Forums46
Topics543,686
Posts9,801,738
Members87,498
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: gusick] #7019871 01/01/18 05:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: gusick
Replacing inland grizzlies with Kodiaks is an interesting idea. It's not necessary because inland grizzlies aren't extinct and they already occupy most of their remaining habitat. The reason I think it's relevant is because a similar idea has been proposed before. A few years ago, several groups lobbied for introducing grizzlies from the GYE into some of the remaining habitat of the extinct Mexican grizzly bear range in the Southwest.

If it were not for locals shooting all of them onsite, I think it would work. The Gila/Mogollon complex hasn't changed much in the last 70 since grizzlies lived there. I think it would still support a few grizzlies, I don't think it ever supported a high density of grizzlies.

The Mexican grizzlies were smaller and more adapted to dry climates than the GYE grizzlies. That was a point that was emphasized by opponents of the reintroduction. That is true but the same can be said of the elk in the area. That region was Merriam's elk territory until the 20th century. Merriam's elk were extinct in the early 20th century and Rocky Mountain elk from Yellowstone were reintroduced and they have thrived every since.

One of the reason I used that as an example was it been proposed before like you said, and way to many holes and ecological issues. The as far Rocky and Merriam or even Rocky/tule and Roise/Rocky populations essentially had over lapping historical ranges but even today majority of habitat the RM, Tule and Rosie inhabitant is minute compared to what it would of been.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: HWY_MAN] #7019877 01/01/18 05:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yes. And only the post-1860 events in the final paragraph that vastly expanded the slaughter led to their virtual disappearance.

Of course! Obviously the first few million had nothing to do with it.

Actually, it didnt. Just like the few million whitetails we kill every year in the U.S. Heck, 700,000 a year in TX alone. Dont see them almost gone, do you?

What took them down to near-extinction (which is the topic of the OP) were post-1860 events. Period. End of story.

Ask yourself this: if none had been killed after 1860, would they have almost gone extinct within 2 decades or so?
A. No.

The problem with these threads is folks go off-topic so easily. The topic is who caused them to almost go extinct? The answer is: post Civil War slaughter of them by white men. Thats it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019883 01/01/18 05:29 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
The whiteman didnt single handly go out and kill all the buffalos as it has been stated on here, it was a joint effort.

That was well on it's way before the white man got involved, he just had better weapons. The Paleo Indians of the America's didn't disappear they're just distant relatives of today's tribes yet many of the species they hunted are long gone. Natives hunted for results and what ever got the best results seemed to be the method of choice. Were I to run 25 hunter across my place in a drive with hunters on the other end I could probably clean my place of deer in short order. Driving animals is a very efficient way of putting large amounts of meat on the table with little effort. When you consider the size of the tribes and the resources needed to keep them alive, it's easy to imagine more efficient methods of collection. As suggested in the link. Killing more than you could actually eat was probably a common reality. No refrigerators or food banks back then, take what you could consume and carry and leave the rest.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: HWY_MAN] #7019888 01/01/18 05:32 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Quote:
The whiteman didnt single handly go out and kill all the buffalos as it has been stated on here, it was a joint effort.

That was well on it's way before the white man got involved, he just had better weapons. The Paleo Indians of the America's didn't disappear they're just distant relatives of today's tribes yet many of the species they hunted are long gone. Natives hunted for results and what ever got the best results seemed to be the method of choice. Were I to run 25 hunter across my place in a drive with hunters on the other end I could probably clean my place of deer in short order. Driving animals is a very efficient way of putting large amounts of meat on the table with little effort. When you consider the size of the tribes and the resources needed to keep them alive, it's easy to imagine more efficient methods of collection. As suggested in the link. Killing more than you could actually eat was probably a common reality. No refrigerators or food banks back then, take what you could consume and carry and leave the rest.

The question is not Did Indians kill a bunch of buffalo?
The question is: What caused them to almost go extinct?

Geez Louise.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019892 01/01/18 05:35 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
The problem with these threads is folks go off-topic so easily. The topic is who caused them to almost go extinct? The answer is: post Civil War slaughter of them by white men. Thats it.

You saying that's it doesn't make it the last word, it just means you've convinced yourself it is. Kinda like saying we have two cows, you eat the first one and I eat the second then you claim I'm the reason we're out of cow. Yep your hands are clean in your mind.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019896 01/01/18 05:37 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
The question is: What caused them to almost go extinct?

Humans! What I've been saying the whole time.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019902 01/01/18 05:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm almost certain it was CWD..

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: HWY_MAN] #7019906 01/01/18 05:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Quote:

You saying that's it doesn't make it the last word, it just means you've convinced yourself it is. Kinda like saying we have two cows, you eat the first one and I eat the second then you claim I'm the reason we're out of cow. Yep your hands are clean in your mind.

Facts are facts. No matter who presents them.
Your own post above answers the question on the table. You answer none of my questions, refute nothing I say on the subject.

Like BOBO, you are simply off on a tangent. At least I can follow your tangent. smile

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019923 01/01/18 05:49 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
determined
Online Content
determined
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

As a matter of fact the reintroduction has helped balance the ecosystem!

Please share with all where you come up with a Hybrid that is 30% bigger??

There's so much controversy from all sides about that subject that it's impossible to sort out any facts. Everyone can cite some study backing up their claims.

Its not impossible to sort out facts from speculation.

Manifest Destiny/westward expansion of white America almost wiped out the American Bison = Fact.
The final blows that wiped out tens of millions of them took place over a short 20 year period = Fact.

That Indians would have eventually wiped them out anyway because they had horses (introduced by outsiders and in widespread use for two centuries before the bisons extirpation) = Useless, unsupported and almost certainly wrong. Pure speculation-the opposite of fact.

Without white men there would have been no guns, no railroads, no commercial markets, none of the huge upheavals/changes brought by European influx.

Talk about romanticizing to assuage guilt, deny reality, change the subject, whatever - thats the very definition of it.

I was referring to the notorious wolf saga in the USA. (Which is really a whole other thread.)

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019932 01/01/18 05:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I was just answering BOBO and trying to bring it back to the topic at hand.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019946 01/01/18 06:07 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Bison, red wolf, Mexican wolf, passenger pigeon, elk, pronghorn, deer, mountain sheep, wolves, grizzlies, mountain goat - in the Lower 48 these were extirpated, almost all brought to the brink of disappearance or, at the very least, greatly reduced in population by the turn of the 20th century or not long thereafter.

This was not done by Native Americans. No one even seriously argues the point.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Stub] #7019994 01/01/18 06:30 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

I didnt say hybrid I said the Canadian wolves used to populate Yellowstone where 30% larger, then what was once Native. We had three options Minnesota wolves or regrow Mexican greys or use wolves out of Canada. Jasper NP wolves where used,

Minnesota Wolves where closet in size, but apparently they didnt know how to kill elk.

In the end to get ES and introduction approval they concluded that the Jasper wolves where same sub species and used Bergmann's rule to get it pushed through even though the Minnesota wolves where closer size Etc.

The prey/predator balance is a joke. Yellowstone is a terrible example of utopia. Wolves numbers are down in the park as they moved out to chase more elk, and bison numbers are closely getting to beyond carrying capacity. Park officials have to cull between 600 to 900 bison. Prey/predator balance...

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020013 01/01/18 06:38 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
determined
Online Content
determined
In summary:

People really can screw up nature.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7020034 01/01/18 06:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Bison, red wolf, Mexican wolf, passenger pigeon, elk, pronghorn, deer, mountain sheep, wolves, grizzlies, mountain goat - in the Lower 48 these were extirpated, almost all brought to the brink of disappearance or, at the very least, greatly reduced in population by the turn of the 20th century or not long thereafter.

No body has but many have stated they sure helped.

By 1880 Indians had assimilated into United States Of America Culture with many assimilating well before that.

Montana had a huntable population of Grizzlies the day they where placed on ESA protection in the 90s.

last grizzly in CO was 1979 killed 10 miles from my old cabin...... southern Ute killed them off thier reservation well before that.

I can still remember seeing Mexican Wolves at Ghost ranch in NM in the 80s, ironically Im headed as I type to compete against thier descendants. Ironically not one reintroduced Mexican Wolf came from Reservation Land.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7020040 01/01/18 06:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
In summary:

Yes, and it will get worse. 250 million and expanding.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7020048 01/01/18 07:01 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In summary:

Yes, and it will get worse. 250 million and expanding.

But it's so darn fun makin' 'em!

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7020152 01/01/18 08:33 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

I didnt say hybrid I said the Canadian wolves used to populate Yellowstone where 30% larger, then what was once Native. We had three options Minnesota wolves or regrow Mexican greys or use wolves out of Canada. Jasper NP wolves where used,

Minnesota Wolves where closet in size, but apparently they didnt know how to kill elk.

In the end to get ES and introduction approval they concluded that the Jasper wolves where same sub species and used Bergmann's rule to get it pushed through even though the Minnesota wolves where closer size Etc.

The prey/predator balance is a joke. Yellowstone is a terrible example of utopia. Wolves numbers are down in the park as they moved out to chase more elk, and bison numbers are closely getting to beyond carrying capacity. Park officials have to cull between 600 to 900 bison. Prey/predator balance...

BoBo you did say sub species Not Hybrid my bad, but you did not specify Canadian which is no biggy. This is really just a question, where do you get your information that the Canadian Gray wolf is a different sub species than the Gray wolf which roamed Yellowstone?

Last edited by Stub; 01/01/18 08:47 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020157 01/01/18 08:35 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
A sub species is not a hybrid, and Im pretty sure he was calling Nog dense, not you, Stub.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Sneaky] #7020166 01/01/18 08:43 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
A sub species is not a hybrid, and Im pretty sure he was calling Nog dense, not you, Stub.

Thanks Sneaky, like I said in the other comment, I have my moments laugh
And I corrected myself on that statement, he mentioned Hydatid Disease and Hybrid jumped into my out of wack processor hammer

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020203 01/01/18 09:08 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Believe me, I get it. We all do it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7020435 01/01/18 11:23 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I havent researched this much because I too was taught white man killed them all.

While I believe white man is responsible, I dont not believe it was intentional or that they were wiped out with firearms.

Last January I hunted with a friend in Wyoming. His dad is a retired Sargeant Major and big history buff. Ge has researched this for years.

Some of his points was the mat doesnt add up. He says the estimated buffalo killed doesnt come close to population estimates.

He also points out that the buffalo disappearnce across country coincided with cattle drives through those areas.

He mentions huge boneyards that have been searched, and no evidence of animals being shot.

From his research he believes it was the spread of tick fever from the cattle.

Was some pretty interesting discussions. Not.sure if he is 100% accurate, but he had references with numbers that bavked his claims.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Stub] #7020704 01/02/18 01:32 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

And I corrected myself on that statement, he mentioned Hydatid Disease and Hybrid jumped into my out of wack processor hammer

Stub= good people
NP= dense

Final pack run through before I hit trail head. You men be good. up

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: sprigsss] #7020712 01/02/18 01:35 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I havent researched this much because I too was taught white man killed them all.

While I believe white man is responsible, I dont not believe it was intentional or that they were wiped out with firearms.

Last January I hunted with a friend in Wyoming. His dad is a retired Sargeant Major and big history buff. Ge has researched this for years.

Some of his points was the mat doesnt add up. He says the estimated buffalo killed doesnt come close to population estimates.

He also points out that the buffalo disappearnce across country coincided with cattle drives through those areas.

He mentions huge boneyards that have been searched, and no evidence of animals being shot.

From his research he believes it was the spread of tick fever from the cattle.

Was some pretty interesting discussions. Not.sure if he is 100% accurate, but he had references with numbers that bavked his claims.

Highly probable screw worms/Whitetails, Pneumonia/Sheep, Etc

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7020760 01/02/18 01:56 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

No body has but many have stated they sure helped.

By 1880 Indians had assimilated into United States Of America Culture with many assimilating well before that.

Montana had a huntable population of Grizzlies the day they where placed on ESA protection in the 90s.

last grizzly in CO was 1979 killed 10 miles from my old cabin...... southern Ute killed them off thier reservation well before that.

I can still remember seeing Mexican Wolves at Ghost ranch in NM in the 80s, ironically Im headed as I type to compete against thier descendants. Ironically not one reintroduced Mexican Wolf came from Reservation Land.

By the 1880s most of the Indians were DEAD - and the few left were almost all on reservations. But I guess you call that assimilated. SMDH...

In any event, if they were dead or assimilated by 1880 or well before, please explain how they played any significant role in the near extirpation of those species after that time?

WTH does stuff that happened from 1979-1990s have to do with the price of beans?

But, yeah, Im the dense one here. rolleyes

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7020762 01/02/18 01:58 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Stub= good people
NP= dense

Final pack run through before I hit trail head. You men be good. up

Like him or not, NG is not dense.

Him and Stub are both good dudes.

I dont expect the two of you to ever get along, but I do believe you are both decent, sharp fellas with the best interests of hunting in mind.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide