Forums46
Topics538,059
Posts9,732,547
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: AvianQuest] #6696305 03/06/17 02:25 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest
If you were to shoot a hog that had consumed the bait from another property, you would know it when you went to skin it out since the strong blue dye in the bait colors the insides.

So, what happens when someone shoots a hog, starts cleaning it, and discovers it has blue fat? Are they then obligated to bury the carcass? It's likely that the source of the poison will be unknown, so it's not like the hog can be "returned to sender".

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: der Teufel] #6696431 03/06/17 04:01 AM
Dragonuv Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: der Teufel
If you were to shoot a hog that had consumed the bait from another property, you would know it when you went to skin it out since the strong blue dye in the bait colors the insides.

So, what happens when someone shoots a hog, starts cleaning it, and discovers it has blue fat? Are they then obligated to bury the carcass? It's likely that the source of the poison will be unknown, so it's not like the hog can be "returned to sender".

I'd bet that 99.9% of the people who only hunt hogs infrequently dont even know the Kaput label requires they be buried. They'll snap a few pictures, dump the carcass in the woods, then post online asking why their pig was blue inside.

Last edited by Dragonuv; 03/06/17 04:02 AM.
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: der Teufel] #6696436 03/06/17 04:04 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A

The EPA would have you bury a dead hog, deer, or cow but few people do that. But to get their approval, there are all kinds of extreme measures that have to be on the label. The question is, does the licensed professional who maintains the bait stations have to depose of the carcasses as part of his duty?

For the hog to die, it would have to be consuming the bait everyday for 5-7 days, so it couldn't have come from very far away.

The Warfarin will be in the blood, so if you happen to be on the maximum dose of Warfarin, I wouldn't drink large quantities of the blood. The meat should be ok to eat if you shoot one on the hoof. I wouldn't mess with one that's been dead for awhile.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/06/17 04:07 AM.
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: AvianQuest] #6696453 03/06/17 04:16 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

The EPA would have you bury a dead hog, deer, or cow but few people do that. But to get their approval, there are all kinds of extreme measures that have to be on the label. The question is, does the licensed professional who maintains the bait stations have to depose of the carcasses as part of his duty?

For the hog to die, it would have to be consuming the bait everyday for 5-7 days, so it couldn't have come from very far away.

The Warfarin will be in the blood, so if you happen to be on the maximum dose of Warfarin, I wouldn't drink large quantities of the blood. The meat should be ok to eat if you shoot one on the hoof. I wouldn't mess with one that's been dead for awhile.

"Licensed professional"? Who said they had to be professionals? They just need to take a class and pass a test to be able to purchase and use the stuff. So a ranchhand could be doing it, LOL.

The hog may die in as little as two to four days. However, hogs may walk several miles in a day. So yeah, the hog could be pretty far away, "far" being relative. "Far" may mean being on your neighbor's property. "Far" may be a couple of miles away.

The meat should be okay? You are kidding right? The EPA and Kaput says that the poisoned hog should be buried and not to let any other animals consume it and you are telling people the meat should be okay?

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6696538 03/06/17 06:01 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

"Licensed professional"? Who said they had to be professionals? They just need to take a class and pass a test to be able to purchase and use the stuff. So a ranchhand could be doing it, LOL.

The hog may die in as little as two to four days. However, hogs may walk several miles in a day. So yeah, the hog could be pretty far away, "far" being relative. "Far" may mean being on your neighbor's property. "Far" may be a couple of miles away.

The meat should be okay? You are kidding right? The EPA and Kaput says that the poisoned hog should be buried and not to let any other animals consume it and you are telling people the meat should be okay?

Yes, that's how you become a licensed professional.

The hog most likely isn't going to go miles away and still return each day to feed ton the bait, but certainly its going to stay near in the last couple of days as the drug takes effect. Odds are it will die near the bait station.

Like I said, to get EPA approval you have to go to extremes with the instructions. But best to follow the label until such time as they back off of it. The protocol is to bury a cow if you find it dead on your property. Does that mean you couldn't have eaten it a week before?

How much Warfarin could you get if you ate 10 pounds of dead hog a day for a week? Maybe enough to help stave off a blood clot or a stroke? Probably not. Most of the drug will be in the blood and you have to drink large amounts of it everyday. There should be very little of it in the meat. But out of an abundance of caution I'd say don't eat it until such time as it is proven to be totally safe.

Last edited by AvianQuest; 03/06/17 06:11 AM.
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: Stub] #6696543 03/06/17 06:15 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Having a license does not make your a professional, lol.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6696551 03/06/17 07:22 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Having a license does not make your a professional, lol.

Ok, "Licensed Applicator"... hammer

"The Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) licenses pesticide applicators that use restricted-use and state-limited-use pesticides and regulated herbicides."

http://schoolipm.tamu.edu/pesticide-applicator-information/how-to-obtain-a-license/

Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: AvianQuest] #6696875 03/06/17 04:21 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
The protocol is to bury a cow if you find it dead on your property. Does that mean you couldn't have eaten it a week before?

First, to my knowledge no one is poisoning cows.

Second, As a general rule, cows don't wander from property to property. If a livestock unit gets out, neighbors and owners work to return it where it belongs.

Third, yes - we've had livestock die, and we buried them. Including, once, a bull that weighed ~1,800 Lbs. It was a chore, (we had to borrow a neighbor's backhoe) but
a) That's the law and
b) even if it weren't, no one wants an 1,800 Lb rotting carcass hanging around.

Fourth, absolutely NO ONE wants poisoned hog carcasses hanging around - but how is one to know when they go into the brush and die? The property I hunt is not pasture land, it's heavily wooded and covered in virtually impenetrable brush (Yaupon).

Lastly, I think the word "Professional" is being used a bit loosely. One may attend a weekend course and become a licensed applicator but that doesn't mean that person is a professional. Texas recognizes two categories of applicators, commercial and non-commercial. If I get a non-commercial applicator license I can buy Kaput but that doesn't make me a professional.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Your Thoughts Poison, Trauma Or ??? [Re: der Teufel] #6697670 03/07/17 02:56 AM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
The Ilex Vomitoria

Yaupon

i had ta look it up... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread