Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562409 11/28/16 07:39 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Premeditated and organized. Doubt it's methheads. Sounds more like a organized theft ring specializing in these type of thefts.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562413 11/28/16 07:40 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
This brings up a good point. Guys, snap a few quick photos of your guns. Start with overall pics and then pics of the serial numbers, including the S# on your scopes. Upload them to your cloud, photobucket or something similar. That way, if something happens you can provide the numbers to LE. Easiest way to track stolen items is with the serial number.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: LandPirate] #6562432 11/28/16 07:51 PM
T
TheDman62 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
This brings up a good point. Guys, snap a few quick photos of your guns. Start with overall pics and then pics of the serial numbers, including the S# on your scopes. Upload them to your cloud, photobucket or something similar. That way, if something happens you can provide the numbers to LE. Easiest way to track stolen items is with the serial number.

Thanks Mike, that's a great idea!!!

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: LandPirate] #6562468 11/28/16 08:23 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Y'all need some watchdogs in camp.

My heeler sleeps underneath our camper directly below our bed. When he hears a strange noise or vehicle I have to peel my wife off the ceiling. No way is anyone going to sneak into our camp. roflmao

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562511 11/28/16 08:47 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
sorry to hear

I know how frustrated you feel as it has happened to me

I sleep with the lights under the canopy on, lights inside trailer on, truck locked & alarm armed,
all guns moved inside trailer next to me, trailer door locked

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562532 11/28/16 09:00 PM
T
TXW Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Sorry to hear about this. I've always been nervous this would happen and lock my truck at the lease.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: LandPirate] #6562533 11/28/16 09:01 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M

i don't have anything stored on the computer where
some kid hacker can get at it. i use those usb memory
sticks and have 2 WRITTEN record books in 2 different
places. all serial numbers and detailed descriptions
as said up there ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ with photos

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: maximum] #6562539 11/28/16 09:08 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: maximum

Smart man up

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: John Humbert] #6562749 11/28/16 11:25 PM
S
Someone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
the first thing you need to do is have the STATE law enforcement (would not trust local to pull it off right) call all the hardware stores and locksmiths in the area and ask about anyone having a matching key made for that particular brand of lock

it is easier to have a LOCK keyed to a KEY than it is to have a KEY made from a LOCK

it does not take a rocket scientist, but you need the right tools and the knowledge to use them (which again are not hard to acquire to learn)

there is a good chance that this group has someone with the ability to do it themselves, but they still had to buy the lock somewhere

also you should try and find out if the locks to the other properties that were hit are the same brand.....if they are the same brand that says two things:

1. that brand is probably being actively looked for on gates

2. that brand is very easy to make a key from the lock Vs other brands

also if they are the same brand then when law enforcement calls around they need to ask about someone buying multiples of the same lock recently

if the locks are not the same brand and type then law enforcement needs to ask when they call around (if they even will) about people buying several locks of different brands which would be more unusual than someone buying multiples of the same brand

it would also lead me to believe that the group has someone that is skilled and that has better tools available to make a key from a lock and that is not bothered by doing so with different types and brands of locks

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Hope they catch the lowlifes. I would be armed around camp and especially at night. Lock the gate when everyone is in camp so nobody can drive in after dark.
Lock up the guns inside where you sleep. I don't think they will return this year, but I wouldn't take the chance.

you missed the part where the cut the lock (stole a few small items) and took the lock and chain and then waited until a new lock with the same key was installed......while they were having a key made for the lock and then came back and made a bigger hit

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Meth heads. Only someone really prone to high-risk endeavors would sneak into a camp with hunters and firearms to steal. Cartel and organized crime do not need guns that bad to take those chances. These thefts are almost certainly meth head addicts that live in the area.

there is VERY LITTLE chance this is meth heads for a number of reasons

meth heads that are truly desperate can barely function to get @20 dollars together to get a lock and a key made from the lock

they can barely afford the gas to get anywhere past a 5 mile radius of where they live and the pile of junk they drive would not stand a chance in hell of making it 10 miles outside of town one time much less several times and further distances

if you have ever had a dealer in the area you will find that you see random cars (all junk) just abandoned on the street around their house.....that is one way to identify a drug house in an area

junkies will LITERALLY drive their car the last bit of it;s life to the dealers house and when it breaks down after they get there they will simply ABANDON IT for good.....this is actually very common as crazy as it sounds

also many meth heads are scared of the dark that is part of why they often have several flash lights with them

they also would not stand a chance in hell of moving quietly in the dark especially out in BFE in a deer lease....they can barely stand still as it is, they freak out about things "crawling on them" (one of the reasons they often get undressed for no reason among others for that)

no meth user that scored a gun and a trail cam would be anything other than totally and completely methed out immediately after selling that and there is no chance they would be able to function to return again and make the second bigger score IF they could even remember where to go back to and that is a big if

and in short there is simply no way in hell that any meth user would have been able to pull all this off.....way to complex, way too much foresight, way too much discipline to make it back the second time and not a chance they would hit multiple properties the same way after getting the first "score" of the night on the return hit and knowing that meth was just a car ride and a trade away from RIGHT THEN

it would have been hammer down after the first place was hit right back to the dealer

now I will say this there is a chance that some or all that did this have smoked meth in the past and will in the future......but they are not close to what one would think of as a "desperate meth head" out to risk it all to get anything of value......these people were almost certainly stealing as a means of living and as a means to buy truck rims, pay rent, party at the bar, buy TVs, buy Christmas presents for "loved ones" and the like

these were not people at rock bottom desperate to take anything in sight

Originally Posted By: JCB
Premeditated and organized. Doubt it's methheads. Sounds more like a organized theft ring specializing in these type of thefts.

I agree

way too sophisticated, WAY too much risk for a desperate meth head, way too difficult for a meth head to even plan much less execute

more than likely it is out of work oilfield trash (no offense to those in the oil field that are NOT trash because the VAST majority are not, but it does attract some real losers as well when the times are good)

they were certainly aware of the fact that ranchers have all their locks keyed the same, they were most likely aware of the types of locks to target that are easy to make a key from a lock, they have probably hooked up with someone that does that regularly (knows about lock smithing) and they are probably familiar with the properties in question or at least properties in the general area and how to move around those properties and what to look for.....power and phone lines to follow because that leads to "camp".....looking for tire tracks to see that "targets" are in camp (they clearly INTENDED to come when people were THERE) and how to know a deer camp from the ranchers place (much more likely the rancher has dogs or motion lights or other security Vs a camp and the rancher is to be avoided at all cost

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562802 11/29/16 12:06 AM
D
DENTPUSHA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I also doubt a hit like this was methheads. Do you have a spot where someone could monitor your camp from above on a hill or anything. I'd say someone looked out while others stole equipment. I feel your pain,I recently had sixteen grand worth of equipment stolen from my yard.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: Someone] #6562843 11/29/16 12:30 AM
T
TheDman62 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Someone
the first thing you need to do is have the STATE law enforcement (would not trust local to pull it off right) call all the hardware stores and locksmiths in the area and ask about anyone having a matching key made for that particular brand of lock

it is easier to have a LOCK keyed to a KEY than it is to have a KEY made from a LOCK

it does not take a rocket scientist, but you need the right tools and the knowledge to use them (which again are not hard to acquire to learn)

there is a good chance that this group has someone with the ability to do it themselves, but they still had to buy the lock somewhere

also you should try and find out if the locks to the other properties that were hit are the same brand.....if they are the same brand that says two things:

1. that brand is probably being actively looked for on gates

2. that brand is very easy to make a key from the lock Vs other brands

also if they are the same brand then when law enforcement calls around they need to ask about someone buying multiples of the same lock recently

if the locks are not the same brand and type then law enforcement needs to ask when they call around (if they even will) about people buying several locks of different brands which would be more unusual than someone buying multiples of the same brand

it would also lead me to believe that the group has someone that is skilled and that has better tools available to make a key from a lock and that is not bothered by doing so with different types and brands of locks

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Hope they catch the lowlifes. I would be armed around camp and especially at night. Lock the gate when everyone is in camp so nobody can drive in after dark.
Lock up the guns inside where you sleep. I don't think they will return this year, but I wouldn't take the chance.

you missed the part where the cut the lock (stole a few small items) and took the lock and chain and then waited until a new lock with the same key was installed......while they were having a key made for the lock and then came back and made a bigger hit

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Meth heads. Only someone really prone to high-risk endeavors would sneak into a camp with hunters and firearms to steal. Cartel and organized crime do not need guns that bad to take those chances. These thefts are almost certainly meth head addicts that live in the area.

there is VERY LITTLE chance this is meth heads for a number of reasons

meth heads that are truly desperate can barely function to get @20 dollars together to get a lock and a key made from the lock

they can barely afford the gas to get anywhere past a 5 mile radius of where they live and the pile of junk they drive would not stand a chance in hell of making it 10 miles outside of town one time much less several times and further distances

if you have ever had a dealer in the area you will find that you see random cars (all junk) just abandoned on the street around their house.....that is one way to identify a drug house in an area

junkies will LITERALLY drive their car the last bit of it;s life to the dealers house and when it breaks down after they get there they will simply ABANDON IT for good.....this is actually very common as crazy as it sounds

also many meth heads are scared of the dark that is part of why they often have several flash lights with them

they also would not stand a chance in hell of moving quietly in the dark especially out in BFE in a deer lease....they can barely stand still as it is, they freak out about things "crawling on them" (one of the reasons they often get undressed for no reason among others for that)

no meth user that scored a gun and a trail cam would be anything other than totally and completely methed out immediately after selling that and there is no chance they would be able to function to return again and make the second bigger score IF they could even remember where to go back to and that is a big if

and in short there is simply no way in hell that any meth user would have been able to pull all this off.....way to complex, way too much foresight, way too much discipline to make it back the second time and not a chance they would hit multiple properties the same way after getting the first "score" of the night on the return hit and knowing that meth was just a car ride and a trade away from RIGHT THEN

it would have been hammer down after the first place was hit right back to the dealer

now I will say this there is a chance that some or all that did this have smoked meth in the past and will in the future......but they are not close to what one would think of as a "desperate meth head" out to risk it all to get anything of value......these people were almost certainly stealing as a means of living and as a means to buy truck rims, pay rent, party at the bar, buy TVs, buy Christmas presents for "loved ones" and the like

these were not people at rock bottom desperate to take anything in sight

I agree

way too sophisticated, WAY too much risk for a desperate meth head, way too difficult for a meth head to even plan much less execute

more than likely it is out of work oilfield trash (no offense to those in the oil field that are NOT trash because the VAST majority are not, but it does attract some real losers as well when the times are good)

they were certainly aware of the fact that ranchers have all their locks keyed the same, they were most likely aware of the types of locks to target that are easy to make a key from a lock, they have probably hooked up with someone that does that regularly (knows about lock smithing) and they are probably familiar with the properties in question or at least properties in the general area and how to move around those properties and what to look for.....power and phone lines to follow because that leads to "camp".....looking for tire tracks to see that "targets" are in camp (they clearly INTENDED to come when people were THERE) and how to know a deer camp from the ranchers place (much more likely the rancher has dogs or motion lights or other security Vs a camp and the rancher is to be avoided at all cost

Thanks for the awesome reply. After reading yours and a couple others, I agree it was way too organized to be meth heads. Texas Rangers are involved. Im assuming that with so many guns were stolen in such a well organized, clandestine operation that they will take this very seriously.

My dad and I will be at the lease for the remainder of the Mule Deer season and I hope they don't come back. I didn't mention earlier, but I am disabled and my deer blind is fairly close to camp and very accessible. My dad parks the Polaris very close to the front door of our trailer for me so the 1st night that they got my camera they were within feet of our door. we didn't hear a thing. I am a little worried about sitting in my stand before daylight but I will have my .357 magnum with me.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562873 11/29/16 12:47 AM
K
Kpaycheck Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
x2 on a hit squad. Guarantee you theyve been at it awhile. i would imagine theyve staked out each camp that they hit in advance. They will slip up and hit the wrong camp eventually. We havent had any issue in 11 years, but this reminds me not to get complacent. we usually leave gate unlocked while in camp, not happening anymore.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: JCB] #6562939 11/29/16 01:19 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
My thoughts exactly

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6562952 11/29/16 01:26 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Someone, welcome to the THF. Good info, Sir. Makes complete sense too. up

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563494 11/29/16 01:21 PM
T
TheDman62 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Im heading out to Ozona. My dad just texted me and said Sheriff and Texas Rangers will be out there today. Since he nor I were out there when the big theft happened I told him to be sure and tell them about the chain/lock being cut opening weekend and about my trail cam and my brother's pistol. If I have any new info or updates, Ill post. Most important thing is, Whitetails are starting to run hard and hopefully Ill get a Mulie!!! Im off work until Dec 18th so I plan on hunting hard.

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563509 11/29/16 01:33 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: TheDman62
I was unable to hunt opening weekend because I had to work. The guys at the lease woke up Sat and noticed that the lock and chain were gone from the gate. They looked all over thinking maybe someone forgot to lock it and it fell or some how it ended up in a pick up. It was never found so it was assumed that someone cut the chain and took it. We could not figure out who or why someone would do that. The landowner replaced the lock but kept it the same key.

I made it out that next Tues and hunted until the next Mon. I had an issue with my trail cam so took it down and put it in the glove box of the Polaris and forgot about it. My brother came out Friday night. On Saturday we were going to help my cousin at his stand and I showed him what the cows did to my camera and then put it back in the glove box. Sunday my brother left. That afternoon I was going to mess with my camera and it wasn't there. I thought my dad had taken it out but he hadn't seen it. When my brother got home he realized that the pistol that he had in his truck was gone. He thought it happened in Junction when he stopped to get gas but I realized someone had stole his gun and my camera Saturday night.

Again I couldn't hunt opening weekend of Mule Deer season (Im heading out tomorrow). My dad told his cousin who is the lease manager about the theft and told him to be sure and let everybody know not to leave anything in pickups and lock doors. Of course nobody listened and Friday night 12 guns were stolen. The sheriff and Texas Rangers are getting involved because that same night 2 other leases were hit in the area and another 18 guns were stolen. Counting my brother's gun thats 31 total stolen.

Our lease is on Hwy 137 NW of Ozona. Obviously now we know why the lock was cut. So they could make keys and come and go easily.

Other than reminding everybody to be vigilant about locking your vehicles and campers/cabins, do yall think they'll try to hit us again? My thinking is with this big of a haul they know LE will be crawling this area and theres not too much left to take. Im going to try and set up a trail cam to catch em. I don't really want to confront them knowing now they are highly armed.
a lot of home burglary's are hit a second time

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: KG68] #6563513 11/29/16 01:35 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: KG68

My heeler sleeps underneath our camper directly below our bed. When he hears a strange noise or vehicle I have to peel my wife off the ceiling. No way is anyone going to sneak into our camp. roflmao

I've normally had 2 Ambien and a Big Boy Drink roflmao

We hunt on the Border and sat night, Lovie wakes me up and said ...Hey...I think a Illegal is trying to break in and wiggling the handle on our Butt Hutt ...I went take the Sig and go check..wait leave the Sig in case they get thru you roflmao

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563538 11/29/16 01:53 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
We sleep with all the guns inside and the only dog that sleeps outside never quits barking

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563563 11/29/16 02:07 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
Pretty crazy stuff. My new Quail lease in straight up 163 from there, I will keep everything locked up like I'm at a motel now. I also have a driveway alarm with two motion detectors, I set one in floorboard of Mule or truck bumper facing trailer and one in the truck, anyone opens the truck door or walk near the Mule, I get a doorbell ding inside. Best $25 I've ever spent.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: maximum] #6563600 11/29/16 02:21 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: maximum

Similar here....have a word document for each firearm....photos, sn#'s, and history of firearm (when I got it, from who or where, if its a family piece I add that history, etc)....have 2 sets of hard copies in different fire safes and also on jump drive. up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: SniperRAB] #6563628 11/29/16 02:36 PM
T
TheDman62 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: KG68

I've normally had 2 Ambien and a Big Boy Drink roflmao

We hunt on the Border and sat night, Lovie wakes me up and said ...Hey...I think a Illegal is trying to break in and wiggling the handle on our Butt Hutt ...I went take the Sig and go check..wait leave the Sig in case they get thru you roflmao

Haha

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6563631 11/29/16 02:37 PM
T
TheDman62 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Pretty crazy stuff. My new Quail lease in straight up 163 from there, I will keep everything locked up like I'm at a motel now. I also have a driveway alarm with two motion detectors, I set one in floorboard of Mule or truck bumper facing trailer and one in the truck, anyone opens the truck door or walk near the Mule, I get a doorbell ding inside. Best $25 I've ever spent.

up

Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563711 11/29/16 03:21 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
How would they know the LO would go back with the same key on the new lock?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: TheDman62] #6563717 11/29/16 03:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I'm scratching my head as to why someone would leave something in an unlocked vehicle, that they normally keep locked away in a safe.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Theft At Ozona Deer Lease [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #6563738 11/29/16 03:38 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
How would they know the LO would go back with the same key on the new lock?

X2

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide