Print Thread
Bird Hunting Books #6771105 05/22/17 12:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Since I'm fairly new to this game but enjoy it so much, I began reading lots of books about upland game hunting.
Wow, am I impressed! Guys like Nash Buckingham, Havilah Babcock, George Bird Evans, Burton Spiller, Gene Hill, and others.

Some of the best writing ever done has come from the pens and typewriters of bird hunters who loved nothing better than taking their dogs afield.

Interestingly, the newer guys writing seem to try too hard to sound like the guys long gone - and just can't pull it off.

Any other good author/book recommendations?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6771518 05/22/17 07:33 PM
elhewpointerguy Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6781860 06/02/17 03:45 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Some of the best writing ever done has come from the pens and typewriters of bird hunters who loved nothing better than taking their dogs afield.

I couldn't agree more.
I can recommend a book I just finished. It's not bird hunting, though there is some bird shooting in it.
It's called "Goodbye to a River" by John Graves.
Excellent read.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: reeltexan] #6782059 06/02/17 07:44 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

I couldn't agree more.
I can recommend a book I just finished. It's not bird hunting, though there is some bird shooting in it.
Excellent read.

One of my favorites.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Graves in person before he died. He was an intensely private man, but (then) wife of the governor Laura Bush persuaded him to do a reading from the (then) recently published "A John Graves Reader" to benefit the Texas Book Society. The tickets were $250 each and it was held at the Nieman-Marcus store in Dallas. I only bought one ticket and went by myself. As you might imagine, it was full of fancy, highbrow wealthy Dallas socialites. I enjoyed the reading though.

As I was walking out, Mr.Graves was seated on a fountain outside waiting on his wife to bring their car around. I was not going to say anything, but he called me over and said, "Son, why are you here by yourself - to be honest you looked a little uncomfortable and out of place?" I responded, "Because I love your writings sir and they have meant a lot to me. I believe I can feel what you feel as I read your books."

He then spent 15-20 minutes visiting with me about my background, my family, hunting, and a bunch of other stuff. All as his wife waited in the car.

I love to tell that story. It is by far my favorite "celebrity" encounter - even though very few people knew who he was. He signed my book with a very nice personal note.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782083 06/02/17 08:16 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I like this one. It's dated but the author is an entertaining old dog trainer.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782166 06/02/17 09:38 PM
C
cattle69 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: reeltexan

I couldn't agree more.
Excellent read.

One of my favorites.

Had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Graves in person before he died. He was an intensely private man, but (then) wife of the governor Laura Bush persuaded him to do a reading from the (then) recently published "A John Graves Reader" to benefit the Texas Book Society. The tickets were $250 each and it was held at the Nieman-Marcus store in Dallas. I only bought one ticket and went by myself. As you might imagine, it was full of fancy, highbrow wealthy Dallas socialites. I enjoyed the reading though.

As I was walking out, Mr.Graves was seated on a fountain outside waiting on his wife to bring their car around. I was not going to say anything, but he called me over and said, "Son, why are you here by yourself - to be honest you looked a little uncomfortable and out of place?" I responded, "Because I love your writings sir and they have meant a lot to me. I believe I can feel what you feel as I read your books."

He then spent 15-20 minutes visiting with me about my background, my family, hunting, and a bunch of other stuff. All as his wife waited in the car.

I love to tell that story. It is by far my favorite "celebrity" encounter - even though very few people knew who he was. He signed my book with a very nice personal note.

So which one of his books should you start with?

[Linked Image]
President and cofounder of magical pellet club.
Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782179 06/02/17 10:05 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Start with a short story called "The Last Running".
Then "Goodbye To A River".
Then "Hardscrabble" and "From A Limestone Ledge".
Then "Myself and Strangers".

"My Dogs and Guns" obviously fits in with this forum, but is very short.

That's pretty much his repertoire.

"A John Graves Reader" has a sampling of all of his writing.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782247 06/03/17 12:03 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

This book is a great read. I had my oldest boy read it after I did. I told him the old man in the book reminded me of my grandfather, who taught me everything I know about being a man.

He asked why his grandfather wasn't like that. I told him the last pointer my dad tried to train, I saw him beating her with a belt running down the street. He gave that gyp to my grandfather and the old man made a great one out of her just like every other animal he owned. Patience isn't one of my dads virtues.

My old grandfather could beat a dog senseless but did it at the right time, and trained a lot of dogs others had given up on.

I saw him take a gunshy pointer that had been shot up too much, and work with him for months getting him used to a shotgun that he'd run at the sight of and turn him into one of our best mutts.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782332 06/03/17 02:12 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
^^^^ One of the best of all time.^^^^

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782348 06/03/17 02:32 AM
G
georgia-bird-hunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Agreed

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6782865 06/03/17 09:54 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Just ordered:

Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman
by J Evetts Haley

The Texas Trail Drivers

Cow People by
Frank Dobie.

...can't wait.

[Linked Image]

"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." Ronald Reagan

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: scalebuster] #6808153 06/29/17 08:19 PM
G
GA DOG 2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY. Is my favorite book of all times!!!! Must have read it 20 times.

Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6815169 07/07/17 04:59 PM
A
Alfonso Smith Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A
I have some ebook about hunting, do you like it?

Hello!
Re: Bird Hunting Books [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6815885 07/08/17 02:42 AM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
If you are interested in field trials and bird dog lore, I recommend any of the Tom Word books.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide