Texas Hunting Forum

Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison

Posted By: txtrophy85

Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 02:52 AM

so i'm currently on a mission to separate fact from "fake fact" as I believe more and more the history we have been fed from gradeschool on is severely tainted with inaccuracies and downright lies to push an agenda. reading a lot about the native americans and their interactions with pioneers and settlers. The history I'm finding often is in severe contradiction with what is known to be common knowledge and accepted as fact.

One thing I'm researching is the story of the buffalo ( I know its actually a bison but we are going to call it buffalo from here on out, its my thread and i'll say what I want)

There were estimates between 30 to 60 million buffalo roaming the plains and foothills when the white man arrived in the west. its accepted as fact that the buffalo were slaughtered for their hides and to eliminate a food source for the Indians until there were only 300 buffalo remaining, mostly in Yellowstone.

If you look at the numbers you will see how ridiculous this is. I doubt seriously there were 60 million bullets in existence in the 1880's, let alone all wasted on buffalo.

Most estimates say that people killed 10 million buffalo during the huge slaughter, so even if there were only 20 million buffalo and we killed 1/2 of them, that still leaves 10 million breeding buffalo that in theory would add 3-5 million new buffalo each year. you cannot argue the fact that hide hunters killed a extreme number of buffalo with rifles but what happened to the rest of the buffalo and what actually did them in?

Discussion topic: Do you believe that hunters actually killed all but 300 of the est. 20-60 million buffalo or do you think other things, like bovine tuberculosis, did them in moreso than hunters ever could? Or, could it be that estimations were incorrect ( maybe only 5 million exist, we know 1880's animal census was nowhere near as accurate as it is today) and we did actually kill them off with gunpowder and lead

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 03:09 AM

I've read other articles that point out that it had to be a massive disease that actually wiped out the buffalo.

But that doesn't fit our self-loathing, white Christian males raped and destroyed the country, agenda. I'm not saying that the hunters had a benign impact, but the numbers, even if grossly over estimated, don't add up.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I've read other articles that point out that it had to be a massive disease that actually wiped out the buffalo.

But that doesn't fit our self-loathing, white Christian males raped and destroyed the country, agenda. I'm not saying that the hunters had a benign impact, but the numbers, even if grossly over estimated, don't add up.

Plausible.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 03:28 AM

Topic that never crossed my mind
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 03:37 AM

The extirpation of the bison in the 15 year period following the civil war is well documented.

1)You don’t have to kill them all;
2)You don’t have to kill them all with bullets and rifles.

In many species, once populations get thin enough/separated enough, they go down and, finally, away. The very survival of the bison in such numbers owed its very existence to the numbers themselves and the symbiotic relationship the great herds and their migration had with the Great Plains and the Southwest Plains.

Same thing happened with just about every other large or otherwise useful mammal (and many birds and entire fisheries) in the U.S. before protections were put in place. We almost lost them all. We did lose a few.

You can read and learn about the details of all this - it is more complex than can be easily explained or otherwise speculated about in a forum thread.

But, yes, it happened. And, yes, we did it. That’s not “white guilt” or any other speculative mess talking. It’s just historical fact. Other cultures have done the same across the globe with many other animal populations (black, yellow, brown).
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:02 AM

No, of course not. Hunters did not decimate the population that bad. But then again, hunters didn't have to before pushing the population to near extinction. The Buffalo is relatively slow to reproduce. Once the population is no longer able to reproduce at a rate greater than its mortality, extinction is inevitable unless the pressure to the population is removed. Think about it. Every cow that was slaughtered represented a minimum of three generations. You could not select a North American mammal more susceptible to extinction by massive predation than the Buffalo; huge congregations with predictable migrations.

Preceding the decimation of the Buffalo (and not by much) was the plight of the Passenger Pigeon. Could avarian epidemic have wiped out the Pigeon, possibly. But what a coincidence. Both species congregated in massive numbers with predictable migrations exploited by hunters. Interesting topic to say the least.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:18 AM

Just about every large edible mammal in the lower 48 in addition to many edible/commercial bird and fish species were in dire straits at the turn of the 20th century.

There’s no coincidence in that fact.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:21 AM

The great auk.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:22 AM

I've often wondered about this myself. I know white hunters killed an awful lot of buffalo, but the sheer numbers are hard to wrap my head around. I've also read over the years that the native Americans killed many more buffalo than we were led to believe many years ago. The popular narrative was always that the native Americans only killed enough to satisfy their immediate needs, but many sources since then challenge that theory and claim they actually killed a lot of buffalo that were wasted. I do believe the white buffalo hunters at least heavily contributed to the buffalo's demise, but I'm not so sure they had the impact I thought they did when I was a kid.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:25 AM

Probably a little of everything. Hunting, disease, bad population estimate.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:26 AM

There was no refrigeration, a lot of fresh meat went to waste, they did not set up camo and make a ton of dried jerky. There was also a lot of hide hunting, most of that meat was wasted.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:35 AM

Here us a good read about Texas and the buffalo. https://allaboutbison.com/bison-in-history/texas-history/

It is long, but a lot of good information is in the link.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
No, of course not. Hunters did not decimate the population that bad. But then again, hunters didn't have to before pushing the population to near extinction. The Buffalo is relatively slow to reproduce. Once the population is no longer able to reproduce at a rate greater than its mortality, extinction is inevitable unless the pressure to the population is removed. Think about it. Every cow that was slaughtered represented a minimum of three generations. You could not select a North American mammal more susceptible to extinction by massive predation than the Buffalo; huge congregations with predictable migrations.

Preceding the decimation of the Buffalo (and not by much) was the plight of the Passenger Pigeon. Could avarian epidemic have wiped out the Pigeon, possibly. But what a coincidence. Both species congregated in massive numbers with predictable migrations exploited by hunters. Interesting topic to say the least.

Bison are not slow to reproduce. In normal range conditions they have a calf every year. The original post stated that there weren't 60 million bullets. They made their bullets in the field.

Indian's killed many more bison than they could use by running them over bluffs. I live on "Boneyard Draw". One of the thousands of bison jumps. I raise bison so I know their reproductive capabilities.

It might not be comfortable to believe, but bison hunters who only used the tongues and hides did in fact kill the majority of bison in north America. Regardless of what that number was.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 04:59 AM

The arc of historical and scientific research has been bending towards more factual and detailed accuracy over the last century.

If you desire to separate “fact” from “fake fact”, the way to do that is to educate oneself on whatever the subject at hand is - by immersing oneself in the writings of those respected in the fields that touch on the questions. In this case, men like Grinnell, Leopold, Roosevelt, and any number of naturalists, historians, etc. who have written on the subject. They are all in general accord on the immense impacts of commercial hunting, habitat loss, competition/disease from domestic animals, and the negative consequences of industrialization on native wildlife from, say, 1870 through the mid-20th century.

The way not to do that is to assume “agendas” behind every curtain, assign your own “facts” or accept others’ “facts” with agendas of their own (promoting a certain worldview perhaps) , and then speculate about what happened without factual basis to do so.

Assuming “agendas” behinds every curtain is, in and of itself, an “agenda”. And it often leads to uneducated, unsupported, and un-factual speculative conclusions. In fact, as we may find out, this may be the most harmful “agenda” of all - because it allows folks to disbelieve whatever they want to and then believe whatever they want to - facts be d*mned.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Assuming “agendas” behinds every curtain is, in and of itself, an “agenda”. And it often leads to uneducated, unsupported, and un-factual speculative conclusions. In fact, as we may find out, this may be the most harmful “agenda” of all - because it allows folks to disbelieve whatever they want to and then believe whatever they want to - facts be d*mned.

Agreed. But we cannot deny that certain facts have been "left out" when historical events were documented.

Point in fact, its commonly touted that Indians only took what they could use and never wasted anything, everything was taken when an animal was killed. This has been drilled into the minds of every kid when studying American history.

Well if you do some research, you will find that Indians killed great numbers of buffalo (as the rancher had mentioned, sometimes by running them off cliffs) and did not utilize all of the meat. A lot of Indians needed the skins for tipi's, clothing, etc. and a lot of buffalo were killed by Indians for their hide and tongues and the rest left on the prairie. not that there is anything wrong with that, but that is a story that is never told, thus facts were "left out" when it pertains to history.

My questions is not whether the hunter killed off all the buffalo....no denying that they killed millions. but did they really do it all single handedly or did disease, range conditions, etc. play as great a role in reducing their numbers as bullets did?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 06:00 PM

Quote:
The Cincinnati Enquirer
Cincinnati, Ohio
Nov 23, 1878
THE DOOM OF THE BUFFALO
Wiping out the Shaggy Monsters that Roam on the Plains – The Butchery in Northern Texas – An Englishman’s Experience – Killing the Bison For His Hide – The Life of a Professional Buffalo Hunter – Three Seasons on the Plains – How the Hides are Cured – Pickling the Tongues – Fearful Fate of a Horse Thief.
[New York Sun.]
Forty years ago the trappers of the Western plains sold the pelts of beavers, otters and _____ and killed the bison only for food. Myriads of these shaggy monsters roamed the prairies. Washington Irving, in his “Tour on the Prairies,” sought a herd boundless and undulating as an ocean, all surging northward. They were two days and nights in crossing the Smokey Hill River. There was then a limited market for buffalo hides, and the herds were hunted by the Indians only. They dried the meat for winter use, and use the skins for tepees and blankets. Uncounted millions of the animals wintered in the parks of the Rocky Mountains and on the fertile plains of northern Texas. The cows calved in April and by the 1st of May the shaggy _____ were headed for the Missouri. They advanced northward with the season, browsing upon the sprouting, juicy grasses. They crossed the Missouri River and ran away up into British America. With the approach of winter they swept back into the sunny parts of the Rocky Mountains and spread themselves over the plains of Texas.
The discovery of gold in California (1848) opened a pathway to the Pacific, and this pathway opened a permanent market for buffalo hides. The settlement and rapid development of Kansas and Nebraska forced the herds back toward the mountains. Then gold was found near Pikes Peak (1859), and a _______ of emigration poured into Colorado. Beaver, otter and furred animals began to disappear, and the brawny Kansas buffalo hunters took the place of the half bred Canadian trapper. Millions were killed for their hides alone. The vast herds began to scatter. 10 years later the laying of the Pacific Railroad’s force them from the line of the Platte and Arkansas into northern Texas on the south, and Wyoming and Dakota on the north. The professional hunters followed and for years reap a rich harvest. But the rush of gold seekers to the Black Hills in the settlements along the line of the Northwestern Pacific Road are driving the northern columns into British America, and the development of northern Texas is exterminating the southern columns. Experienced hunters predict that within eight years not a buffalo will be left in Texas.
BROWNING’S CONTRACT
Mr. James Graham, and English man who spent four years hunting them on the plains of Texas, graphically details his experience. He came to America when a boy, determined to work his way out to the plains and become, if possible, the chief of a tribe of Indians. His experience with the savages near Fort Still changed this intention, and he went down into Texas and began to teach school. “In October, 1873,” he says, “I hunted myself in Jacksboro, Jack County, northern Texas. It is near Fort Richardson. I was out of employment, and living from hand to mouth. One day a party of Cowboys road in from the other side of the Brazos , and said buffalo were coming in from the north so sick that they were eating up the range. The country was black with them, and the boys were compelled to drive in the cattle. This news was confirmed by a herder named Browning, who drove through town with 800 cattle, cursing and swearing, and roaring at his luck generally. There were no professional buffalo hunters in the country, although the buffalo were so thick that Browning allowed he could kill from fifty to seventy-five a day. He made a contract with one McKibben, a merchant, to deliver 1000 hides within three months at $2 a piece, the value to be taken out in trade. Browning swore that he would kill them all within fifty miles of Jacksboro. He turned his cattle hands out on horseback, and sent out his wagons. There was not an expert among them. They sailed into the herd head first, using no judgment, and in less than three days had scared the buffalo so that they left the range. The net result was twenty or thirty hides. Browning returned to Jacksboro and threw up his contract in disgust. He drove his cattle out on the abandoned range and resumed the life of a herder.
One Shaw owned two ox teams that had been employed in grading the railroad from Dallas to Fort Worth. Work had given out and the teams were idle. Two men, Hawes and Frantz, also owned yolks of oxen that were eating off their heads. They clubbed in with Shaw, and arranged for a buffalo hunt. I had had considerable experience on the plains, and was employed by Shaw as a killer. Hawes in Frantz killed for themselves. Two men, named Putter and Davis also joined us. A band of Comanches were raiding the frontier, and we combined for natural protection. Three months provisions, a keg of whiskey and several hundred rounds of ammunition were thrown into the wagons. Armed with needle guns, we left Jacksboro on a bright sunny morning, and traveled due West. The country was well wooded until we reached Fort Belknap, a deserted military post. We kept a sharp lookout for the Comanches; for, just before we left Jacksboro, a man was killed and scalped across the creek from town, not 300 yards from Fort Richardson.
“After leaving the timber, we camped in an open country, fifteen miles from Fort Belknap and two miles from the Rio Brazos. That evening an old buffalo bull straggled into camp. The trouble was not in killing, but in eating him. He was so old that is hide was worthless. His flesh was as tough as shoe leather. The old fellow had been driven from the herd by the younger bulls, and was forging on his own hook. Wolves were on his track, and would soon have run him down.
EAGLE SPRING
“About the middle of the second day we encamped on the Millers Creek, a branch of the Rio Brazos. The grazing was good. There were no ranches within thirty miles. We saw small bunches of buffalo among the low hills. It was a good sign. Herds of deer, flocks of turkeys, and schools of fish promised and ample variety of food. Potter, Davis and myself rode out six miles toward the Brozos, and found immense herds of buffalo. We stopped at Eagle Spring, the other side of the River. This spring gushes from the riverbank, making a small gully. It is nearly level with the River. At this time the river was very low. Half the sand bars were above water. The spring got its name from a great nest built in the top of a cottonwood tree by a colony of Eagles. These birds began to tear up the carcasses of deer and buffalo before we could skin them. I finally loaded a carcass with strychnine and poisoned the whole colony.
“The water of the Brazos at this point,” said Graham, “was brackish and unpalatable. It was made so by the junction of the Salt Fork of the river, a few miles above. No matter how dry the season, the spring never failed. The banks of the river near it were trodden down, and we could see that herds of buffalo were drinking there every night. We rode out on the divide between the Wichita and the Brazos and found a thick net of buffalo paths leading toward the spring. We made a permanent camp, pitching our tent on the river sands to the left of the gully, so close that we could hear the buffalo come in at night, but not so close as to disturb them. Then we cleaned out the spring. The water bubbled up with redoubled force, and dotted the sand of the River with fresh pools. Before we found the spring we had killed from fifteen to twenty buffalo. Word was sent back to Hawes, and his Skinners were quickly at work. We tried to induce him to come over to our camp, but he allowed that rolling stones gathered no moss, and he thought the buffalo were thick enough on Millers Creek to pay him.
“We spent the first day in making pegs for stretching hides, putting up the tent, and gathering buffalo chips and driftwood for fire. The banks of the river were fringed with bushes, but aside from the lone cottonwood, there was no standing timber. We dug a fireplace in the bank, and prepared for business. Are oxen were bellied and hobbled, and turned loose on the nutritious grasses of the river bottoms. We ate broiled venison for supper. After pipes and coffee we turned in. An hour after word I heard a dashing and a splashing in the spring. A band of buffalo was pouring over the bank. I could hear their low murmur of satisfaction as they sucked up the freshwater. The bank was crumbling beneath their feet and falling to the sand. As we were camped to the leeward, the herd did not wind us. It was a cloudy night. I got up in my shirt tail, took my gun, and ran along the edge of the bank toward the spring. Dark masses of the animals were clustered on the white sands below me, drinking from the little pools of fresh water. They saw me, and scattered. Most of them scrambled up the path leading to the top of the bank, and others darted over the sands. As it was too dark to shoot with any degree of certainty. I returned to camp.
“The next morning, bright and early, we were at work. We found a herd feeding on the prairie within two miles of camp. I crawled on my hands and knees to leave word and began to pick them off. I shot several under the fore-shoulder, giving the ball a slight range forward. This is really the only infallibly vital spot. Greenhorns may riddle an old bull with bullets, and he will stand and shake his head as though bumblebees were buzzing around his ears, and never drop; but one bullet planted by a professional is worth more than a score sent from the gun of an amateur. Well, before noon we had killed twenty-seven . In the afternoon we skinned these and hauled the green hides to camp.
AMBUSHING THE HERDS
“Eagle Spring was our headquarters nearly two months. The country was ridged with sand hills covered with coarse grass affording a fair cover while crawling on the herds. Large bunches of the animals were ambushed. We hid ourselves under the banks of the river, and shot them down as they came for water. This was done so often that they became suspicious. They approached the bank, headed by an old bull, with the herd strung out behind him in Indian file. On reaching the edge of the bank, the bull looked carefully up and down the river to see if the coast was clear. If satisfied, he turned back to the file leaders, indicating that it was all right, and dashed over the bank. The file followed without hesitation. If, however, the bull’s suspicions were aroused, he gazed at the suspicious objects as though shouting his eyesight. Then he turned his head toward the herd, as though disliking the outlook. Satisfied, after another reconnaissance, that there were good grounds for alarm, he viciously whisked his tail. The herd understood the signal. There was an instant stampede. They scattered fan-like, stopping at a distance of two to three hundred yards. There they turned about, apparently to see if there was any cause for running at all, but invariably continued their retreat until miles away from the supposed danger.
“One day, “ continued Graham,” I was lying under the bank of the river when a herd of buffalo approached. Contrary to all precedent, they were led by frisky young calves, who broke over the bank without stopping to reconnoiter. Had I retained my original position; the whole bunch would have trampled over me. I lay in the long grass and saw what was coming. As I got to my feet this stream divided and swept to the right and left. Through the dust I saw an old cows head within 3 feet, and let her have it under the fore shoulder. The impetus with which she was moving was so great that she pitched dead upon the sands at the brink of the river, three rods away. A calf was the next victim. It screwed it’s tail as the bullet struck it and followed the cow to grass. I next blazed away at the ”spike” a three-year-old bull. The first shot was ineffectual. He ran up the River about 100 yards. I kept at his heels and brought him down with the second bullet. By this time the bunch was much scattered. Many animals crossed the river, and others ran down the stream and regained the bluffs below. It was after dark when the slain buffalo were skinned and the green pelts were staked to the ground.
AND INDIAN RAID
“At Eagle Springs, “ Graham said, “we took 475 hides. The killings, skinning, stretching and packing took up all our time. After the hides were sunned they were sometimes wet by rains. This gave us much trouble as to preserve them we were forced to overhaul and re-dry them. After December 20th Shaw, Welsh, Frantz and Potter loaded the wagons with dried hides and started for old Fort Belknap. The Fort was abandoned, but they meant to pile the skins in a ruined guardhouse, where was thought they would be safe and undercover. Davis and myself were left in camp with a horse and two mules.
“On the evening of the 23rd I killed a deer, taking the hide and hindquarters. The next day I saw the tracks of a wildcat around the carcass. I could see that he had enjoyed his meal. Than seen that he might return on the following evening I took cover and lay for him. Toward dusk I saw the cat snaking along the bank of the river, but, unfortunately, he discovered me at the same time and did not come within gunshot. On my return to camp I was spotted by four Indians, who were hidden by the low sand hills. At all events that night the horse and mules were unhobbled and stolen. The sands were covered with moccasin tracks. We trace them up and found where the Indians had lain behind the sand hills and watched my wildcat venture. Our tent open toward the river, and a wagon covered the entrance. This was fortunate, for had the situation been different the savages might have shot us while we lay in our blankets. We followed their trail to the Wichita, many miles away, but never recovered the stock.
THREE INFURIATED BULL’S
“A funny incident occurred a few days before the mules were stolen. I had been out among the sand hills, and had planted seven bullets in an old bull. He was a tough old fellow, but was finally brought to his knees. I thought he would surely die, and wasted no more ammunition. On returning to camp I told Davis where he lay, and he and Welsh said that they would take his hide early in the morning. That night the wolves scented the old fellow’s blood, and made an assault on him. He fought like a tiger, and would have gone under had not two other bulls come to the rescue. All night long they kept the wolves at bay. In the morning Welsh and Davis went out to look for the wounded bull. I was going up the River, but pointed near where he lay, and told them they would find him in a little hollow near the sand hills. Welsh took his needle gun and went on foot, and Davis followed, mounted on a mule, taking a swingle, or whiffletree, to drag the green hide back to camp. On nearing the hollow Welsh saw the three buffalo lying down, and said to Davis: “why, he’s wounded three instead of one, and left us to finish them.” Davis stood up in his saddle, looked at them. “I don’t think he’s hurt any of them.” he said. “Johnny, just try ‘em.’ Welsh crept toward the trio. Two of the Bulls got to their feet, and stretched themselves. They gazed at him in astonishment, and began to paw the ground and shake their heads. Welsh dropped on one knee and blazed away. He probably miss them, for infuriated by the assaults of the wolves, they raised their tails, lowered their heads, and with bloodshot eyes charged upon him. He saw them coming in after a sharp raise went into a buffalo wallow like a prairie dog. The bull then went for Davis. He had scented danger, and headed the mule towards camp. The beast however, was fat and lazy, and did not seem to take in this situation. Davis pounded him with the whiffletree until the blows resounded over the prairie, but could get no head of steam. “Shoot at ‘em, Johnny !’ he shouted. “Shoot at ‘em, but Johnny lay in the wallow, shaking with merciment, and could not shoot. Seen that there was a slim chance for reaching camp, Davis headed his mule for a mesquite tree, fancy and he could find a shelter among its thorns. The slow lope of the mule brought the maddened bulls nearer. Davis finally jumped from the saddle and ran for the tree. He went up the trunk like a squirrel, and had barely perched himself on a top limb before the bulls dashed underneath in pursuit of the mule. Like Davis, the mule took good care of himself, and reached camp and safety.”
A POISONING MATCH
A few days afterward the party returned from Fort Belknap. They were chagrined at the loss of the mules. Only two horses were left. Shaw in Davis went back to Millers Creek and camped with Hawes. Potter, Welsh, Frantz and Graham went across to the big Wichita poisoning wolves, and met with moderate success. The country was seamed with canons and dotted with cedars. Winter was at hand and the weather was becoming cold. The most interesting incident was a poisoning match between Frantz and Graham. One day each killed the buffalo. A dispute arose concerning their merits as poisoners. Frantz held that if the strychnine was placed in a certain part of the carcass it would be more effectual. Graham disagreed with him. Each agreed to Dr. a carcass in his own way, and a pile of Wolf skins was staked on the result. Graham spread a small bottle of the poison upon those parts of the carcass first eaten by wolves, and Frantz carried out his peculiar theory. Both traps were well faded. In the morning the bodies of nine gray wolves laid near Gramps trap, and thirteen were found by Frantz, and he took the pile of pelts.
On their return to the Brazos they found an immense herd of, buffalo on the divide between that river and the Wichita. To use the words of one of the party, “it seemed as though all the buffalo on the plains had emigrated to Texas.” The paths were innumerable. Every green thing had been devoured, and that there was no grazing for their oxen. They were forced to return to Millers Creek, where they joined Shaw and Davis. Hawes had taken over 300 hides, and gone into camp 5 miles further up the creek. The country was black with bison. The men hunted three weeks longer and then flour ran short and the weather became bad. They returned to Jacksboro, after nearly 4 months absence. Over 1200 buffalo, thirty-eight deer, fifty-two wolves and twenty-seven coyotes had been killed and skinned, and one wild horse captured.
THE MARKET FOR BUFFALO MEAT
Graham says that he sold 100 buffalo hides at Sherman for $140. This was his first hunt. On the following where he went up into the Cedar Mountains, about sixty miles southwest of Fort Griffin, and “killed for meat.” The meat was cured and afterwards sold in Dallas. Only the hams are taken. The rest of the carcasses is left to the wolves and ravens. The hams, when cut up and thoroughly cured, will not average more than eighty pounds apiece. In two months Graham killed and salted down hundred 113 buffalo. He hunted the beast up to the winter of 1877. Long before that the brawny Missouri and Kansas professionals had swept down into the country with their “prairie shooters.” Graham says the slaughter was terrifle. Long, of Fort Griffin, killed 3000 in one winter, and big Jim White, of Kansas, 800 in a month. Jim is said to have killed thirty-one buffalo in thirty-two consecutive shots. All these beast were killed for their hides. The flesh, horns and hoofs were wasted. Thousands of tons of meat as good as beef rotted on the prairies while hundreds of persons were starving in Eastern cities. “Enough was wasted,” said Graham, “to have made the siege of Paris as long as the siege of Troy.”
THE HIDE HUNTER
Some of the buffalo hunters own many teams and pay their hunters by the month, or allow them a percentage of the profits. The killer commands the highest price, the Skinners and the camp followers ranging next in pay. The killer rides ahead on the pony, with rifle across the pommel of his saddle. His belt is filled with cartridges, which he allows no one to load but himself. The Skinners follow in a wagon. When the herd is sighted, the killer rides as near as possible, taking advantage of the wind in any inequalities of ground. After tying his pony to a mesquite bush, he drops upon his knees and begins to crawl upon the herd. Once within rifle shot, he lies facedown word, and places two rest-sticks , something like and X on the ground. Over the sticks he sights his game. After the first shot the herd generally run at least a hundred yards. Then they turned about and watch the struggles of the dying buffalo. If the killer keeps cover, the herd may come back and paw around the dead body, as cattle do when they smell blood. The killer always tries to shoot the animals likely to lead the herd away. This is what is termed “holding the herd.” It requires great experience. When the leaders fall, the herd, seeing their bodies on the ground, frequently lie down among them, and stay there until stampeded.
The killers work completed, he signals for the wagons to come up, and the Skinners draw their knives. Two ropes attached to the axles, trail behind the wagon. Each terminates in a loop. The loops are placed over a fore and hind leg, the team is started, and the dead animal turned on its back. It is held in this position by scotching the wagon. The Skinners roll up their sleeves and go to work. The hide is peeled from the belly by a man on each side. Each Skinner carries two knives, one for skinning and the other for ripping. The knives are frequently sharpened. A grindstone is usually carried in the wagon. After the hide is removed it is thrown into the wagon, and the Skinners move on from carcass to carcass, until the “whole stand,” as it is called, is skinned.
HOW THE HIDES ARE CURED
When taken to camp the pelts are laid in rows in a place known as “the hide yard.” They are spread out flesh side up, and holes are cut near the edges within acts or Tomahawk. If not pressed for time a knife may be used. One of the party that goes around with an arm full of pegs, and distributes them on the hides. He averages about 16 pegs to the hide. The skins are next stretched in the pegs driven into the ground. The hides remained there until they become as hard as flint. They are then taken up and sunned. After a day or two they are cramped or folded, flesh side in, like the leaves of a book. Next they are piled readily for market. Hides are taken in summer are sprinkled with poison to keep the bugs out of them. Thousands of hides are spoiled by the rains. Frequently the wolves get at them and tear them to pieces. Some hunters kill the animals all the year round and even slaughtering the cows with calf. Others condemned this practice, and will not associate with those who follow it. There are many professional terms. A ‘cripple” is a buffalo that has been wounded and is after word discovered and killed .A ‘spike” is a young bull. The best hides are tanned and reserved for robes. Others are made into leather. The coarser ones are turned into harness, being too porous for shoes.
THE MEAT HUNTERS
Those who hunt the bison for his meat are a class by themselves. A hole like a grave is dug in the ground and a hide placed there in with the fur toward the earth. The rim of the hide is staked to the edge of the grave, and makes a leather vat. The hams, are cut into three chunks and thrown into the vat. They are sprinkled with salt and seasoned with saltpeter. The vat is then covered within a stiff hide and the meat thus protected from the sun. Tongues are pickled in a similar way. After the meat is thoroughly soaked it is taken out of the vat and cut into smooth pieces. These pieces are strung on bear grass and hung in a rude smokehouse covered with hides. The meat can not be smoked too much. It cures according to the weather. Sometimes it is in the smokehouse two months before it is marketable. It finds a ready sale in the frontier towns, and is frequently sold as far South as New Orleans. It is very palatable.
“Half the fun in killing buffalo,” said Graham, “is in observing their curious actions. I have stuck up a hat and seen a whole herd gather around it, and stare at it for hours. If one animal gets bogged, a half-dozen others are pretty sure to fall into the trap. Anything will stampede them. The stupidity is most remarkable . As stupid as a buffalo” is a common expression among herders. The little calves are more suspicious than their parents. Bulls have shorter tales than cows. There’d tales are bad fly brushes, for they could not hit a fly in a week.”
When the fleshy side of the green hide is exposed to the sun, the skin becomes as hard as iron. Four years ago a party of Texas cow-boys caught a horse thief on the border of the Indian territory. As there was no tree handy on which to hang him, they sewed him up in a green buffalo hide and left it on the plains, under the burning sun. A year after word the hide was found. The skeleton rattled within it as to dried peas in a pod. It was cut open within acts, and the remains of the unfortunate for speed were identified by the clothes.
/
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 06:11 PM

Well lets start with the first part referencing 30 to 60 million Buffalo. That number has no validity at all, how could it?

They were shot for their hides, bones and anything else of value but I've yet to confirm they were shot to starve out the natives.

When numbers get high mother nature has a way of reducing them, disease being a major player.

The natives themselves killed huge numbers of buffalo and many more were lost do to wounding. A 35 lb Plains Bow is a fairly anemic weapons but the most common used by the native buffalo hunters. With a few thousand to feed a tribe had to have a continuous stream of meat coming in.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
They were shot for their hides, bones and anything else of value but I've yet to confirm they were shot to starve out the natives.

but that's the reason they were shot, to starve out the natives....at least that's what we learned in school.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 06:27 PM

They were also shot by the cattleman because the buffalo were eating the grasses their cattle needed.

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

but that's the reason they were shot, to starve out the natives....at least that's what we learned in school.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 07:33 PM

The native Americans had no role in the disappearance of the bison from 1865-1880. I’m not saying they were perfect stewards of them or saints or anything else. But they were not the reason for their demise.

The timing alone would tell anyone that. They were fine for tens of thousands of years with the natives and then -bam- they were gone in 15 years because of them?

Uhhhh, no.

IDK about today, but in my day there were certainly no “white guilt” issues in my textbooks. The Founders, Texas Revolutionaries, and Confederates were only about a half-step below Jesus.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 07:36 PM

There were localized situations where herds were shot to starve out the Indians (mostly right at the end with the tribes that had fled north), but it was not a wholesale practice or policy of the government or anyone else to do so.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 07:58 PM

In school we were taught it was a combination of things, mainly predation/slaughter by the Honkies grin

I wonder how many pure bred bison still exist?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

I wonder how many pure bed bison still exist?

Only a few herds.

So not very many at all

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 08:18 PM

In school we were taught it was a combination of things, mainly predation/slaughter by the Honkies grin

I wonder how many pure bed bison still exist?

Charles Goodnight had the foresight to preserve the last remaining bison from the Southwest herd. It is from that stock we have them today in some numbers. IDK the story of the Great Plains variety or the purity of their various strains.

Google says there are about 500,000 bison today. IDK if that number includes wild/semi-wild and domestic or not.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 08:51 PM

For the unpure lines, what were they crossed with?
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 09:04 PM

I recently learned that Europe had bison too and much of them were killed off as well. There is still a small herd in Romania or someplace like that. I went to a TXPWD seminar that talked about bison and the head ranger of the TX herd was there along with some other folks. Pretty interesting.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
For the unpure lines, what were they crossed with?

Domestic cattle
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 09:23 PM

Read American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. It addresses a lot of these questions and tells you where the research came from. Very informative. Dan Flores' American Serengeti is also very good. Flores was one of the first academics to suggest that native Americans slaughtered buffalo to buy rifles and other goods from white traders.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
Read American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. It addresses a lot of these questions and tells you where the research came from. Very informative. Dan Flores' American Serengeti is also very good. Flores was one of the first academics to suggest that native Americans slaughtered buffalo to buy rifles and other goods from white traders.

Both should be required reading in jr high. Pretty much sums up American Buffalo
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:00 PM

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Both should be required reading in jr high. Pretty much sums up American Buffalo

I'm gonna check it out
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:11 PM

popcorn Very interesting topic!!!

I am not too informed on the history of the American Bison. But consider this: maybe 10 million buffalo, half of those killed by westward expansion and Indians, the other half by cattle-born diseases.

1 million is a LOT of people, let alone ton-sized bovines. If there were 60 million buffalo, I dunno if the Great Plains--from TX/OK/NM to Dakotas--could truly keep them all healthy. Carrying capacity of each community/environment of each herd would force them to move around and compete and compete and compete and obviously they're being shot by bullets and arrows and getting sick from each other as well as cattle.

Just my somewhat uneducated guess. cheers

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:23 PM

The problem with history is it's just as biased as the person who writes it down, just as truthful and the same goes with those who pass it on.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:30 PM

The buffalo did not exist measurable amounts east of the Mississippi or west of the Rio Grand in New Mexico, in fact they were scarce west of the Pecos in New Mexico. In Colorado, they existed mainly east of the Rockies, same in Montana and Wyoming. From Texas straight north into Canada was mainly their home range. But they did exist outside of this home range.

The inventory of buffalo back then at 60 million seems highly possible, the area they inhabited had no cities, no fences, and very few people. Right now, Texas has a cattle inventory of over 12 million, and we definitely don't have many over stocked pastures. Add in inventory possible in the area for OK, NM, KS, NE, WY, MT, SD and ND plus central Canada.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:31 PM

The problem with history is it's just as biased as the person who writes it down, just as truthful and the same goes with those who pass it on.

So true up

Writers like to embellish to makes their stories grandeur for fame and fortune, generational story tellers are just that story tellers and we all know how facts and information gets distorted from one teller of the story to the next.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:37 PM

No doubt Indians killed their share of buffalo for trade.
But it is unlikely that whites killed them to "starve out" the Indians. At the time the buffalo where nearly wiped out, late 1800's, Indian problems for the most part no longer existed.
Also the late 1800s made for the taming of The Frontier. The West had been fairly well fenced off at this time and reduced the size of buffaloes turf. What was a free range from Mexico to Alaska no longer existed. Buffaloes had been fenced in.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
But it is unlikely that whites killed them to "starve out" the Indians. At the time the buffalo where nearly wiped out, late 1800's, Indian problems for the most part no longer existed.
Also the late 1800s made for the taming of The Frontier. The West had been fairly well fenced off at this time and reduced the size of buffaloes turf. What was a free range from Mexico to Alaska no longer existed. Buffaloes had been fenced in.

It’s been hypothesised that even with out European settlement, that the simple re-introduction of the horse by Spaniards would of caused the extinction as the natives barter market with each other grew.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 11:09 PM

One could say that the Spaniards, with the horses they brought, would constitute (their attempt) at "European settlement".

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 11:23 PM

I often wounder what North America would be like now had Europeans not settled it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 11:24 PM

https://www.fws.gov/bisonrange/timeline.htm

Home TIME LINE of the AMERICAN BISON

Dates
Estimated Bison Population
Pressures on Bison
Legislation Concerning Bison
Recovery Efforts
1500's
An estimated 30 to 60 million bison living in North America.

1700's
to
1800's

As Euro-Americans settled the country, moving westward from the east coast, they brought changes to native habitat through plowing and farming. Introduced cattle diseases and grazing competition with feral horses also impacted bison prior to direct impact by Euro-Americans.

Bison gone from Ohio, pushed out by pioneers and settlers.

Native Americans tribes, forced off land in the east, bring horses and guns to the Great Plains and increased pressure on bison.

Mass destruction of the once great herds of bison began.

1840's

West of the Rocky Mountains, bison (never in large numbers) disappeared. Native Americans market hunters concentrated on cow bison, because of their prime hides for trading.

This may have been the peak year for the Hudson=s Bay Company as 75,000 bison robes were traded to posts in Canada.

1860's

Railroads built across the Great Plains during this period divided the bison into two main herds - the southern and the northern. Many bison were killed to feed the railway crews and Army posts. During this time, ABuffalo Bill@ Cody gains fame.
In 1864, the Idaho State Legislature passed the first law to protect the bison - after they were gone from the state.
In 1866, Charles Goodnight, at the request of his wife, captured a few free ranging bison calves and began a captive herd on his ranch in Texas. The bison were sold shortly after, unbeknownst of Mr. Goodnight.

An estimated two million bison were killed this year on the southern plains. Germany had developed a process to tan bison hides into fine leather.
Homesteaders collected bones from carcasses left by hunters. Bison bones were used in refining sugar, and in making fertilizer and fine bone china. Bison bones brought from $2.50 to $15.00 a ton. Based on an average price of $8 per ton they brought 2.5 million dollars into Kansas alone between 1868 and 1881. Assuming that about 100 skeletons were required to make one ton of bones, this represented the remains of more than 31 million bison.

It became obvious in the 1870's that owning bison was profitable. More and more people were capturing free ranging bison to establish private herds.

This year marked the beginning of the end of the southern herd. The greatest slaughter took place along the railroads. One firm in St. Louis traded 250,000 hides this year. Demand for bison skins escalated as a Pennsylvania tannery began commercially tanning bison hides. With this newly discovered tanning process, bison were now hunted year round.
Territorial delegate R.C. McCormick of Arizona introduced a bill that made it illegal for any person to kill a buffalo on public lands in the United States, except for food or preserving the robe. The bill indicated that the fine be $100 for each buffalo killed. Mysteriously, this document disappeared.
Wyoming passed a law prohibiting the waste of bison meat. Since such laws were not enforced, they did little to protect the bison.

During this year and the next two, an average of 5,000 bison were killed each day, every day of the year, as ten thousand hunters poured onto the plains. One railroad shipped over a million pounds of bison bones. Bison hunting became a popular sport among the wealthy.
The Kansas legislature passed a law prohibiting the wasting of bison meat, but the Governor vetoed it.
Colorado passed a law prohibiting the wasting of bison meat; it was not enforced.
The legislation creating Yellowstone National Park provided Aagainst the wanton destruction of the fish and game found in said park@. Staffing and funding were not provided to enforce this law.

On the southern plains, slaughter reached its peak. One railroad shipped nearly three million pounds of bones. Hides sold for $1.25 each, tongues brought 25 cents a piece - most of the bison was left to rot. A railway engineer said it was possible to walk A100 miles@ along the Santa Fe railroad right-of-way by stepping from one bison carcass to another.
Columbus Delano, Secretary of the Interior, under President Grant, wrote in his 1873 report, AI would not seriously regret the total disappearance of the buffalo from our western prairies, in the effect upon the Indians. I would regard it rather as a means of hastening their sense of dependence upon the products of the soil and their own labors.@
In 1872 or 1873 with the aid of his wife Sabine, Walking Coyote, a Pend d=Oreille Indian, acquired some bison calves, bringing them into the Flathead Valley with the intent of starting a bison herd.
In Canada, west of Winnipeg, James McKay acquired five bison and established a small herd.

This year marked the seeming end of the great southern herd. Auctions in Fort Worth, Texas were moving 200,000 hides every day or two. One railroad shipped nearly 7 million pounds of buffalo bones.
Congress advanced their efforts to save the bison. Both the House and Senate passed a bill that protected female bison and did away with wanton destruction. However, President Grant refused to sign the bill.
Around this time, William and Charles Alloway of Manitoba, Canada, with the aid of a milk cow, captured three bison calves to start their own herd.

Few bison remained in Texas when the state legislature moved to protect the bison. However, General Phil Sheridan appeared before the assembly and suggested that every hunter be given a medal Awith a dead buffalo on one side and a discouraged Indian on the other.@ He added that once the animals were exterminated, the Indians would be controlled and civilization could advance.

The estimated three to four million bison of the southern plains were now dead. The Northern Pacific Railroad, anxious to advance, ignored tribal treaties and sent in a survey party. Native Americans killed some of the men, and General George Custer was sent to investigate, making history with the Battle at Little Big Horn.

A few remaining free roaming bison were discovered in Texas and were killed.
A law was passed in Canada that forbade the use of pounds (corrals), wanton destruction, killing of buffalo under 2 years of age, and the killing of cows during a closed season.
Lt. Col. Samuel Bedson of Stoney Mountain, Manitoba (Canada) purchased bison from the Alloway herd, the McKay herd and from some Native Americans.

Bison in Canada were disappearing rapidly.
Canada repealed the 1877 law.

Slaughter of the northern herd had begun.
New Mexico passed a law to protect the bison; unfortunately the bison were already gone from this state.

This year=s winter marked the largest slaughter of the northern herd. One county in Montana shipped 180,000 buffalo skins. Robes brought $2.50 to $4.00 each.

Around this time, the Glidden and the Dupree herds (of the Dakotas) were established.

Over 10,000 bison were taken during one hunt of a few days length in Dakota Territory in September.
The fate of the northern herd had been determined. Hunters thought that the bison had moved north to Canada, but they hadn=t. They had simply been eliminated.

By mid-year nearly all the bison in the United States were gone.
The Dakota Territorial Legislature enacted a law to protect bison; it was not enforced.
In Oklahoma, the McCoy brothers and J.W. Summers caught a pair of bison calves, 2 of very few left on the southern plains.
There were around 325 wild bison left in the United States - including 25 in Yellowstone.

Congress gives the Army the task of enforcing laws in Yellowstone National Park in an effort to protect the final few wild bison from poachers.
Charles Goodnight re-established his herd.
Michel Pablo and Charles Allard of Montana purchased 13 bison from Walking Coyote for $2000 in gold.

C.J. Jones purchased a few bison from Charles Goodnight, along with capturing 13 bison from southern Texas, starting his own private herd.

The Smithsonian Institute sent an expedition out to obtain bison specimens for the National Museum. After a lengthy search, some were found near the LU Bar Ranch in Montana. Twenty-five were collected for mounting and scientific study. (The original mounted specimens were brought to the Fort Benton (MT) Museum of the Upper Missouri in the mid-1990's, close to where the original bison were taken.)

The American Museum of Natural History (New York), wishing to obtain their own bison specimens for an exhibit, mounted an exhibition to Montana. They found no bison.
One of the last lots of bison robes sold in Texas for $10 per robe.

Austin Corbin established a herd of bison on New Hampshire=s Blue Mountain Game Preserve.
William Hornaday estimated total bison population to be just over 1000 animals - 85 free ranging, 200 in the federal herd (Yellowstone NP), 550 at Great Slave Lake (Canada) and 256 in zoos and private herds.
Last commercial shipments of hides anywhere in United States.

The Pablo/Allard herd in the Flathead Valley totaled about 300. Allard died, and his widow sold her portion to Charles Conrad of Kalispell, MT.
There were 700 bison in private herds. The Yellowstone herd was estimated at 23 animals.

Government bison herds held about 100 animals (Yellowstone NP and the National Zoological Park in Washington, DC).

The American Bison Society founded by private citizens to protect and restore bison. Ernest Harold Baynes, founder; William T. Hornaday, president; Theodore Roosevelt, honorary president.
Hornaday (director of NY Zoological Park) gifted 12 of their bison to Wichita National Forest Preserve. This became the first gift of bison to establish/increase government herds.
1906 to 1912

Pablo sold his bison herd to Canada, after Congress turned down funding for purchase for the United States. After 7 years of rounding up, a total of 695 animals were shipped to Canada. Pablo received $170,000.
The National Bison Society donated 6 bison to the Fort Niobrara Game Preserve.

National Bison Range established for A..a permanent ... Range for the herd of bison to be presented by the American Bison Society.@

Thirty-four bison purchased from the Conrad herd (Kalispell, MT) by the American Bison Society, donated and release on National Bison Range.
The American Bison Society Census estimated 2,108 bison in North American (1,076 in Canada and 1,032 in the U.S.). Bison in public herds in the U.S. totaled 151.

Wind Cave National Park (SD) received 14 bison from the New York Zoological Society.
Estimated population of North American bison at 12,521.

The National Bison Range donates 218 bison from a herd total of 675 to other public herds. This is the first of many donations and sales of live bison.

Because of the secure populations of bison in public herds, the American Bison Society votes itself out of existence.
1990's
An estimated 20,000-25,000 bison were in public herds in North America.
At least 250,000 bison in private herds by end of decade.

Private bison herds on the rise. Many bison raised for eventual slaughter - selling point of bison meat is it leanness and low levels of cholesterol. Many Native American Tribes reintroducing bison to their lands through the effort of the InterTribal Bison Cooperative and donations from federal herds.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick
I often wounder what North America would be like now had Europeans not settled it.

Someone else would have.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/30/17 11:34 PM

Someone else would have.

Bingo up

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

It’s been hypothesised that even with out European settlement, that the simple re-introduction of the horse by Spaniards would of caused the extinction as the natives barter market with each other grew.

The introduction of the horse by DeSoto and Coronado (probably not intentional) to the Plains Indians gave them a huge advantage in travel, hunting and battle, making them the most feared Indians in the US. Up until then they were hunting buffalo on foot, something to think about. Once the horse was established they would ride into the herds flinging arrows like crazy putting as many arrows into one as they could. When you consider the equipment they used I would go as far as saying they wounded more than they actually killed on the spot. Mogoosh a Lipan Apache who was in this area told stories of wounded buffalo wandering across the prairies only to be lost.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 12:38 AM

I don’t know about that. I saw a film where the Sioux folded ‘em up on the spot with just a couple arrows. Not a one limped away. Some gringo even leveled one with an offhand shot from his lever gun, saving a young brave. There was quite a celebration, afterwards, with raw buffalo liver shared by all, as was their custom, apparently. The whole thing seemed pretty accurate, to me. You should check it out.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 12:49 AM

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 12:54 AM

That’s the documentary I was talking about.
Posted By: Grizz

I don’t know about that. I saw a film where the Sioux folded ‘em up on the spot with just a couple arrows. Not a one limped away. Some gringo even leveled one with an offhand shot from his lever gun, saving a young brave. There was quite a celebration, afterwards, with raw buffalo liver shared by all, as was their custom, apparently. The whole thing seemed pretty accurate, to me. You should check it out.

The way those buffaloes went down makes me wonder if the arrow shafts were 10mm in diameter, thereby killing them quicker and deader. peep

Instead of bows and arrows, I would have rigged up a catapult to fling boulders at the buffalo. Of course boulders may be in short supply in some places.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

The way those buffaloes went down makes me wonder if the arrow shafts were 10mm in diameter, thereby killing them quicker and deader. peep

Oh, solid theory.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 01:52 AM

My cousin found correspondance between my family's early settlers in Weiland Texas back to kin in Tennessee they said that there were deer and buffalo in abundance.around 1850's. Do you think this was so?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Buck25-06
My cousin found correspondance between my family's early settlers in Weiland Texas back to kin in Tennessee they said that there were deer and buffalo in abundance.around 1850's. Do you think this was so?

Yes.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 02:21 AM

Do ou think the Indians would have preferred Mathews or bowtech?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 03:14 AM

So true up

Writers like to embellish to makes their stories grandeur for fame and fortune, generational story tellers are just that story tellers and we all know how facts and information gets distorted from one teller of the story to the next.

Recorded history is imperfect to be sure because, as they say, it is almost always written by the winners. That was especially true up through the 19th century. It has become less and less true as we entered the modern age. More sources of information have become available-and reputable historians have taken a much more in depth approach. Many of the old historical maxims have now been re-examined and we now have a much more comprehensive view of historical events than we used to.

If someone truly wants to have an informed view, the thing to do is learn and study (with a critical but open mind) about whatever the subject is - not just assume it’s all bunk and then make up their own spin or assumptions about it. Which seems to be the approach of many regarding many different subjects these days.

There is pretty much a war on education and learning these days being waged by many. It’s pretty scary, actually.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 11:46 AM

Do ou think the Indians would have preferred Mathews or bowtech?

Hoyt of course. This actually leads into another part of the native life and it was the European influence through trade and other means. Metal arrowheads were manufactured and traded to the natives at one time. I've found a few of the old metal trade points on a draw south of Stanton. Trading for guns was another big game changer in the life of the natives giving them a much better advantage in hunting and battle. It seems from history that the natives jumped on any technology that was advantageous to them. One of the most prized possessions of a man at that time was a steel blade knife usually bartered for with the trade of hides or horses. With the hide trade going strong the natives were able to gain access to the most sought after tools of the Europeans and that was firearms. With firearms the Natives were able to get more hides allowing them to get more weapons gaining advantages in both hunting and defense.The Native Americans were in awe of the weapons carried by the Europeans.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 03:13 PM

I have read both books and highly recommend both as well. Flores is also occasionally on Rinella's Meateater podcast as well and is quite informative.
Posted By: TomBaty

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: NDN98

I have read both books and highly recommend both as well. Flores is also occasionally on Rinella's Meateater podcast as well and is quite informative.

I read Rinella's book recently and am still working my way through Flores's. Flores's book is an interesting read, even though I disagree with a lot of his stances, especially considering feral horse herds. He's on the side that feral horse herds should be allowed to roam the plains because evolutionary/fossil evidence suggests that horses evolved in North America and migrated to Europe. Using that same train of thought, though, you could argue that cave bears and steppe lions should be reintroduced, should you be able to clone one from fossilized DNA. Horses went extinct in North America for a reason; reintroduction is an anthropological influence on the ecosystem. While we do that all the time, doing so and claiming it's the restoration of the natural order is contradictory.

That's all off-topic, sorry, but yes they're very interesting books worth reading. I'm a young world theorist, and don't believe in speciation, which much of the book deals with, but there's lots in there worth reading. Flores certainly let his personal views flavor the text, but its his book to do with as he pleases and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it!
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 05:41 PM

By the time we started recording and studying much, disease had changed a lot of the Native North American culture. There is less known about the cultures prior to Columbus.

Science can have some ideas and theories basically from studying their refuse and trash.

Regardless of anyone's spin, the US committed genocide against the Native American people. Not judging it right or wrong. That's just what happened.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 07:11 PM

Well lets start with the first part referencing 30 to 60 million Buffalo. That number has no validity at all, how could it?

I think it's safe to say there were a heck of a lot of bison.

In my study of history as a hobby I came to the conclusion they were not shot to starve out the natives or that was an official policy. However, it was commented on by people of importance and "in charge" that it was sort of a bonus.
Posted By: ralph

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 12/31/17 10:10 PM

"Moybe the black panthers got yore bison"...Said in an Australian accent with a nod to Seinfeld smile

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 12:52 AM

The native Americans had no role in the disappearance of the bison from 1865-1880. I’m not saying they were perfect stewards of them or saints or anything else. But they were not the reason for their demise.

The timing alone would tell anyone that. They were fine for tens of thousands of years with the natives and then -bam- they were gone in 15 years because of them?

Uhhhh, no.

IDK about today, but in my day there were certainly no “white guilt” issues in my textbooks. The Founders, Texas Revolutionaries, and Confederates were only about a half-step below Jesus.

Actually that’s incorrect, infact native Americans killed the last Canadian herd. They where also a large part of the buffulo trade.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:03 AM

I don’t feel like arguing with you, so change “no” to “insignificant” or “infinitesimal” if you like.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: TomBaty

I read Rinella's book recently and am still working my way through Flores's. Flores's book is an interesting read, even though I disagree with a lot of his stances, especially considering feral horse herds. He's on the side that feral horse herds should be allowed to roam the plains because evolutionary/fossil evidence suggests that horses evolved in North America and migrated to Europe. Using that same train of thought, though, you could argue that cave bears and steppe lions should be reintroduced, should you be able to clone one from fossilized DNA. Horses went extinct in North America for a reason; reintroduction is an anthropological influence on the ecosystem. While we do that all the time, doing so and claiming it's the restoration of the natural order is contradictory.

That's all off-topic, sorry, but yes they're very interesting books worth reading. I'm a young world theorist, and don't believe in speciation, which much of the book deals with, but there's lots in there worth reading. Flores certainly let his personal views flavor the text, but its his book to do with as he pleases and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it!

100% same page as you. Although short nose bears would be cool in LA
Camels where once native to North America also. I personally think once a species is gone from US it’s gone. Wolves, should of stayed gone. Wild horse, shot them, wild burro shot them, any invasive species on public land shot them.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:06 AM

I don’t feel like arguing with you, so change “no” to “insignificant” or “infinitesimal” if you like.

I said large part of the buffalo trade not insignificant or infinitesimal. Romance if you want.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:13 AM

I said large part of the buffalo trade not insignificant or infinitesimal. Romance if you want.

I know I can’t be right on anything BOBO, but Native Americans were not responsible for the extirpation of the American Bison. Go off on any tangent you want, it will not change that fact.
P.S. They were never a “large” part of the trade.
P.S.S. Who do you think they were “trading” with/selling them to? Hint: white men. It was our market, not theirs.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:18 AM

Camels where once native to North America also. I personally think once a species is gone from US it’s gone. Wolves, should of stayed gone. Wild horse, shot them, wild burro shot them, any invasive species on public land shot them.

There’s a slight distinction between species that went extinct without man’s help and those that we caused to disappear. If folks had your view in 1900, we wouldn’t have much to hunt now. Deer, elk, pronghorn, etc. were almost gone.

I agree on the horses and burros.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:23 AM

I know I can’t be right on anything BOBO, but Native Americans were not responsible for the extirpation of the American Bison. Go off on any tangent you want, it will not change that fact.
P.S. They were never a “large” part of the trade.
P.S.S. Who do you think they were “trading” with/selling them to? Hint: white men. It was our market, not theirs.

If you killing it to trade you are part of the trade. And yes they where. There was a buffalo trade before the Europeans, How do you think macaws ended up in New Mexico.

Lol, like I said romanize if you want..

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:31 AM

I’m not romanticizing anything. I’m staying on topic - the topic is who is responsible for the near-extinction of the American Bison.

As usual, you are now off on stuff like there being some sort of buffalo trade before Europeans and macaws
in New Mexico - neither of which has jack to do with the subject. Obviously, that trade before white men came along did not drive them to the brink of extinction or have any significant impact on their populations.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:49 AM

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:51 AM

Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didn’t mention eradicating a native species. You can’t bring back species once it’s gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger that’s playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:54 AM

I’m not romanticizing anything. I’m staying on topic - the topic is who is responsible for the near-extinction of the American Bison.

As usual, you are now off on stuff like there being some sort of buffalo trade before Europeans and macaws
in New Mexico - neither of which has jack to do with the subject. Obviously, that trade before white men came along did not drive them to the brink of extinction or have any significant impact on their populations.

Again You brought up a romanticized view that Native Indians had no part(and later changed to very little) part in the killing of bison from North America landscape... that’s false

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 01:57 AM

Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didn’t mention eradicating a native species. You can’t bring back species once it’s gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger that’s playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

Many of the game animals in the U.S. today are not the same subspecies that were native to their areas. Deer, elk, sheep, pronghorn, mountain goat.
Many of the WTs we hunt in TX are re-stocks from different areas. A lot of mine were from KS.
We would all be sucking wind for hunting under your theory if “once it’s gone, keep it gone.”

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:00 AM

Again You brought up a romanticized view that Native Indians had no part(and later changed to very little) part in the killing of bison from North America landscape... that’s false

No, it’s not.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:03 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

White man and Native Indians played a role for monetary reasons.

The Mexican wolf should of been recovered by all means, as it is in NM, AZ and MX Now the introduction into Yellowstone should of not happened. Big void always gets filled if allowed to be fill. Yellowstone NP was allowed to get to 17k elk. It could of easy been brought down to and/ or kept at post Wolf numbers(4K) by hunting

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:15 AM

Many of the game animals in the U.S. today are not the same subspecies that were native to their areas. Deer, elk, sheep, pronghorn, mountain goat.
Many of the WTs we hunt in TX are re-stocks from different areas. A lot of mine were from KS.
We would all be sucking wind for hunting under your theory if “once it’s gone, keep it gone.”

Camels, burro/horses became extinct in all forms across NA, x thousands of years ago, they in their current wild flora should not be on public land, nor aoudad, nor pheasants nor ibex..

Elk are not gone from the Land scape, nor Mule deer, nor pronghorn nor Whitetails Etc. They in general are not gone. Relocating them to non traditional areas is tricky and can have sever effects but non the less they are minimal compared to introduction of a species that’s been gone from the continent for xxxxx amount of years.

I do find your agruement hilarious since you say the exact opposite when it comes to CWD and HF’s

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:22 AM

No, I don’t.

I find your inability to stay on topic, make sweeping generalizations, and then try to dig yourself out of holes by going off down Alice’s rabbit hole with all sorts of strange non-topical crap hilarious too.

You do it constantly.

You’re “once it’s gone, it should stay gone” broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. Many native species were gone from their native areas by the turn of the 20th century. Under your view, it should have stayed that way. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

I agreed with you on the horses and burros. They were never native species.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:28 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]

The Mexican wolf should of been recovered by all means, as it is in NM, AZ and MX Now the introduction into Yellowstone should of not happened. Big void always gets filled if allowed to be fill. Yellowstone NP was allowed to get to 17k elk. It could of easy been brought down to and/ or kept at post Wolf numbers(4K) by hunting

Who do you think introduced money into the equation?

Your second paragraph has nothing to do with the topic.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:34 AM

No, I don’t.

I find your inability to stay on topic, make sweeping generalizations, and then try to dig yourself out of holes by going off down Alice’s rabbit hole with all sorts of strange non-topical crap hilarious too.

You do it constantly.

You’re “once it’s gone, it should stay gone” broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

First of all this isn’t an interjection to you. I was committing on two books and one of the authors view just like another poster. you have read neither so you have no comment, so you are doing exactly what you claim I’m doing. You

But to humor you If it’s gone you can’t bring it back. It’s GONE!! Nothing to bring back. It’s extinct.

If elk where extinct from North America it’s a bad idea to introduce Red stag cuz they share DNA.

If Dall sheep are gone you don’t replace them with Argali.

I can go on. Can Whitetails compete with Axis breeding habitats, do axis deer impact native flora same as a Whitetail? What about Aoudads vs Desert Bighorns.

If interior grizzlies went extinct should of we just imported a bunch of Kodiak Bears to Montana? Both Grizzlies

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:38 AM

Just preserving the quote. No qualifiers in the statement. Obviously talking about native species because non- natives were never here originally to be “gone” in the first place.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:38 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Again Indians had a barter system before Europeans, thus why a South America bird is in NM...

Sorry stub I’m not allowed to respond to you in conversation per NP

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:40 AM

No, I don’t.

You do it constantly.

You’re “once it’s gone, it should stay gone” broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

First of all this isn’t an interjection to you. I was committing on two books and one of the authors view just like another poster. you have read neither so you have no comment, so you are doing exactly what you claim I’m doing. You

But to humor you If it’s gone you can’t bring it back. It’s GONE!! Nothing to bring back. It’s extinct.

If elk where extinct from North America it’s a bad idea to introduce Red stag cuz they share DNA.

I can go on. Can Whitetails compete with Axis breeding habitats, do axis deer impact native flora same as a Whitetail? What about Aoudads vs Desert Bighorns.

If interior grizzlies went extinct should of we just imported a bunch of Kodiak Bears to Montana? Both Grizzlies

Complete changing the subject dodge. You do it all the time.

Wrong on something? Adopt a different argument and act like that’s what you said to start with.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:42 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Again Indians had a barter system before Europeans, thus why a South America bird is in NM...

Sorry stub I’m not allowed to respond to you in conversation per NP

Stub’s “monetary reasons” statement was in reference to the buffalo. It’s right up there. ^^^^^

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:48 AM

No, I don’t.

You do it constantly.

Complete changing the subject dodge. You do it all the time.

Wrong on something? Adopt a different argument and act like that’s what you said to start with.

Seriously TomBaty and I where speaking about the authors Flores views.. and you interject, with out even knowing the authors views or why.

Havent dodge any subject and my statement is the same.

Are you drunk? Drunk trolling ain’t cool

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:50 AM

And now to the ad hominems - the final step. I know I cannot respond at this point. Good night.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:56 AM

[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Stub’s “monetary reasons” statement was in reference to the buffalo. It’s right up there. ^^^^^

What part of whiteman “and” Indian do you not understand. Indian had a barter(Monetary)system way before Europeans step foot on NA. The almost Demise of the buffalo was Indian AND whiteman. Whats hard about that? Stud just said whiteman had a monetary interest, all I said was so did Indians, it just accelerated with Europeans, and then comments on wolves.

Anyway-
Both authors even commented that the re-introduction of the horse would of caused the demise of the Buffalo with out the white man ever stepping foot in North America

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 02:59 AM

And now to the ad hominems - the final step. I know I cannot respond at this point. Good night.

It’s about time!

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 03:11 AM

I'm so glad you boys are getting along. 'Gives me hope for the new year.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 03:12 AM

grin

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 03:19 AM

And you can't argue with the big man...

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 03:45 AM

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:51 AM

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

As a matter of fact the reintroduction has helped balance the ecosystem!

Please share with all where you come up with a Hybrid that is 30% bigger??
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
And you can't argue with the big man...

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:06 AM

There's a registered herd of NA Bison up the road from me. All I can say is, the bulls are as big as D-8's, and the calves are friggin' ugly as can be. GF and I decided it's definitely a natural defense mechanism. They're so ugly coyotes probably puke looking at them.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:11 AM

Replacing inland grizzlies with Kodiaks is an interesting idea. It's not necessary because inland grizzlies aren't extinct and they already occupy most of their remaining habitat. The reason I think it's relevant is because a similar idea has been proposed before. A few years ago, several groups lobbied for introducing grizzlies from the GYE into some of the remaining habitat of the extinct Mexican grizzly bear range in the Southwest.

If it were not for locals shooting all of them onsite, I think it would work. The Gila/Mogollon complex hasn't changed much in the last 70 since grizzlies lived there. I think it would still support a few grizzlies, I don't think it ever supported a high density of grizzlies.

The Mexican grizzlies were smaller and more adapted to dry climates than the GYE grizzlies. That was a point that was emphasized by opponents of the reintroduction. That is true but the same can be said of the elk in the area. That region was Merriam's elk territory until the 20th century. Merriam's elk were extinct in the early 20th century and Rocky Mountain elk from Yellowstone were reintroduced and they have thrived every since.
Posted By: John Deer

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:06 PM

Thanks to Dogcatcher for the timeline. The demise of the buffalo and the subsequent removal of the plains indians to reservation
marked the beginning of the end of the "Wild West.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:08 PM

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

There's so much controversy from all sides about that subject that it's impossible to sort out any facts. Everyone can cite some study backing up their claims.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

There's so much controversy from all sides about that subject that it's impossible to sort out any facts. Everyone can cite some study backing up their claims.

It’s not impossible to sort out facts from speculation.

Manifest Destiny/westward expansion of white America almost wiped out the American Bison = Fact.
The final blows that wiped out tens of millions of them took place over a short 20 year period = Fact.

That Indians would have eventually wiped them out anyway because they had horses (introduced by outsiders and in widespread use for two centuries before the bison’s extirpation) = Useless, unsupported and almost certainly wrong. Pure speculation-the opposite of fact.

Without white men there would have been no guns, no railroads, no commercial markets, none of the huge upheavals/changes brought by European influx.

Talk about “romanticizing” to assuage guilt, deny reality, change the subject, whatever - that’s the very definition of it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:54 PM

Buffaloed: The Myth and Reality of Bison in America

https://fee.org/articles/buffaloed-the-myth-and-reality-of-bison-in-america/

Quote:
Notions that "pre-capitalist" Indians lived in harmony with nature-especially the buffalo-are thoroughly exploded in the new works by these anthropologists and historians. Indians used the tools at their disposal, mostly fire and cunning, to hunt buffalo. "Box burning," a common tactic, involved setting simultaneous fires on all four sides of a herd. The French word "Brulé," or "burnt," referred to the Sicangu ("burnt thigh") Sioux division whose survivors of hunting fires were burned on the legs. Charles McKenzie, traveling the plains in 1804, observed entire herds charred from Indian fires. Another favored hunting tactic, the "buffalo jump," involved luring a herd after an Indian dressed in a buffalo skin. At a full run, the brave led the herd to a cliff, where he leapt to a small ledge while the buffalo careened over the edge to their deaths. Either of these methods led to horrible waste and inefficient use of resources.

Quote:
The ultimate problem, however, was lack of property rights. One trader observed that the moving habits of the Plains Indians "prevent the accumulation of much baggage. . . . Thus personal property cannot be acquired to any amount."2 Lacking the ability to store a surplus, the Indians acquired none. While their communal heritage encouraged them to band together in hard times, the lack of surplus meat or robes meant that they only shared scarcity. A powerful myth emerged-one repeated in many textbooks-that the Indians "used every part of the buffalo," implying that the Plains Indians used all the buffalo they killed. That was not the case. Estimates made in the 1850s suggest that Indians harvested about 450,000 animals a year, and some think the figure was far higher than that. After stripping the best meat and some useful parts, the Indians left the remainder to rot. The stench permeated the prairie for miles, and many a pioneer came across acres of bones from buffalo killed by the Indians before they moved on.

Quote:
Westward expansion of whites and trade between whites and Indians produced two significant changes, one more destructive than the other. The first-already mentioned-was that Indians shifted from a farming to a nomadic, hunting lifestyle. More important, as American settlers pushed west, both the Indians and the buffalo constituted an impediment to further expansion. A thriving buffalo-hide trade already existed with Indian hunters, but by the 1860s, a new wave of white hunters, using modern firearms and industrial processing methods vastly expanded the slaughter of the bison. This had three purposes: (1) it fed railroad workers and some western markets; (2) it continued to provide robes and hides to tanneries; and (3) it provided a way to get rid of the Indian by eliminating his food supply.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 04:57 PM

Yes. And only the post-1860 events in the final paragraph that “vastly expanded the slaughter” led to their virtual disappearance.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:06 PM

Don’t disagree but the peaceful coexist non- surplus toting Indian view is a myth.
Indian participated heavily in killing buffalo for barter before the whiteman and it intensified with bartering to whiteman.

The whiteman didn’t single handly go out and kill all the buffalos as it has been stated on here, it was a joint effort.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:07 PM

Yes. And only the post-1860 events in the final paragraph that “vastly expanded the slaughter” led to their virtual disappearance.

Of course! Obviously the first few million had nothing to do with it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:22 PM

Replacing inland grizzlies with Kodiaks is an interesting idea. It's not necessary because inland grizzlies aren't extinct and they already occupy most of their remaining habitat. The reason I think it's relevant is because a similar idea has been proposed before. A few years ago, several groups lobbied for introducing grizzlies from the GYE into some of the remaining habitat of the extinct Mexican grizzly bear range in the Southwest.

If it were not for locals shooting all of them onsite, I think it would work. The Gila/Mogollon complex hasn't changed much in the last 70 since grizzlies lived there. I think it would still support a few grizzlies, I don't think it ever supported a high density of grizzlies.

The Mexican grizzlies were smaller and more adapted to dry climates than the GYE grizzlies. That was a point that was emphasized by opponents of the reintroduction. That is true but the same can be said of the elk in the area. That region was Merriam's elk territory until the 20th century. Merriam's elk were extinct in the early 20th century and Rocky Mountain elk from Yellowstone were reintroduced and they have thrived every since.

One of the reason I used that as an example was it been proposed before like you said, and way to many holes and ecological issues. The as far Rocky and Merriam or even Rocky/tule and Roise/Rocky populations essentially had over lapping historical ranges but even today majority of habitat the RM, Tule and Rosie inhabitant is minute compared to what it would of been.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:27 PM

Of course! Obviously the first few million had nothing to do with it.

Actually, it didn’t. Just like the few million whitetails we kill every year in the U.S. Heck, 700,000 a year in TX alone. Don’t see them almost gone, do you?

What took them down to near-extinction (which is the topic of the OP) were post-1860 events. Period. End of story.

Ask yourself this: if none had been killed after 1860, would they have almost gone extinct within 2 decades or so?
A. No.

The problem with these threads is folks go off-topic so easily. The topic is who caused them to almost go extinct? The answer is: post Civil War slaughter of them by white men. That’s it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:29 PM

Quote:
The whiteman didn’t single handly go out and kill all the buffalos as it has been stated on here, it was a joint effort.

That was well on it's way before the white man got involved, he just had better weapons. The Paleo Indians of the America's didn't disappear they're just distant relatives of today's tribes yet many of the species they hunted are long gone. Natives hunted for results and what ever got the best results seemed to be the method of choice. Were I to run 25 hunter across my place in a drive with hunters on the other end I could probably clean my place of deer in short order. Driving animals is a very efficient way of putting large amounts of meat on the table with little effort. When you consider the size of the tribes and the resources needed to keep them alive, it's easy to imagine more efficient methods of collection. As suggested in the link. Killing more than you could actually eat was probably a common reality. No refrigerators or food banks back then, take what you could consume and carry and leave the rest.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:32 PM

Quote:

That was well on it's way before the white man got involved, he just had better weapons. The Paleo Indians of the America's didn't disappear they're just distant relatives of today's tribes yet many of the species they hunted are long gone. Natives hunted for results and what ever got the best results seemed to be the method of choice. Were I to run 25 hunter across my place in a drive with hunters on the other end I could probably clean my place of deer in short order. Driving animals is a very efficient way of putting large amounts of meat on the table with little effort. When you consider the size of the tribes and the resources needed to keep them alive, it's easy to imagine more efficient methods of collection. As suggested in the link. Killing more than you could actually eat was probably a common reality. No refrigerators or food banks back then, take what you could consume and carry and leave the rest.

The question is not “Did Indians kill a bunch of buffalo?”
The question is: “What caused them to almost go extinct?”

Geez Louise.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:35 PM

Quote:
The problem with these threads is folks go off-topic so easily. The topic is who caused them to almost go extinct? The answer is: post Civil War slaughter of them by white men. That’s it.

You saying that's it doesn't make it the last word, it just means you've convinced yourself it is. Kinda like saying we have two cows, you eat the first one and I eat the second then you claim I'm the reason we're out of cow. Yep your hands are clean in your mind.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:37 PM

Quote:
The question is: “What caused them to almost go extinct?”

Humans! What I've been saying the whole time.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:40 PM

I'm almost certain it was CWD..

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:42 PM

Quote:

You saying that's it doesn't make it the last word, it just means you've convinced yourself it is. Kinda like saying we have two cows, you eat the first one and I eat the second then you claim I'm the reason we're out of cow. Yep your hands are clean in your mind.

Facts are facts. No matter who presents them.
Your own post above answers the question on the table. You answer none of my questions, refute nothing I say on the subject.

Like BOBO, you are simply off on a tangent. At least I can follow your tangent. smile

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:49 PM

It’s not impossible to sort out facts from speculation.

Manifest Destiny/westward expansion of white America almost wiped out the American Bison = Fact.
The final blows that wiped out tens of millions of them took place over a short 20 year period = Fact.

That Indians would have eventually wiped them out anyway because they had horses (introduced by outsiders and in widespread use for two centuries before the bison’s extirpation) = Useless, unsupported and almost certainly wrong. Pure speculation-the opposite of fact.

Without white men there would have been no guns, no railroads, no commercial markets, none of the huge upheavals/changes brought by European influx.

Talk about “romanticizing” to assuage guilt, deny reality, change the subject, whatever - that’s the very definition of it.

I was referring to the notorious wolf saga in the USA. (Which is really a whole other thread.)

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 05:57 PM

I was just answering BOBO and trying to bring it back to the topic at hand.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:07 PM

Bison, red wolf, Mexican wolf, passenger pigeon, elk, pronghorn, deer, mountain sheep, wolves, grizzlies, mountain goat - in the Lower 48 these were extirpated, almost all brought to the brink of disappearance or, at the very least, greatly reduced in population by the turn of the 20th century or not long thereafter.

This was not done by Native Americans. No one even seriously argues the point.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:30 PM

I didn’t say hybrid I said the Canadian wolves used to populate Yellowstone where 30% larger, then what was once Native. We had three options Minnesota wolves or regrow Mexican greys or use wolves out of Canada. Jasper NP wolves where used,

Minnesota Wolves where closet in size, but apparently they didn’t know how to kill elk.

In the end to get ES and introduction approval they concluded that the Jasper wolves where same sub species and used Bergmann's rule to get it pushed through even though the Minnesota wolves where closer size Etc.

The prey/predator balance is a joke. Yellowstone is a terrible example of utopia. Wolves numbers are down in the park as they moved out to chase more elk, and bison numbers are closely getting to beyond carrying capacity. Park officials have to cull between 600 to 900 bison. Prey/predator balance...

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:38 PM

In summary:

People really can screw up nature.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:52 PM

Bison, red wolf, Mexican wolf, passenger pigeon, elk, pronghorn, deer, mountain sheep, wolves, grizzlies, mountain goat - in the Lower 48 these were extirpated, almost all brought to the brink of disappearance or, at the very least, greatly reduced in population by the turn of the 20th century or not long thereafter.

No body has but many have stated they sure helped.

By 1880 Indians had assimilated into United States Of America Culture with many assimilating well before that.

Montana had a huntable population of Grizzlies the day they where placed on ESA protection in the 90’s.

last grizzly in CO was 1979 killed 10 miles from my old cabin...... southern Ute killed them off thier reservation well before that.

I can still remember seeing Mexican Wolves at Ghost ranch in NM in the 80’s, ironically I’m headed as I type to compete against thier descendants. Ironically not one reintroduced Mexican Wolf came from Reservation Land.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 06:55 PM

In summary:

Yes, and it will get worse. 250 million and expanding.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 07:01 PM

In summary:

Yes, and it will get worse. 250 million and expanding.

But it's so darn fun makin' 'em!

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 08:33 PM

I didn’t say hybrid I said the Canadian wolves used to populate Yellowstone where 30% larger, then what was once Native. We had three options Minnesota wolves or regrow Mexican greys or use wolves out of Canada. Jasper NP wolves where used,

Minnesota Wolves where closet in size, but apparently they didn’t know how to kill elk.

In the end to get ES and introduction approval they concluded that the Jasper wolves where same sub species and used Bergmann's rule to get it pushed through even though the Minnesota wolves where closer size Etc.

The prey/predator balance is a joke. Yellowstone is a terrible example of utopia. Wolves numbers are down in the park as they moved out to chase more elk, and bison numbers are closely getting to beyond carrying capacity. Park officials have to cull between 600 to 900 bison. Prey/predator balance...

BoBo you did say sub species Not Hybrid my bad, but you did not specify Canadian which is no biggy. This is really just a question, where do you get your information that the Canadian Gray wolf is a different sub species than the Gray wolf which roamed Yellowstone?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 08:35 PM

A sub species is not a hybrid, and I’m pretty sure he was calling Nog dense, not you, Stub.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 08:43 PM

A sub species is not a hybrid, and I’m pretty sure he was calling Nog dense, not you, Stub.

Thanks Sneaky, like I said in the other comment, I have my moments laugh
And I corrected myself on that statement, he mentioned Hydatid Disease and Hybrid jumped into my out of wack processor hammer

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 09:08 PM

Believe me, I get it. We all do it.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/01/18 11:23 PM

I havent researched this much because I too was taught white man killed them all.

While I believe white man is responsible, I dont not believe it was intentional or that they were wiped out with firearms.

Last January I hunted with a friend in Wyoming. His dad is a retired Sargeant Major and big history buff. Ge has researched this for years.

Some of his points was the mat doesnt add up. He says the estimated buffalo killed doesnt come close to population estimates.

He also points out that the buffalo disappearnce across country coincided with cattle drives through those areas.

He mentions huge boneyards that have been searched, and no evidence of animals being shot.

From his research he believes it was the spread of tick fever from the cattle.

Was some pretty interesting discussions. Not.sure if he is 100% accurate, but he had references with numbers that bavked his claims.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 01:32 AM

And I corrected myself on that statement, he mentioned Hydatid Disease and Hybrid jumped into my out of wack processor hammer

Stub= good people
NP= dense

Final pack run through before I hit trail head. You men be good. up

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
I havent researched this much because I too was taught white man killed them all.

While I believe white man is responsible, I dont not believe it was intentional or that they were wiped out with firearms.

Last January I hunted with a friend in Wyoming. His dad is a retired Sargeant Major and big history buff. Ge has researched this for years.

Some of his points was the mat doesnt add up. He says the estimated buffalo killed doesnt come close to population estimates.

He also points out that the buffalo disappearnce across country coincided with cattle drives through those areas.

He mentions huge boneyards that have been searched, and no evidence of animals being shot.

Was some pretty interesting discussions. Not.sure if he is 100% accurate, but he had references with numbers that bavked his claims.

Highly probable screw worms/Whitetails, Pneumonia/Sheep, Etc

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 01:56 AM

No body has but many have stated they sure helped.

By 1880 Indians had assimilated into United States Of America Culture with many assimilating well before that.

Montana had a huntable population of Grizzlies the day they where placed on ESA protection in the 90’s.

last grizzly in CO was 1979 killed 10 miles from my old cabin...... southern Ute killed them off thier reservation well before that.

I can still remember seeing Mexican Wolves at Ghost ranch in NM in the 80’s, ironically I’m headed as I type to compete against thier descendants. Ironically not one reintroduced Mexican Wolf came from Reservation Land.

By the 1880s most of the Indians were DEAD - and the few left were almost all on reservations. But I guess you call that “assimilated”. SMDH...

In any event, if they were dead or “assimilated” by 1880 or well before, please explain how they played any significant role in the near extirpation of those species after that time?

WTH does stuff that happened from 1979-1990s have to do with the price of beans?

But, yeah, I’m the “dense” one here. rolleyes

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 01:58 AM

Stub= good people
NP= dense

Final pack run through before I hit trail head. You men be good. up

Like him or not, NG is not dense.

Him and Stub are both good dudes.

I don’t expect the two of you to ever get along, but I do believe you are both decent, sharp fellas with the best interests of hunting in mind.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 03:51 AM

The OP was apologetic for not using the word bison, but he needn't be. People seem to think bison was a native American term but it isn't. Both buffalo and bison come from the ancient Greek and Roman words for "wild ox".

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 03:55 AM

Like him or not, NG is not dense.

Him and Stub are both good dudes.

I don’t expect the two of you to ever get along, but I do believe you are both decent, sharp fellas with the best interests of hunting in mind.

up

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
The OP was apologetic for not using the word bison, but he needn't be. People seem to think bison was a native American term but it isn't. Both buffalo and bison come from the ancient Greek and Roman words for "wild ox".

I'll confess, I'm not sorry.

I'll say things like Buffalo and could care less and ain't and my 4th grade English teacher can kiss off

I didn't mean that , Mrs. Felt was a real nice lady

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 04:18 AM

Highly probable screw worms/Whitetails, Pneumonia/Sheep, Etc

This is where I was going with my original thread

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 04:42 AM

Quote:
An estimated two million bison were killed this year on the southern plains. Germany had developed a process to tan bison hides into fine leather.
Homesteaders collected bones from carcasses left by hunters. Bison bones were used in refining sugar, and in making fertilizer and fine bone china. Bison bones brought from $2.50 to $15.00 a ton. Based on an average price of $8 per ton they brought 2.5 million dollars into Kansas alone between 1868 and 1881. Assuming that about 100 skeletons were required to make one ton of bones, this represented the remains of more than 31 million bison.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/02/18 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak

I'll confess, I'm not sorry.

I'll say things like Buffalo and could care less and ain't and my 4th grade English teacher can kiss off

I didn't mean that , Mrs. Felt was a real nice lady

I was glad it was cleared up before things got started, just another point that would have been argued, I have seen it over buffalo/bison before.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 02:19 AM

American Bison by Steve Rinella.......that is all

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Quote:

Is it possible that many of those bones were from animals that were not shot to death?

An estimated 2 million were killed, based on what population?

I see a lot of MLD programs that issue tags based on 30% of the population.

I see a lot of numbers thrown around like 60-80 million population and that is compared with total amount of animals killed. Were the animals not still reproducing? So how many offspring did those 60-80 million buffalo produce over the decades in question?

Not saying hunters didn't play a part in reducing their numbers, but I do believe there were other factors that lead to their demise.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 02:41 PM

Some hunters ventured out to kill buffalo and returned with bones, rather than hides. Why was that? Certainly the hides were worth more than bones. Perhaps these hunters didn't shoot the animals to which the bones belonged.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/big-game/buffalo-hunted-to-near-extinction/
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 06:02 PM

White man killed them. They didn't vanish after we showed up by coincidence. Maybe there wasn't 60 million bullets available during that time all at once but people can make a very large impact if just given some time. Think outside the box a little and more of a timeline rather than in an instant.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 07:23 PM

Quote:

Is it possible that many of those bones were from animals that were not shot to death?

I see a lot of numbers thrown around like 60-80 million population and that is compared with total amount of animals killed. Were the animals not still reproducing? So how many offspring did those 60-80 million buffalo produce over the decades in question?

Not saying hunters didn't play a part in reducing their numbers, but I do believe there were other factors that lead to their demise.

To get your answers you need to read the complete article at the link I posted.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 08:06 PM

Quote:

To get your answers you need to read the complete article at the link I posted.

I read the complete article. It doesn't answer anything. It mentions disease once that I remember and attributes the numbers reported to hunters.

With the exception of the 31 million estimated from tons of bones, the rest of the reported harvests wouldn't put a dent in the population. Its also a fact that when many hunters went out to look for buffalo they returned with bones and no hides. Why would they leave the more valuable hides and return with less valuable bones? Much easier to transfer 2-3 hides than a ton of bones.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Cherokee Mingan
White man killed them. They didn't vanish after we showed up by coincidence. Maybe there wasn't 60 million bullets available during that time all at once but people can make a very large impact if just given some time. Think outside the box a little and more of a timeline rather than in an instant.

Did white man cause the buffalo disappearance? Yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Did white man wipe them out by shooting them 1 at a time? I seriously doubt that.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/03/18 08:13 PM

Did white man cause the buffalo disappearance? Yes, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Did white man wipe them out by shooting them 1 at a time? I seriously doubt that.

Actually yes, they probably did kill the majority of them 1 at a time over a length of time. Same with several other species that were over hunted, combined with other factors.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 01:23 AM

Pretty sure Putin's ancestors did it as revenge for getting taken when they sold Alaska in 1859. On the bright side it was good for climate change as the average bison produces 4 times as much greenhouse gas as the average cow does over the course of its life.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 02:34 AM

I think the werefeet killed ‘em.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 03:38 AM

There were many ethnicities involved in westward expansion and were hunting them for profit. To say "White man killed them" seems a bit uninformed to me. Perhaps the most accurate description would be, the new indigenous people, killed them.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 03:45 AM

“new indigenous” is an oxymoron.
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 03:51 AM

Truth.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 12:32 PM

When we're gone and the newer people inhabit this part of the planet, and history forgets there were others here before we took the land from the previous inhabitants, I'm assuming we will be referred to as indigenous. Exactly like what has recently occurred with the term "indigenous". New indigenous was my attempt at irony that was missed.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 01:43 PM

popcorn

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 02:48 PM

Actually yes, they probably did kill the majority of them 1 at a time over a length of time. Same with several other species that were over hunted, combined with other factors.

So do you believe disease played no part?

How do you explain the huge piles of remains that were investigated that showed no evidence of ever having been shot?

Disease will wreak havoc at far greater rates than man with a gun.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison - 01/04/18 04:02 PM

So do you believe disease played no part?

How do you explain the huge piles of remains that were investigated that showed no evidence of ever having been shot?

Disease will wreak havoc at far greater rates than man with a gun.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum