Print Thread
French Brittany Puppies #6588733 12/15/16 11:36 PM
B
BediasHunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I am looking to get a French Brittany puppy for my family, it would be great if I could get the puppy before Christmas but I doubt that will happen with such short notice. I was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the right direction. I would like a male pup preferably. Also can French Brittany's live in an town home with a small backyard or are they too energetic? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6588848 12/16/16 12:49 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6588893 12/16/16 01:13 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Welcome to the forum.

A French Brittany should do fine in your townhome with a small yard. I have had 4 of them and all made great house pets as well as bird dogs. Just take him out and let him run when you get a chance. Tell the breeder your situation. You don't want the high strung pup for the townhome.

The closest French Brittany breeder I know of is Barry Godwin with Barbwire kennels in Lipan. http://www.frenchgundogs.com/. I think he has a litter right now.

There is also a guy breeding some good dogs in Snyder. But I can't remember his name.

Here's a litter on the ground right now in Arizona. http://suncountrybretons.com/puppies/josie-2016-2-nb.html
I wouldn't mind having one of these pups.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6589289 12/16/16 06:05 AM
C
CinchMan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Barry Godwin out in Lipan has French Brittanys. Really great guy with some very very nice dogs!

Say When.....
Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: scalebuster] #6589355 12/16/16 12:38 PM
C
Catch Dog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
How do the FB hunt? How are they in the field compared to pointers? I'm damn curious as I spoke with Barry last night and plan on going over there Sunday to check them out.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6589429 12/16/16 01:50 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
The guy in Ardmore I got my Breton Epagneul from 11 years ago had a large professionaly run kennel with all French born breeding parents. He is a full time breeder and listed in the breeds nat'l assoc website too.

The FB national assoc also runs a contact point for FB rescues, which at our early '70's age will be what we do for the next FB. Be sure ask Mr Dalrymple about the "T A N" FB certification program too.

Try this contact info:
Rolling Red Prairie Kennels
R.L Dalrymple
260 Springdale Rd
Ardmore OK
580-223-8782

Have Fun
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6590013 12/16/16 08:12 PM
B
BediasHunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Spoke with Mr Dalrymple, about the breed and was very helpful, he seems to have some more dogs directly from France in his bloodlines than some of the other breeders I have found. He also is a bit more reasonable on his prices than some I found in Texas, I would like to talk to Barbed Wire Kennels before I place a deposit it would be nice if I could find a quality dog for around the same price and not have to drive a 16 hour round trip. I appreciate the help everyone.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6590096 12/16/16 09:08 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
How much is Dalrimple getting for his dogs now?

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: Catch Dog] #6590139 12/16/16 09:44 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Catch Dog
How do the FB hunt? How are they in the field compared to pointers? I'm damn curious as I spoke with Barry last night and plan on going over there Sunday to check them out.

If you've read about the French Brits, they are supposed to be a close working versatile dog.

The first French Brittany I ever owned or saw was given to me in 1996. He was out of imported dogs from the Du Sorny kennel in France. He turned out to be the best dog I've ever owned. He would range perfectly for the cover if you were walk hunting. If you put him in fromt of the mule he would range with the pointers, a bird finding machine. He was a 40 pound dog and I took him everywhere with me and hunted everything with him. He could load up in the truck with the tailgate closed. We dove hunted every day of season back then and he retrieved thousands of dove each year and did well when I took him duck hunting. The only things I didn't like about Boudreaux was that he was black and hard to see. He also didn't like being left anywhere I wasn't. If I left him with someone and went out of town he got destructive.

Boudreaux was a finished dog his first season. I have one FB pup I'm trainong now that is a big running dog and can keep up with pointers all day. She will be a good one after this first year. The other FB I have now is slow maturing and very soft with a close range.

I bought a female from Dalrimple in Ardmore, to breed to Boudreaux in 1998, but she was the softest dog I've ever owned and I never did like her too much. She was also the only FB I've seen that wasn't a very smart dog. I never did breed them and ended up giving her to a neighbor that thought she was great.

If you have only trained pointers like I had when I got my first FB, you will have to change your training methods some. You can't be heavy handed with the FB like you are with the pointers. Some can take the pressure but the close ranging dog I have now all it takes is a dirty look to get her to do whatever I want her to. My big running dog needs a little more than that every now and then.

Ask Barry Godwin how they stack up. He runs pointers and shorthairs with his French dogs.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: scalebuster] #6590155 12/16/16 09:59 PM
B
BediasHunter Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
When I spoke to him this morning he said,
550 for (orange and white ) males
650 for ( Tri-color ) males
650 for (orange and white) Female
750 for ( Tri-color ) Female
The deposit is 100 dollars

I found two litters in Texas due early next year, one was 950 with a 200 dollar deposit, and the other was 1000 with a 250 dollar deposit.

Re: French Brittany Puppies [Re: BediasHunter] #6590689 12/17/16 04:49 AM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
There are some breeders up in the Central Midwest, mostly in Missouri & Illinois, some in Iowa & South Dakota too. There was an Orvis Approved breeder umm I think in Kentucly I talked to also ...but in 2005 he wanted $2000 as I recall for a started pup, with a $500 deposit to hold a pup....or mebbe that was the guy in Virginia I talked to.

Looks like Mr Dalrymple's prices are the same today as they were in 2005 in the "white & ?color" .
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide