Forums46
Topics538,201
Posts9,734,251
Members87,075
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6038751 11/19/15 04:28 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I see what you are saying. Our neighborhood is broken up into 10 acre tracts and some properties have mobile home and some are just land. None of the tracts have been cleared for livestock so I feel we still provide good cover for the wildlife. The funny thing to me when I first looked at the land and talked to my neighbor was that we have an HOA, he was the person that started it and was the president up until last year. He said the only things they really have it for is to ensure none of the tracts turn into hunting camps (meaning a bunch of hunters on one tract so we don't end up with a guy with 9 set ups like you have)obviously we can use it solely for hunting they just don't want it to get out of hand and guns shooting everywhere, and to collect a little money to help pay to grade the road when needed.

I am going to bring up a deer management idea at the next HOA meeting and see what everyone thinks. Back home in Wisconsin we had land we hunted on that was owned by a farmer, when he sold it, he broke it out into 10-100 acres tracts and everyone of us that purchased it immediately sat down and came up with a management program between ourselves which included, with the exception of someone's first buck you could not shoot a basket rack, had to be outside the ears. It is a lot like the AR down here, and man did it help produce some quality deer now on our land.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6038769 11/19/15 04:35 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Just my 2cents.. We were one of the later counties to adopt ARs and I used to hope and pray they would never adopt that rule. I've been hunting at our ranch my whole life and by the time we finally did adopt ARs, we had only killed 2 bucks that would be considered 'legal'. I was convinced they just didn't get big on our ranch. Funny thing is every year since we adopted ARs, the bucks have gotten bigger consistently, without fail. This has been the best year so far, we have 7 different bucks 4.5 and older regularly showing up on camera. First time we've been able to pick and choose which bucks we want to take. I'm a firm supporter of ARs. Sure, they're not perfect, but how can you make a law like that perfect? I think they got it as close as possible!

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Long Pine] #6038777 11/19/15 04:41 PM
Y
yeti2009 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Y

Originally Posted By: Long Pine
You just supported the point about fractured land. You have 10 acres and how many deer do you harvest from that 10 acres? If you shoot more than one deer every three years you are over harvesting for most AR counties.
Especially in the AR areas, we rely on TPWD to manage our resource because most hunters will not. Everyone wants more deer, and most would like bigger bucks, but not at their expense of decreasing their harvest.

I just see this issue only getting more complex due to more subdivided and fractured properties with a rapidly increasing population in our state and more large land owners selling out, dying off, etc. I have personally witnessed people on their 10ac. ranchettes hunt the hell out of it--Ex. Every family member and extended family member harvesting a buck on a 10 acre place. And I can personally speak from experience about specific counties in Central Texas where 10-15 years ago you would rarely see deer.

I enjoy seeing mature deer, regardless if I can shoot them or not. It's just good to see them and know they exist in my parts.

A lot of people claim to be meat hunters and hate AR's, but what I find contradicting is that a lot of these same people were the first to blast away a 2.5y.o. skin and bones buck. If I am meat hunting, I would want something bigger and mature anyways. Just makes me scratch my head.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6038793 11/19/15 04:46 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I think a lot of it comes from gathering the knowledge on proper management too and the "neighbor theory" that I learned here. I posted a pic of a buck that was probably only two years old and asked if people would shoot because if I didn't he would probably get harvested anyway. I was responded with if I shoot a buck because I am worried about my neighbor shooting the buck then I am that neighbor. I never thought of it like that but I liked the idea. I am not looking for him this year now in hopes he will survive and produce some offspring with his genes.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: yeti2009] #6039025 11/19/15 07:06 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: yeti2009
A lot of people claim to be meat hunters and hate AR's, but what I find contradicting is that a lot of these same people were the first to blast away a 2.5y.o. skin and bones buck. If I am meat hunting, I would want something bigger and mature anyways. Just makes me scratch my head.

It's not just "meat hunters", it's "I've gotta kill a buck NOW" hunters. Second Saturday of rifle season, 8 days in, we had a hunter come in with a barely legal, young buck...his words "I haven't seen anything better, so I shot him. If I didnt, I'll probably not kill anything this year" eeks333 what tha?!? It's your THIRD DAY of hunting!!! He spent more time mowing the pipeline 2 weeks into bow season, than he did sitting in his stand. A guy hunting 800 yards down the pipeline kept seeing deer cross right by this fellows stand, and this 2.5 year old deer was all he saw?!? bang

I'm roughly 1,000 away from this guy in the creek bottom, and have 5-6 mature bucks on camera. Now granted, they may not feed slowly across the pipeline...but during the rut, I would be willing to bet they cross it while chasing. But he decided on his 5th sit, that he wasn't gonna see anything better than the young buck rolleyes

Oh well...more mature deer for the rest of us to choose from grin

Originally Posted by East...
I will get off in a little bit

You shouldnt have said that
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6039059 11/19/15 07:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
And how many Deer in a AR County after killed and do not measure up are left for the buzzards?

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Navasot] #6039060 11/19/15 07:19 PM
B
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: rattler03
isn't this basically what tpwd already has in place for the AR counties? they don't designate which tag can be used for your AR buck, but you are basically limited to 1 AR qualifying buck, 1 cull (a buck that has at least one spike antler) and X amount of does depending on county. from what I could understand of your proposal this is basically the same except you allow 1 more spike to be taken, which goes against your stated purpose (letting more bucks walk) of changing the tagging system. the reason tpwd has the tags listed the way they do is so that all tags can be used under all specific county requirements and that's why they added the log on the back of the license where you list all deer you have taken that year. for example, my dad gets the same tags I do even though he hunts in a non-AR county we just use them differently. if you changed it to your idea, a single hunter would be able to kill 4 or 5 bucks if he hunted in a county with ARs and a different county without ARs. That's a lot bucks for one hunter to kill.

if you want to change the definition or a legal AR buck, or put in an exemption to the AR rule for a deer over a certain age, then it might be a good idea. otherwise, I don't see how you are actually changing the current system and you may be allowing each hunter to kill twice as many bucks than he currently can if were able to hunt in more than one county.

that's what they are trying to do but you cant expect to make a law about something that involves so much learning and still no one gets it right 100% of the time
If it still has milk on its lips dont shoot it.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TxDispatcher] #6039071 11/19/15 07:22 PM
B
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
Originally Posted By: yeti2009

It's not just "meat hunters", it's "I've gotta kill a buck NOW" hunters. Second Saturday of rifle season, 8 days in, we had a hunter come in with a barely legal, young buck...his words "I haven't seen anything better, so I shot him. If I didnt, I'll probably not kill anything this year" eeks333 what tha?!? It's your THIRD DAY of hunting!!! He spent more time mowing the pipeline 2 weeks into bow season, than he did sitting in his stand. A guy hunting 800 yards down the pipeline kept seeing deer cross right by this fellows stand, and this 2.5 year old deer was all he saw?!? bang

I'm roughly 1,000 away from this guy in the creek bottom, and have 5-6 mature bucks on camera. Now granted, they may not feed slowly across the pipeline...but during the rut, I would be willing to bet they cross it while chasing. But he decided on his 5th sit, that he wasn't gonna see anything better than the young buck rolleyes

Oh well...more mature deer for the rest of us to choose from grin
And one less up comer for yall to. Ive been on places like that and cant stand it.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6039148 11/19/15 07:58 PM
R
RovingTexan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Just my personal opinion. I agree with another poster that mentioned an exemption for young hunters. Yes, some people would abuse the system, but there will always be a certain percentage of people who are going to cheat.

4 years ago I retired from the military and moved back home. The first season that came around I took my son (8 at the time) hunting. We went out before season and bought him a single shot Rossi in .243. A couple of Saturday mornings were spent at the range practicing and he got pretty good. Our first trip to the stand we didn't see anything. Our second trip out an 8 pt walked out 50 yards from us broadside. The buck looked away and he was probably 12". Just inside the ears. I told my son he had to let him go. 4 years later and he still refuses to go hunting with me again. Now at 12 he's too into video games and computers to want to get up early and go. I still believe that if he had got that first buck it would have instilled the love for hunting we all have.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: RovingTexan] #6039162 11/19/15 08:06 PM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: RovingTexan
Just my personal opinion. I agree with another poster that mentioned an exemption for young hunters. Yes, some people would abuse the system, but there will always be a certain percentage of people who are going to cheat.

4 years ago I retired from the military and moved back home. The first season that came around I took my son (8 at the time) hunting. We went out before season and bought him a single shot Rossi in .243. A couple of Saturday mornings were spent at the range practicing and he got pretty good. Our first trip to the stand we didn't see anything. Our second trip out an 8 pt walked out 50 yards from us broadside. The buck looked away and he was probably 12". Just inside the ears. I told my son he had to let him go. 4 years later and he still refuses to go hunting with me again. Now at 12 he's too into video games and computers to want to get up early and go. I still believe that if he had got that first buck it would have instilled the love for hunting we all have.

I can see where that is a problem. Hate to hear it frown

I've told my kids that it's doe first, then either a true spike (not a yearling) or a legal buck. But they have to shoot a doe first. Imagine my surprise when they all said "we want to shoot a hog first" grin no problem...we have PLENTY of those bastages to take out, so fire away rifle so that's what the focus is this year. And for the next 11 months grin I figure by next season, they'll be confident in their skills, and I will probably open it up the them killing whatever they desire. But they love going to the lease, no matter what.

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: RovingTexan] #6039187 11/19/15 08:22 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: RovingTexan

Two hunts and he was done? I don't buy that not shooting that deer did that. It's called hunting, not killing. I hunted with my dad for two years when I was 8-9, probably 20-30 sits back when it was something else to even see one deer on a hunt. He never killed a deer while I was with him. The third year, my first hunting by myself, I got a yearling (1.5 yr old) doe on my third sit, and got a mature doe in late December. I didn't get a buck until my second year and it was the day after Christmas. In the last 35+ years I bet I haven't missed opening day but about 4-5 times. I love to hunt and be in the woods but maybe it's not for everybody, especially the instant gratification age.

And I guarantee that there would be an inordinate number of 3 year old hunters out there if they allowed kids to shoot whatever they wanted. Have you seen the AT&T commercial where the guy is buying his infant a cell phone because 'he uses so much data'? People suck.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Branden] #6039218 11/19/15 08:42 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: Branden
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: rattler03
isn't this basically what tpwd already has in place for the AR counties? they don't designate which tag can be used for your AR buck, but you are basically limited to 1 AR qualifying buck, 1 cull (a buck that has at least one spike antler) and X amount of does depending on county. from what I could understand of your proposal this is basically the same except you allow 1 more spike to be taken, which goes against your stated purpose (letting more bucks walk) of changing the tagging system. the reason tpwd has the tags listed the way they do is so that all tags can be used under all specific county requirements and that's why they added the log on the back of the license where you list all deer you have taken that year. for example, my dad gets the same tags I do even though he hunts in a non-AR county we just use them differently. if you changed it to your idea, a single hunter would be able to kill 4 or 5 bucks if he hunted in a county with ARs and a different county without ARs. That's a lot bucks for one hunter to kill.

if you want to change the definition or a legal AR buck, or put in an exemption to the AR rule for a deer over a certain age, then it might be a good idea. otherwise, I don't see how you are actually changing the current system and you may be allowing each hunter to kill twice as many bucks than he currently can if were able to hunt in more than one county.

that's what they are trying to do but you cant expect to make a law about something that involves so much learning and still no one gets it right 100% of the time
If it still has milk on its lips dont shoot it.

Goes a bit deeper than that lol

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6039253 11/19/15 09:09 PM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
So let's say a hunter who's been hunting all season has not seen
a deer to shoot, (it happens) and winds up shooting the first legal deer he or she sees
simply to honest to God get venison in the freezer, even prior to ARs.
Could that person not be considered a meat hunter?
There are hunters out there who in their heart and souls,
consider themselves meat hunters. So who is anyone else to try telling them any different??
Why is it a deer hunter can't be considered a meat but say a rabbit, squirrel or bird hunter can.
Could it be simply because antlers are held in such high regard?

confused2

P.S.- I'm headed to the lease tomorrow for a few days to hopefully shoot a legal deer to get some venison.
Good luck and be safe to anyone else headed out to hunt no matter what kind of hunter you are!

up

Last edited by Curly; 11/19/15 09:14 PM.
Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6039628 11/20/15 01:11 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Is it possible to be both?

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Longhunter] #6039731 11/20/15 01:57 AM
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Overrated
C
Originally Posted By: Longhunter
Is it possible to be both?

You can be just a trophy hunter,
or a trophy and meat hunter but apparently
from what I gather on here, there's no such thing as just a meat hunter.
confused2

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: TXGH] #6039764 11/20/15 02:11 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Yea, ain't that the way it usually goes with these? Anyway, its been awhile, good luck with your hunt...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: My take on Antler Restrictions and my proposal to better the system. [Re: Curly] #6039948 11/20/15 04:07 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Curly
So let's say a hunter who's been hunting all season has not seen
a deer to shoot, (it happens) and winds up shooting the first legal deer he or she sees
simply to honest to God get venison in the freezer, even prior to ARs.
Could that person not be considered a meat hunter?
There are hunters out there who in their heart and souls,
consider themselves meat hunters. So who is anyone else to try telling them any different??
Why is it a deer hunter can't be considered a meat but say a rabbit, squirrel or bird hunter can.
Could it be simply because antlers are held in such high regard?

confused2

P.S.- I'm headed to the lease tomorrow for a few days to hopefully shoot a legal deer to get some venison.
Good luck and be safe to anyone else headed out to hunt no matter what kind of hunter you are!

up

Hell no, there's nothing wrong with that. If I had a freezer that was barren of venison, I'd do the same damn thing cheers but for a man to pay $XXXX for a lease spot, and sit for literally a handful of hours in 2.5 days, and decide "this is all I'm gonna see this year" and shoot a barely legal deer...it's a little bit of a stretch. Especially since he shot a NICE 11 pt last year on the 4th weekend. Maybe he just didn't feel like sitting as many sits this year, I don't know.

And make no mistake, I'm not calling you or anyone else out for any deer you decide to kill. If it's legal, you have every right to shoot it, and I'll congratulate you as soon as I know you have been successful. Hell, I walked up to him and shook his hand and congratulated him as he was gutting his deer. But good grief, I just wish he had stayed awake and given it more time before deciding "this is all I'll see" grin

But he doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do...it's none of my business. I was simply speaking my thoughts up

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide