Forums46
Topics538,022
Posts9,731,931
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6115943 01/03/16 02:12 PM
L
lakewaydr50 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
One thing is for sure when I do a walk in hunts on the Barney, a certain percentage of them I'm going to get my feet tangled up in some tree limbs on the bottom of the shallow flats I hunt or step off in a hog waller or creek channel and take at least a partial dunking. Usually its not enough wetness for the gear I wear to really be a problem but if I do get to wet I'm usually no more than a ten minute walk from my truck. I do hunt by myself a lot as well. The one thing I would suggest besides extra dry gear would be to carry one of those military folding shovels so you can dig yourself free of the blackland if you get stuck, I would suggest having it in hand as you cross the mud into the water. I've had to dig my son loose a couple of times with my bare hands and thought I was going to have to leave a pair of waders behind before. Once you make it to the water everything is fine, its just that patch of mud you have to cross to get there that is the problem, most of you have experienced what I'm talking about......my two cents

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6117870 01/04/16 04:27 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
1. I always wear life jacket when I'm in a boat, even a kayak.
2. I keep my water-resistant phone in a water-proof case around my neck.
3. Have a wool blanket and full first aid kit in my truck (includes toilet paper and a spare set of drawers and sometimes dry clothes)
4. Carry a mini first aid kit, whistle, and thermal blanket in my blind bag/backpack. Extra shotgun shells can also be a signal as long as people don't think you are sky busting.
5. I tell people the general area I'm going; Close enough to find my truck. From there the search shouldn't be too hard with the help of the wardens by boat or on shore.

I prefer to hunt with friends but often hunt alone since most of my hunting friends seek less adventurous hunts like getting in a deer blind or sitting on a bucket and shooting dove.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6118044 01/04/16 06:26 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
I agree with you Guy! Everything I do is about the adventure! Without risk it really wouldn't be much fun for me! I'm not looking to get myself killed, but I choose not to fear it. Instead I stack the odds I'm my favor and give myself the best possible chance for success, but a little suffering is all part of the fun!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: wfhunter] #6118604 01/05/16 12:23 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: wfhunter
Just to shed some light on what started this topic. I have a friend who lives on Kaw Lake and was the area manager of this waterfowl unit until he retired 2 years ago. Information I recieved from him was obtained through contacts with Kaw area law enforcement. These guys headed out into part of the main lake in the dark, 40 mph wind, below freezing temperature in a 10' flat bottom boat, with no motor, one life jacket, a dozen decoys, a dog and an ice chest full of booze. The guy found had the life jacket on and the dog was found alive with him where he floated to the shore. The other guy may not show up until spring. It is a sad outcome for both their families, but they basically killed themselves.

That is so stupid, almost hard to believe.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6119053 01/05/16 03:58 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: wfhunter
Just to shed some light on what started this topic. I have a friend who lives on Kaw Lake and was the area manager of this waterfowl unit until he retired 2 years ago. Information I recieved from him was obtained through contacts with Kaw area law enforcement. These guys headed out into part of the main lake in the dark, 40 mph wind, below freezing temperature in a 10' flat bottom boat, with no motor, one life jacket, a dozen decoys, a dog and an ice chest full of booze. The guy found had the life jacket on and the dog was found alive with him where he floated to the shore. The other guy may not show up until spring. It is a sad outcome for both their families, but they basically killed themselves.

That is so stupid, almost hard to believe.

It really is. I'm not calling out the OP or his source, but I can't wrap my head around that, plus the post Strickland made on social media joking about going out in the storm. Mind blowing, really, that someone would be that reckless. I'm not trying to speak ill of them or say it's not sad or offend their family and friends, but...II find myself feeling less sad for two people that made about as bad a string of decisions as possible.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6119147 01/05/16 05:18 AM
L
Littledog Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
A couple local OK news agencies are reporting that Craig's body was found on shore a ways from the water and that he passed from hypothermia, not drowning. They also report a LEO stated that no PFDs were in use. I'm sure there will be several different accounts of the details. In any case, very sad when bad circumstances line up with bad decisions. Condolences to both families.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Littledog] #6120096 01/05/16 07:11 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Littledog
A couple local OK news agencies are reporting that Craig's body was found on shore a ways from the water and that he passed from hypothermia, not drowning. They also report a LEO stated that no PFDs were in use. I'm sure there will be several different accounts of the details. In any case, very sad when bad circumstances line up with bad decisions. Condolences to both families.

Yeah that whole thing is sad and my condolences to the family as well. The whole thing could have been preventable. Poor choices were made no doubt! It doesn't surprise me that hypothermia was the killer if that's indeed the case.

I think a valuable lesson to this whole thing is to make good decisions! It was their choice to head out into a storm! I don't fault them for that, as I went out in my canoe to hunt in the recent snowstorm we had. But in conditions described, I would not have gone! It's easy to Monday morning quarterback, But the lack of pfd's, A boat not suitable to the conditions, and I'm sure numerous other things likely contributed to their demise.

I can't say don't go in unfavorable conditions, because I enjoy hunting inclement weather myself! But be smart about it! If there is any doubt, don't go! Your life is precious and your family cares about you. If you do decide to go just be smart! Don't head out in rough conditions if your watercraft isn't capable of the conditions plus some. Most duck boats are not!

Wear your pfd's always! Wear clothing that will retain some insulating value when wet! Have emergency locating equipment; whistle, mirror, strobe, personal locating device, phone or whatever. Make sure it's on your person and protected from the elements if water sensitive! In the boat won't help you if the boat goes down!

Have an emergency blanket or even better an emergency bivy! They are cheap and they work, and fits in your pfd's pocket. I've used them in a wet snowstorm in the mountains when I was soaked to the underwear. I would have perished from hypothermia without it. ( http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy

have a reliable way to start a fire on your person. Again, In a dry box in the boat won't help you if your thrown from the boat. Remember cigarette lighters and matches don't work when wet. Keep them in a dry container other than a ziplock since they notoriously leak when you don't want them too.

If it's true he was found on the shore and died from hypothermia, then an emergency bivy and a fire, Could have saved his life!

I really hope by starting this thread that I have encouraged or inspired some of you to be mindful about being prepared! It cant save you from everything, but it sure beats not being prepared at all!

Cheers, and be safe out there.....and have fun!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6120231 01/05/16 08:08 PM
C
Creek2Creek Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Great post!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Creek2Creek] #6120780 01/06/16 12:19 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Creek2Creek
Great post!

Thank you sir!

It does look like he made it to shore in died of hypothermia!

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...days-searching/

Last edited by Spacemonkey; 01/06/16 12:26 AM.
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Greekangler] #6129043 01/10/16 10:03 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
No Life jackets number one cause of fatality. Kids/ adults get arrogant and don't use them. Had one on in 3 feet water setting up dekes today. Not worth it

Blankets key if hunting away from shelter in auto. Can also stow them in massive zip lock bags as well. Arrogance kills. Life to short to be stupid.

Blankets can be vacuum sealed in either food saver bags or the reusable ones you actually vacuum.

I have them in the truck, but have the mylar safety blanket in every pack and kit and blind bag.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6130844 01/11/16 09:49 PM
K
kdub Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
They are looking for the body of a fisherman right now on Texoma.

We had a close call last year. These days I always wear a pfd to and from the ramp to the hunting spot.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6132205 01/12/16 05:25 PM
T
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Three kayakers died last week. 1 on Canyon lake and 2 on Lake Buchanan. I think all of them from Hypothermia.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: TexasEd] #6150826 01/23/16 11:02 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My wife bought me this. grin

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6151856 01/24/16 05:23 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
this is one of the best threads ever. I don't duck hunt, I sold my bass boat last yr, I always had first aid, emergency gear n the boat, never started the big motor not having life vest on. for several yrs I have carried first aid and ect in my vehicles, even an axe (in case of getting into a damaged car) one thing everyone should have in their vehicle & is the knife with that glass breaking ability & seat belt blade

Last edited by colt45; 01/24/16 05:24 PM.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6151922 01/24/16 06:10 PM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
That's pretty nifty guy! Whatcha got in it? Some good life saving wiskey? How are you liking the new synthetic threads you bought?

Thanks colt45! I thought it was a pretty important thing to bring up because I think a lot of people never give it any thought!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6152021 01/24/16 07:27 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey
That's pretty nifty guy! Whatcha got in it? Some good life saving wiskey? How are you liking the new synthetic threads you bought?

If I get stranded, gotta have some whisky! Yeah loving my new threads, got new 5mm waders as well, always had 3mm. I haven't tested it yet, but these waders really want to float, if I strand on one leg, I can feel the other one wanting to float.

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Spacemonkey] #6152027 01/24/16 07:31 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like it as much as the next guy, but I think whiskey is what got those Oklahoma boys in trouble in the first place. Imbibe cautiously when you're out in the seriously cold.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Guy] #6152621 01/25/16 12:42 AM
S
Spacemonkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Guy
Originally Posted By: Spacemonkey

If I get stranded, gotta have some whisky! Yeah loving my new threads, got new 5mm waders as well, always had 3mm. I haven't tested it yet, but these waders really want to float, if I strand on one leg, I can feel the other one wanting to float.

Haha. I can imagine. I have to use nearly 25 lbs of lead weight in my 5mm dive suit just to get me to sink!

Glad your liking them. Would have hated to hear you didn't like them after recommending it!

Re: Wateterfowling emergency survival [Re: Creekrunner] #6152753 01/25/16 01:39 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I like it as much as the next guy, but I think whiskey is what got those Oklahoma boys in trouble in the first place

No, lack of common sense got those boys in trouble. FYI, I don't drink when I'm out on the water, but special situations with friends I would.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide