Page 1 of 2 1 2
What size tractor? #6702630 03/11/17 09:16 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Acreage is 400, several food plots already established in the 1-2 acre range and would need for mowing road that are already established. Might want to put in some larger spring plots in the future but not right away, would
Prefer to have one tractor do all but not sure having a larger tractor do smal work is preferable either....

I know it's hard to say without seeing property, but based on your experience, what hp tractor should I be looking at?

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702672 03/11/17 10:06 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
PM Navasot. He sells them and is very knowledgeable.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702679 03/11/17 10:16 PM
S
swmays Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm no expert, but I keep two 1.5 acre food plots going. Done it for three years now with a 30hp tractor. Works fine, but the new has worn off the process. Would much rather have a 40 to 50hp tractor with larger, heavier tools.

"several" to me means you have more than two. Go with something larger than 30...

2cents

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #6702692 03/11/17 10:33 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
PM Navasot. He sells them and is very knowledgeable.
cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702704 03/11/17 10:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Based on what I have learned from ranchers, tractors in 50+ hp range and used more for carrying large, round bales of hay. The size and weight will also determine the size of the disk you can carry and work. Whatever size you buy, the hp output will dictate the size of the mower, keeping in mind that engine hp and PTO hp are always different since some torque is lost in the gears between the two. Just depends on which one is used in the manufacturer's specs. Obviously, a wider mower means fewer passes to mow a given area, but also make the engine run hotter, especially in 98 degree heat.

Based on what you noted earlier, I would suggest something around 40 hp, which should handle a six foot mower and disk very easily. The rule of thumb is 5hp for every foot of mower. I prefer to put a smaller mower than the max since deer lease mowing can often get into high growth on hot days.

Whether or not you want and need a front-end loader is another question to ask yourself.

Basically, it seems tractor purchases are based on the heaviest work they will see, be it lifting, mowing, or disking. If you want to carry large round bales on the front and back, you need something beyond 50 hp. The implements are then sized accordingly.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/11/17 11:12 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702805 03/12/17 01:14 AM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I have several tractors.
Like gun safes, always buy a bigger one than you think you need.
You'll find all sorts of things on 400 acres to use one for.

I'd suggest a heavy full size 60hp, I'd buy a 75+hp.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702826 03/12/17 01:35 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Yes, for that much land 75+

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702887 03/12/17 02:56 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I agree with getting a big tractor. When I was really researching them I found that HP can mean
2 things.
1) Engine HP
2) HP at the PTO
If you can afford it, get one with about 100 Engine HP. I think that will equate to mid 80's PTO HP. In addition, get a FEL. If you take it one notch higher and get FWA (4wheel drive) you will be able to pull a serious disk that will really till the soil.

Last edited by pharmvet; 03/12/17 03:02 AM.
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702941 03/12/17 03:51 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Prefer to have one tractor do all but not sure having a larger tractor do smal work is preferable either....

I think some here believe you're going to be working a 400 acre field. Your OP suggest you need something to work no more than a dozen acres of food plots (if that much) and mow some trails. Correct?

You could put a 15-ft bat wing mower behind a 100hp tractor. Does that match your needs? Could be wrong, but I suspect you're looking at something capable of mowing a path less than half that.

We use an old Ford 5610 (72 hp) for the heavier work on our lease, which includes an a 8-ft mower and disk. It's plenty for our needs. We use a much smaller and lighter 28 hp tractor and 5-ft mower for mowing the roads, as well as occasional food plot work.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 03/12/17 04:12 AM.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702949 03/12/17 04:05 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Eventually, you will probably end up with a smaller tractor and a larger tractor. About the only time I think my tractor is too large is when I want to haul it and I need a flat deck trailer.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702977 03/12/17 05:09 AM
TKM Offline
Tracker
Tracker
On one of the ranches I hunt the owner has several tractors, bought four new Kubotas last year. New JD 550 dozer, new Kobelco track hoe. My Dad and myself are always helping out when we are there hunting, be it working cattle, building/repairing corrals, building ponds, etc and he let's us use anything he has anytime we need it. A few years ago we found an old Massey Ferguson 65 for $1100. Had been setting for a few years, tires were great, seat and a few other items needed replacing, sheet metal was all straight, had some rust. We put maybe $450 into it. With everything the rancher has available for us to use, I find myself using my 65 for most of the brush hogging. Main reason is it is just plain handy to get around, under, through, brush/trees, under branches. At a little over 40 db hp and 50 pto hp it handles a 6ft brush hog just fine, can pull two 14's or 16's if needed. Not much to go wrong with it,cheap to work on, implements are economical, etc. Less tractor, more money for toys/guns. For working a few food plots of a couple acres each you don't need much tractor.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702991 03/12/17 05:46 AM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Get a FEL. 4WD too. I would go at least 50 HP& if you can afford it I would go 75 HP.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6702998 03/12/17 06:20 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Acreage is 400, several food plots already established in the 1-2 acre range and would need for mowing road that are already established. Might want to put in some larger spring plots in the future but not right away, would

I know it's hard to say without seeing property, but based on your experience, what hp tractor should I be looking at?

I've been very happy with my John Deere 4720 - 66 HP. Anything in that size range should suit you well. You need 4-wheel drive, hydrostatic transmission, front end loader. A 6' rotary mower will probably do everything you need. A Frontier DH1066 disc harrow will do wonders. You will probably need a 6' wide box blade at some point.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/12/17 06:21 AM.
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703015 03/12/17 10:52 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I put in over 50 acres in food plots in this year, and no telling how many miles of shredding roads. This is a Mahindra 61hp(bought from Nav), I've been impressed with it per its horsepower, which says a lot since my tractors are 300hp w/ Implements ment for production. 60hp is about as small as I would ever go, but I'm also not real patience.

Only time more HP isn't always better is when you are shredding under trees. More HP taller cab.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703138 03/12/17 03:14 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
Lots of good advice, but you didn't mention what your budget is? Cab will cost more, but then you can work longer and be more productive when it's super hot out or cold out in a cab. If you have a lot of bugs, and stinging insects, a cab can be a life saver. And while some people justify not having a cab because they don't know how to avoid driving into trees while mowing, there is that added benefit of not having a branch slap you in the face every time you get too close to those trees.

I have a six foot bush hog and I would never want anything smaller. It's too small for my land and I only have 68 acres. A six foot trail is barely wide enough to walk down. I know it sounds like plenty, but what you don't mow bends over onto the trail, making that six feet a lot less. I mow all my trails three times, going wider with every pass. To me, that's a comfortable width for walking on or driving the Mule on. My wife walks the dogs and goes jogging on those trails too and lets me know when they are not wide enough.

40 hp 4x4 with a loader would be the bare minimum, and in my opinion, nowhere near enough tractor for long term use.

My next tractor is going to be in the 80 hp range so I can pull a 15 foot batwing. My neighbor has 240 acres and he just bought that, and he says it was worth every penny!!! I believe him.

Most of the big name brands, like Deere and Kubota are always offering zero percent interest deals to buy brand new. When you see what's available used, and what condition it's in, new becomes a serious option.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703195 03/12/17 04:05 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What EddieWalker says is worth listening to. I have the 40 hp fwd Kubota with bucket, 6'ft bush hog, and other implements. I actually shred about 25 acres and various roads through the woods, and it's enough, but I'd go bigger next time. At least 50 hp. As for the cab, I don't have one now, but can mow/work at my convenience, so it isn't a problem. But if I had a time schedule to meet, I'd get a cab tractor. Only real worry about that is cost, like replacing glass and a/c work. That can cost you.

I can only guess what a good 15 ft batwing would cost. Gonna hurt, for sure.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: What size tractor? [Re: AvianQuest] #6703237 03/12/17 04:38 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

I've been very happy with my John Deere 4720 - 66 HP. Anything in that size range should suit you well. You need 4-wheel drive, hydrostatic transmission, front end loader. A 6' rotary mower will probably do everything you need. A Frontier DH1066 disc harrow will do wonders. You will probably need a 6' wide box blade at some point.

I have this exact same tractor (but mine has been worked harder than his) and I agree with AQ. I have three tractors, this one 58 hp, a 34hp Ford NAA, and a 23hp JD 445. The little tractor has a 5' shredder and a 5' dozer blade. It can do most of what the big tractor can do but not near as fast and you gotta be careful not to damage your equipment.

On the lease the difference became crystal when my buddy started working his Kabota (~40hp) and couldn't clear shooting lanes through the brush. He and the rest of the guys just stood and watched as I drove right through and cleared several lanes very quickly.

Tractor work is hard work. Get the right tool to get it done quickly and correctly.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703447 03/12/17 08:56 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
OP hasn't posted again but your budget is everything. I have a Kubota 8540 which is no longer offered but an 85 hp/4WD. It does everything I need; field work to include moldboarding and root plowing, shredding, row planting food plots, 8' tiller, etc. Front end loader has grappling claws, post hole digger, sappling shears, etc. Nice, low profile cab tractor makes it easy to work around brush and under trees.

[Linked Image]
Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703506 03/12/17 10:29 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Appreciate all the info so far, I tend to be a bit once cry once type so over buying into the 75-80hp range is probably lay where I will end up. Definitely will go with a FEL and implements as needed. I have not ever bought or even looked at tractors, but the town close to the land has JD and Kubota dealers. I am Not Opposed to either as they both seem like solid performers, but wonder if there are any absolute pluses or Minuses in either those two brands in what will Likely be a 75-90hp cab tractor with FEL. Or anything else I need to consider for food plotting, potentially some hay work, and general ranch work?

Budget isn't an issue, although I don't mind saving money if I can, I know this won't be a cheap Purchase.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703515 03/12/17 10:38 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I do also expect at some point to have a smaller reactor And a bigger tractor. Funny thing was I was thinking that same idea when I read that post on here.

A smaller 25-35 hp for smaller mowing work and the bigger tractor for heavier work....

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Cast] #6703518 03/12/17 10:51 PM
D
Dustnsand Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Cast
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

I have this exact same tractor (but mine has been worked harder than his) and I agree with AQ. I have three tractors, this one 58 hp, a 34hp Ford NAA, and a 23hp JD 445. The little tractor has a 5' shredder and a 5' dozer blade. It can do most of what the big tractor can do but not near as fast and you gotta be careful not to damage your equipment.

On the lease the difference became crystal when my buddy started working his Kabota (~40hp) and couldn't clear shooting lanes through the brush. He and the rest of the guys just stood and watched as I drove right through and cleared several lanes very quickly.

Tractor work is hard work. Get the right tool to get it done quickly and correctly.

Tractor work is easy. Try doing the same by hand grin

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703697 03/13/17 01:43 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I have not ever bought or even looked at tractors...

Nothing is more dangerous and unforgiving than a tractor. They are a large part of why farming is one of the most dangerous professions in the world.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas buckeye] #6703806 03/13/17 03:46 AM
H
HornSlayer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I just replaced my 30 year old Jap made Massey that was 18 horse at the PTO with a similar 1526 Mahindra shuttle. Both are 4wd and I can tell you it makes a huge difference. What sold me on these is the bucket with the bracket can be removed when not needed. I use a 6' finish mower 95% of the time. When I have some heavy brush clearing I have a really old Brush Hog that will shred a 3" diameter post oak sapling.

Remember two tractors are better than one!

They make ammo specifically for hunting for a reason! nidea
Re: What size tractor? [Re: HornSlayer] #6703839 03/13/17 04:46 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer

This is especially true when one of them is resting on both axles in the mud.

Re: What size tractor? [Re: Texas Dan] #6703960 03/13/17 01:40 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer

This is especially true when one of them is resting on both axles in the mud.

Yes, I had that happen to me "3" times last year..I must be a slow learner....thank god I got helpful neighbors that take pity on this old man.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide