Texas Hunting Forum

bow vs crossbow

Posted By: Bigfoot

bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 06:29 PM

What are the pros and cons?

I like the idea of a crossbow personally but what say the hunting crowd?

Thinking about having one for next season
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 06:39 PM

Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting
Posted By: texashelms

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 06:45 PM

Crossbows are easy to use and setup, little practice needed, very hard to reload quickly.

Bows easy to move around with walking/hunting, quick reloads, practice is required
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 06:56 PM

I agree with Bill.

I dont like the idea of xguns during Archery season but they are legal so that's about it.
I will add to helms by saying they have scopes and the xgun is held at a full drawn position.
My $.02 is that a xgun is the easy way out for an able bodied hunter. I do not believe that someone who hunts with a xgun should EVER call themselves a bow hunter.

Now with this being said, I think they are great for kids, older hunters or disabled hunters who cant draw a bow so I think they have their place. Also, anything that gets folks out hunitng is a good thing.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 06:58 PM

It's legal. Do your best, still takes practice.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:09 PM

I think its a joke that bow hunters get a head start.

I bow hunt... with a bow, not an x bow and I do hunt during bow season, but its all my choice, bow hunters just want to say x-bows are cheateing etc. to keep others out of the woods longer and keep them from shooting "their deer". Why on earth does using a bow entitle you to more season? I hunted a property for years that didn't allow people to hunt during bow season because most didn't bow hunt... they didn't allow youth season hunting either because most were not youth, I didn't have a problem with either. You want to challenge yourself by bowhunting well that's great do it, but if your going to make it easier then its not about challenging yourself now is it. Don't matter what your hunting with as long as your out there hunting. up
Posted By: winner

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:16 PM

I hunt with a crossbow... and I agree it is easier than bow hunting. During rifle season I hunt in a blind with a heater... and I also agree that it is easier than bow hunting. I also hunt the entire time with the assistance of a corn feeder... again, easier. Oh, and I use game cameras that let me know when animals frequently come by my feeder...
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:27 PM

Being handicapped and 71 years old I have purchased a cross bow. However, when I purchased it the sales guy was pretty snobbish about using a crossbow. So, I asked him what he hunted with? He said a compound bow to keep the "primitive" in hunting as it should be. Hello, compound bows are just about as technically advanced as any weapon can get! If he had said Long Bow he may have had a point. Oh well, each to his own.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:31 PM

The main difference between the two is that you have to draw a bow once the deer is in range or close to being in range. This requires significant motion, whereas you only have to raise a crossbow to a shooting position and that can be done sooner and with less motion and held for much longer. Deer see motion well and particularly well at bow ranges. Also, shooting a bow does require a lot of practice to be proficient, where much less is required with a crossbow. Both are limited to about the same range.

I don't really view a crossbow as cheating because A)It's legal and B)I've seen enough guys either in a 25-30ft tree stand or in a pop-up/blind with a screen that both hide you while you draw, thus negating the draw argument. Plus, as pointed out above, it's another way to get people hunting. I like the extra season for that as well; more hunters = up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

Both kill

One weighes a ton the other not as much. One isn't always fun to try to load quickly and shoot and unload.

Both take practice to be competent.

Pick one or both and have fun!!! Why we hunt anyway
Posted By: Phantom

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:42 PM

I like to use a crossbow but only in regular season. It is legal so go for it. For me I keep with my bow.
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:47 PM

I had a compound bow, but had surgery on my neck so I will never be able to draw/hold one again
I plan to get a crossbow for next year
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:50 PM

Xbows have there place if a person wants to bow hunt and can't draw regular bow. How long ago was it the trad hunters were bent out of shape over compounds?
Posted By: jshouse

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

"cheating" implies there is some sort of competition going on...who are you competing with while hunting?
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 07:56 PM

The hardest part to bow hunting is getting close enough to kill a deer. That still applies to cross bow hunting. I got to where I just wasn't practicing enough with my compound that I didn't feel confident using it on an animal. Switched to a cross bow and one or two shots to see if it's still accurate and I'm good to go.

My Barnett is crazy accurate, but so loud that I won't take a shot over 25 yds.

JR
Posted By: titan2232

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:01 PM

These two methods of hunting are night and day different IMO. It is very difficult for me personally to feel accomplished killing a deer with a rifle and I think I'd feel the same way with a crossbow. There's nothing like bow hunting and I do it throughout the season unless my wife or son wants to go on a hunt.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: winner
I hunt with a crossbow... and I agree it is easier than bow hunting. During rifle season I hunt in a blind with a heater... and I also agree that it is easier than bow hunting. I also hunt the entire time with the assistance of a corn feeder... again, easier. Oh, and I use game cameras that let me know when animals frequently come by my feeder...

Pure Greatness!!! Is it legal? YES!! Does it get more people into our great tradition of hunting?? YES!! Should it be looked down upon. NO! All Hunters should be united... OH and thanks to getting MS I'm hunting with a crossbow now.. Love every minute of it.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:15 PM

I took a ladder fall unto my shoulder and pulling a bow wasn't happening anymore. So I got a crossbow, then my wife got involved in bows. Now she has a crossbow too. We have a blast this time of year.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:19 PM

Does anyone else hut because they like it?

I don't hunt because its hard, I don't hunt to feel accomplished I don't hunt for some kind of gratification or to compete with others on how big a buck I shot, I hunt because I was raised doing it with my father and grandfather and it was fun. I hunt with a bow, muzzle loader, shotgun slugs, rifle, and pistol because its fun. Is there a difference between a long bow and a scoped hi powered rifle? You bet but I still just have fun hunting.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
These two methods of hunting are night and day different IMO. It is very difficult for me personally to feel accomplished killing a deer with a rifle and I think I'd feel the same way with a crossbow. There's nothing like bow hunting and I do it throughout the season unless my wife or son wants to go on a hunt.

I hunt with a bow occasionally, used to regularly, but time keeps me from feeling like I am accurate enough. Bow hunter mentality is what makes me laugh. I can't shoot a trophy with a gun so I will shoot a younger smaller deer with a bow and call it a trophy.

I am all for anyone who wants to be in the woods but it only takes a small look in the deer hunting section on this site to see how a compound bow could be lumped into the ethical vs morale debate. Too many threads with lost deer and poor shot placement. Not to mention the ones who would never post on here about losing a deer due to poor shot placement.

With that being said I think crossbows are fine, legal, and easier to shoot which should equate to a higher kill ratio.
Posted By: Slicktricked

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 08:42 PM

I shot a good sized doe with my bow yesterday, it was my first white tail with a bow. To me it is a huge trophy. I think the assessment of a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I hunt with a bow because I love bow hunting. Shoot whatever you want. All that really matters is if you enjoy doing it.
Posted By: shadams

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:04 PM

I bought a crossbow because I have no interest or time to learn another skill/hobby. I just want to kill some deer/pigs etc. and have options and more time. I dont consider myself a "bowhunter" anymore than I consider myself a "rifle hunter". I just like to hunt.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Slicktricked
I shot a good sized doe with my bow yesterday, it was my first white tail with a bow. To me it is a huge trophy. I think the assessment of a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. I hunt with a bow because I love bow hunting. Shoot whatever you want. All that really matters is if you enjoy doing it.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I don't hunt because its hard, I don't hunt to feel accomplished I don't hunt for some kind of gratification or to compete with others on how big a buck I shot, I hunt because I was raised doing it with my father and grandfather and it was fun. I hunt with a bow, muzzle loader, shotgun slugs, rifle, and pistol because its fun. Is there a difference between a long bow and a scoped hi powered rifle? You bet but I still just have fun hunting.

Feeling the "buck fever" is why I bow hunt. I've hunted all my life and I've never had that feeling while rifle hunting. confused2
Posted By: Jimbo

I've sat in the woods with a video camera and at times with just binos just to watch what walks up. I'll hunt hogs, coyotes or whatever and I've taken plenty of deer with a compound bow and before that with a recurve in my younger days.
A crossbow, which is what I use now is just a tool, and it still takes getting within 20 to 30 yards of a deer. It's true that you don't need to draw on the deer but what about the guys sitting in a pop up blind with shoot through mesh windows?
Yep, there are those who think they are real archers but until you kill deer consistently with a longbow without sights, you really don't have much of an arguement when it comes to being a real archer.
Posted By: GLC

Just a personal thought, not going to look down on anyone that uses a cross bow. Truth be told a lot of "bow hunters" I know should be hunting with a cross bow vs a compound bow. They don't spend enough time practicing to be consistent enough to make a clean or ethical kill which we are supposed to do whether we rifle or bow hunt. I transitioned from rifle to black powder to bow. I enjoy bow hunting the best, just my personal preference. If / when I get in bad shape and cannot either draw a bow back or make clean consistent hits I will give it up but I won't go to a cross bow, I will just go back to a rifle. Just my personal preference.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Just a personal thought, not going to look down on anyone that uses a cross bow. Truth be told a lot of "bow hunters" I know should be hunting with a cross bow vs a compound bow. They don't spend enough time practicing to be consistent enough to make a clean or ethical kill which we are supposed to do whether we rifle or bow hunt. I transitioned from rifle to black powder to bow. I enjoy bow hunting the best, just my personal preference. If / when I get in bad shape and cannot either draw a bow back or make clean consistent hits I will give it up but I won't go to a cross bow, I will just go back to a rifle. Just my personal preference.

Just playing the devils advocate, but you wouldn't use a crossbow during archery season only if you were unable to draw a compound? That said, age waits for no man, and there will come a time you just have to do what you have to do.
Posted By: GLC

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: GLC

Just playing the devils advocate, but you wouldn't use a crossbow during archery season only if you were unable to draw a compound? That said, age waits for no man, and there will come a time you just have to do what you have to do.

Agreed Jim, I will hit that time maybe sooner than later, ha ha. I have just personally chosen, at this time, not to go cross bow.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:33 PM

I hunt with either one, depending on the situation. I've found a crossbow is not really a huge advantage. It certainly isn't "cheating". You still need to get close. You still need to practice.
One thing about a crossbow, they tend to be loud. That makes longer shots more risky because of the deer jumping the string.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 09:58 PM

2cents its like the side lock vs in- line both load from mussle, differance is caps & powder... In-line can reach out & touch twice as far... Still enjoy my sidelock, got nothing against in-line, both still one shot... Ethicaly in-line get tighter groups...
Cross bows, has it advantages... Take you & me.. You hunts gators & i hunt gechoes rofl Have had deer 20yrds behind tree, draw back, only for deer ta wait me out... Had ta ease off string... Crossbow for little people like me, can rest crossbow on limb or such ta steady aim, & same for big guy like you... Steady aim for closer group shots... Good thread... Still waiten for ya ta visit OSBWMA... Thar be a gator or two, just cant hunt-em... Stay safe at uncle Sam's.. Hear its a jungle out thar... rofl In the bottoms on cool clear evenings ya can still hear screams & tree knocks.. Some say its a squash, hunten with a panther... Few realize its just me wondering about the woods ... flag
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 10:39 PM

I agree with all y'all grin
Posted By: JCB

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 10:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards

My Barnett is crazy accurate, but so loud that I won't take a shot over 25 yds.

JR

This is the part that most "bow hunters" don't understand about crossbows. Crossbows are LOUD and if you are shooting farther than 30 yards with them you run a very high risk of wounding the animal because he will string jump the heck out of your crossbow and I don't care how fast your crossbow is!

My dad shot a nice buck with his crossbow at 32 yards 2 years ago. The buck was slightly quartering towards him but by the time the arrow got there the deer had spun around pretty severly and the arrow entered way far back in the ribs but luckly caught the vitals as it exited closer to where the entrance should have been.

Yes crossbows are very accurate at extreme ranges but you would be a fool to try and take an animal at those kind of ranges just because you can accurately shoot a target at those ranges.

Vertical bow hunters have an advantage of being able to shoot longer ranges because their bows are quieter. Cross bow hunters have an advantage because they don't have to draw once the animal is in range. Vertical bow hunters can reload faster. Crossbows don't need to because we know where to put the shot to begin with. grin bolt

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Just go hunt.

Ohhh......and crossbows date back to the 5th century so don't tell me they are not "primitive". Yes they have come along way since then but compounds have come along way since the Indians so there take that! clap
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/06/15 11:17 PM

If it's cheating then call me a cheater. After two shoulder surgeries I had to get one or not hunt. The first year after surgery I had to have one of my hunting buddies pull it back for me in our parking area so 1 shot is all I had. Killed a coyote and lots of time that year. After 1-1/2 year of rehab and lots of practice I can do my own thing now. Still hunt out of the same bow stands so I am not shooting at any longer ranges than before.
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

"cheating" implies there is some sort of competition going on...who are you competing with while hunting?

The deer

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:39 AM

I ain't going to lie, last year I used a crossbow for the first time. Them deer did not stand a chance with that bolt flying at 350fps. A man gots to eat!! lol
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:53 AM

I haven't picked up a rifle in years. Bow only for me. I have no problem at all with other hunters using crossbows. I love the challenge of bow hunting and some day may need a crossbow myself. Now if a perfectly healthy young man is hunting with a crossbow and is capable of using a vertical bow, he's going to get razzed a little. May get asked to wear a dress while skinning his deer. But they are welcome at our ranch and I feel that they are actually at a disadvantage to vertical bows myself.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:21 AM

I have hunted and killed deer with a rifle, muzzleloader, bow and crossbow. All three are different and require some amount of practice. With a bow you have greater range, less noise,lighter weight, faster movement in tighter space and faster follow-up shots. With a crossbow you have better accuracy but still requires some repetitive practice(REPETITIVE), you don't have to draw it, it is very loud, it can be more dangerous to you if you are not careful with your hands or fingers, it is heavier by a long shot, much bulkier to get into place for a shot, it requires more space for shooting, and limits your shot distance greatly. I can always tell the difference when someone comments about a crossbow hunter, they have never hunted with one. They may have shot one on a range but that is a whole different ball game vs hunting with one. I have built bow blinds and set up tripods to bow hunt from since the 80's. Last year I set up my first tripod to crossbow hunt from and it would not work since I had the bow hunting setup mentality. I had to create more width for the crossbow to allow for a wider range of shots. You still have to use the same skills to find the correct blind location, hunt the wind, still have to move to get into position to make the shot, and do it with multiple sets of eyes on you no matter which method of hunting you choose. I never look down on another hunter who choose the weapon of his choice to hunt with. I will never do that to another hunter for hunting how he chooses.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:45 AM

I hunt with a compound bow sometimes. It's fun. It requires practice to get good, with a strong focus on form and body mechanics. It's light and maneuverable.

Earlier this year I found a good deal on a cross bow, and I plan to hunt with it some this season too. So far it's fun. It requires practice to get good, with a focus on stability and trigger control. It's heavier but accurate and fast, and can be shot off a solid rest.

Later in the year I will hunt with a rifle with a magnified scope. It's fun. It requires practice to get good.....I digress.

There are many ways to be an ethical and effective hunter and enjoy the great outdoors. Here's to using what you enjoy cheers
Posted By: fishingoncredit

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:57 AM

This is my second year hunting last year with a rifle and I was hooked! So wanting to get a jump on deer season this year so I bought a crossbow. I hunt public land and I'm determined to stalk and get my first deer. The first and second day of bow season this year I was able to get with in 30 yards of 3 deer. The first 2 were a large doe with a fawn behind her. Then the second day I got within 20 yards of a way undersized 6pt buck I got to watch then scared the poop outta it!! and my reasons why I went crossbow
A. Because it was cheaper then a nice compound bow setup
B. I would rather kill the deer with one good clean shot
C. My left shoulder likes to pop out of place.
D. I want to freaking HUNT!!
So crossbow it was! I still haven't taken a deer this year or last but I love to hunt so if you're doing it legal get out there and hunt!!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 03:08 AM

Feeling the "buck fever" is why I bow hunt. I've hunted all my life and I've never had that feeling while rifle hunting. confused2

You might be doing it wrong. grin Last fall I sat in a blind with my 10 year old. He was the one with the rifle not me, and when the deer started coming out my heart was thumping the same as if I was looking through the scope. If I ever lose that feeling, I will hang it up. So far so good. up
Posted By: Espy

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 03:31 AM

If you don't hunt with one of these you are cheating

Bottom line is if it gets a person in the woods I'm all for it as long as it's legal.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 04:33 AM

I hunt primarily with a compound bow. However this weekend I am taking crossbow because I do not feel comfortable at a couple angles I have to shoot from this blond. It boils down to what is the best weapon for success, and to recover animal.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 07:21 AM

Hunt with what you like and what you want to shoot and not worry about what others think
Posted By: kry226

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 08:51 AM

I hunt with whatever the heck kind of legal weapon I take a notion to hunt with, and couldn't care less what the "better" hunter thinks of it. Having killed deer with every type of weapon I own (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow, crossBOW) except a pistol, I have never noticed a bit of difference in the rush of taking a deer based on the weapon I was using.

Run what you brung and mind your own business. Ain't America great? flag up
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 11:52 AM

Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the years has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

Thanks guys for the info.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 12:46 PM

Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

I personally think the "loud" talk about the crossbow is bs

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Do crossbows shoot faster than compounds? Many do

Are compounds loud? Mine certainly is

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 12:50 PM

Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

Are crossbows loud? Yes

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Come shoot mine then. You will change your opinion quickly. My crossbow is much louder than my compound. Whitetail move faster because of the crossbow noise because they hear much quicker. Have you ever hunted with a crossbow?
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 12:54 PM

I don't use a cross bow or a compound. Go Fred Bear if ya want a challenge plus its a lot more fun and satisfying for me.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
I hunt with whatever the heck kind of legal weapon I take a notion to hunt with, and couldn't care less what the "better" hunter thinks of it. Having killed deer with every type of weapon I own (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow, crossBOW) except a pistol, I have never noticed a bit of difference in the rush of taking a deer based on the weapon I was using.

And there it is. up

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:24 PM

The deer

whats your weapon of choice there Bill? a nice little 325fps compound? I'm pretty sure the deer is gonna think you are cheating no matter what weapon you are using buddy, unless its your bare hands.

its the same reason "LF guys" hate "HF guys," ego. you don't want someone getting props for a big deer if they killed "easier" than you did.

gold jacket, green jacket....

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:32 PM

The deer

what is your bow of choice there Bill? a nice little 330fps compound? unless you are using your hands (or maybe throwing rocks) I'm pretty sure the deer is not gonna think its a very fair fight buddy.

its the same reason "LF guys" hate "HF guys," ego. you don't like someone getting props for killing a big deer if they did it "easier" than you did.

gold jacket, green jacket...

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw
Originally Posted By: kry226

And there it is. up

dang right, run what you brung up

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Come shoot mine then. You will change your opinion quickly. My crossbow is much louder than my compound. Whitetail move faster because of the crossbow noise because they hear much quicker. Have you ever hunted with a crossbow?

I've never deer hunted with a crossbow, but have been in a pop up with someone who has. Killed plenty of coons with a crossbow.

So the more noise a particular bow makes the faster the deer reacts?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:45 PM

Are crossbows loud? Yes

I've never deer hunted with a crossbow, but have been in a pop up with someone who has. Killed plenty of coons with a crossbow.

So the more noise a particular bow makes the faster the deer reacts?

Borrow that crossbow and take a shot at deer at 30 or 40 yards. Then post your opinion on hunting with one.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 01:59 PM

Should I use a standard red dot type scope or a laser? Shooting with no rest should be okay @ 30-40 yards huh?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:02 PM

Use what ever sight you want and shot it with a rest or without. Kill a deer with a crossbow then you can post a truthful comment on hunting with one. We all know how quick a coon reacts to a shot compared to a whitetail. rolleyes
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:18 PM

Well, Bigfoot, maybe amongst all the comments, you've been able to think about it enough to make a decision. There's as many pros and cons as there are people, because everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I enjoy hunting with a crossbow just as much as a compound. Crossbow enables me to set up low in a small pop-up blind which is nice in bad weather and in thick cover. Compound is much easier to use in a tripod(try cocking one while perched and you'll understand) and I prefer the openness and tripod height vantage point.

I fully support every hunting tool/method available. It's all about the recreation.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:28 PM

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Most crossbows are so much louder than compounds that the deer reaction is much more intense (both faster and more movement). Kind of like when someone startles a person - the louder the noise that startles them the more they react.

JR
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Both kill

One weighes a ton the other not as much. One isn't always fun to try to load quickly and shoot and unload.

Both take practice to be competent.

Pick one or both and have fun!!! Why we hunt anyway

up Well Said
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 05:46 PM

I read this series with interest. I read nd participated in this same argument in the early 80's when Xbows were shooting in the 275 fps range and a blazing fast vertical bow was shooting 240fps with an overdraw and shooting knitting needles for arrows, most used those setups for 3D shooting (at homemade cardboard targets I might add). When hunting most went back to full length arrows and we were getting maybe 220 fps. There is a huge difference between between the trajectory of an arrow at 220 and 275. At the time I was stationed in ID and all hunting was on State or Fed property so no feeders, no established stands with known yardages and no Xbows during archery season. The flatter shooting Xbow was a big advantage when the speeds were as dissimilar as they were back then. The difference is no longer so pronounced. It also took a lot more work to shoot well out to longer yardages since arrow drop was much more pronounced. I'm sure my view is colored by my own experience so no I don't think Xbows belong in archery season, with the exception of those physically unable to draw a bow. However, as long as what you are doing is legal, enjoy it and don't worry about what I or anyone else thinks.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 08:14 PM

Use what ever sight you want and shot it with a rest or without. Kill a deer with a crossbow then you can post a truthful comment on hunting with one. We all know how quick a coon reacts to a shot compared to a whitetail. rolleyes

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
I read this series with interest. I read nd participated in this same argument in the early 80's when Xbows were shooting in the 275 fps range and a blazing fast vertical bow was shooting 240fps with an overdraw and shooting knitting needles for arrows, most used those setups for 3D shooting (at homemade cardboard targets I might add). When hunting most went back to full length arrows and we were getting maybe 220 fps. There is a huge difference between between the trajectory of an arrow at 220 and 275. At the time I was stationed in ID and all hunting was on State or Fed property so no feeders, no established stands with known yardages and no Xbows during archery season. The flatter shooting Xbow was a big advantage when the speeds were as dissimilar as they were back then. The difference is no longer so pronounced. It also took a lot more work to shoot well out to longer yardages since arrow drop was much more pronounced. I'm sure my view is colored by my own experience so no I don't think Xbows belong in archery season, with the exception of those physically unable to draw a bow. However, as long as what you are doing is legal, enjoy it and don't worry about what I or anyone else thinks.

Pretty much my experience, but I have a crossbow and presently hunt with it, and every deer I've killed using a compound or crossbow the result was the same.
I use the exact setup and shoot the same distance with the crossbow as I did with the compound and none of the deer cared which one I used.
All the other stuff, noise etc. doesn't matter as long as you are a good enough hunter to get the same positive results, then someone elses preference shouldn't make a bit of difference to anyone.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 08:46 PM

Bow, Crossbow, Rifle, Spear= HUNTING. I wish people would quit the "I hunt this way and I don't condone that way of hunting" attitude. Hunting is hunting and we all need to have a unified "hunting voice" instead of trying to split hairs on which way is better. I hunt all kind of ways and think each has the pro's and con's. Who cares how you hunt, as long as you hunt abiding by the rules and regulations. Now go hunt, kill something, post a picture on here and then eat it! Good luck!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 09:03 PM

So you use a recurve and cut your own arrows?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 09:52 PM

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Spoken like someone that has never hunted with a crossbow and I see you admitted that in another post.

I hunted for years with a vertical bow. The very first deer I ever shot at with a vertical bow was when I was 14 years old and it was a old Doe at a whopping 8 yards. I missed her clean! Shot low right between her legs. You know what she did??? She walked off about 10 yards and then came right back to the same spot I just flung an arrow at her. The second shot found its mark. No way that would have happend had it been a crossbow I was using. The noise one makes would have sent her to the next county! I can make that statement because I have hunted with both.

Have seen the same thing happen on tons of hunting shows as well. Never seen it happen with a crossbow though. Heck I have even seen first hand where deer will run farther and faster from a crossbow than the sound of a rifle!! My theory on that is they are far more use to the sound of a rifle than a crossbow. But make no mistake about it........a deer cant string jump a bullet!

Call BS all you want about the noise they make and the way deer react to it. You have already admitted you have never hunted with one so your opinion doesn't hold much water.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 11:27 PM

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple*.

* "I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow"
Just wanted to make sure everyone will see this since you have never hunted whitetail with a crossbow but can tell everyone how much easier or harder it is.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 11:39 PM

If you can't practice regularly with a bow, you would be better off using a crossbow.

You still need to practice with the crossbow as well, but not as much practice is required to be a consistent shooter with the crossbow, mainly because of the muscles you need to build up to be a competent bow shooter.

As far as the pissing contest some want to make this into, ignore them. They are just people that feel the need to prove they are better than others because they're not happy with themselves.

Whatever means of legal hunting you like to do, you should do it and feel great about it. I haven't had the chance to try one hunting yet but I plan on using one in the future. Variety makes life more interesting for me. up
Posted By: allterrain

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/07/15 11:45 PM

Any hunting is better than no hunting. All hunting is good, there is no better or worse weapon of choice, it is what you want to achieve, how much challenge you want, enjoy the time in the woods.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/08/15 12:25 PM

I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow and surely don't need to hunt with one to try to prove how hard/easy it is. Hunting with a compound bow is harder hunting plain and simple*.

* "I never said I hunted whitetail with a crossbow"
Just wanted to make sure everyone will see this since you have never hunted whitetail with a crossbow but can tell everyone how much easier or harder it is.

Common sense tells me lifting a crossbow, looking through a scope, and pulling the trigger is completely different than operating a bow that must be drawn, anchored correctly, and leveled before a shot.

We'll just have to agree to disagree I suppose. It's not the same by any stretch, but hey if it's legal I'm good with any of it. Happy hunting
Posted By: BDB

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/08/15 03:54 PM

Traditional verses compound verses crossbow = a whole lot of nothing to do about nothing. Its all BS. A fallacy. I gave up my old Golden eagle compound in 93 for a chainsaw and drawknife to make my selfbows. I gave up the selfbow 5 years ago for a traditional longbow. I put my longbow up this summer for an elite synergy compound. I bought into my fellow primitive/traditional cries about how the compound and crossbow were the ruination of archery seasons. Then I wised up.I find it VERY entertaining that a modern compound shooter can stab crossbow shooters in the back. The old "you have to draw a compound" verses just aim a crossbow makes me shits and giggles. I can dam near "hold" my bow at full draw for a minute if I had to. Traditional guys still scream about that one.

Nothing has been ruined. I have no desire to hunt with a crossbow but have no problems with those that do. For the last 10 years I hunted with selfbows and longbows I had no problem with compound shooters. Hunting is a personal matter. What some guy is hunting with and over what in timbucktoo Tx is of no concern for the dude in walla walla ville USA. And vice versa.
Posted By: cheetah577

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/11/15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
The main difference between the two is that you have to draw a bow once the deer is in range or close to being in range. This requires significant motion, whereas you only have to raise a crossbow to a shooting position and that can be done sooner and with less motion and held for much longer. Deer see motion well and particularly well at bow ranges. Also, shooting a bow does require a lot of practice to be proficient, where much less is required with a crossbow. Both are limited to about the same range.

I don't really view a crossbow as cheating because A)It's legal and B)I've seen enough guys either in a 25-30ft tree stand or in a pop-up/blind with a screen that both hide you while you draw, thus negating the draw argument. Plus, as pointed out above, it's another way to get people hunting. I like the extra season for that as well; more hunters = up

+1
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/12/15 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: JCB
you would be a fool to try and take an animal at those kind of ranges just because you can accurately shoot a target at those ranges.

Like Craig Morgan, when he shot a deer (or was it an antelope?) at around 100 yards? shocked I don't really care anymore that Xbows are allowed in the archery season anymore. But at the time the Xbow manufacturers were lobbying for it, I don't know why they didn't ask for a season after the general season was over. This would have extended the season. Is there anyone who wouldn't think this was a better alternative? I saw it as a lost opportunity.

Now, what should YOU do? Consider the points made here (mostly the practice issue), decide on one and buy it. Shooting them both first would probably be a wise decision. Good luck and happy hunting. up

Pablo
Posted By: LAG - CW

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/12/15 11:32 AM

I was stationed in Maryland for 4 years. The archery season was 6 months long. I could kill 6 bucks and 30 does on base, and also kill another 6 bucks and 30 does in the county.
Needless to say, I have killed a bunch of animals with a recurve and compound. Shot compeition when not on stand.

With that said, the accuracy of a crossbow will provide a more accurate clean kill in the hands of a novice. I'm glad they are legal. Until you have seen guys bring in bucks that have 5-6 arrows hanging out of them from not praticing with a traditional bow, its hard to imagine. If you do not have time to pratice, buy a crossbow.

I'm all about a clean kill.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/12/15 12:45 PM

Safety's another thing to consider:

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Recall Summary
Name of product:

Excalibur Matrix Mega 405 Crossbows
Hazard:

The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders.

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Excalibur Crossbow at (800) 463-1817 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.excaliburcrossbow.com and click on “Important Safety Notice for Matrix 405 Owners” for more information.

https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Excalibur-Recalls-Crossbows/

Scary! eek2

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/12/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: DonPablo

Recall Summary
Name of product:

Hazard:

The crossbow can fire an arrow without the trigger being pulled, posing an injury hazard to the user and to bystanders.

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Excalibur Crossbow at (800) 463-1817 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or online at www.excaliburcrossbow.com and click on “Important Safety Notice for Matrix 405 Owners” for more information.

Scary! eek2

Yeah, and I bet nobody ever dropped the string or hit a release in the middle of drawing a compound. rolleyes
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/12/15 05:23 PM

I've bow hunted (compound) for nearly 30 years. I shot a small 8 point buck out of a tree stand the first morning I ever bow hunted and was hooked. I began bow hunting as a way to extend my hunting season. I had a streak of about 10 years where I was fortunate enough to kill a deer with my bow every bow season. However, I always put down my bow and picked up my rifle come general season if I was still hunting for a trophy buck.

I just purchased a crossbow for two reasons: 1) I have had much less time the past few years to put in the practice and prepare for bow season as I have had in the past. 2) My daughter, after taking outdoor ed in school and is an accomplished rifle hunter, is interested in hunting with a crossbow.

This weekend, I set up the crossbow and got it sighted in. A few things I quickly realized compared to a compound bow. 1) Sighting in was quick and easy. The sight is just like you have on a rifle and I was able to dial it in and hit the bullseye at 20 yards after just a few shots. 2) It is very accurate and does not require the amount of practice that shooting a compound does. 3) it seems much faster and shoots much flatter than my 300fps PSE. 4) It is much louder, as mentioned, than my compound 5) I don't see anyway possible to [censored] the crossbow from a tree stand or tripod safely. I would limit to hunting from the ground or in an elevated box stand. 6) As also mentioned, reloading and not being noticed seems impossible unless you are in an enclosed blind.

I will continue to hunt with a compound bow as well as a rifle. With that said, I am really looking forward to trying out the new compound as early as this weekend. I now know that when my time is more limited, I have a physical impairment, or I want my daughter to be able to hunt during archery season, I now have an ethical and legal alternative. I have not officially hunted with it yet, but to me the crossbow will still have all the elements of bow hunting with a compound (i.e. getting close, scent control, playing the wind, patterning deer movement, etc.), but does not require as much time practicing to become proficient. It is still hunting and much more challenging than hunting with a rifle. My two cents.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/13/15 02:45 AM

Yeah, and I bet nobody ever dropped the string or hit a release in the middle of drawing a compound. rolleyes

True, but when you're drawing a bow, you're about to shoot. It's extremely difficult to draw the bow and point it at yourself. On the other hand it's common to [censored] the crossbow well ahead of time rather than to wait until you're about to take a shot. Combine this with a defect like the one in the link and there's a SERIOUS chance someone could hurt themselves or someone else. People rarely draw their bow when someone is in front of them. So YES safety is a bigger issue with a crossbow. I'm not trying to be anti-crossbow. I'm trying to be helpful and cover ALL of the bases.

Pablo
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/13/15 02:56 AM

Recall Summary
Name of product:

Hazard:

Remedy:
View Details

Repair
Consumer Contact:

Scary! eek2

I owned a Remington like that. peep

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/13/15 10:39 AM

By the way, my compound is faster than my crossbow. And as those who hunt with a crossbow already know, toting a CB through the woods sucks. If a hunter really doesn't have the heart for hunting with a crossbow, after a couple of trips, they'll hang that sucker up for good.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/13/15 01:43 PM

True, but when you're drawing a bow, you're about to shoot. It's extremely difficult to draw the bow and point it at yourself. On the other hand it's common to [censored] the crossbow well ahead of time rather than to wait until you're about to take a shot. Combine this with a defect like the one in the link and there's a SERIOUS chance someone could hurt themselves or someone else. People rarely draw their bow when someone is in front of them. So YES safety is a bigger issue with a crossbow. I'm not trying to be anti-crossbow. I'm trying to be helpful and cover ALL of the bases.

Pablo

But you didn't mention any of that in your post, you just posted a recall notice of one model from one mfg. It would be like saying cars aren't safe because Ferrari had a recall. You should have included what you wrote in this post in the original.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/13/15 01:55 PM

Pablo

But you didn't mention any of that in your post, you just posted a recall notice of one model from one mfg. It would be like saying cars aren't safe because Ferrari had a recall. You should have included what you wrote in this post in the original.

haha

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/14/15 02:26 AM

You know what? I apologize. You're absolutely right. I should have. I saw the other post and thought, "Oh yeah, I left out safety concerns." I quoted the post and, like a dummy, assumed the safety differences were a given. My bad.

Pablo

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/14/15 11:05 PM

So you use a recurve? You know, kind cheating without one

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/14/15 11:23 PM

You know what? I apologize. You're absolutely right. I should have. I saw the other post and thought, "Oh yeah, I left out safety concerns." I quoted the post and, like a dummy, assumed the safety differences were a given. My bad.

Pablo

You are quite correct, you must treat a crossbow the same as a rifle, and once it is loaded its is LOADED. You also have to remember not to get your fingers in the way of the string when shooting, as posted here the other day. I am careful with mine but I think I'm more nervous with it than I am with a rifle.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/14/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
So you use a recurve? You know, kind cheating without one

up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/15/15 12:13 AM

I don't have anything against crossbows. But I don't have a very high opinion of the law that allowed crossbows during archery season. They are easier to use because much less practice is required and it is easier to kill an animal with one because doing away with the need to draw is a big advantage.

The law regarding crossbow use during archery season did and does not increase new hunter recruitment. It is simply a means for folks who are normally rifle hunters to get an early start without having to take the practice time it takes to become proficient with a bow. New deer hunters almost always begin with a rifle.

I am somewhat of a traditionalist, so my opinions (as usual) kind of go along with that.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/15/15 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
I don't have anything against crossbows. But I don't have a very high opinion of the law that allowed crossbows during archery season. They are easier to use because much less practice is required and it is easier to kill an animal with one because doing away with the need to draw is a big advantage.

The law regarding crossbow use during archery season did and does not increase new hunter recruitment. It is simply a means for folks who are normally rifle hunters to get an early start without having to take the practice time it takes to become proficient with a bow. New deer hunters almost always begin with a rifle.

I am somewhat of a traditionalist, so my opinions (as usual) kind of go along with that.

I don't see it being much different. You are still limited to the same range. Yes, it is already drawn, but you can sit in a pop up with a screen or a really tall stand and not be seen drawing a compound. You still have to practice and I bet crossbows result in cleaner kills per shots fired.

In any event it gets hunters in the woods which is a good thing.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 05:43 AM

Bows seem like cheating to me. I personally like the challenge of chasing down deer and catching the deer with my teeth but only when they're running. No challenge when they're standing still head down in a pile of corn. May as well cheat and use a bow if you're gonna kill one standing still.

Call me an elitist if you will, but when I hunt, it's incisors or nothing. If you're using your molars to increase the chance of a successful hunt you may as well use a bow.
Posted By: waderaider1

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 11:43 AM

Let me just say your crossbow does not have to be loud. on 10-4 I set up in a folding chair next to a cedar tree and my back against the neighbors barbed wire fence. Yes I made a set on the fence line. I cut some tall weeds and wove them thru the fence to give me something behind me. yes I made the fence line part of my blind. I made 2 mistakes . I did not have my ranges correct and I had my bow sighted in at 30, 40 and 50 yds. I shoot a wicked ridge warrior with the 10-point bowjax installed. Had 4 bucks come in what would be 20 yds from me and I let bolt fly on a big 10pt. Arrow flew right over his back. the 3 other bucks startled but he just came to attention and checked the air. they never looked in my direction and I was exposed from the chest up. they settled down and went to feeder which I had stepped of at 50 yds. Pull crossbow of stick. placed but under my chin and hand drew. I placed another bolt and let fly. went right under his chest. deer startled from arrow hitting gound and brush. the big 10 and big 8 ran toward me and turned at 20 yds out and walked back to the creek and woods to my left. they settled down again and as I was drawing the bow again they came back. let the third bolt fly and right over his back. the arrow crashed thru the trees and the startled and walked back into the woods to not come back again. none of these bucks looked my direction because of the nose from the crossbow. now yall can bash me all you want but I was using evercalm as my cover and was wearing a full HECS suit. some of yall say they do not work. the following sunday I sat and did not see anything but waling up the county rd back to my camper 2 teenage boys were riding their horses. as we approached each other the horses started freaking out and rearing up. they both said they had never acted like that before.
but back to subject. your crossbow does not have to be loud.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 12:36 PM

what ever is legal use it. I go through stages where I want to be very traditional as well as years where I shoot a modern bow. I have even shot a crossbow in regular hunting season. To each his own.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: waderaider1
Let me just say your crossbow does not have to be loud. on 10-4 I set up in a folding chair next to a cedar tree and my back against the neighbors barbed wire fence. Yes I made a set on the fence line. I cut some tall weeds and wove them thru the fence to give me something behind me. yes I made the fence line part of my blind. I made 2 mistakes . I did not have my ranges correct and I had my bow sighted in at 30, 40 and 50 yds. I shoot a wicked ridge warrior with the 10-point bowjax installed. Had 4 bucks come in what would be 20 yds from me and I let bolt fly on a big 10pt. Arrow flew right over his back. the 3 other bucks startled but he just came to attention and checked the air. they never looked in my direction and I was exposed from the chest up. they settled down and went to feeder which I had stepped of at 50 yds. Pull crossbow of stick. placed but under my chin and hand drew. I placed another bolt and let fly. went right under his chest. deer startled from arrow hitting gound and brush. the big 10 and big 8 ran toward me and turned at 20 yds out and walked back to the creek and woods to my left. they settled down again and as I was drawing the bow again they came back. let the third bolt fly and right over his back. the arrow crashed thru the trees and the startled and walked back into the woods to not come back again. none of these bucks looked my direction because of the nose from the crossbow. now yall can bash me all you want but I was using evercalm as my cover and was wearing a full HECS suit. some of yall say they do not work. the following sunday I sat and did not see anything but waling up the county rd back to my camper 2 teenage boys were riding their horses. as we approached each other the horses started freaking out and rearing up. they both said they had never acted like that before.

great story, might want to re-check them sight pins...

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 02:52 PM

JSHOUSE I picked up a range finder and reset the bow to 20, 30 and 40 yd. just hope I see him again as the group has probably broken up and they are starting to roam.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 06:19 PM

Which made the crossbow quieter? The evercalm, or the suit?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 07:21 PM

If you can comprehend what you read i have the
10 pt bowjax installed to quiet my xbow. I expected
Some wise cracks about the suit, the evercalm and
The fence line. So predictable.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 07:46 PM

Well as I aged found that drawing and holding a compound bow at full draw was a bit much. Went to Cabelas and bought a Cross Bow with a crank to [censored] the sucker. Seems to weigh a ton but use a bipod to set up for shot. Bless you young studs that can hunt with a Compound bow. But the Deer Season is coming that U will join the old timers with cross bows. That is if you want to do the Archery bit. We just need to be thankful that there is an option for all to extend our enjoyment of getting out doors and having a good time. Just take that macho stuff and shove it.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 08:11 PM

Agreed

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 08:15 PM

keep doin you

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/16/15 08:21 PM

Unless somebody is a crossbow hunter, they probably dont know what a 10 pt bow jax is. Had you explained what it was, I wouldn't have been such a smart [censored].

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/22/15 02:29 PM

Kind of predictable like someone setting a bling on a fence, knowing a comment would be made about it, yet posting away? Why even mention the suit or fence blind.......... unless you were wanting someone to comment on it?
AS for comprehending, how many on here that don't use a bowjax know what one is?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/22/15 03:29 PM

cheers Texmel For me its a messed up shoulder that stoped me from hunting the OSB couple years ago... Don't do no good ta complain... flag

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/22/15 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Kind of predictable like someone setting a bling on a fence, knowing a comment would be made about it, yet posting away? Why even mention the suit or fence blind.......... unless you were wanting someone to comment on it?
AS for comprehending, how many on here that don't use a bowjax know what one is?

Yep. A simple, I have a bowjax installed on my xbow. Really makes it quieter, would have sufficed.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/24/15 01:47 AM

Unless you make your own bow AND arrows AND broadheads AND string AND hunt without the help of ANY modern day equipment like blinds, ladder stands made from steel/aluminum, using machinery to help you make said archery equipment...shut the hell up about what someone else uses to LEGALLY hunt up

Sorry...I just get tired of folks insinuating that crossbow hunters are somehow inferior to anyone else. I highly doubt that there are many folks who use true primitive archery equipment these days

And for the record, I've shot 1 crossbow, 7-8 years ago, and only shot it one time. So I'm not a Xbow hunter standing up for my way of hunting. I use a compound bow, not even trad gear. Just get irritated at the bs

That is all...carry on grin

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/24/15 10:52 PM

This, I find it humorous that some who complain about cross bows being legal...... use compound bows
Originally Posted By: TxDispatcher
Unless you make your own bow AND arrows AND broadheads AND string AND hunt without the help of ANY modern day equipment like blinds, ladder stands made from steel/aluminum, using machinery to help you make said archery equipment...shut the hell up about what someone else uses to LEGALLY hunt up

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/24/15 11:18 PM

I bow hunt... with a bow, not an x bow and I do hunt during bow season, but its all my choice, bow hunters just want to say x-bows are cheateing etc. to keep others out of the woods longer and keep them from shooting "their deer". Why on earth does using a bow entitle you to more season? I hunted a property for years that didn't allow people to hunt during bow season because most didn't bow hunt... they didn't allow youth season hunting either because most were not youth, I didn't have a problem with either. You want to challenge yourself by bowhunting well that's great do it, but if your going to make it easier then its not about challenging yourself now is it. Don't matter what your hunting with as long as your out there hunting. up

I don't understand this mentality.

People get upset that bowhunters get an early season - in a state with a 2 1/2 month rifle season! The reason bowhunters have the season is the commitment they made to accept more of a challenge, they lobbied the state legislature, and because the impact on the deer herd is manageable (precisely because it is more challenging and thus has fewer participants) the legislature allowed the special early season.

Now everyone else wants the extra month - without all the extra challenge.
First Xbows, next it will be muzzleloader hunters, and finally rifle hunters. And when everyone can hunt in October (which will eventually happen), who will they have to thank?

Bowhunters - who lobbied for and got the early season established in the first place - to have a quiet time to ply their skills in quiet woods not crawling with other hunters. THAT'S WHY BOWHUNTERS "DESERVE" THE BOW SEASON - THEY GOT IT ESTABLISHED IN THE FIRST PLACE. FOR BOWHUNTERS ONLY.

There are separate archery seasons and units all over the country. Have been for decades. Only in this age of "participation trophies" and everyone wanting the same opportunities without the same sacrifices has there started to be griping about it.

The cure for all the bit**ing about bowhunters and their early season is simple: buy a bow and learn to hunt with it. No one is stopping anyone from doing so. The whining is unnecessary. If someone is unwilling to do that, then wait until Nov. 7th like everyone else. Their choice - so no need to gripe about their own choices. Sounds like democrats.

Crossbows are fine. But IMO they should have to wait until Nov. like everyone else. Unless for handicapped, elderly, or youth. Like this beautiful young lady:

JMHO.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/25/15 05:05 AM

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 02:50 AM

So aren't the bow hunters whining now because the crossbow hunters get to share their season?
I think if there is going to be a "special" season for bow hunters, they should have to us a recurve bow and maybe wooden arrows cheers just me though

I don't understand this mentality.

People get upset that bowhunters get an early season - in a state with a 2 1/2 month rifle season! The reason bowhunters have the season is the commitment they made to accept more of a challenge, they lobbied the state legislature, and because the impact on the deer herd is manageable (precisely because it is more challenging and thus has fewer participants) the legislature allowed the special early season.

Now everyone else wants the extra month - without all the extra challenge.
First Xbows, next it will be muzzleloader hunters, and finally rifle hunters. And when everyone can hunt in October (which will eventually happen), who will they have to thank?

Bowhunters - who lobbied for and got the early season established in the first place - to have a quiet time to ply their skills in quiet woods not crawling with other hunters. THAT'S WHY BOWHUNTERS "DESERVE" THE BOW SEASON - THEY GOT IT ESTABLISHED IN THE FIRST PLACE. FOR BOWHUNTERS ONLY.

There are separate archery seasons and units all over the country. Have been for decades. Only in this age of "participation trophies" and everyone wanting the same opportunities without the same sacrifices has there started to be griping about it.

The cure for all the bit**ing about bowhunters and their early season is simple: buy a bow and learn to hunt with it. No one is stopping anyone from doing so. The whining is unnecessary. If someone is unwilling to do that, then wait until Nov. 7th like everyone else. Their choice - so no need to gripe about their own choices. Sounds like democrats.

Crossbows are fine. But IMO they should have to wait until Nov. like everyone else. Unless for handicapped, elderly, or youth. Like this beautiful young lady:

JMHO.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 12:21 PM

Again, as with so many issues, many don't see the need for drawing lines. ("If he can do this, why can't I do that?")

To me a logical place to draw the line for archery season was the way it always was - self drawn bow. You say "bow" and everyone knows what you are talking about. You say "crossbow" and everyone knows it is a different animal. A bow requires some amount of commitment to master and is a more challenging weapon to take an animal with for several reasons. A crossbow can be bought in the morning and hunted with in the afternoon by anyone who can shoot a rifle. It functions basically as a short range rifle.

I'm old school. I preferred bow season for those willing to master and use a bow. Call it whining if you want - I could just as easily say those who are too lazy to learn to bowhunt are the whiners who just want extra hunting time.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 12:29 PM

Why is deer season when it is?

Is it a set time when it is considered acceptable to hunt deer? Is it because when they have antlers? When they rut? tradition? etc?

I feel like we should have 1 season, that's it that's all from opening to close all legal means are ok, cross bow, long bow, compound bow, muzzleloader, primitive firearms, high powered 1000 yard competition rifles etc.

If you want to challenge yourself and do it with some of the more primitive items on the list well then man up practice and get after it no more free lunches.

JMHO. This debate is stupid hunt with a bow because you want to, not because you want to get a leg up on your neighbor. I hunt with all of the ones I listed accept a long bow and x-bow and I use all of them off and on through general season.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 12:40 PM

Do we think the ball and musket guys, then muzzleloader guys were saying similar things when rimfire then centerfire rifles were developed? It's silly guys, let's just accept technology for what it is and move forward.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 12:50 PM

This debate comes down to guys that want to be a legend in their own mind.

Look at me, I make it harder than you do, aren't you impressed?

Oh, your not? .....and you don't want to make it more difficult like me?

That's not FAIR! I should be able to hunt and you shouldn't because you might shoot the deer I'm after.

How can I be a legend in my own mind if you shoot MY deer?
Posted By: MarkE

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 01:32 PM

Again, as with so many issues, many don't see the need for drawing lines. ("If he can do this, why can't I do that?")

To me a logical place to draw the line for archery season was the way it always was - self drawn bow. You say "bow" and everyone knows what you are talking about. You say "crossbow" and everyone knows it is a different animal. A bow requires some amount of commitment to master and is a more challenging weapon to take an animal with for several reasons. A crossbow can be bought in the morning and hunted with in the afternoon by anyone who can shoot a rifle. It functions basically as a short range rifle.

I'm old school. I preferred bow season for those willing to master and use a bow. Call it whining if you want - I could just as easily say those who are too lazy to learn to bowhunt are the whiners who just want extra hunting time.

I agree. Handicap bows shouldn’t be allowed in archery season unless someone has a handicap.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

That's not FAIR! I should be able to hunt and you shouldn't because you might shoot the deer I'm after.

It's not about ego - it's about recognizing difficulty (and thus accomplishment) for the challenge that it is. You always want to talk about me. So let's talk about me: I have never killed a mountain sheep with a bow. And I never will. I am simply unwilling to do what it takes to accomplish such a feat. Some people have. Anyone that knows the challenges involved knows what an astounding feat that is. I certainly do. I am the first in line to say so. I am the first in line to marvel at such an accomplishment.

Randy Ulmer takes record class mule deer with his bow - every year. I don't have 1/10th the archery skills or mule deer hunting skills he does - and I never will. That's just the fact. There are a whole lot more skilled and accomplished hunters than me. You may very well be one of them. I don't know and I don't care. I have bowhunted for 35+ years. I have never taken a true monster buck with a bow. I have some friends who kill big east TX bucks with bows consistently. Why? They are simply better hunters than me. For me to not recognize that would be to minimize their dedication and skill. It's just calling a spade a spade. Ego has nothing to do with it. The place where I most often see ego at work is all the whining and butthurt comments by those unwilling to accept the same challenges when they see the accomplishments of those who do being recognized for what they are.

I'm not going to make up a world where just because an animal dies at the end every hunt presents the same challenges and every hunter is as skilled and accomplished as every other hunter. Because it just ain't true.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 05:18 PM

Crossbows make meat taste more better and that's a fact.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

It's not about ego - it's about recognizing difficulty (and thus accomplishment) for the challenge that it is. You always want to talk about me. So let's talk about me: I have never killed a mountain sheep with a bow. And I never will. I am simply unwilling to do what it takes to accomplish such a feat. Some people have. Anyone that knows the challenges involved knows what an astounding feat that is. I certainly do. I am the first in line to say so. I am the first in line to marvel at such an accomplishment.

Randy Ulmer takes record class mule deer with his bow - every year. I don't have 1/10th the archery skills or mule deer hunting skills he does - and I never will. That's just the fact. There are a whole lot more skilled and accomplished hunters than me. You may very well be one of them. I don't know and I don't care. I have bowhunted for 35+ years. I have never taken a true monster buck with a bow. I have some friends who kill big east TX bucks with bows consistently. Why? They are simply better hunters than me. For me to not recognize that would be to minimize their dedication and skill. It's just calling a spade a spade. Ego has nothing to do with it. The place where I most often see ego at work is all the whining and butthurt comments by those unwilling to accept the same challenges when they see the accomplishments of those who do being recognized for what they are.

I'm not going to make up a world where just because an animal dies at the end every hunt presents the same challenges and every hunter is as skilled and accomplished as every other hunter. Because it just ain't true.

Thanks for supporting my position with your reply.

I would respect your position if you would just admit that ego is exactly what it is and just own it. Instead of throwing out all these lame explanations and excuses trying to deny it.

We all have egos, some choose to own them, some do not. I admit, and I'm sure you would agree that I like a good debate and I like feeling like I won. That's my ego coming out in me and what drives my wife and daughters crazy at times. Lol. But I don't try to shy away from it or deny it. It's just part of who I am. I'm sure it has prevented me from being friends with people I've met in life because they can't stand people that are like that.

It's like you throwing out all that bs about why the legislature passed bow hunting into law. The reasons were the data supported it and it was perceived as a good business decision.

Deer numbers have continued to grow despite the longer season. More hunters in the field and sport creating millions of dollars in revenue for the state and private business. And these facts are backed by the fact they added crossbow hunting to the equation for the same reasons just mentioned.
Posted By: Texas45

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 06:31 PM

I would like to see a handgun season, maybe we can combine bow, crossbow, handgun and black powder into the same season. Oh and don't forget shotguns, shotguns need their own time in the woods too. Yep, the more I think about it, rifles need to give up some of their time, selfish bast...!
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 06:35 PM

Don't we all just love hunting?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 07:34 PM

Wonder how many vertical bow hunters that are anti-crossbow end up picking up a rifle during rifle season. I guess "challenging" yourself is only important in bow season. LOL

As long as it's a clean kill I couldn't care less what weapon was used. Seems like a clean kill takes a back seat to "the challenge" for some folks though.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE

I agree. Handicap bows shouldn’t be allowed in archery season unless someone has a handicap.

So do you feel the same about compound bows used during a special season that was set up when only traditional equipment was around? How about the use of products during archery season like rangefinders, trail cameras, scent control products....where do you draw the line? I still think they should do away with archery season and make it youth only during that first month.
I predict that within a few years we will have one season only in Texas starting in Oct and running until Feb. It will be weapon of your choice and hunt with the regs/tags for your county. All the whizzing and whining will be over then.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 07:49 PM

So do you feel the same about compound bows used during a special season that was set up when only traditional equipment was around? How about rangefinders, trail cameras, scent control products....where do you draw the line? I still think they should do away with archery season and make it youth only during that first month.
I predict that within a few years we will have one season only in Texas starting in Oct and running until Feb. It will be weapon of your choice and hunt with the regs/tags for your county. All the whizzing and whining will be over then.

up

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 08:09 PM

Wonder how many vertical bow hunters that are anti-crossbow end up picking up a rifle during rifle season. I guess "challenging" yourself is only important in bow season. LOL

As long as it's a clean kill I couldn't care less what weapon was used. Seems like a clean kill takes a back seat to "the challenge" for some folks though.

I'm a bowhunter and a rifle hunter. I am a strong advocate for the separate bow season because 1)I like the challenge and 2)the woods are quiet and not crawling with hunters.

There are separate bow seasons and archery-only units all across the country for those reasons. Used to be, everyone pretty much understood that and was fine with it. I don't apologize for wanting to keep it that way. Nobody is excluded except by their own choice to not bowhunt. Let me say that again: no one is excluded except by their own choice. The bow season is wide open for all those wishing to do what it takes to participate. And rifle season is 2 1/2 months long here in TX. Is that not long enough for those who choose not to bowhunt?

So the only reason to whine or gripe or moan or complain about it is because some just want what others have without being willing to do what others are willing to do. Period. Again, it's the age of the "participation trophy" mentality.

And the "clean kill" deal is a total red-herring. And total bs . If you don't think the # of deer wounded and not found is exponentially more during rifle season than bow season, you are living in a dream world. And studies have shown even the wounding/loss % rates are comparable or lower for bowhunters - because of the general nature of the limited ranges involved in bowhunting and the general higher commitment/skill levels of those participating.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 08:11 PM

Rifle hunting is way easy. If i hunted with a rifle Id run out of room for trophy deer heads.Nothing wrong with Crossbows.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 08:20 PM

I'm a bowhunter and a rifle hunter. I am a strong advocate for the separate bow season because 1)I like the challenge and 2)the woods are quiet and not crawling with hunters.

There are separate bow seasons and archery-only units all across the country for those reasons. Used to be, everyone pretty much understood that and was fine with it. I don't apologize for wanting to keep it that way. Nobody is excluded except by their own choice to not bowhunt. Let me say that again: no one is excluded except by their own choice. The bow season is wide open for all those wishing to do what it takes to participate. And rifle season is 2 1/2 months long here in TX. Is that not long enough for those who choose not to bowhunt?

So the only reason to whine or gripe or moan or complain about it is because some just want what others have without being willing to do what others are willing to do. Period. Again, it's the age of the "participation trophy" mentality.

And the "clean kill" deal is a total red-herring. And total bs . If you don't think the # of deer wounded and not found is exponentially more during rifle season than bow season, you are living in a dream world. And studies have shown even the wounding/loss % rates are comparable or lower for bowhunters - because of the general nature of the limited ranges involved in bowhunting and the general higher commitment/skill levels of those participating.

Bow hunters starting before everyone else kinda sounds similar to shooting deer behind a hi fence.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 08:28 PM

Well it's ok to go supersonic during rifle season.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 08:34 PM

I sure am glad those noisy rifle hog hunters and shotgun hunters take off the 6 months priour to archery season....

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 09:04 PM

I sure am glad those noisy rifle hog hunters and shotgun hunters take off the 6 months priour to archery season....

Yes, that's very respectful and mannerly of them isn't it? roflmao

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 09:17 PM

Bow hunters starting before everyone else kinda sounds similar to shooting deer behind a hi fence.

Yep. Just like that. It's all the same. up

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 09:31 PM

If I weren't sitting in my stand in the middle on nowhere (with my crossbow grin) I would love to debate this farther seeing as those I hunt with all three. Just have my phone to type on though .

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 09:35 PM

Good luck JCB

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 09:59 PM

Good luck.cheers I was heading to my stand to crossbow hunt but the wind was iffy. Funny how the ease of use a crossbow still does not trump the wind. So I put out corn and will check in the morning.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 10:01 PM

cheers Cooler weather here... Good day ta be out enjoying the woods... flag

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 10:03 PM

Good luck.cheers I was heading to my stand to crossbow hunt but the wind was iffy. Funny how the ease of use a crossbow still does not trump the wind. So I put out corn and will check in the morning.

No doubt! 3 point just got about 10' down wind and tried to blow as much snot on me as he could! If only it were as easy as the internet makes it sound!

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 10:07 PM

No doubt! 3 point just got about 10' down wind and tried to blow as much snot on me as he could! If only it were as easy as the internet makes it sound!

It is only easy when you have never hunted with one or the other.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/28/15 10:17 PM

If I weren't sitting in my stand in the middle on nowhere (with my crossbow grin) I would love to debate this farther seeing as those I hunt with all three. Just have my phone to type on though .

Good luck! Wish I was out and about. Kinda bummed I'm not so just made this THF "discussion with a passion" day. smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 02:28 AM

Handicap bows would be compound bows
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 02:23 PM

I've been a rifle hunter from day one, and picked up modern muzzle-loader a few years ago. I'm starting to consider hunting with a crossbow. Why? The stupid seasons. Texas isn't that bad, the archers only get a month head start, but really it is unnecessary. For one thing, in a state where 95% of the land is privately owned, it should be up to the LO and the lease managers to dictate who gets to hunt how and when. The real b!tch for me is KS. The bow hunters get, what, 5 freaking months, including the whole rut! And the riflemen get 10 days after the bucks are all busted up, and it is too cold to really enjoy. That's a bunch of crap. Anyway, this has been a good discussion for me. I've learned a bit from the more objective comments, and have some more to think about as I consider expanding my hunting skills.

The one question I really have is, can crossbows kill more effectively then vertical bows? Does the speed make for any better terminal ballistics? Are they able to use a more effective broadhead that results in a quicker death for the deer? For years I've been turned off, probably from watching too many hunting shows on TV, by the way it seems like it takes so long for the deer to expire. I mean you see so many times where hunters have to back out and come back the next day to find the deer. How often is that really necessary? That makes me question the ethics of it, and in TX sometimes that would mean spoiled meat.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Triplesnake
The one question I really have is, can crossbows kill more effectively then vertical bows? Does the speed make for any better terminal ballistics? Are they able to use a more effective broadhead that results in a quicker death for the deer? For years I've been turned off, probably from watching too many hunting shows on TV, by the way it seems like it takes so long for the deer to expire. I mean you see so many times where hunters have to back out and come back the next day to find the deer. How often is that really necessary? That makes me question the ethics of it, and in TX sometimes that would mean spoiled meat.

Other than being more accurate in the hands of lesser users, crossbows don't really kill more effectively. Both rely on exsanguination to kill the animal you are hunting. That frequently takes a bit of time even with a good hit. Marginal hits lead to what you are talking about above, having to back out and let the deer die after hours of slow bleeding.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 03:27 PM

Velocity it part of the momentum equation so yes velocity can increase penetration.

No animal reacts the same to a gun shot hit or arrow hit. You can shot a deer in the lungs with a 50 cal. Bullet and it will still run a hundred yards. You can shot a deer in both lungs with an arrow and deer may run 100 yards or walk 20 yards.... Each case is separated and dependent I many things.

As far as Bow vs Crossbow... Both have pluses and minuses. Both have thier part in hunting. Those that take an elistest stand against the use of either in same season, are just that elitists that compare and measure thier success against others. Free country it's their right, to form those opinions

If cross bows get more people in the feild then it's a good thing. You get 5tags on your license. If you have to quit at 5 why does it matter?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:17 PM

Lol every difference of opinion makes the other guy an "elitist". Everybody should be allowed to do anything, anywhere, anytime - and get a medal for it to boot.

Heck, I think The Man is keeping us down by having seasons and bag limits. And why the heck can't we hunt at night? What's up with that crap? This is America after all! All these rules! All these lines!

Don't some of y'all get tired of sounding like socialist democrats?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:21 PM

You can hunt at night. peep

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:24 PM

And if you think crossbows get more people in the field, you have drunk some Kool Aid. They get more in the field in October now - but they do not increase the #s as far as hunter participation. The exact same folks using them are already hunters and will be in the field in November. Almost no one starts out as a new hunter with a crossbow.

Even if they did increase it, the season dates being the same as rifle season would have zero effect. If someone loves the crossbow, starts out with it, and stays with it exclusively - they still would have 2 1/2 months to hunt every year.

The "more new hunters" saw as it relates to crossbows in bow season is a myth. It's just more rifle hunters getting an extra month to hunt. Period.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:32 PM

Lol I know. I'm from east TX. smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:40 PM

Lol I know. I'm from east TX. smile

FIFY would not the rest of the state to feel left out grin

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:42 PM

So if its ok and right for x-bow hunters to hunt only general season what makes bow hunters so special Nogy?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:46 PM

The responses to my thoughts on this are so heated, I think it bears remembering: 1)I have nothing against crossbows and 2)I simply didn't like the new law allowing them during bow season.

I am not advocating for banning crossbows. I do not hate crossbow hunters. There always was a 2 1/2 month crossbow season. If they were not allowed in bow season, that would not change.

Have mercy....
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:47 PM

Nothing will stir up hunters more than the bow/cross bow debate...except for high fence/low fence smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:48 PM

I am really going to like the debates when the state changes it to one season with your choice of weapon(s), 5 months long with same tags/restrictions.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:48 PM

So if its ok and right for x-bow hunters to hunt only general season what makes bow hunters so special Nogy?

I gave my thoughts on that in detail above.

If you want to declare victory since I don't want to re-type all that, feel free. smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 04:56 PM

I am really going to like the debates when the state changes it to one season with your choice of weapon(s), 5 months long with same tags/restrictions.

That's where it's headed. Folks are clamoring for it. Can't have any separate rules, don't you know?

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:02 PM

If you want to declare victory since I don't want to re-type all that, feel free. smile

Didn't seem conclusive there and the few days haven't changed anything. No victory, the war wages on duel

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeTX
Nothing will stir up hunters more than the bow/cross bow debate...except for high fence/low fence smile

I am the "elitist" on that deal too according to some.

Which is a little strange that they're on the side of guys who buy them a faux-Booner buck, kill it in a day or two, and get mad if you ask about the details or call it anything less than the "buck of a lifetime". (Well, at least until next year when they buy a bigger one).

smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:06 PM

Didn't seem conclusive there and the few days haven't changed anything. No victory, the war wages on duel

Lol I'm too tired today. Just gonna stir the pot and step out. smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:10 PM

Well heck grin guess I will pick up the crossbow and head to the stand this evening while archery season is still in full swing. Nothing like sticking a buck when it the easiest time to kill one. bolt
Posted By: Navasot

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:26 PM

Well heck grin guess I will pick up the crossbow and head to the stand this evening while archery season is still in full swing. Nothing like sticking a buck when it the easiest time to kill one. :bolt

Right I got one just because it's legal now.. Nothing like sitting in a stand and extending your range on those more woozy mornings..

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Well heck grin guess I will pick up the crossbow and head to the stand this evening while archery season is still in full swing. Nothing like sticking a buck when it the easiest time to kill one. bolt

Right I got one just because it's legal now.. Nothing like sitting in a stand and extending your range on those more woozy mornings..

Woozy roflmao woozy rofl I will have to remember that one cheers

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:37 PM

Woozy? Lol.

See, it's so easy you can kill one with a Xbow even when you're woozy. smile

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 05:47 PM

Woozy, is that what it is called Nav

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 06:32 PM

no no no, momma always called ^^^ a floozy roflmao

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 06:33 PM

I passed on one of the best 8's I have ever seen in my life 2 days ago. I picked up the cell phone and videoed him for a few minutes and then watched him walk away. Wanted to put an arrow in him but it just seemed to easy with the crossbow. stir

True story on the 8. Truth is I am after a 12 year old legendary 8 point that has teased me for years. And easy or not he will get a arrow from the xbow if I get a chance. grin

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 06:52 PM

angel

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 06:54 PM

I passed on one of the best 8's I have ever seen in my life 2 days ago. I picked up the cell phone and videoed him for a few minutes and then watched him walk away. Wanted to put an arrow in him but it just seemed to easy with the crossbow. stir

True story on the 8. Truth is I am after a 12 year old legendary 8 point that has teased me for years. And easy or not he will get a arrow from the xbow if I get a chance. grin

pride is a nasty thing sometimes... then you get hungry and realize its still much more challenging that a rifle

Mine is an oldschool recurve Xbow with irons.. I want one of those reverse bows though..

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 07:30 PM

Lol every difference of opinion makes the other guy an "elitist". Everybody should be allowed to do anything, anywhere, anytime - and get a medal for it to boot.

Heck, I think The Man is keeping us down by having seasons and bag limits. And why the heck can't we hunt at night? What's up with that crap? This is America after all! All these rules! All these lines!

For life of me I can't figure out why it matters if my wife or child uses a cross, wheeled or traditional bow during a "non"firearm season, especially when management objectives push it. Weapon usage is a wildlife management tool as is tag allocation. I cant figure out how that's even remotely a socialist agruement?

I could careless how you hunt or the weapon use choose to take the feild with you. What I do care about is getting people into the field and then having an enjoyable time so that our traditions and freedoms remain current.

The ones concerned about Others having an unfair advantage (socialist term within its self) are those putting others below them.

Obviously you and I hunt for entirely different reasons. Weapon useage is a management tool not "how to rank my trophy tool."

Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/30/15 09:02 PM

I like shooting rifles so that's all I hunt with. I have a long time friend who only [compound] bow hunts - he doesn't even own a gun, never has.

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/31/15 04:35 AM

For life of me I can't figure out why it matters if my wife or child uses a cross, wheeled or traditional bow during a "non"firearm season, especially when management objectives push it. Weapon usage is a wildlife management tool as is tag allocation. I cant figure out how that's even remotely a socialist agruement?

I could careless how you hunt or the weapon use choose to take the feild with you. What I do care about is getting people into the field and then having an enjoyable time so that our traditions and freedoms remain current.

The ones concerned about Others having an unfair advantage (socialist term within its self) are those putting others below them.

Obviously you and I hunt for entirely different reasons. Weapon useage is a management tool not "how to rank my trophy tool."

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: bow vs crossbow - 10/31/15 05:04 AM

Well said. up I can't draw a bow right now because of my shoulder, but even if I could I would still hunt with my Xbow because it's fun and a different way to put meat in the freezer. I don't care if you're a [censored] strong 21 yr old that can lift a truck by yourself and draw an 80 lb bow all day, if you wanna shoot a Xbow, tacticool AR, whatever I'm down. Whatever it takes to get more people involved in hunting. Our numbers aren't getting any bigger, as hunters. I used to hunt with some guys that would give you the evil eye and then some if you even mentioned the word Xbow, as all were hard core bow hunters like I used to be. Who cares, wanna shoot a Xbow shoot one. Just get out there and hunt!

Re: bow vs crossbow - 11/06/15 01:13 AM

You proved others point! If someone crossbow hunts in October that traditionally hunted gun season, then there are more people hunting......

And if you think crossbows get more people in the field, you have drunk some Kool Aid. They get more in the field in October now -

So rifle hunters can't switch to a bow/crossbow, yet bow hunters can switch to a gun? I saw if you hunt with a bow, you should only be able to hunt October period
The "more new hunters" saw as it relates to crossbows in bow season is a myth. It's just more rifle hunters getting an extra month to hunt. Period.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum