Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5973432 10/12/15 05:23 PM
B
Big_Ag Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I've bow hunted (compound) for nearly 30 years. I shot a small 8 point buck out of a tree stand the first morning I ever bow hunted and was hooked. I began bow hunting as a way to extend my hunting season. I had a streak of about 10 years where I was fortunate enough to kill a deer with my bow every bow season. However, I always put down my bow and picked up my rifle come general season if I was still hunting for a trophy buck.

I just purchased a crossbow for two reasons: 1) I have had much less time the past few years to put in the practice and prepare for bow season as I have had in the past. 2) My daughter, after taking outdoor ed in school and is an accomplished rifle hunter, is interested in hunting with a crossbow.

This weekend, I set up the crossbow and got it sighted in. A few things I quickly realized compared to a compound bow. 1) Sighting in was quick and easy. The sight is just like you have on a rifle and I was able to dial it in and hit the bullseye at 20 yards after just a few shots. 2) It is very accurate and does not require the amount of practice that shooting a compound does. 3) it seems much faster and shoots much flatter than my 300fps PSE. 4) It is much louder, as mentioned, than my compound 5) I don't see anyway possible to [censored] the crossbow from a tree stand or tripod safely. I would limit to hunting from the ground or in an elevated box stand. 6) As also mentioned, reloading and not being noticed seems impossible unless you are in an enclosed blind.

I will continue to hunt with a compound bow as well as a rifle. With that said, I am really looking forward to trying out the new compound as early as this weekend. I now know that when my time is more limited, I have a physical impairment, or I want my daughter to be able to hunt during archery season, I now have an ethical and legal alternative. I have not officially hunted with it yet, but to me the crossbow will still have all the elements of bow hunting with a compound (i.e. getting close, scent control, playing the wind, patterning deer movement, etc.), but does not require as much time practicing to become proficient. It is still hunting and much more challenging than hunting with a rifle. My two cents.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5974561 10/13/15 02:45 AM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Yeah, and I bet nobody ever dropped the string or hit a release in the middle of drawing a compound. rolleyes

True, but when you're drawing a bow, you're about to shoot. It's extremely difficult to draw the bow and point it at yourself. On the other hand it's common to [censored] the crossbow well ahead of time rather than to wait until you're about to take a shot. Combine this with a defect like the one in the link and there's a SERIOUS chance someone could hurt themselves or someone else. People rarely draw their bow when someone is in front of them. So YES safety is a bigger issue with a crossbow. I'm not trying to be anti-crossbow. I'm trying to be helpful and cover ALL of the bases.

Pablo

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: DonPablo] #5974598 10/13/15 02:56 AM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: DonPablo
Safety's another thing to consider:

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Recall Summary
Name of product:

Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbows
Hazard:

The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders.

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Excalibur Crossbow at (800) 463-1817 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.excaliburcrossbow.com and click on “Important Safety Notice for Matrix 405 Owners” for more information.

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Excalibur-Recalls-Crossbows/

Scary! eek2

I owned a Remington like that. peep

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5974747 10/13/15 10:39 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
By the way, my compound is faster than my crossbow. And as those who hunt with a crossbow already know, toting a CB through the woods sucks. If a hunter really doesn't have the heart for hunting with a crossbow, after a couple of trips, they'll hang that sucker up for good.

[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: DonPablo] #5974939 10/13/15 01:43 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Yeah, and I bet nobody ever dropped the string or hit a release in the middle of drawing a compound. rolleyes

True, but when you're drawing a bow, you're about to shoot. It's extremely difficult to draw the bow and point it at yourself. On the other hand it's common to [censored] the crossbow well ahead of time rather than to wait until you're about to take a shot. Combine this with a defect like the one in the link and there's a SERIOUS chance someone could hurt themselves or someone else. People rarely draw their bow when someone is in front of them. So YES safety is a bigger issue with a crossbow. I'm not trying to be anti-crossbow. I'm trying to be helpful and cover ALL of the bases.

Pablo

But you didn't mention any of that in your post, you just posted a recall notice of one model from one mfg. It would be like saying cars aren't safe because Ferrari had a recall. You should have included what you wrote in this post in the original.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5974963 10/13/15 01:55 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Pablo

But you didn't mention any of that in your post, you just posted a recall notice of one model from one mfg. It would be like saying cars aren't safe because Ferrari had a recall. You should have included what you wrote in this post in the original.

haha

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5976394 10/14/15 02:26 AM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

You know what? I apologize. You're absolutely right. I should have. I saw the other post and thought, "Oh yeah, I left out safety concerns." I quoted the post and, like a dummy, assumed the safety differences were a given. My bad.

Pablo

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #5977769 10/14/15 11:05 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
So you use a recurve? You know, kind cheating without one
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt
Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: DonPablo] #5977794 10/14/15 11:23 PM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

You know what? I apologize. You're absolutely right. I should have. I saw the other post and thought, "Oh yeah, I left out safety concerns." I quoted the post and, like a dummy, assumed the safety differences were a given. My bad.

Pablo

You are quite correct, you must treat a crossbow the same as a rifle, and once it is loaded its is LOADED. You also have to remember not to get your fingers in the way of the string when shooting, as posted here the other day. I am careful with mine but I think I'm more nervous with it than I am with a rifle.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: hoof n wings] #5977826 10/14/15 11:47 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
So you use a recurve? You know, kind cheating without one

up

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5977883 10/15/15 12:13 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don't have anything against crossbows. But I don't have a very high opinion of the law that allowed crossbows during archery season. They are easier to use because much less practice is required and it is easier to kill an animal with one because doing away with the need to draw is a big advantage.

The law regarding crossbow use during archery season did and does not increase new hunter recruitment. It is simply a means for folks who are normally rifle hunters to get an early start without having to take the practice time it takes to become proficient with a bow. New deer hunters almost always begin with a rifle.

I am somewhat of a traditionalist, so my opinions (as usual) kind of go along with that.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5977906 10/15/15 12:25 AM
Q
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't have anything against crossbows. But I don't have a very high opinion of the law that allowed crossbows during archery season. They are easier to use because much less practice is required and it is easier to kill an animal with one because doing away with the need to draw is a big advantage.

The law regarding crossbow use during archery season did and does not increase new hunter recruitment. It is simply a means for folks who are normally rifle hunters to get an early start without having to take the practice time it takes to become proficient with a bow. New deer hunters almost always begin with a rifle.

I am somewhat of a traditionalist, so my opinions (as usual) kind of go along with that.

I don't see it being much different. You are still limited to the same range. Yes, it is already drawn, but you can sit in a pop up with a screen or a really tall stand and not be seen drawing a compound. You still have to practice and I bet crossbows result in cleaner kills per shots fired.

In any event it gets hunters in the woods which is a good thing.

[Linked Image]

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #5979994 10/16/15 05:43 AM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

Bows seem like cheating to me. I personally like the challenge of chasing down deer and catching the deer with my teeth but only when they're running. No challenge when they're standing still head down in a pile of corn. May as well cheat and use a bow if you're gonna kill one standing still.

Call me an elitist if you will, but when I hunt, it's incisors or nothing. If you're using your molars to increase the chance of a successful hunt you may as well use a bow.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980082 10/16/15 11:43 AM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Let me just say your crossbow does not have to be loud. on 10-4 I set up in a folding chair next to a cedar tree and my back against the neighbors barbed wire fence. Yes I made a set on the fence line. I cut some tall weeds and wove them thru the fence to give me something behind me. yes I made the fence line part of my blind. I made 2 mistakes . I did not have my ranges correct and I had my bow sighted in at 30, 40 and 50 yds. I shoot a wicked ridge warrior with the 10-point bowjax installed. Had 4 bucks come in what would be 20 yds from me and I let bolt fly on a big 10pt. Arrow flew right over his back. the 3 other bucks startled but he just came to attention and checked the air. they never looked in my direction and I was exposed from the chest up. they settled down and went to feeder which I had stepped of at 50 yds. Pull crossbow of stick. placed but under my chin and hand drew. I placed another bolt and let fly. went right under his chest. deer startled from arrow hitting gound and brush. the big 10 and big 8 ran toward me and turned at 20 yds out and walked back to the creek and woods to my left. they settled down again and as I was drawing the bow again they came back. let the third bolt fly and right over his back. the arrow crashed thru the trees and the startled and walked back into the woods to not come back again. none of these bucks looked my direction because of the nose from the crossbow. now yall can bash me all you want but I was using evercalm as my cover and was wearing a full HECS suit. some of yall say they do not work. the following sunday I sat and did not see anything but waling up the county rd back to my camper 2 teenage boys were riding their horses. as we approached each other the horses started freaking out and rearing up. they both said they had never acted like that before.
but back to subject. your crossbow does not have to be loud.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980121 10/16/15 12:36 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
what ever is legal use it. I go through stages where I want to be very traditional as well as years where I shoot a modern bow. I have even shot a crossbow in regular hunting season. To each his own.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: waderaider1] #5980160 10/16/15 12:56 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: waderaider1
Let me just say your crossbow does not have to be loud. on 10-4 I set up in a folding chair next to a cedar tree and my back against the neighbors barbed wire fence. Yes I made a set on the fence line. I cut some tall weeds and wove them thru the fence to give me something behind me. yes I made the fence line part of my blind. I made 2 mistakes . I did not have my ranges correct and I had my bow sighted in at 30, 40 and 50 yds. I shoot a wicked ridge warrior with the 10-point bowjax installed. Had 4 bucks come in what would be 20 yds from me and I let bolt fly on a big 10pt. Arrow flew right over his back. the 3 other bucks startled but he just came to attention and checked the air. they never looked in my direction and I was exposed from the chest up. they settled down and went to feeder which I had stepped of at 50 yds. Pull crossbow of stick. placed but under my chin and hand drew. I placed another bolt and let fly. went right under his chest. deer startled from arrow hitting gound and brush. the big 10 and big 8 ran toward me and turned at 20 yds out and walked back to the creek and woods to my left. they settled down again and as I was drawing the bow again they came back. let the third bolt fly and right over his back. the arrow crashed thru the trees and the startled and walked back into the woods to not come back again. none of these bucks looked my direction because of the nose from the crossbow. now yall can bash me all you want but I was using evercalm as my cover and was wearing a full HECS suit. some of yall say they do not work. the following sunday I sat and did not see anything but waling up the county rd back to my camper 2 teenage boys were riding their horses. as we approached each other the horses started freaking out and rearing up. they both said they had never acted like that before.

great story, might want to re-check them sight pins...

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980342 10/16/15 02:52 PM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
JSHOUSE I picked up a range finder and reset the bow to 20, 30 and 40 yd. just hope I see him again as the group has probably broken up and they are starting to roam.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: waderaider1] #5980637 10/16/15 06:19 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

Which made the crossbow quieter? The evercalm, or the suit?

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980741 10/16/15 07:21 PM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
If you can comprehend what you read i have the
10 pt bowjax installed to quiet my xbow. I expected
Some wise cracks about the suit, the evercalm and
The fence line. So predictable.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980768 10/16/15 07:46 PM
T
Texmel Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Well as I aged found that drawing and holding a compound bow at full draw was a bit much. Went to Cabelas and bought a Cross Bow with a crank to [censored] the sucker. Seems to weigh a ton but use a bipod to set up for shot. Bless you young studs that can hunt with a Compound bow. But the Deer Season is coming that U will join the old timers with cross bows. That is if you want to do the Archery bit. We just need to be thankful that there is an option for all to extend our enjoyment of getting out doors and having a good time. Just take that macho stuff and shove it.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5980795 10/16/15 08:11 PM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Agreed

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: waderaider1] #5980799 10/16/15 08:15 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

keep doin you

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: waderaider1] #5980809 10/16/15 08:21 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

Unless somebody is a crossbow hunter, they probably dont know what a 10 pt bow jax is. Had you explained what it was, I wouldn't have been such a smart [censored].

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: waderaider1] #5988775 10/22/15 02:29 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Kind of predictable like someone setting a bling on a fence, knowing a comment would be made about it, yet posting away? Why even mention the suit or fence blind.......... unless you were wanting someone to comment on it?
AS for comprehending, how many on here that don't use a bowjax know what one is?

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Texmel] #5988878 10/22/15 03:29 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers Texmel For me its a messed up shoulder that stoped me from hunting the OSB couple years ago... Don't do no good ta complain... flag

i'm postaddic
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide