I assume this also means you would never use an optic to deer hunt as well. popcorn

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048619 01/22/18 06:23 PM
M
Monster_Raxx Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
What's my point? Don't take an anti hunting stance towards something that's completely legal. Hunters have enough trouble without people like you making stupid comments. Apparently you think it should be illegal to knife pigs

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: Monster_Raxx] #7048686 01/22/18 07:24 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What's my point? Don't take an anti hunting stance towards something that's completely legal. Hunters have enough trouble without people like you making stupid comments. Apparently you think it should be illegal to knife pigs

Now you're hurting my feelings calling my comments stupid. You need to take your anti-hunting tin foil hat off... please copy the post where I said it should be illegal?

M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7048753 01/22/18 08:30 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
popcorn

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7049342 01/23/18 03:26 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I wish I had 2 minutes of my life back, that video was a bit overly dramatic.

How many property lines were crossed, without consent, in the video?

If dogging hogs is SO effective, why did y'all just get 1 hog? That is the dumbest comment I've seen on THF in awhile (& that's quite an accomplishment). Good hunters with rifles & gear can take out dozens of hogs, without a buncha dogs holding them down or crossing several neighbors ranches.

Next video, how about narration by Morgan Freeman & The Ride of the Valkryries for background music.

Re: My first Hog Sticking! [Re: TXGH] #7049359 01/23/18 03:43 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Does it really take like 7 guys to run a couple dogs or did all those dudes just want to be on video LOL?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide