Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: lease prices [Re: therancher] #5763703 05/28/15 08:44 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: titan2232
You can still find good land for lease at a good price, but you'll have to by pass the "middle man". My family and I stumbled upon a good deal back in January on a place in eastern Val Verde County. The LO and his ranch hand had a big disagreement which led to the entire group being booted off.

The LO told us flat out: "Mr Jones (ranch hand) was bringing double the allowable hunters out and charging them $3,800 a gun. Mr Jones only paid 20K for the 3200 acres which was supposed to have 10 hunters max. A few months into season I found out Mr Jones and his hunters were slaughtering Axis when I clearly stated no axis should be taken."

LO told us that the 20K for the lease is a drop in the bucket to what he makes on his sheep and 200 gas well. Said he just wanted a serious group that would take care of his land and manage the deer under his rules and the money meant nothing.

I think there are still opportunities like this you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Wow, sounds like his "ranch manager" might have been accepting golf games and steak dinners from his "friend" the "lease manager". Funny how the ranch owner who doesn't "need the money" was pissed that his "ranch manger" was accepting bribes....

This all sounds so.... familiar. popcorn

Huge Difference ....in taking care of people then taking advantage of people.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: lease prices [Re: Navasot] #5763705 05/28/15 08:45 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Navasot
I don't see how someone says they can hunt in like Kansas for cheaper if they are really hunting the place... I don't care if its free if you hunt it even a dozen times a year how are you not getting eat up in Fuel?

X100 it's cheaper for me to lease then hunt my own ranch, and on top of that every trip is a tax deduction

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: lease prices [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5764300 05/29/15 03:35 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
You can still find good land for lease at a good price, but you'll have to by pass the "middle man". My family and I stumbled upon a good deal back in January on a place in eastern Val Verde County. The LO and his ranch hand had a big disagreement which led to the entire group being booted off.

The LO told us flat out: "Mr Jones (ranch hand) was bringing double the allowable hunters out and charging them $3,800 a gun. Mr Jones only paid 20K for the 3200 acres which was supposed to have 10 hunters max. A few months into season I found out Mr Jones and his hunters were slaughtering Axis when I clearly stated no axis should be taken."

LO told us that the 20K for the lease is a drop in the bucket to what he makes on his sheep and 200 gas well. Said he just wanted a serious group that would take care of his land and manage the deer under his rules and the money meant nothing.

I think there are still opportunities like this you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Wow, sounds like his "ranch manager" might have been accepting golf games and steak dinners from his "friend" the "lease manager". Funny how the ranch owner who doesn't "need the money" was pissed that his "ranch manger" was accepting bribes....

Huge Difference ....in taking care of people then taking advantage of people.

Yep. Sure is. And in the illustrated situation the LO did in fact care about being ripped off. Typically they do.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5764308 05/29/15 03:48 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
My daddy used to tell me and my brother "If a man tells you it ain't about the money - it's about the money every time". I have found this to be very true. If folks are concerned about the money, they'll never bring it up.

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5764488 05/29/15 01:46 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
You've got to pay to play.

I pay 4500 a year for our place. We have been lucky as we have not been increased for 8 years until this year.

It's all in what you value in life. I gladly pay $375 a month to have year round access to 9000 acres that I have the freedom to visit year round with family and friends. Do you have any idea what it would cost to own and upkeep 9000 acres?

We have fantastic hunting, but I look at the harvest of animals as the icing on the cake. I'd pay what I pay just to have a beautiful piece of property that I can use like my own with family and friends teeming with wildlife and far away from the metromess. cheers

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: lease prices [Re: therancher] #5765082 05/29/15 07:46 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

Sounds to me that this "ranch manager" was taking from all sides and lining his pockets. Big difference between going golfing and eating dinner with people and double and triple dipping so you can line your own pocket cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: lease prices [Re: txshntr] #5765100 05/29/15 07:57 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Sounds to me that this "ranch manager" was taking from all sides and lining his pockets. Big difference between going golfing and eating dinner with people and double and triple dipping so you can line your own pocket cheers

Agreed. But, it was a pretty good op to tweak u.

And, point out that people richern 4' up a boars azz actually do in fact not like getting ripped off. Contrary to your silly self serving opinion. wink

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5765358 05/29/15 10:44 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
This is a little 18 acre LF place I have about 2 miles from Bandera. A person could take WT and Axis enough for probably 4 people of it. If I wanted to lease it and charged say $3000 people would scream bloody murder. But if you look at what people pay for larger tracks and have very few deer plus no exotics it is actually pretty reasonable. leases for deer are like buying what you can afford. Some drive BMW and some Fords. The free market will take care of everything if you just give it time.

Re: lease prices [Re: therancher] #5765388 05/29/15 11:02 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: txshntr

And, point out that people richern 4' up a boars azz actually do in fact not like getting ripped off. Contrary to your silly self serving opinion. wink

rofl You disapeared for a spell and I haven't been on as much as usual....did see that you found my poke at you the other day though grin

Sometimes there is a fine line between getting ripped off and a good business decision grin

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5765490 05/30/15 12:27 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
When you decide to lease something you are in the drivers seat. You are the one either shelling out the cash or writing the check. If you think it is too much money then walk away. Nothing in this world is too expensive for everyone. Lease prices are what they are because the free market has made them what they are. If they are too high then there will not be a market for them sand the price will go down. If there are more people looking for them than are available then the price will go up. Live with it. Unless Obama gets involved with deer leases and thinks everyone should have a lease the same as health care it won't change.

Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5765527 05/30/15 12:53 AM
B
BA223 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: don k
When you decide to lease something you are in the drivers seat. You are the one either shelling out the cash or writing the check. If you think it is too much money then walk away. Nothing in this world is too expensive for everyone. Lease prices are what they are because the free market has made them what they are. If they are too high then there will not be a market for them sand the price will go down. If there are more people looking for them than are available then the price will go up. Live with it. Unless Obama gets involved with deer leases and thinks everyone should have a lease the same as health care it won't change.

Whew...and dang! I sure hope the O never gets involved in our hunting habits.

Re: lease prices [Re: BA223] #5765666 05/30/15 02:19 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BA223

Whew...and dang! I sure hope the O never gets involved in our hunting habits.
You never know. He is getting involved with way more now than he should.

Re: lease prices [Re: txshntr] #5766363 05/30/15 05:20 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

This all sounds so.... familiar. popcorn [/quote]

Sounds to me that this "ranch manager" was taking from all sides and lining his pockets. Big difference between going golfing and eating dinner with people and double and triple dipping so you can line your own pocket cheers [/quote]

And, point out that people richern 4' up a boars azz actually do in fact not like getting ripped off. Contrary to your silly self serving opinion. wink [/quote]

rofl You disapeared for a spell and I haven't been on as much as usual....did see that you found my poke at you the other day though grin

Sometimes there is a fine line between getting ripped off and a good business decision grin [/quote]

Difference usually depends on Ripper and Rippee. Morals change according to stories. Just like judging alcohol consumption.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: lease prices [Re: blackcoal] #5767192 05/31/15 12:37 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Agreed. Pretty obvious to me that when you openly admit to serving up free steaks and golf to the ranch manager, who in turn hides higher lease offers from the landowner, you are in fact at least, a co-Ripper.

While the LO is the sole Rippee.

Yep, pretty obvious from my perspective. confused2

Last edited by therancher; 05/31/15 12:37 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5767346 05/31/15 02:41 PM
A
aeb Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A
You guys are beginning to get worried about my ranch manager. I may need to check on him a bit more. Especially since I see his truck parked at my house pretty often!

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5767362 05/31/15 02:52 PM
C
capncash Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Seems like stuff around here has shot up insanely. Had a line on an elk ranch with landowner tags and was later to find out the landowner wanted $17K. Duck hunting leases have been going up something fierce also. My main property, which is 680 acres of property on which water is not at all guaranteed, went up 20% this year. Duck hunting was marginal last year but there was an early freeze. Picked up some river bottom which went for $8K (would have been 3K 2 years ago). A few outfitters have been running through here offering double what other people are paying for lease prices. The "little guy" doesn't have a chance.

Cash E Hogsett
https://birdsandbucksoutdoors.com/colorado-goose-hunting/colorado-duck-hunting/

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5768299 06/01/15 12:23 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I won't say any names, but I know a fella (ranch manager) that handles 15+ ranches all around the Hill Country. This guy makes a real good living @ $12K to $40K per ranch and also gets to choose one for his own use. Good guy that supplies all the equipment and even yearly feed for a few of the ranches. Better believe these ranches aren't $2K a gun up

Re: lease prices [Re: aeb] #5768362 06/01/15 01:25 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: aeb
You guys are beginning to get worried about my ranch manager. I may need to check on him a bit more. Especially since I see his truck parked at my house pretty often!

Yep. Mine is sleeping with my wife!!

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5768444 06/01/15 02:15 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
This is a little 18 acre LF place I have about 2 miles from Bandera. A person could take WT and Axis enough for probably 4 people of it. If I wanted to lease it and charged say $3000 people would scream bloody murder. But if you look at what people pay for larger tracks and have very few deer plus no exotics it is actually pretty reasonable. leases for deer are like buying what you can afford. Some drive BMW and some Fords. The free market will take care of everything if you just give it time.

So you gona lease it??

Last edited by Navasot; 06/01/15 02:15 PM.
Re: lease prices [Re: Navasot] #5768571 06/01/15 03:43 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

So you gona lease it??
I don't want to offend anyone but no. I don't need the headaches of leasing.

Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5768617 06/01/15 04:02 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Maybe you could just let me come shoot a couple of axis doe for the meat then. grin

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: lease prices [Re: esnow74] #5768629 06/01/15 04:06 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I wonder with oil situation if more land will open back up? If I was making a bunch of money on oil I wouldn't want to deal with hunters either.

I've never seen a perfect situation for a lease, it is usually just finding best of the worst.

Re: lease prices [Re: therancher] #5768630 06/01/15 04:07 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: aeb

Yep. Mine is sleeping with my wife!!

Can't hardly blame her - he's a very charming fellow

Re: lease prices [Re: don k] #5768632 06/01/15 04:07 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

So you gona lease it??
I don't want to offend anyone but no. I don't need the headaches of leasing.

lol oh I hear you on that... I couldn't imagine leasing property... but I bet you could do it quick at that price even..

Re: lease prices [Re: therancher] #5768707 06/01/15 04:49 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Agreed. Pretty obvious to me that when you openly admit to serving up free steaks and golf to the ranch manager, who in turn hides higher lease offers from the landowner, you are in fact at least, a co-Ripper.

While the LO is the sole Rippee.

Yep, pretty obvious from my perspective. confused2

Oh, if only it was that simple...but we both know it isn't.

Random phone call with an offer from someone you have never met for $10k more than the current lease, sight unseen versus a group that has been around for over 20 years, has taken care of the place, helped with ranch work, been good stewards of the land, knows the owners personally, etc....yep, sounds just like the OP to me.

Plus, big difference between a lease manager and a ranch manager that has a monetary stake in the profit of the overall ranch....but why get into the minor details. For some, it is only about the money and relationships and trust have nothing to do with it cheers

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide