Forums46
Topics538,056
Posts9,732,529
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning #6693597 03/03/17 03:20 PM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6693636 03/03/17 03:56 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
https://www.change.org/p/texas-hog-hunte...8YWY2%2floovJkf

Texas Hog Hunters Association

Mar 3, 2017 — Texas Hog Hunters Association and Wild Boar meat company successfully had an injunction placed against Sid Miller which invalidates his emergency rule for the use of a warfarin based poison to be used against Feral Hogs.

We stand firm on our no poison position and look forward to working with lawmakers in stopping this permanently.

This injunction gives us all until March 30, so we still need to be diligent in our efforts and continue to press Austin and our representatives.

We will have to take this fight to Austin so your help is greatly needed.

Thanks to everyone and please keep sharing and pushing back.

Scott Dover

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6693637 03/03/17 03:56 PM
P
png Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
smile

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: png] #6693666 03/03/17 04:18 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6693678 03/03/17 04:26 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Good

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6693763 03/03/17 05:27 PM
V
VMike Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
V
banana banana2

I have a deer problem on my hog lease!!!
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6694295 03/04/17 12:56 AM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
up

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6694554 03/04/17 08:45 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
up

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: aerangis] #6694556 03/04/17 10:03 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted By: aerangis
up

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6695119 03/05/17 12:12 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
The hysteria over this is almost laughable, and it's not all coming from the animal rights freaks.

The state isn't going to treat private property with a feral hog control substance and there are no plans to treat state lands either.

Feral hogs are currently doing 800 million in damage to farm crops and immeasurable damage to wildlife.

Folks freak out at the sight of a coyote because they eat fawns. Well hogs eat fawns as well, and they also eat food that deer depend on....coyotes don't.

The only successful eradication of feral hogs took place on Santa Cruz Island in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California where the hogs could not come back in to repopulate the area.

After many unsuccessful attempts, the National Park Service and the Nature Conservancy, which co-own the island, contracted with Prohunt, Inc. out of New Zealand to remove the feral hogs from the 96 square mile island (1/3rd the size of Cozumel). The state of Texas is 2,798 times that size.

Prohunt cross fenced the island to restrict the hogs' movement, used extensive trapping, baiting, ground hunting with teams of dogs, infrared sensing devices and radio trackers, and their most effective method, shooting them from helicopters.

It took over two years to remove the 5,036 hogs at a cost of $5 million, or $988 per pig.

After 10 years of testing, the EPA, the Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas A&M AgriLife Research has approved a hog bait that contains 0.005% Wararin.

Humans have been taking Warfarin for 60 years to prevent blood clots.

It so happens that hogs have an extremely low tolerance for Warfarin.

By law, the bait can only be purchased and dispensed by a licensed professional and it will only be placed on private properties where the landowner is willing to pay for some relief from constant hog damage. These properties will eventually be repopulated with hogs from adjacent properties where there is no hog control.

Kaput, the company that makes the bait also makes the required bait station for dispensing the bait. The bait station uses a 10-lb sliding door that has to be rooted up by the hog to get access to the bait. At first, the non-toxic version of the bait is used to get the hogs used to feeding on it. Then the door is installed and once the hogs learn to root the door up the bait with the Warfarin is used. The bait with the Warfarin has a strong blue dye in it. It may take a month to get to that point, and then the hog has to eat the bait every day for 5 to 7 days before it becomes lethal.

Vitamin K is the antidote for too much Wararin ingestion but it’s virtually impossible for wildlife or pets to consume enough Wararin from eating dead hog meat to cause any issues.

I think that less than 1% of landowners will ever spend the money to have their property treated one time, let alone more often. It is for this reason that I believe that the legalization of Warfarin won't put a dent in the hog population, but it can give some relief to farmers who have a severe hog damage problem.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/05/17 12:13 AM.
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6695233 03/05/17 01:44 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
It sure is going to reduce the number of people who consume feral hogs.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: Wilhunt] #6695328 03/05/17 03:20 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

The amount of Warfarin in the bait is extremely low, 0.005% (.00005), and the hogs have to eat a large amount of it everyday over at least 5 days.

For humans, Warfarin has saved millions of lives by managing high blood pressure and preventing blood clots and strokes.

Hogs on the other hand have a very low tolerance for Warfarin. Warfarin gets into their bloodstream and kills them through internal hemorrhaging.

I'm not a medical doctor, but if you are already on the maximum dose of Warfarin then it wouldn't be prudent to drink the blood of several dead hogs everyday if they were killed with Warfarin. I don't think you could eat enough of the meat to even get a reading.

If you were to shoot a hog that had consumed the bait from another property, you would know it when you went to skin it out since the strong blue dye in the bait colors the insides.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/05/17 07:18 PM.
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: AvianQuest] #6696568 03/06/17 11:38 AM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest

The amount of Warfarin in the bait is extremely low, 0.005% (.00005), and the hogs have to eat a large amount of it everyday over at least 5 days.

For humans, Warfarin has saved millions of lives by managing high blood pressure and preventing blood clots and strokes.

Hogs on the other hand have a very low tolerance for Warfarin. Warfarin gets into their bloodstream and kills them through internal hemorrhaging.
I'm not a medical doctor, but if you are already on the maximum dose of Warfarin then it wouldn't be prudent to drink the blood of several dead hogs everyday if they were killed with Warfarin. I don't think you could eat enough of the meat to even get a reading.

If you were to shoot a hog that had consumed the bait from another property, you would know it when you went to skin it out since the strong blue dye in the bait colors the insides.

What about birds of pray... Eagles Hawks and Owls ETC. ???

This uneducated Troll wants to know !!! wink

Last edited by 2hellandback; 03/06/17 11:48 AM.
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: AvianQuest] #6696879 03/06/17 04:24 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
[If you were to shoot a hog that had consumed the bait from another property, you would know it when you went to skin it out since the strong blue dye in the bait colors the insides.

And then what? Am I now responsible for burying the carcass that someone else poisoned?

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: 2hellandback] #6697138 03/06/17 07:31 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: 2hellandback

What about birds of pray... Eagles Hawks and Owls ETC. ???

This uneducated Troll wants to know !!! wink

they can't consume enough from a pig to hurt them, same for humans.

it is .005% go look up the warfarin blood thinners that are prescribed to humans and get back to us on dosage.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: AvianQuest] #6697141 03/06/17 07:33 PM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The hysteria over this is almost laughable, and it's not all coming from the animal rights freaks.

The state isn't going to treat private property with a feral hog control substance and there are no plans to treat state lands either.

Feral hogs are currently doing 800 million in damage to farm crops and immeasurable damage to wildlife.

Folks freak out at the sight of a coyote because they eat fawns. Well hogs eat fawns as well, and they also eat food that deer depend on....coyotes don't.

The only successful eradication of feral hogs took place on Santa Cruz Island in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of California where the hogs could not come back in to repopulate the area.

After many unsuccessful attempts, the National Park Service and the Nature Conservancy, which co-own the island, contracted with Prohunt, Inc. out of New Zealand to remove the feral hogs from the 96 square mile island (1/3rd the size of Cozumel). The state of Texas is 2,798 times that size.

Prohunt cross fenced the island to restrict the hogs' movement, used extensive trapping, baiting, ground hunting with teams of dogs, infrared sensing devices and radio trackers, and their most effective method, shooting them from helicopters.

It took over two years to remove the 5,036 hogs at a cost of $5 million, or $988 per pig.

After 10 years of testing, the EPA, the Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas A&M AgriLife Research has approved a hog bait that contains 0.005% Wararin.

By law, the bait can only be purchased and dispensed by a licensed professional and it will only be placed on private properties where the landowner is willing to pay for some relief from constant hog damage. These properties will eventually be repopulated with hogs from adjacent properties where there is no hog control.

Kaput, the company that makes the bait also makes the required bait station for dispensing the bait. The bait station uses a 10-lb sliding door that has to be rooted up by the hog to get access to the bait. At first, the non-toxic version of the bait is used to get the hogs used to feeding on it. Then the door is installed and once the hogs learn to root the door up the bait with the Warfarin is used. The bait with the Warfarin has a strong blue dye in it. It may take a month to get to that point, and then the hog has to eat the bait every day for 5 to 7 days before it becomes lethal.

Vitamin K is the antidote for too much Wararin ingestion but it’s virtually impossible for wildlife or pets to consume enough Wararin from eating dead hog meat to cause any issues.

I think that less than 1% of landowners will ever spend the money to have their property treated one time, let alone more often. It is for this reason that I believe that the legalization of Warfarin won't put a dent in the hog population, but it can give some relief to farmers who have a severe hog damage problem.

finally someone with some common sense.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: AvianQuest] #6697216 03/06/17 08:37 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

While Warafin has worked very well in human medicine it is also extremely dangerous. You're almost down playing the use of warafin as 100% safe to people and that is 100% false.

You - and everyone else - who keep pushing this "licensed individual" is quite laughable. All it will take is a private applicators license and they are quite frankly a joke. I think my 6 year old niece could pass and get licensed.

No one, including you, have answered the question I've seen posed on WHAT will make these poisoned pigs stay on a landowners property? Is this poison going to magically make them respect fence lines? To answer for you - no. Then whose responsibility does it become to dispose of these dead pigs to the guidelines set forth per the specific use on the pesticide label? You'll have unlicensed individuals dealing with the tainted carcasses of pigs poisoned with a restricted use pesticide. That ain't good from a liability stand point.

I also keep seeing you and others tout this 10lb door bull crap. A 10lb door is not going to stop other wildlife from getting into the feeder. To add to that - maybe you haven't spent much time watching pigs eat out of that type of feeder - I have, having spent several years in the swine business - and they're going to make a mess of the bait all over the ground. Then what is to stop non-target species from ingesting this poison? To stop it from being washed into watersheds?

I have yet to see any studies, other than those paid for by the makers of Kaput, that address the issues in non-target species. Say this isn't toxic to birds of prey - but what about certain populations of field mice that may not have a natural warafin resistance? We're going to wipe out an entire food source and the effects will be felt down the food chain. Then there is the issue of bears, who are now making a comeback in East Texas and out West. Where is the research regarding the toxicity to bears? The bioaccumulation aspect could be argued as well.

I probably hate pigs as much, if not more, than anyone on this forum given my time in the commercial swine business...I flat out hate them and would be on board for anything to eradicate all of them, but it has to be done right...there can't be any unknowns for non-targets and this needs to be done transparently. There is a reason TPWD is not on board with Kaput.

I personally would much rather see this effort and funding directed towards developing sodium nitrite as a suitable control method. I believe TPWD was leaning this way as well. The risk to non-targets is much lower, bioaccumulation is a non-factor, most mammals aren't at much of a risk, there is no risk to hunters or anyone who consumes wild pork, etc..

Not to mention sodium nitrite produces a much quicker and more humane kill than Warafin. That alone is why Australia tested then banned the use of warafin to control pigs.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6697269 03/06/17 09:32 PM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Hogs have an extremely low tolerance for Warfarin. It's their Achilles heel. In fact the amount of Warfarin in rat and mouse bait (0.025%) is 5 times the strength of hog bait (0.005%).

NFPA Hazard Rating 1
HMIS Hazard Rating 1

0 = Minimal
1 = Slight
2 = Moderate
3 = Serious
4 = Extreme

Will the hogs die on the property where the bait stations are? Of course that would depend on how large the property is, and where the bait stations are placed. But for the drug to kill a hog it has to eat it every day for several days. It’s going to be pretty sick and weak on the final couple of days, so it won’t roam far away from the bait station.

Again, my opinion is that not over 1% of landowners are going to pony up the money to have this done one time let alone pay for follow up treatments after hogs repopulate from adjoining lands where no hog control is conducted. [b][/b]

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/06/17 09:35 PM.
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: AvianQuest] #6697287 03/06/17 09:45 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Again, my opinion is that not over 1% of landowners are going to pony up the money to have this done one time let alone pay for follow up treatments after hogs repopulate from adjoining lands where no hog control is conducted. [b][/b]

Hopefully not. Poisoning a food source is a STUPID [censored] idea.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: skinnerback] #6697444 03/07/17 12:03 AM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: skinnerback

I will gladly let you and anyone else come out here and smooth all the hog damage, probably only about 20 acres for now.

and as for your "food source", sorry but that liberal talking point won't fly, you can buy pig in the store CHEAPER and SAFER than you can hunt them. prove me wrong.

all I keep seeing is a bunch of cry baby hunters that

1. think a landowner has no right to control the damage done to his land and crops

2. only about 3.27 of ya have even read up on this chit and are talking out your backsides.

3. those of us that have to live with hogs on a daily basis (no, no reference to anyones wife) get pretty dam sick and tired of spending the time it takes to try to just control these vermin as they will never be gone completely.

4. MAN brought the pigs to this continent, WE caused this problem and now that a product comes along that will help abate the damage and destruction done those who perceive some sort of right to hunt others property and tell them how to run it are all butthurt.

sorry but I have yet to see any one prove there is one iota of bad that can come of this. again I say, prove me wrong.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: hopalong] #6697470 03/07/17 12:28 AM
CharlieCTx Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: hopalong
all I keep seeing is a bunch of cry baby hunters

Can I remind you that you're on a "Hunting" Forum? What are we suppose to do, cheer?

- Only one person has voiced an opinion that landowner wishes don't matter. (No one appears to agree with him)
- We are clearly not as smart as you, thanks for reminding us.
- Nobody has said, hogs aren't destructive. There is a guy (see above) who will come help you control them, whether you like it or not. smile

I think AvianQuest makes some very good points, I think most are just not comfortable with the whole poisoning thing.

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: hopalong] #6697633 03/07/17 02:33 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

I will gladly let you and anyone else come out here and smooth all the hog damage, probably only about 20 acres for now. I know all about that, smooth plenty of it myself.

and as for your "food source", sorry but that liberal talking point won't fly, you can buy pig in the store CHEAPER and SAFER than you can hunt them. prove me wrong. LIBERAL??? roflmao You have got me some kind of [censored] up. I have 4 freezers that stay full of feral pork. I process my own meat and feed it to my children and many others, all sorts of sausages and different cuts of meat, you name it. HELL YES it's cheaper than buying that many hundreds or THOUSANDS of pounds from the local grocery store that folks like me put out every year. Yes, I can prove you wrong. Good lord

1. think a landowner has no right to control the damage done to his land and crops no argument here...

2. only about 3.27 of ya have even read up on this chit and are talking out your backsides. I can assure you that I don't fall into that category.

3. those of us that have to live with hogs on a daily basis (no, no reference to anyones wife) get pretty dam sick and tired of spending the time it takes to try to just control these vermin as they will never be gone completely. When you've had enough, send me a PM. I am not only an avid hog hunter of 25 + yrs, I hold a second job working for a full time feral pig removal business. Currently contracted on 250,000 + acres and some smaller properties that are trying to be developed. Do some work for TPWD. We are very good at killing pigs, use ALL methods minus airborne and poison.

4. MAN brought the pigs to this continent, WE caused this problem and now that a product comes along that will help abate the damage and destruction done those who perceive some sort of right to hunt others property and tell them how to run it are all butthurt. I have no right to step foot on another's land, but using Warfarin is a horrible idea. This is not a product that will help abate the damage and destruction caused by feral pigs. It will do more harm than good. If you wanna poison pigs, use sodium nitrite.

sorry but I have yet to see any one prove there is one iota of bad that can come of this. again I say, prove me wrong.
I take it you, your children or grandchildren don't eat feral pigs, so nothing I can say will matter.

This is not the way...and if you ever call me a liberal again I will kick you in your internet nuts. Sir

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: CharlieCTx] #6697693 03/07/17 03:10 AM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Cant we all just get along !!!

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: skinnerback] #6697880 03/07/17 10:07 AM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I will gladly let you and anyone else come out here and smooth all the hog damage, probably only about 20 acres for now. I know all about that, smooth plenty of it myself.

and as for your "food source", sorry but that liberal talking point won't fly, you can buy pig in the store CHEAPER and SAFER than you can hunt them. prove me wrong. LIBERAL??? roflmao You have got me some kind of [censored] up. I have 4 freezers that stay full of feral pork. I process my own meat and feed it to my children and many others, all sorts of sausages and different cuts of meat, you name it. HELL YES it's cheaper than buying that many hundreds or THOUSANDS of pounds from the local grocery store that folks like me put out every year. Yes, I can prove you wrong. Good lord

1. think a landowner has no right to control the damage done to his land and crops no argument here...

2. only about 3.27 of ya have even read up on this chit and are talking out your backsides. I can assure you that I don't fall into that category.

3. those of us that have to live with hogs on a daily basis (no, no reference to anyones wife) get pretty dam sick and tired of spending the time it takes to try to just control these vermin as they will never be gone completely. When you've had enough, send me a PM. I am not only an avid hog hunter of 25 + yrs, I hold a second job working for a full time feral pig removal business. Currently contracted on 250,000 + acres and some smaller properties that are trying to be developed. Do some work for TPWD. We are very good at killing pigs, use ALL methods minus airborne and poison.

4. MAN brought the pigs to this continent, WE caused this problem and now that a product comes along that will help abate the damage and destruction done those who perceive some sort of right to hunt others property and tell them how to run it are all butthurt. I have no right to step foot on another's land, but using Warfarin is a horrible idea. This is not a product that will help abate the damage and destruction caused by feral pigs. It will do more harm than good. If you wanna poison pigs, use sodium nitrite.

I take it you, your children or grandchildren don't eat feral pigs, so nothing I can say will matter.

This is not the way...and if you ever call me a liberal again I will kick you in your internet nuts. Sir

I have myself and 3 others from the neighboring property (2 of which are state hunters/tpwd) and we can kill all the pigs we want, problem is we will never kill them all.

I would love to see nitrite used but the state approved the warfarin and in the dosage used for pigs it is not as dangerous as the knee jerks claim.

my point was/is that this and some other forums I am on all I have seen is a bunch of yahoos that think their hunting will be taken away and the world will go into zombie apocalypse due to the lack of knowledge. I am no expert by any means but due to where I am and what I do I have researched this best I can and see no bad side to it (based on state and company info) lets see some test sites with close monitoring first then if all is well cut it loose.

as for the eating feral hog, go for it, eat all you can, my point is that there are simply not enough hunters to take out the pigs, and most do not eat them.

the poison would not be wide spread, would not be detrimental to livestock/game (would have to eat a ton of the bait for problems to occur) and could be a great tool in controlling a bad problem..

as for you being a liberal, naaaa, just wanted to rattle you chain.

Re: The Hog Hunters Assoc group have scored a temp. injunction against the poisoning [Re: hopalong] #6697881 03/07/17 10:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide