Forums46
Topics543,594
Posts9,800,518
Members87,481
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019111 01/01/18 02:28 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Stub
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

White man and Native Indians played a role for monetary reasons.

The Mexican wolf should of been recovered by all means, as it is in NM, AZ and MX Now the introduction into Yellowstone should of not happened. Big void always gets filled if allowed to be fill. Yellowstone NP was allowed to get to 17k elk. It could of easy been brought down to and/ or kept at post Wolf numbers(4K) by hunting

Who do you think introduced money into the equation?

Your second paragraph has nothing to do with the topic.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019122 01/01/18 02:34 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
No, I dont.

I find your inability to stay on topic, make sweeping generalizations, and then try to dig yourself out of holes by going off down Alices rabbit hole with all sorts of strange non-topical crap hilarious too.

You do it constantly.

Youre once its gone, it should stay gone broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

First of all this isnt an interjection to you. I was committing on two books and one of the authors view just like another poster. you have read neither so you have no comment, so you are doing exactly what you claim Im doing. You

But to humor you If its gone you cant bring it back. Its GONE!! Nothing to bring back. Its extinct.

If elk where extinct from North America its a bad idea to introduce Red stag cuz they share DNA.

If Dall sheep are gone you dont replace them with Argali.

I can go on. Can Whitetails compete with Axis breeding habitats, do axis deer impact native flora same as a Whitetail? What about Aoudads vs Desert Bighorns.

If interior grizzlies went extinct should of we just imported a bunch of Kodiak Bears to Montana? Both Grizzlies

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019127 01/01/18 02:38 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: TomBaty
Originally Posted By: NDN98
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
Read American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. It addresses a lot of these questions and tells you where the research came from. Very informative. Dan Flores' American Serengeti is also very good. Flores was one of the first academics to suggest that native Americans slaughtered buffalo to buy rifles and other goods from white traders.

I have read both books and highly recommend both as well. Flores is also occasionally on Rinella's Meateater podcast as well and is quite informative.

I read Rinella's book recently and am still working my way through Flores's. Flores's book is an interesting read, even though I disagree with a lot of his stances, especially considering feral horse herds. He's on the side that feral horse herds should be allowed to roam the plains because evolutionary/fossil evidence suggests that horses evolved in North America and migrated to Europe. Using that same train of thought, though, you could argue that cave bears and steppe lions should be reintroduced, should you be able to clone one from fossilized DNA. Horses went extinct in North America for a reason; reintroduction is an anthropological influence on the ecosystem. While we do that all the time, doing so and claiming it's the restoration of the natural order is contradictory.

That's all off-topic, sorry, but yes they're very interesting books worth reading. I'm a young world theorist, and don't believe in speciation, which much of the book deals with, but there's lots in there worth reading. Flores certainly let his personal views flavor the text, but its his book to do with as he pleases and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it!

100% same page as you. Although short nose bears would be cool in LA
Camels where once native to North America also. I personally think once a species is gone from US its gone. Wolves, should of stayed gone. Wild horse, shot them, wild burro shot them, any invasive species on public land shot them.

Just preserving the quote. No qualifiers in the statement. Obviously talking about native species because non- natives were never here originally to be gone in the first place.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019129 01/01/18 02:38 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

The Mexican wolf should of been recovered by all means, as it is in NM, AZ and MX Now the introduction into Yellowstone should of not happened. Big void always gets filled if allowed to be fill. Yellowstone NP was allowed to get to 17k elk. It could of easy been brought down to and/ or kept at post Wolf numbers(4K) by hunting

Again Indians had a barter system before Europeans, thus why a South America bird is in NM...

Sorry stub Im not allowed to respond to you in conversation per NP

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019135 01/01/18 02:40 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
No, I dont.

I find your inability to stay on topic, make sweeping generalizations, and then try to dig yourself out of holes by going off down Alices rabbit hole with all sorts of strange non-topical crap hilarious too.

You do it constantly.

Youre once its gone, it should stay gone broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

First of all this isnt an interjection to you. I was committing on two books and one of the authors view just like another poster. you have read neither so you have no comment, so you are doing exactly what you claim Im doing. You

But to humor you If its gone you cant bring it back. Its GONE!! Nothing to bring back. Its extinct.

If elk where extinct from North America its a bad idea to introduce Red stag cuz they share DNA.

I can go on. Can Whitetails compete with Axis breeding habitats, do axis deer impact native flora same as a Whitetail? What about Aoudads vs Desert Bighorns.

If interior grizzlies went extinct should of we just imported a bunch of Kodiak Bears to Montana? Both Grizzlies

Complete changing the subject dodge. You do it all the time.

Wrong on something? Adopt a different argument and act like thats what you said to start with.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019139 01/01/18 02:42 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Again Indians had a barter system before Europeans, thus why a South America bird is in NM...

Sorry stub Im not allowed to respond to you in conversation per NP

Stubs monetary reasons statement was in reference to the buffalo. Its right up there. ^^^^^

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019151 01/01/18 02:48 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
No, I dont.

You do it constantly.

Complete changing the subject dodge. You do it all the time.

Wrong on something? Adopt a different argument and act like thats what you said to start with.

Seriously TomBaty and I where speaking about the authors Flores views.. and you interject, with out even knowing the authors views or why.

Havent dodge any subject and my statement is the same.

Are you drunk? Drunk trolling aint cool

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019156 01/01/18 02:50 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
And now to the ad hominems - the final step. I know I cannot respond at this point. Good night.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019166 01/01/18 02:56 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Stubs monetary reasons statement was in reference to the buffalo. Its right up there. ^^^^^

What part of whiteman and Indian do you not understand. Indian had a barter(Monetary)system way before Europeans step foot on NA. The almost Demise of the buffalo was Indian AND whiteman. Whats hard about that? Stud just said whiteman had a monetary interest, all I said was so did Indians, it just accelerated with Europeans, and then comments on wolves.

Anyway-
Both authors even commented that the re-introduction of the horse would of caused the demise of the Buffalo with out the white man ever stepping foot in North America

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019174 01/01/18 02:59 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
And now to the ad hominems - the final step. I know I cannot respond at this point. Good night.

Its about time!

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019192 01/01/18 03:11 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'm so glad you boys are getting along. 'Gives me hope for the new year.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019194 01/01/18 03:12 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
grin

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019200 01/01/18 03:19 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And you can't argue with the big man...

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019244 01/01/18 03:45 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019325 01/01/18 04:51 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

As a matter of fact the reintroduction has helped balance the ecosystem!

Please share with all where you come up with a Hybrid that is 30% bigger??

Last edited by Stub; 01/01/18 05:09 AM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Creekrunner] #7019333 01/01/18 04:54 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
And you can't argue with the big man...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019407 01/01/18 06:06 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There's a registered herd of NA Bison up the road from me. All I can say is, the bulls are as big as D-8's, and the calves are friggin' ugly as can be. GF and I decided it's definitely a natural defense mechanism. They're so ugly coyotes probably puke looking at them.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019416 01/01/18 06:11 AM
G
gusick Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Replacing inland grizzlies with Kodiaks is an interesting idea. It's not necessary because inland grizzlies aren't extinct and they already occupy most of their remaining habitat. The reason I think it's relevant is because a similar idea has been proposed before. A few years ago, several groups lobbied for introducing grizzlies from the GYE into some of the remaining habitat of the extinct Mexican grizzly bear range in the Southwest.

If it were not for locals shooting all of them onsite, I think it would work. The Gila/Mogollon complex hasn't changed much in the last 70 since grizzlies lived there. I think it would still support a few grizzlies, I don't think it ever supported a high density of grizzlies.

The Mexican grizzlies were smaller and more adapted to dry climates than the GYE grizzlies. That was a point that was emphasized by opponents of the reintroduction. That is true but the same can be said of the elk in the area. That region was Merriam's elk territory until the 20th century. Merriam's elk were extinct in the early 20th century and Rocky Mountain elk from Yellowstone were reintroduced and they have thrived every since.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019738 01/01/18 04:06 PM
J
John Deer Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Thanks to Dogcatcher for the timeline. The demise of the buffalo and the subsequent removal of the plains indians to reservation
marked the beginning of the end of the "Wild West.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Stub] #7019743 01/01/18 04:08 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
determined
Online Content
determined
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

I have my moments, obviously I am not the only one. Gray wolves were the indigenous wolves of Yellowstone and that was what was captured and reintroduced from the same genus out of Canada, so what is your dense point?

There's so much controversy from all sides about that subject that it's impossible to sort out any facts. Everyone can cite some study backing up their claims.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7019806 01/01/18 04:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

There's so much controversy from all sides about that subject that it's impossible to sort out any facts. Everyone can cite some study backing up their claims.

Its not impossible to sort out facts from speculation.

Manifest Destiny/westward expansion of white America almost wiped out the American Bison = Fact.
The final blows that wiped out tens of millions of them took place over a short 20 year period = Fact.

That Indians would have eventually wiped them out anyway because they had horses (introduced by outsiders and in widespread use for two centuries before the bisons extirpation) = Useless, unsupported and almost certainly wrong. Pure speculation-the opposite of fact.

Without white men there would have been no guns, no railroads, no commercial markets, none of the huge upheavals/changes brought by European influx.

Talk about romanticizing to assuage guilt, deny reality, change the subject, whatever - thats the very definition of it.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019813 01/01/18 04:54 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Buffaloed: The Myth and Reality of Bison in America

https://fee.org/articles/buffaloed-the-myth-and-reality-of-bison-in-america/

Quote:
Notions that "pre-capitalist" Indians lived in harmony with nature-especially the buffalo-are thoroughly exploded in the new works by these anthropologists and historians. Indians used the tools at their disposal, mostly fire and cunning, to hunt buffalo. "Box burning," a common tactic, involved setting simultaneous fires on all four sides of a herd. The French word "Brul," or "burnt," referred to the Sicangu ("burnt thigh") Sioux division whose survivors of hunting fires were burned on the legs. Charles McKenzie, traveling the plains in 1804, observed entire herds charred from Indian fires. Another favored hunting tactic, the "buffalo jump," involved luring a herd after an Indian dressed in a buffalo skin. At a full run, the brave led the herd to a cliff, where he leapt to a small ledge while the buffalo careened over the edge to their deaths. Either of these methods led to horrible waste and inefficient use of resources.

Quote:
The ultimate problem, however, was lack of property rights. One trader observed that the moving habits of the Plains Indians "prevent the accumulation of much baggage. . . . Thus personal property cannot be acquired to any amount."2 Lacking the ability to store a surplus, the Indians acquired none. While their communal heritage encouraged them to band together in hard times, the lack of surplus meat or robes meant that they only shared scarcity. A powerful myth emerged-one repeated in many textbooks-that the Indians "used every part of the buffalo," implying that the Plains Indians used all the buffalo they killed. That was not the case. Estimates made in the 1850s suggest that Indians harvested about 450,000 animals a year, and some think the figure was far higher than that. After stripping the best meat and some useful parts, the Indians left the remainder to rot. The stench permeated the prairie for miles, and many a pioneer came across acres of bones from buffalo killed by the Indians before they moved on.

Quote:
Westward expansion of whites and trade between whites and Indians produced two significant changes, one more destructive than the other. The first-already mentioned-was that Indians shifted from a farming to a nomadic, hunting lifestyle. More important, as American settlers pushed west, both the Indians and the buffalo constituted an impediment to further expansion. A thriving buffalo-hide trade already existed with Indian hunters, but by the 1860s, a new wave of white hunters, using modern firearms and industrial processing methods vastly expanded the slaughter of the bison. This had three purposes: (1) it fed railroad workers and some western markets; (2) it continued to provide robes and hides to tanneries; and (3) it provided a way to get rid of the Indian by eliminating his food supply.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019820 01/01/18 04:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Yes. And only the post-1860 events in the final paragraph that vastly expanded the slaughter led to their virtual disappearance.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: TurkeyHunter] #7019836 01/01/18 05:06 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Dont disagree but the peaceful coexist non- surplus toting Indian view is a myth.
Indian participated heavily in killing buffalo for barter before the whiteman and it intensified with bartering to whiteman.

The whiteman didnt single handly go out and kill all the buffalos as it has been stated on here, it was a joint effort.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019839 01/01/18 05:07 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yes. And only the post-1860 events in the final paragraph that vastly expanded the slaughter led to their virtual disappearance.

Of course! Obviously the first few million had nothing to do with it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide