Print Thread
Barrel Cleaning #601308 02/15/09 01:38 PM
M
Monty Wright Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
M
I would like to know how you all clean your rifle barrels. Each Step, how long to do it, specific products used, and so on. Thanks for you time

Re: Barrel Cleaning [Re: Monty Wright] #601309 02/15/09 11:29 PM
J
Jim_Bob Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
For smaller calibers, I uses shooter's choice copper remover:
http://www.gundogsonline.com/shooting-su...er-remover.html

I am a big fan of JB's bore cleaner for just about everything else.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1160

Just follow the instructions on the containers.

My process looks like this on all bolt action rifles
1) Wet patch with No. 9 solvent and run back and forth 5 or 6 times through the barrel using a bore guide.
http://www.hoppes.com/products/solvents.html

2) Run dry patches through until dry - usually 3 or 4 patches
3) Use copper remover as instructed - if I am cleaning a small bore rifle that has been shot a lot of times - dont forget to follow the step that has you nutralize this solution - I use #9 solvent again.
4) Use JB's as instructed - I skip #3 if it is a normal cleaning without the thought that I have copper build up.
5) Repeat steps 1 and 2
6) Run a wet patch of Barricade through the barrel http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/maintenance_index.asp?categoryID=2&subcat=3&prodcat=75

7) Run a final dry patch.

This is what I do. Some folks probably have a better way but this works for me. I never have been a fan of brushes for rifles

Jim

Visit my site to see some cool targets...

www.master-target.com
Re: Barrel Cleaning [Re: Jim_Bob] #601310 02/16/09 06:01 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Here's my procedure. Copied from a past post.

My routine:

I use a nylon brush with Shooter's Choice first. Sop the brush down, and make three or four passes. Let sit a minute or two, then patch out.

Grab another brush, and repeat.

This will remove the powder fouling.

Then I use a bore mop loaded with Sweets 7.62. A few passes and let it sit for five minutes. Patch out.

Grab a new mop, and repeat.

Repeat until the patches come out with no blue on them (the blue is the copper).

Once clean patches are coming out, I use another clean nylon brush with Shooter's Choice to break down the Sweets. Patch out.

Then a large nylon brush with shooter's Choice, and scrub the chamber. Then patch out.

Then a bore mop with Rem Oil through the chamber and bore. Patch out thoroughly.

Spray my bolt out with carb cleaner. Then a light coat of Rem Oil. Same on the muzzle break if the rifle has one.

And I always fire two fouler shots to get the oil out if the rifle will be in use. Then fire one group to verify point of impact. If not to be used I store it without firing. But I will always fire it to verify point of impact before a hunting trip. It's condition then always stays the same until it gets put up (long term) again.

As needed I will break a rifle down to clean the trigger assembly and any other moving parts it may have. These are the most neglected areas in all rifles. Mine too. But I try to be conscious about it when I can.

I never clean my rifle in the middle of a season. Unless the bore got wet from hunting in the rain. I might wipe down the exterior now and then, but the bore remains untouched until the season is over. I start the season with the rifle clean, other than the two fouler shots. And there's no way I shoot enough rounds through one in a single season to warrant cleaning it.

The are many routines, mine is not the only way to do it. But whatever anyone does, it should be a routine. The rifle should be in the exact same condition when you shoot an animal every time. That way you know where that bullet is going to hit. Be it an oiled barrel, and fouled barrel, or dirty barrel.

And I never run a dirty tool down the bore. Every pass is with a clean tool.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Barrel Cleaning [Re: psycho0819] #601311 02/16/09 07:04 PM
B
brooks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
i do pretty well the same as psycho except i use barnes solvent or hoppes copper solvent, and a brass brush. i would strongly recommend a dewey cleaning rod.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide