Print Thread
Spring Creek Greenway. #6813516 07/05/17 11:44 PM
B
Blackrain Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
It’s time to open the Spring Creek Greenway to hunters and trappers. I have seen several articles written by anti-hunters and trappers who manage the Spring Creek Greenway. I notice that Texas Parks and Wildlife are supporting them, with money paid from our hunting licenses. The greenway wildlife is out of balance and needs to be managed. There is over 12,000 acres, some paid with our hunting licenses, it’s only right that since we have paid for part of it, there should be a hunting season.

If anyone knows someone at TPW, we should push this issue, after all, we paid for some of it.

Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6813571 07/06/17 12:20 AM
E
Elkhunter49 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I've never heard of the Spring Creek Greenway, where is it?

A true friend reaches for your hand but touches your heart.
Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6813681 07/06/17 01:42 AM
B
Blackrain Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Splits Harris and Montgomery County

Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6813719 07/06/17 02:19 AM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Here is a map: Spring Creek Greenway.

I lived at the end of Spring Creek Drive in the late seventies through near the end of eighties and I had a deer lease at the present sight of Pundt Park. The land was in both Harris and Montgomery Counties but you had to wade across the creek to get into Montgomery County. Spring Creek Drive ended about 3 to 400 yards shy of Spring Creek at the time. I was a bowhunter back then, shot a recurve, and killed a buck every year. The fishing along the Creek was excellent. There were two of us on the place. The whole length of Spring Creek Drive, along the south side of the road, was deer leases. To the east of us and east of the Creek in Montgomery County was a very large deer lease, 12K to 15K acres. The hunters entered that place in north Harris County, but east of I45. There was a crossing on the creek back then. There were no public roads northeast through east between the Creek and the San Jacinto River during this period.

In the late '80s, I found a 2K acre lease in very northern Harris County along Spring Creek, it was great hunting. I left that area in the early '90s and have never been back. I don't want to see how its changed as during the period that I was there the woods along Cypress and Spring Creek were absolutely beautiful and remote.

[Linked Image]
Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6813752 07/06/17 02:40 AM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Wishful thinking, Blackrain. Too many people living there now. I hunted at the end of Rayford Rd. when I was in high school back in the 60's and let me tell you, it was remote! I bet there are still some big bucks running in those creek and river bottoms.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6813837 07/06/17 09:10 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
That are is pretty much a part of the metro now....people are living all around that area.

Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Ranch Dog] #6814061 07/06/17 04:04 PM
B
Blackrain Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B

I remember those days too. It has changed for the worse, the government and liberal wacko's took it away from private ownership in the name of conservation and destroy it. It was much better shape in private hands and they paid taxes. Since hunters pay for some it, they should allow hunting on parts of it, even if it's just bow hunting. The small game has been all but wipe out, some parts turned into a dump ground, glass bottles and trash in the creek.

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

I lived at the end of Spring Creek Drive in the late seventies through near the end of eighties and I had a deer lease at the present sight of Pundt Park. The land was in both Harris and Montgomery Counties but you had to wade across the creek to get into Montgomery County. Spring Creek Drive ended about 3 to 400 yards shy of Spring Creek at the time. I was a bowhunter back then, shot a recurve, and killed a buck every year. The fishing along the Creek was excellent. There were two of us on the place. The whole length of Spring Creek Drive, along the south side of the road, was deer leases. To the east of us and east of the Creek in Montgomery County was a very large deer lease, 12K to 15K acres. The hunters entered that place in north Harris County, but east of I45. There was a crossing on the creek back then. There were no public roads northeast through east between the Creek and the San Jacinto River during this period.

In the late '80s, I found a 2K acre lease in very northern Harris County along Spring Creek, it was great hunting. I left that area in the early '90s and have never been back. I don't want to see how its changed as during the period that I was there the woods along Cypress and Spring Creek were absolutely beautiful and remote.

Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Blackrain] #6814094 07/06/17 04:49 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Blackrain

I remember those days too. It has changed for the worse, the government and liberal wacko's took it away from private ownership in the name of conservation and destroy it. It was much better shape in private hands and they paid taxes. Since hunters pay for some it, they should allow hunting on parts of it, even if it's just bow hunting. The small game has been all but wipe out, some parts turned into a dump ground, glass bottles and trash in the creek.

I lived at the end of Spring Creek Drive in the late seventies through near the end of eighties and I had a deer lease at the present sight of Pundt Park. The land was in both Harris and Montgomery Counties but you had to wade across the creek to get into Montgomery County. Spring Creek Drive ended about 3 to 400 yards shy of Spring Creek at the time. I was a bowhunter back then, shot a recurve, and killed a buck every year. The fishing along the Creek was excellent. There were two of us on the place. The whole length of Spring Creek Drive, along the south side of the road, was deer leases. To the east of us and east of the Creek in Montgomery County was a very large deer lease, 12K to 15K acres. The hunters entered that place in north Harris 'County, but east of I45. There was a crossing on the creek back then. There were no public roads northeast through east between the Creek and the San Jacinto River during this period.

An employee of the Nature Center that's near the Greenway recently reported on FB how a Copperhead snake had been "brutally killed" on one of their nature trails.

Protection of "venomous snakes" is becoming chic even in the hunting community it seems. And whatever you do, don't call them "poisonous".

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Spring Creek Greenway. [Re: Texas Dan] #6814181 07/06/17 06:53 PM
B
Blackrain Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/hou...ets-6501383.php

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: Blackrain

I lived at the end of Spring Creek Drive in the late seventies through near the end of eighties and I had a deer lease at the present sight of Pundt Park. The land was in both Harris and Montgomery Counties but you had to wade across the creek to get into Montgomery County. Spring Creek Drive ended about 3 to 400 yards shy of Spring Creek at the time. I was a bowhunter back then, shot a recurve, and killed a buck every year. The fishing along the Creek was excellent. There were two of us on the place. The whole length of Spring Creek Drive, along the south side of the road, was deer leases. To the east of us and east of the Creek in Montgomery County was a very large deer lease, 12K to 15K acres. The hunters entered that place in north Harris 'County, but east of I45. There was a crossing on the creek back then. There were no public roads northeast through east between the Creek and the San Jacinto River during this period.

An employee of the Nature Center that's near the Greenway recently reported on FB how a Copperhead snake had been "brutally killed" on one of their nature trails.

Protection of "venomous snakes" is becoming chic even in the hunting community it seems. And whatever you do, don't call them "poisonous".

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide