Forums46
Topics543,236
Posts9,796,055
Members87,448
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Buck25-06] #7017601 12/31/17 01:54 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Buck25-06
My cousin found correspondance between my family's early settlers in Weiland Texas back to kin in Tennessee they said that there were deer and buffalo in abundance.around 1850's. Do you think this was so?

Yes.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7017640 12/31/17 02:21 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Do ou think the Indians would have preferred Mathews or bowtech?

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Stub] #7017699 12/31/17 03:14 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
The problem with history is it's just as biased as the person who writes it down, just as truthful and the same goes with those who pass it on.

So true up

Writers like to embellish to makes their stories grandeur for fame and fortune, generational story tellers are just that story tellers and we all know how facts and information gets distorted from one teller of the story to the next.

Recorded history is imperfect to be sure because, as they say, it is almost always written by the winners. That was especially true up through the 19th century. It has become less and less true as we entered the modern age. More sources of information have become available-and reputable historians have taken a much more in depth approach. Many of the old historical maxims have now been re-examined and we now have a much more comprehensive view of historical events than we used to.

If someone truly wants to have an informed view, the thing to do is learn and study (with a critical but open mind) about whatever the subject is - not just assume its all bunk and then make up their own spin or assumptions about it. Which seems to be the approach of many regarding many different subjects these days.

There is pretty much a war on education and learning these days being waged by many. Its pretty scary, actually.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7017904 12/31/17 11:46 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Do ou think the Indians would have preferred Mathews or bowtech?

Hoyt of course. This actually leads into another part of the native life and it was the European influence through trade and other means. Metal arrowheads were manufactured and traded to the natives at one time. I've found a few of the old metal trade points on a draw south of Stanton. Trading for guns was another big game changer in the life of the natives giving them a much better advantage in hunting and battle. It seems from history that the natives jumped on any technology that was advantageous to them. One of the most prized possessions of a man at that time was a steel blade knife usually bartered for with the trade of hides or horses. With the hide trade going strong the natives were able to gain access to the most sought after tools of the Europeans and that was firearms. With firearms the Natives were able to get more hides allowing them to get more weapons gaining advantages in both hunting and defense.The Native Americans were in awe of the weapons carried by the Europeans.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: SherpaPhil] #7018057 12/31/17 03:13 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
Read American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. It addresses a lot of these questions and tells you where the research came from. Very informative. Dan Flores' American Serengeti is also very good. Flores was one of the first academics to suggest that native Americans slaughtered buffalo to buy rifles and other goods from white traders.

I have read both books and highly recommend both as well. Flores is also occasionally on Rinella's Meateater podcast as well and is quite informative.

Last edited by NDN98; 12/31/17 03:20 PM.
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: NDN98] #7018168 12/31/17 04:55 PM
T
TomBaty Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: NDN98
Read American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. It addresses a lot of these questions and tells you where the research came from. Very informative. Dan Flores' American Serengeti is also very good. Flores was one of the first academics to suggest that native Americans slaughtered buffalo to buy rifles and other goods from white traders.

I have read both books and highly recommend both as well. Flores is also occasionally on Rinella's Meateater podcast as well and is quite informative.

I read Rinella's book recently and am still working my way through Flores's. Flores's book is an interesting read, even though I disagree with a lot of his stances, especially considering feral horse herds. He's on the side that feral horse herds should be allowed to roam the plains because evolutionary/fossil evidence suggests that horses evolved in North America and migrated to Europe. Using that same train of thought, though, you could argue that cave bears and steppe lions should be reintroduced, should you be able to clone one from fossilized DNA. Horses went extinct in North America for a reason; reintroduction is an anthropological influence on the ecosystem. While we do that all the time, doing so and claiming it's the restoration of the natural order is contradictory.

That's all off-topic, sorry, but yes they're very interesting books worth reading. I'm a young world theorist, and don't believe in speciation, which much of the book deals with, but there's lots in there worth reading. Flores certainly let his personal views flavor the text, but its his book to do with as he pleases and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it!

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7018226 12/31/17 05:41 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
determined
determined
By the time we started recording and studying much, disease had changed a lot of the Native North American culture. There is less known about the cultures prior to Columbus.

Science can have some ideas and theories basically from studying their refuse and trash.

Regardless of anyone's spin, the US committed genocide against the Native American people. Not judging it right or wrong. That's just what happened.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: HWY_MAN] #7018348 12/31/17 07:11 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
determined
determined
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Well lets start with the first part referencing 30 to 60 million Buffalo. That number has no validity at all, how could it?

They were shot for their hides, bones and anything else of value but I've yet to confirm they were shot to starve out the natives.

I think it's safe to say there were a heck of a lot of bison.

In my study of history as a hobby I came to the conclusion they were not shot to starve out the natives or that was an official policy. However, it was commented on by people of importance and "in charge" that it was sort of a bonus.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7018647 12/31/17 10:10 PM
R
ralph Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
"Moybe the black panthers got yore bison"...Said in an Australian accent with a nod to Seinfeld smile

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7018969 01/01/18 12:52 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The native Americans had no role in the disappearance of the bison from 1865-1880. Im not saying they were perfect stewards of them or saints or anything else. But they were not the reason for their demise.

The timing alone would tell anyone that. They were fine for tens of thousands of years with the natives and then -bam- they were gone in 15 years because of them?

Uhhhh, no.

IDK about today, but in my day there were certainly no white guilt issues in my textbooks. The Founders, Texas Revolutionaries, and Confederates were only about a half-step below Jesus.

Actually thats incorrect, infact native Americans killed the last Canadian herd. They where also a large part of the buffulo trade.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7018990 01/01/18 01:03 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I dont feel like arguing with you, so change no to insignificant or infinitesimal if you like.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: TomBaty] #7018991 01/01/18 01:03 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: TomBaty

I read Rinella's book recently and am still working my way through Flores's. Flores's book is an interesting read, even though I disagree with a lot of his stances, especially considering feral horse herds. He's on the side that feral horse herds should be allowed to roam the plains because evolutionary/fossil evidence suggests that horses evolved in North America and migrated to Europe. Using that same train of thought, though, you could argue that cave bears and steppe lions should be reintroduced, should you be able to clone one from fossilized DNA. Horses went extinct in North America for a reason; reintroduction is an anthropological influence on the ecosystem. While we do that all the time, doing so and claiming it's the restoration of the natural order is contradictory.

That's all off-topic, sorry, but yes they're very interesting books worth reading. I'm a young world theorist, and don't believe in speciation, which much of the book deals with, but there's lots in there worth reading. Flores certainly let his personal views flavor the text, but its his book to do with as he pleases and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because I don't agree with it doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading it!

100% same page as you. Although short nose bears would be cool in LA
Camels where once native to North America also. I personally think once a species is gone from US its gone. Wolves, should of stayed gone. Wild horse, shot them, wild burro shot them, any invasive species on public land shot them.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7018997 01/01/18 01:06 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I dont feel like arguing with you, so change no to insignificant or infinitesimal if you like.

I said large part of the buffalo trade not insignificant or infinitesimal. Romance if you want.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019009 01/01/18 01:13 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I said large part of the buffalo trade not insignificant or infinitesimal. Romance if you want.

I know I cant be right on anything BOBO, but Native Americans were not responsible for the extirpation of the American Bison. Go off on any tangent you want, it will not change that fact.
P.S. They were never a large part of the trade.
P.S.S. Who do you think they were trading with/selling them to? Hint: white men. It was our market, not theirs.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019015 01/01/18 01:18 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Camels where once native to North America also. I personally think once a species is gone from US its gone. Wolves, should of stayed gone. Wild horse, shot them, wild burro shot them, any invasive species on public land shot them.

Theres a slight distinction between species that went extinct without mans help and those that we caused to disappear. If folks had your view in 1900, we wouldnt have much to hunt now. Deer, elk, pronghorn, etc. were almost gone.

I agree on the horses and burros.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019018 01/01/18 01:23 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I know I cant be right on anything BOBO, but Native Americans were not responsible for the extirpation of the American Bison. Go off on any tangent you want, it will not change that fact.
P.S. They were never a large part of the trade.
P.S.S. Who do you think they were trading with/selling them to? Hint: white men. It was our market, not theirs.

If you killing it to trade you are part of the trade. And yes they where. There was a buffalo trade before the Europeans, How do you think macaws ended up in New Mexico.

Lol, like I said romanize if you want..

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019027 01/01/18 01:31 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Im not romanticizing anything. Im staying on topic - the topic is who is responsible for the near-extinction of the American Bison.

As usual, you are now off on stuff like there being some sort of buffalo trade before Europeans and macaws
in New Mexico - neither of which has jack to do with the subject. Obviously, that trade before white men came along did not drive them to the brink of extinction or have any significant impact on their populations.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019057 01/01/18 01:49 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019061 01/01/18 01:51 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019069 01/01/18 01:54 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Im not romanticizing anything. Im staying on topic - the topic is who is responsible for the near-extinction of the American Bison.

As usual, you are now off on stuff like there being some sort of buffalo trade before Europeans and macaws
in New Mexico - neither of which has jack to do with the subject. Obviously, that trade before white men came along did not drive them to the brink of extinction or have any significant impact on their populations.

Again You brought up a romanticized view that Native Indians had no part(and later changed to very little) part in the killing of bison from North America landscape... thats false

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019071 01/01/18 01:57 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Seriously you are dense, Almost gone is not gone but Gone is gone, My view didnt mention eradicating a native species. You cant bring back species once its gown. If you bring in a non native species from another continent or country you are playing with fire.

The original Yellowstone wolf is GONE, thus the introduction of a debatable sub species that 30% bigger thats playing with fire(example-Hydatid Disease/Echinococcus granulosus )

The current wild burros and wild horses are non native sub species, they should be gone from the public landscape.

Many of the game animals in the U.S. today are not the same subspecies that were native to their areas. Deer, elk, sheep, pronghorn, mountain goat.
Many of the WTs we hunt in TX are re-stocks from different areas. A lot of mine were from KS.
We would all be sucking wind for hunting under your theory if once its gone, keep it gone.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7019074 01/01/18 02:00 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Again You brought up a romanticized view that Native Indians had no part(and later changed to very little) part in the killing of bison from North America landscape... thats false

No, its not.

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019075 01/01/18 02:03 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Stub
[quote=BOBO the Clown]

Agree with all but the wolves. Though the white man played a role in the demise of the Buffalo mainly for monetary reasons, the wolf was targeted for trade and eradication to protect introduced live stock, this created a big void in the predator prey and balance of other smaller predators.

White man and Native Indians played a role for monetary reasons.

The Mexican wolf should of been recovered by all means, as it is in NM, AZ and MX Now the introduction into Yellowstone should of not happened. Big void always gets filled if allowed to be fill. Yellowstone NP was allowed to get to 17k elk. It could of easy been brought down to and/ or kept at post Wolf numbers(4K) by hunting

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7019090 01/01/18 02:15 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Many of the game animals in the U.S. today are not the same subspecies that were native to their areas. Deer, elk, sheep, pronghorn, mountain goat.
Many of the WTs we hunt in TX are re-stocks from different areas. A lot of mine were from KS.
We would all be sucking wind for hunting under your theory if once its gone, keep it gone.

Camels, burro/horses became extinct in all forms across NA, x thousands of years ago, they in their current wild flora should not be on public land, nor aoudad, nor pheasants nor ibex..

Elk are not gone from the Land scape, nor Mule deer, nor pronghorn nor Whitetails Etc. They in general are not gone. Relocating them to non traditional areas is tricky and can have sever effects but non the less they are minimal compared to introduction of a species thats been gone from the continent for xxxxx amount of years.

I do find your agruement hilarious since you say the exact opposite when it comes to CWD and HFs

Re: Friday Discussion Topic-the Great American Bison [Re: txtrophy85] #7019099 01/01/18 02:22 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
No, I dont.

I find your inability to stay on topic, make sweeping generalizations, and then try to dig yourself out of holes by going off down Alices rabbit hole with all sorts of strange non-topical crap hilarious too.

You do it constantly.

Youre once its gone, it should stay gone broadside is silly, and the antithesis of the entire North American conservation model you claim to adhere to. Many native species were gone from their native areas by the turn of the 20th century. Under your view, it should have stayed that way. You obviously have not a clue about what wildlife conservation is, much less support it.

I agreed with you on the horses and burros. They were never native species.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide