Forums46
Topics538,092
Posts9,732,899
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174343 02/08/16 05:08 PM
T
ThreePeppers Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I wish they would move doe and spike season to the last two weeks in Oct not 2 weeks after the general season. Makes no sense to me to have this season after the rut.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: HornSlayer] #6174346 02/08/16 05:09 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Why does the playing field always have to be "even"?

Because I pay just as much as everyone else. Last time I asked to pay 2/3 of the lease it didn't go very far. lol

One has always been able to use a crossbow with an injury exception. Now, you can use one during bow season without exception. If you want to hunt the bow season you have always been free to do so. Even with a physical limitation.

Dont't take this personal but why on earth would I choose a less effective means of killing than the optimal. Me personally, I'm trying to kill for food and nourishment and not trying to prove my skills as a hunter. I am in favor of starting rifle season at the beginning of October so I can maybe get one more hunt in each year.

There are leases that only allow rifle hunting and leases that only allow bow hunting. You can get on one of them to "even the playing field."

You don't have to "choose" to use a less optimal means of killing a deer, but you do have the choice. Just because you choose not to do it, shouldn't take away others choice.

Again, don't see them allowing a 3 month gun season, as the 2 month season is already pretty generous. Been wrong before though.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: HornSlayer] #6174347 02/08/16 05:10 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: HornSlayer

Why does the playing field always have to be "even"?

Because I pay just as much as everyone else. Last time I asked to pay 2/3 of the lease it didn't go very far. lol

One has always been able to use a crossbow with an injury exception. Now, you can use one during bow season without exception. If you want to hunt the bow season you have always been free to do so. Even with a physical limitation.

Dont't take this personal but why on earth would I choose a less effective means of killing than the optimal. Me personally, I'm trying to kill for food and nourishment and not trying to prove my skills as a hunter. I am in favor of starting rifle season at the beginning of October so I can maybe get one more hunt in each year.

All you are really saying is:

1)I don't personally want to accept the added challenges of hunting with a crossbow; so
2)Therefore, I want all who do accept the challenges of bowhunting and get extra time to pursue those challenges in quiet woods with a lot fewer hunters to give all that up so it can be easier for me.

The playing field is "level" now. You can bowhunt just like the rest of the guys on your lease. You just want a new field with new rules in your favor.

It's the trend of the future. I get it.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 05:56 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: ThreePeppers] #6174350 02/08/16 05:10 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: ThreePeppers
I wish they would move doe and spike season to the last two weeks in Oct not 2 weeks after the general season. Makes no sense to me to have this season after the rut.

X2

Shooting bred doe isn't cool

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174534 02/08/16 07:07 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

There is a huge difference in hunting quiet woods and undisturbed deer on feeding patterns transitioning to pre-rut than hunting with a bow during rifle season.
Introducing hundreds of thousands more hunters into the equation with rifles tends to make a difference. That should be obvious.

Many other states all over the country have traditionally had long bow seasons and short rifle seasons with no problem. Texas has had the separate bow season in October for over 50 years. It wasn't set up to "sell equipment" (though allowing crossbows recently was). It did not take a day from the rifle season - which has always begun at the beginning of November. It has never been "divisive". Ever. In fact, no one has had a single issue with it until relatively recently.

It's just another grab being pushed by folks who don't want to do what it takes to bowhunt. Just like so many other trends in hunting and in general to make things as easy as possible. Texas already has one of the longest rifle seasons in the nation. We need to leave bow season alone.

I haven't seen what you are talking about here. All three of my places (including the low fenced ranch) are under MLD and are hunted by both bow and rifle hunters. Three separate regions: hill country, south Texas, and west Texas plains.

Gun and bow hunting simultaneously from October 1 through the end of feb. I have found over the past 15 years that gun hunting in October doesn't make any significant change in normal deer behavior in any of those three regions.

I always encourage my hunters (both gun and bow) to go for trophies in October. They pattern so much better then, and it makes no difference if guns are fired then. On all three ranches we have seen several mature bucks be missed by rifle fire and walk right back in to the same feeder within a few minutes.

Rifle hunters are getting screwed by the bow only season under standard season dates.

I personally think all deer seasons should start October 1st and go through the end of February. I have no problem managing my populations, and hunters are allowed much more flexibility and opportunity.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: ChrisB] #6174545 02/08/16 07:13 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Very interesting about the spike vs unbranched antler. That throws people off when it comes to the extended season. During regular season if it is unbranched on one side it is legal but the extended season it must be a true spike. Sounds like they will make an unbranched on one side will be legal in the extended season. Not sure how I feel about that. I wish they would just make it spikes and 13 inch+ spread for regular and spike/doe only in extended. Being selfish here but seeing a kid or now adult take a 3 year old deer with half a 19 inch rack broken off cause it is legal is not best management. Take a doe or spike...

Kinda hard for some to take a doe in east Texas if they don't bow hunt. One weekend season doesn't give you much time to get it done.

Especially when it rains 15" that weekend!!

JR

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174556 02/08/16 07:19 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
They should do away with bow only season and just make a deer season with any legal weapon. I don't think it right that you have to enroll in MLD to hunt deer with the wepon of your choice in October. Since vast majority of land in Texas is under private ownership I do not see how it would make a difference. I also don't get the late muzzleloader season. It also should be any legal wepon. Texas parks and wildlife already has controls on how many deer you can kill....what difference does it make if it's killed with a arrow or a bullet?

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: therancher] #6174568 02/08/16 07:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: therancher

There is a huge difference in hunting quiet woods and undisturbed deer on feeding patterns transitioning to pre-rut than hunting with a bow during rifle season.
Introducing hundreds of thousands more hunters into the equation with rifles tends to make a difference. That should be obvious.

Many other states all over the country have traditionally had long bow seasons and short rifle seasons with no problem. Texas has had the separate bow season in October for over 50 years. It wasn't set up to "sell equipment" (though allowing crossbows recently was). It did not take a day from the rifle season - which has always begun at the beginning of November. It has never been "divisive". Ever. In fact, no one has had a single issue with it until relatively recently.

It's just another grab being pushed by folks who don't want to do what it takes to bowhunt. Just like so many other trends in hunting and in general to make things as easy as possible. Texas already has one of the longest rifle seasons in the nation. We need to leave bow season alone.

I haven't seen what you are talking about here. All three of my places (including the low fenced ranch) are under MLD and are hunted by both bow and rifle hunters. Three separate regions: hill country, south Texas, and west Texas plains.

Gun and bow hunting simultaneously from October 1 through the end of feb. I have found over the past 15 years that gun hunting in October doesn't make any significant change in normal deer behavior in any of those three regions.

I always encourage my hunters (both gun and bow) to go for trophies in October. They pattern so much better then, and it makes no difference if guns are fired then. On all three ranches we have seen several mature bucks be missed by rifle fire and walk right back in to the same feeder within a few minutes.

Rifle hunters are getting screwed by the bow only season under standard season dates.

I personally think all deer seasons should start October 1st and go through the end of February. I have no problem managing my populations, and hunters are allowed much more flexibility and opportunity.

Ain't nobody getting "screwed".

Just folks wanting a bigger pie who don't want to bowhunt because it's harder. Everybody wants it easier.

So they say stuff like "it makes no difference" when even a little bit of common sense would show it makes a big difference. Introducing hundreds of thousands more hunters shooting rifles would make a huge difference.

If you want to take the position that you want a bigger pie for more folks to have it easier, then just own it.

Where I have the issue is when folks say it doesn't make a difference or "its all the same". It's not. Bowhunting is harder - that's why both participation and success rates are so much lower.

The extra month was given over 50 years ago solely for folks willing to accept the added challenge. Again, no one has ever had an issue with it until lately.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174572 02/08/16 07:33 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Some of us don't want to hunt with a bow (cross-bow or not) because we have a life-time of hunting with rifles. We're interested in the various calibers and bullet-weights and the endless discussions that are had about them. There's also the tradition. If you are a reader, you've got a hundred years of hunting experiences WITH RIFLES to relate to.

I have no interest in shooting big game with a shotgun, either. I'd be wishy-washy about muzzles loaders, but now they're pretty much just like center-fire rifles anyway, so no point to them.

If we are going to keep those seasons, let's go back to trad bows only and open-sighted flintlocks.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174575 02/08/16 07:34 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
And yes, the early bow-season does take something away from us as the bow hunter gets a head start on the biggest deer. Just because a lease might be rifle only, it doesn't mean your neighbors just across the fence won't be bow hunting.

ONE SEASON!

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174585 02/08/16 07:38 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
MULTIPLE SEASONS!

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: therancher] #6174593 02/08/16 07:41 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: therancher

The argument can be made that bow season actually puts more pressure on the deer than rifle hunting would. Scent, noise, access (because you have to get closer), etc could be more influential than someone sitting back at 100 yards.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174601 02/08/16 07:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
•In addition, the department is looking to implement additional “doe days” in 23 counties; and

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174602 02/08/16 07:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
4 days turnin folks loose on doe with a rifle is way to many to begin with in my area

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174604 02/08/16 07:48 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Muzzleloader season will be cool though.. wish they would allow archery with it

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174605 02/08/16 07:49 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: postoak
And yes, the early bow-season does take something away from us as the bow hunter gets a head start on the biggest deer. Just because a lease might be rifle only, it doesn't mean your neighbors just across the fence won't be bow hunting.

ONE SEASON!

Like many, you just want it easier for you. To heck with those who accept more of a challenge you don't want to accept. Again, the separate bow season is nothing new and nothing everyone cannot participate in if willing to do so.

There's not one iota of "unfairness" involved.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174606 02/08/16 07:50 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

ONE SEASON!

wtf

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6174617 02/08/16 07:57 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

ONE SEASON!

Like many, you just want it easier for you. To heck with those who accept more of a challenge you don't want to accept. Again, the separate bow season is nothing new and nothing everyone cannot participate in if willing to do so.

I explained at length why only rifles can tie in to the tradition of hunting I have. It has nothing to do with easier. AND that bow hunters get an unfair shot at the best deer. You can get the same challenge of bowhunting in an all-weapons season. Too hard, you say, well then it is YOU who want things easier, isn't it. I thought you like the challenge, LOL.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174618 02/08/16 07:57 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Just another in the trend where everyone wants the same prize without the same challenges. (Or more $$ in some cases - pretty easy to see why those "in the business" would love year-round hunting.)

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174623 02/08/16 07:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: postoak] #6174625 02/08/16 08:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

ONE SEASON!

I explained at length why only rifles can tie in to the tradition of hunting I have. It has nothing to do with easier. AND that bow hunters get an unfair shot at the best deer. You can get the same challenge of bowhunting in an all-weapons season. Too hard, you say, well then it is YOU who want things easier, isn't it. I thought you like the challenge, LOL.

It's only "unfair" to you because you aren't interested or willing to do it. Period. Nobody is hindering you from participating.

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: Navasot] #6174627 02/08/16 08:00 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Navasot

roflmao

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174635 02/08/16 08:03 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
when Texas harvest numbers actually cause a decline in Whitetails then season specific matters.

Many states have short rifle seasons because they can't handle the higher harvest numbers associated with rifles. Nothing more nothing less

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: jsplinter] #6174639 02/08/16 08:04 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Lots of whining to make things easy these days. Plus wanting what someone else who is willing to work harder has.

Pretty familiar.....

Re: I don't know if this has been posted yet [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6174643 02/08/16 08:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
when Texas harvest numbers actually cause a decline in Whitetails then season specific matters.

Many states have short rifle seasons because they can't handle the higher harvest numbers associated with rifles. Nothing more nothing less

TX has the largest harvest numbers in the nation. Just fine overall. No need to from a biology/harvest # standpoint to expand an already liberally long rifle season.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 02/08/16 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide