Forums46
Topics538,313
Posts9,735,680
Members87,082
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: GLC] #6691951 03/02/17 12:17 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GLC
I have no issues with Tikka, probably a pretty good gun, except that I can't work on them as easily as my Savages. I know that I could have one built but to me that is where the fun ends. I drag raced a lot. I built all of my own motors, trannys, rear ends and chassis. That is where I got my satisfaction, yes I enjoyed driving them but it normally did not take long and I would sell the one I had and begin another build. For me it is always the build and try to push it as far as I can. Then I normally got bored and do another one. Same with guns. I If I had someone building them it just would not be as much fun and for sure it would be more costly.

Nothing wrong with that, I get it. I'm always building something!

But my favorite part with a rifle project is when all the pieces come together, a great load is developed, and I get to shoot it. Then I can focus on wind reading and position. Not to mention being prepared for the coyote or hog I spot.

To each their own.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: J.G.] #6691990 03/02/17 12:45 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: GLC
I have no issues with Tikka, probably a pretty good gun, except that I can't work on them as easily as my Savages. I know that I could have one built but to me that is where the fun ends. I drag raced a lot. I built all of my own motors, trannys, rear ends and chassis. That is where I got my satisfaction, yes I enjoyed driving them but it normally did not take long and I would sell the one I had and begin another build. For me it is always the build and try to push it as far as I can. Then I normally got bored and do another one. Same with guns. I If I had someone building them it just would not be as much fun and for sure it would be more costly.

Nothing wrong with that, I get it. I'm always building something!

But my favorite part with a rifle project is when all the pieces come together, a great load is developed, and I get to shoot it. Then I can focus on wind reading and position. Not to mention being prepared for the coyote or hog I spot.

To each their own.

Totally hear ya and agree and one of these days I want to take your class.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: J.G.] #6692540 03/02/17 02:37 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
We're you compressing the ejector closed, with an empty case?

Yep, did all that. the ejector is slotted and the pin falls in the slot. Regardless I tried several times to depress the ejector full and partially. No luck. I'm still trying to figure out what my options are. Taking a drill to it doesn't sound like a good idea. I'm also considering getting a whole other bolt head, namely the PTG aftermarket one.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6692543 03/02/17 02:40 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Get some quality punches before you give up on the project.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6692605 03/02/17 03:19 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
That is my next move. I have quality punches but it just doesn't have one small enough. I get a feeling it aint that. That spring is so relatively weak that it would never put enough pressure on the pin to cause it to get stuck. there is something else going.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6692622 03/02/17 03:34 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Might be a bur on the retaining pin. If memory serves it will come out one way, but not the other. Did you look into that?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6692706 03/02/17 04:29 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I only pushed it in the direction show in a video that suceesfully removed the pin. then I tried the other direction.
Essentially, there is one end of the pin that is flush with the outside of the bolt head. the other end of the hole that captures the pin, the pin is sits in there about about a eighth to quarter of an inch in. I started pushing from this, NOT the flush end.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: Korean Redneck] #6692719 03/02/17 04:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
OK. Just making sure you addressed it. up

I believe one end is peened over, just a bit, and most naked eyes can't see that.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6693185 03/03/17 02:01 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I got a Savage model 12 LPV in 223 for Christmas. Shot pretty good with factory 77 gr but I felt it could shoot better. I loaded up some 77 gr and they shot great. Problem is magazine will not kick them into chamber because they are longer than saami specs. Mag and chamber easily handle the increased length but Savage designed mag not to work with anything not to saami spec. Gun was sent to Savage, they called Monday said gun was being shipped back. They would/could not solve problem. I HAVE BOUGHT TWO SAVAGE RIFLES, MY FIRST AND MY LAST.
Btw two gunsmiths tried to adjust the magazine with no luck?!!?

Last edited by DLALLDER; 03/03/17 02:05 AM.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: DLALLDER] #6693221 03/03/17 02:35 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I guess what I suggested, via PM, didn't work. I never heard back.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6693235 03/03/17 02:52 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Jason, the gun was at Savage and is on its way back to me. They notified me that problem had not been fixed. I contacted AI but was told they did not make a mag for 223. Looks like it will become a single shot. Can't sell
It cause wife bought it for my Christmas. Live and learn.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: DLALLDER] #6693269 03/03/17 03:16 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I explained that in order to use A.I. mags you would have to change bottom metal. Didn't know it was a .223, I'm sure I missed that part.

Go through what I said, once you get the rifle back. Adjust the lips on the Mag, and see if it corrects the problem. Savage's "gunsmiths" might be a pimple faced 20 year old, fresh out of school, getting paid a tad over minimum wage, that don't know what they don't know.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: DLALLDER] #6693331 03/03/17 04:42 AM
J
jab3006 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Jason, the gun was at Savage and is on its way back to me. They notified me that problem had not been fixed. I contacted AI but was told they did not make a mag for 223. Looks like it will become a single shot. Can't sell
It cause wife bought it for my Christmas. Live and learn.

You might check cdi, they make bottom metal that accepts ai style mags.i purchased one for a model 10 in 308. Not sure if they have one that would work for you but worth a shot. The one i got solved my feeding issues, and they offer free inletting if you need it.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6693373 03/03/17 07:40 AM
2hellandback Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: charlesb
That is what bugs me the most about this... Everybody else can make a button-type ejector work just fine.

Savage has known about this issue for many years - without taking the first step necessary to do anything about it.

Apparently it is a basic design flaw of some kind, otherwise an after-market solution would have been developed some time ago.

This may have something to do with Savage not offering a dangerous game rifle, or any of the chamberings popular for dangerous game. Some poor Savage owner would wind up being processed into lion or bear poo - and this could lead to bad press for Savage.

Would you consider 338 win mag a danerous game round?
They us it on Grizzly in Alaska !

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: 2hellandback] #6693406 03/03/17 12:07 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: 2hellandback
Originally Posted By: charlesb
That is what bugs me the most about this... Everybody else can make a button-type ejector work just fine.

Savage has known about this issue for many years - without taking the first step necessary to do anything about it.

Apparently it is a basic design flaw of some kind, otherwise an after-market solution would have been developed some time ago.

This may have something to do with Savage not offering a dangerous game rifle, or any of the chamberings popular for dangerous game. Some poor Savage owner would wind up being processed into lion or bear poo - and this could lead to bad press for Savage.

Would you consider 338 win mag a danerous game round?
They us it on Grizzly in Alaska !

They use 22's, 30-30's, 30-06's too. - That doesn't make them "dangerous game cartridges".

Typical dangerous game cartridges would be .375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 458 Winchester magnum, 458 Lott, etc. etc.

Gun Digest list of the ten best dangerous game cartridges.

They do not offer these in the Savage action - because nobody in their right mind would stake their life upon that action when facing dangerous game.

Much preferred are the 98 Mauser, the Winchester model 70, the Ruger Hawkeye, etc.. - Something that won't jam up and leave you facing an enraged 500 pound critter with your pecker in your hand.

Get the picture?

Last edited by charlesb; 03/03/17 12:15 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6693428 03/03/17 12:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I actually never thought about Savage not making anything .375 and above. That fact is telling when you think about it.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: DLALLDER] #6694279 03/04/17 12:26 AM
T
Txhillbilly Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
I got a Savage model 12 LPV in 223 for Christmas. Shot pretty good with factory 77 gr but I felt it could shoot better. I loaded up some 77 gr and they shot great. Problem is magazine will not kick them into chamber because they are longer than saami specs. Mag and chamber easily handle the increased length but Savage designed mag not to work with anything not to saami spec. Gun was sent to Savage, they called Monday said gun was being shipped back. They would/could not solve problem. I HAVE BOUGHT TWO SAVAGE RIFLES, MY FIRST AND MY LAST.
Btw two gunsmiths tried to adjust the magazine with no luck?!!?

The problem is the feed lips on the magazine. I seat some of my 223 bullets out really long - 2.434" COAL,if you don't adjust the feed lips on the magazine,the tip of the bullets will hit the end of the barrel shank and fail to load.

It's an easy fix that you can do yourself!

Re: Some Old Guy Ranting about Savage Rifles [Re: charlesb] #6694297 03/04/17 01:01 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Txhillbilly, two local gunsmiths have tried and ruined the original magazine. Savage told me Monday that the mag was designed to function with saami spec cartridge only! They said it could not be adjusted to function with longer cartridges

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide