Forums46
Topics538,063
Posts9,732,588
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6680334 02/19/17 07:50 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yep, will the USDA not longer accept feral hogs at buying stations? What testing will be in place to assure hogs being bought at those stations are not laced with warfarin? Ideally, since they are supposed to be using the blue dye, the fat will turn blue, so that the normal hunter should not be ingesting feral hog meat with any significant amount of warfarin in it. Blued means Screwed.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6680352 02/19/17 08:01 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Texas Hog Hunters Association started a petition to get it stopped...

https://www.change.org/p/texas-hog-hunte..._src-custom_msg

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6680375 02/19/17 08:10 PM
H
Hard_ware Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I guess free trapping will come to a halt since hogs cannot be sold.
Professional hog doggin may be impacted as well.

NRA life member
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: dfwroadkill] #6680379 02/19/17 08:17 PM
G
garbs Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Signed. I will also be contacting my representatives tomorrow to voice my displeasure.

Fact is, i'd be more than happy to shoot more hogs to help control the population. The problem is finding the landowners that will let me do so without charging a fortune for a day hunt.

I have a freezer full of wild hog and will be sad when I can no longer eat them without fear of accidentally consuming one that has been poisoned.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6680519 02/19/17 10:55 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I understand y'all's concerns, and they are valid. If I had been asked to sign that petition a short time ago, I would have signed it.

My problem is, I have seen in the course of about 2 years, my favorite hunting areas down here on the coast, absolutely devastated. I promise you I am not exaggerating. Deer and squirrel were once plentiful, are now on a rapid decline. Snakes, lizards, frogs, ect are all taking a hit. Even the oak trees are unable to reproduce because the hogs are eating every acorn that hits the ground.

I'm writing this while digesting some excellent jagershnitzel from a young sow I shot the day before yesterday.

Hunting, even with dogs, is not working. Trapping year round is not working. Even helicopter hunting doesn't work very well here because the woods are too thick.

Hopefully the state will implement this in a responsible manner, perhaps requiring licenced pros to apply or oversee the application of this to minimize collateral damage to native wildlife.

Last edited by Palehorse; 02/19/17 11:00 PM.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6680544 02/19/17 11:19 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Palehorse you must be very naive to believe that implementation would be in "a responsible manner". There are more fools and morons than responsible people.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: passthru] #6680548 02/19/17 11:24 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: passthru
Palehorse you must be very naive to believe that implementation would be in "a responsible manner". There are more fools and morons than responsible people.

I didn't say I believe, I said I hope. Can't say you're wrong about fools and morons though.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: dfwroadkill] #6680649 02/20/17 12:54 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
Texas Hog Hunters Association started a petition to get it stopped...

https://www.change.org/p/texas-hog-hunte..._src-custom_msg

up

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: Palehorse] #6680729 02/20/17 02:12 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Palehorse
Originally Posted By: passthru

I didn't say I believe, I said I hope. Can't say you're wrong about fools and morons though.

They can mess it all up for the rest of us every time.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681204 02/20/17 03:32 PM
M
MClark Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M

So they put out the poison, the hogs eat it, the hog don't feel so good and go into a thicket and die.
Who is going to drag out all the rotting carcasses and dispose of them.
If your neighbor is poisoning, and the dead ones are on your property, who is responsible for clean up? Are you going to let someone who makes bad decisions, such as indiscriminate poisoning, onto your property?

M

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: flintknapper] #6681271 02/20/17 04:22 PM
A
angler management Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
This is just so crazy. Both the bait and poison delivery system are markedly flawed.

Why Warfarin has been chosen instead of Sodium Nitrite is beyond me. Plus the delivery system (they've been testing and have had doubts about for years) just isn't going to work and folks are going to start pouring the stuff right out on the ground.

This is a prime example of how if you get enough people together (wanting to make profit) you can (eventually) get any ridiculous product out on the market.

Everything about this effort is destined to fail....except the money making.

I agree that some 'method' (that can be applied on a large scale) is needed if we ever hope to trim back the hog population, but THIS isn't it.

Agreed. I also believe this a private property issue. If a landowner has a feral hog problem, it is incumbent on him to solve the problem. Sitting around waiting for the government to fix a problem is one reason our nation is in the shape it's in.

"Shut up and send me more pigs to kill!"
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681370 02/20/17 05:48 PM
P
PappyG1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
The money trail on this definitely needs to be followed & may explain allot. When the government gets involved unintended consequences are often overlooked. This seems to be a little knee jerk reaction & agree this is a private property issue.

Last edited by PappyG1; 02/20/17 05:49 PM.
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681465 02/20/17 07:10 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I like it. And would use it if is more effective then trapping. Amount that is absorded into muscle seems minute, especially when compared to what it would take to OD a human.

Only objection I see to it is if you have to use a special application to feed it you might as well use large drop trap.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681563 02/20/17 08:33 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Anyone want to talk to a reporter from KXAN in Austin on this topic? I emailed them and they are looking for someone with some expertise in this field.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681587 02/20/17 09:04 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Update, they want to do a story on this tonight and want to speak with a concerned hunter. Anyone want to do this?

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681595 02/20/17 09:21 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Update, they want to do a story on this tonight and want to speak with a concerned hunter. Anyone want to do this?

Not me. Not only am I not an expert, I have a face for radio.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681596 02/20/17 09:21 PM
dfwroadkill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
PM Dragunov. He fits both.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: dfwroadkill] #6681602 02/20/17 09:24 PM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill
PM Dragunov. He fits both.

Sent him a PM.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6681606 02/20/17 09:26 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
I like it. And would use it if is more effective then trapping. Amount that is absorded into muscle seems minute, especially when compared to what it would take to OD a human.

Only objection I see to it is if you have to use a special application to feed it you might as well use large drop trap.

Bobo, you don't just have to use a special application trap, but you have to train the hogs on how to use the trap. This takes 2-3 weeks and you bait it with unpoisoned bait from the company that makes the poison. Then you have to bait the special trap with the poison and the hogs need to return for several consecutive days in order to get a lethal dose. Of course, once you kill those hogs, you have to start the training process again with the next hogs because you already killed the ones that knew how to operate the trap.

So basically, you are looking at 1 month time, using unpoisoned bait to train the hogs and then poisoned bait to kill the hogs and if the hogs run off in the middle of the process, then you have to start over with the next set of new hogs. No doubt the traps will have to be maintained properly so that they do not stick or jam open whereby you end up poisoning whatever other animals show up.

Danger to humans may not be so minimal, particularly if you are already on blood thinners like Warfarin.

Sounds really effective, not to mention uncomplicated and inexpensive. You just need to buy special traps, special bait, special poison free bait, run game cameras to monitor the process of education for timing the bait change, and you are good to go. Oh, and if you have a big property, you will need multiples of traps.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681726 02/20/17 10:57 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
You will also have to be licensed to use it. You will not be able to just run to tractor supply and buy it. Also considering what a bucket of rat blox cost at tractor supply, a 50lb bag of kaput hog poison is going to be expensive even for someone with a state applicator's license. Many of us on here know too a 50lb bag of poison is not going to go very far. Then there is the cost of the feeders and the kaput branded non poisoned bait that is likely going to be required to be used by the person applying the poison.

I looked up the Kaput Hog poison usda application and the same company's Rat Poison MSDS. They are pretty much the same poison in different strengths. Hog Poison has .005% warfarin and the Rat Poison has .025% warfarin.

This stuff will be deadly for anything that eats what the hogs and raccoons spill out of those feeders and anything that eats those smaller poisoned animals. Provided the poison is even applied as directed.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681788 02/20/17 11:50 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
This is just a very bad idea. No poison.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6681985 02/21/17 03:12 AM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
There are many problems with putting reproductive hormones in bait that would potentially inhibit reporoduxtion. First off, the hogs would have to stay home and eat the material all the time, otherwise, as in humans, once you stop eating the pill you become fertile again. How many of us know that experience first hand?

Second, such bait would invariably end up in the water supply and humans and other animals could become involved. Would really stink to find that a. Much of doe in the homeland got temporarily sterilized and a whole crop of fawns was missing due to this type of poison.

In my mind, any type of poison or other hormonal control is going to be fraught with many unpredictable results, probably none of which would limit or decrease hog population. Very rarely do any of these govt interventions work out for the better...

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6682026 02/21/17 03:56 AM
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
KXAN in Austin is doing a segment on this in 5 mins for anyone in the Austin area.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6682076 02/21/17 04:53 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
This won't be a government program, but rather is a tool for landowners who have a bad enough hog problem that they will be willing to pay for a licensed professional to thin down the hog population on their land.

For those who think hogs can be eliminated by shooting them...

Feral hogs can be shot out of a small area where they can't come back in to repopulate the area.....for example an island in the Pacific Ocean like Santa Cruz.

The National Park Service and the Nature Conservancy, which co-own the island, contracted with Prohunt, Inc. out of New Zealand to remove feral hogs from the 96 square mile island. The state of Texas is 2,798 times that size.

Prohunt cross fenced the island to restrict the hogs' movement, used extensive trapping, baiting, ground hunting with teams of dogs, infrared sensing devices and radio trackers, and their most effective method, shooting them from helicopters.

It took over two years to remove the 5,036 hogs at a cost of $5 million, or $988 per pig.

Re: Poison approved to control feral hogs [Re: krmitchell] #6682103 02/21/17 05:53 AM
T
Tommar Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Palehorse, I can understand the problem with feral hogs but do you allow people to come hunt them with you? I have no idea, maybe you do.

I just don't see how a landowner can complain about their hog problem and then say they either won't allow hunting or especially want to charge for it. Seems to me Mr. Landowner, your hog problem isn't as big as you make it to be.

Again, I am not insinuating this about you Palehorse as I don't know you so please don't take offense.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide