Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: The price we pay [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5603116 02/17/15 01:09 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It's kind of amusing to see folks from obviously very different financial situations discuss what can and cannot be done about stuff like leasing, buying land, and/or paying for hunts. No way one size fits all. Some can do things others will never be able to do.

Don those prices look pretty dang high for 35 years ago. We were paying half the cost of a hog per man to lease 1000 acres. Just saying....

Where there is a will there is a way.

Re: The price we pay [Re: Txduckman] #5603447 02/17/15 03:02 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
You have to sell to retire? When you are ready to enjoy it you must sell it? That doesn't sound like fun. I thought we were talking about buying land to hunt as opposed to leasing land to hunt. Land should just be a mix of future potential retirement income. There is interest on the note, taxes, insurance, up keep, driving to and from, etc. Stocks are much cheaper to own with zero sweat equity for retirement income. If I was to invest in land for retirement it would be close to the city for development that could sell at a big multiple possibly. Doubling your money on land over time is just about breaking even.

Doubling your money is not about like breaking even don't know where u came up with that

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603453 02/17/15 03:04 AM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I think the feedlot style pick an animal to shoot type operations will see some price pressures. Seems like last couple years prices have crept down. Getting some market saturation there it seems and there will definitely be less cash thrown around in Texas this year.

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603487 02/17/15 03:13 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
It's a matter of choice.

I see nothing wrong with renting someone elses land but that can end in a hurry and you're out looking for another place. If things change you have options to seek something better for you.

I decided to buy with a Texas Veterans loan and sign a personal note for the rest. It has taken over 30+ years to get to the current point. It's mine and I can do as I please which you can't on someone elses land. It is certainly more expensive than leasing but in the end it is mine. The biggest downside is that I can't afford to hunt out of State or find another place. No matter what happens, for better or worse, I own it and am stuck with it. I'm also stuck with taxes, insurance, maintenance and all of the other expenses of property ownership. And, I don't live there. But, at the end of the 30 years, I have an asset. It's about like buying vs renting a home.

Gotta admit, I have no idea how much the difference would be be if I had just leased and banked/invested the difference.

Have to be rich? None of the landowners around me are rich. They just drive older pickups than other people and don't go on vacations. I'll repeat that just about anybody can do it. It's a matter of priorities. Some of those priorities aren't pleasant.

Sweat doesn't work? Not if you figure that weekends are for watching football instead of helping someone clear land or build fence. Nor, if you make sure that the guy knows that he is getting your help only to get something from him.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 02/17/15 03:17 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: The price we pay [Re: Dave Davidson] #5603496 02/17/15 03:17 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
It's a matter of choice.

I see nothing wrong with renting someone elses land but that can end in a hurry and you're out looking for another place. If things change you have options to seek something better for you.

I decided to buy with a Texas Veterans loan and sign a personal note for the rest. It has taken over 30+ years to get to the current point. It's mine and I can do as I please which you can't on someone elses land. It is certainly more expensive than leasing but in the end it is mine. The biggest downside is that I can't afford to hunt out of State or find another place. No matter what happens, for better or worse, I own it and am stuck with it. I'm also stuck with taxes, insurance, maintenance and all of the other expenses of property ownership. And, I don't live there. But, at the end of the 30 years, I have an asset. It's about like buying vs renting a home.

Have to be rich? None of the landowners around me are rich. They just drive older pickups than other people and don't go on vacations. I'll repeat that just about anybody can do it. It's a matter of priorities. Some of those priorities aren't pleasant.

Sweat doesn't work? Not if you figure that weekends are for watching football instead of helping someone clear land or build fence. Nor, if you make sure that the guy knows that he is getting your help only to get something from him.

How big a place you have?

Lots of these posts are talking about " he'll anyone can do it" but there is a big difference in buying 50-100 acres and buying 500 +

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603519 02/17/15 03:25 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
133 acres

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603542 02/17/15 03:35 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Location plays a big part in it too buying 133 acres in one area maybe totally different in another area concerning prove

Saying anyone can do it is painting it with a pretty broad brush

Re: The price we pay [Re: HillbillyDeluxe] #5603595 02/17/15 04:00 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
Originally Posted By: therancher
Typically folks like you want to hunt trophies for 70's prices. Very few people could even hunt trophies back then (there weren't that many trophies), and prices were "high" for them. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good pity party. loser8

First of all, you don't know me or anything about me. So saying what "folks like me" think or want or do means absolutely nothing coming from you. But I'm sure you're used to that.....even though you are blind to it.

I merely stated facts concerning the topic posed by the OP and you started your usual name-calling. And no worries....I don't want to kill anything you have for '70s prices. Matter of fact, I wouldn't kill your livestock if YOU paid ME. Notice I said kill, and not hunt.

You should probably pay for some reading comprehension courses. Hopefully would help you keep from imagining name calling...

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: Western] #5603626 02/17/15 04:20 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I would also like to know where all these property owners are that will let you hunt for work... has definitely not been my experience of the "norm" Most are worried about getting sued.

Yes Sir, I think that is crap too, may have been the case 30 years ago, but now generally involves friends or family for "that".

I have 4 close friends that are large land owners with MLD. All of them let friends who work kill culls, does and hogs/turkey's. I really don't know any landowners who don't. My experience is obviously different than yours.

And RC I said CAN do it. Yes, virtually everyone CAN buy their own place. Not many have the required drive or commitment. But that's a choice, they could if they wanted to.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: Txduckman] #5603648 02/17/15 04:35 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Txduckman
You have to sell to retire? When you are ready to enjoy it you must sell it? That doesn't sound like fun. I thought we were talking about buying land to hunt as opposed to leasing land to hunt. Land should just be a mix of future potential retirement income. There is interest on the note, taxes, insurance, up keep, driving to and from, etc. Stocks are much cheaper to own with zero sweat equity for retirement income. If I was to invest in land for retirement it would be close to the city for development that could sell at a big multiple possibly. Doubling your money on land over time is just about breaking even.

You don't have to sell to retire if you do it right. And just doubling or depending on time etc tripling/quadrupling your money isn't the only thing that makes it better than stock. The legal tax breaks are incredible.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603687 02/17/15 05:19 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I am in the camp that it is way cheaper to lease than buy.

Big Beckett!!
Re: The price we pay [Re: Ramsey] #5603697 02/17/15 05:39 AM
T
Texas Tatonkas Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
I am in the camp that it is way cheaper to lease than buy.

....not if I get a free yeti out of the deal. duel

Re: The price we pay [Re: tlk] #5603746 02/17/15 06:58 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: tlk
in the 50's when I was a kid I remember being at my dads lease and all of the adults complaining about the cost for a year round lease - $250 per man. It is all relative

And we lived in smaller houses, had a lot less outside of the home expenses. Eating out was treat, not a weekly or daily stop at a fast food place. One vehicle per family, or maybe a used older pickup as a second vehicle. Entertainment was play outside until dinner time, just don't bother the neighbors. Simple times.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: txtrophy85] #5603748 02/17/15 07:01 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

1984 min wage was $3.35 hr/ Min wage was $5.25/hr when I entered the workforce in 2000. We bought a brand new, off the lot ford ext. cab XLT heavy duty powerstroke off the lot in 96', sticker price was $28k

hell my stepdad bought a truck in 02' ford reg. cab V-6 1/2 ton for $15k off the lot

In 1966, a F100 would cost you $1995 brand new. Starting wages was around $1 to $2 for a beginner out of high school.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: txtrophy85] #5603777 02/17/15 11:15 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Yeah, I guess it is a broad brush and I'm wrong on that.
Some of my High School buddies got rich and I didn't. Lots of things can go right or wrong on the journey. A divorce dang near wiped me out 30 years ago and about all I had left was the land, an old pickup and child support payments.

But, IMO, it's generally about choices and priorities as we go through life.

Re: The price we pay [Re: dogcatcher] #5603838 02/17/15 12:51 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: tlk
in the 50's when I was a kid I remember being at my dads lease and all of the adults complaining about the cost for a year round lease - $250 per man. It is all relative

And we lived in smaller houses, had a lot less outside of the home expenses. Eating out was treat, not a weekly or daily stop at a fast food place. One vehicle per family, or maybe a used older pickup as a second vehicle. Entertainment was play outside until dinner time, just don't bother the neighbors. Simple times.
They can be simple now if a person would let them be.

Re: The price we pay [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5603846 02/17/15 12:56 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
It's kind of amusing to see folks from obviously very different financial situations discuss what can and cannot be done about stuff like leasing, buying land, and/or paying for hunts. No way one size fits all. Some can do things others will never be able to do.

Don those prices look pretty dang high for 35 years ago. We were paying half the cost of a hog per man to lease 1000 acres. Just saying....
Actually they were more reasonable than most outfitters in the area at that time. We were right across the road in Ingram from Texotic Wildlife, A K A Thompson Temple in his hay day. We were cheaper than him but did not have the name or advertising money or animals he did.

Re: The price we pay [Re: don k] #5603862 02/17/15 01:13 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: don k

Actually they were more reasonable than most outfitters in the area at that time. We were right across the road in Ingram from Texotic Wildlife, A K A Thompson Temple in his hay day. We were cheaper than him but did not have the name or advertising money or animals he did.

I remember that place. I'm also assuming animals weren't as readily available back then and thus more costly in relative terms. Just guessing.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: The price we pay [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5603880 02/17/15 01:23 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Old topic. It's just capitalism at work. I do think the price structure has limited many families from having year-round leases. Almost every boy I grew up with had a family deer lease to go to (plus many had the family farm too). Buying or begging a hunt every now and then is just not the same. It's a shame but much to be done about it though.....

Things had changed by the time I came through school. For the most part, certain families still had the family farms and leases. Other families that had moved in didn't place as much value on hunting.

Re: The price we pay [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5603884 02/17/15 01:26 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: don k

I remember that place. I'm also assuming animals weren't as readily available back then and thus more costly in relative terms. Just guessing.
Very true. The only place we hunted that had a lot of different animals was the Flying A in Bandera. The rest were usually different ranches that had either BB, Axis. Sheep or whatever. And there were really not that many hogs at least around this area back then. And that price was for a big Russian type Boar. Those were usually trapped then turned out and hunted with dogs. We were getting the majority of our hunters out of La. A lot of oil money there at that time. Also got in with the Director of marketing for Colt Firearms and he brought quite a few people for a few years. then the oil money went away and it all dried up. You never know maybe like now.

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603904 02/17/15 01:37 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Lots of generalizations regarding land ownership in here. As I've always said, big difference in purchasing 200 acres or less vs. 500 acres or more. For 200 acres or less, with a decent down payment, 20-50%, you are talking about servicing a loan of $150-200K up to 20 yrs./maybe 30 yrs. if you can find one.
For 500 acres, after downpayment, you're still talking about servicing a loan of $600-$800K. Lot easier in my book to debt service $200K vs. $800K. I'm not a mathematician, just a guy with an accounting degree that works in Finance/Accounting for a living.

Re: The price we pay [Re: DQ Kid] #5603909 02/17/15 01:41 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Lots of generalizations regarding land ownership in here. As I've always said, big difference in purchasing 200 acres or less vs. 500 acres or more. For 200 acres or less, with a decent down payment, 20-50%, you are talking about servicing a loan of $150-200K up to 20 yrs./maybe 30 yrs. if you can find one.
For 500 acres, after downpayment, you're still talking about servicing a loan of $600-$800K. Lot easier in my book to debt service $200K vs. $800K. I'm not a mathematician, just a guy with an accounting degree that works in Finance/Accounting for a living.

way too many generalizations here.

its a common theme that if you "don't buy too big a house, drive an old car and don't eat out" you'll be able to have a ranch.

Not once has anyone brought up positive cash flow....they all want to save their way to a property.

Re: The price we pay [Re: txtrophy85] #5603940 02/17/15 01:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

its a common theme that if you "don't buy too big a house, drive an old car and don't eat out" you'll be able to have a ranch.

Not once has anyone brought up positive cash flow....they all want to save their way to a property.

I guess everyone is buying land that will not help pay for itself also via some income from any or all of these.... livestock, farming, hay production, etc.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: The price we pay [Re: stxranchman] #5603944 02/17/15 02:00 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I guess everyone is buying land that will not help pay for itself also via some income from any or all of these.... livestock, farming, hay production, etc.

nope....who would have ever thought of such a thing. Its starbucks, Chevrolet and olive gardens fault no one can afford to buy land.

its been my experience that property owners keep a place for about 2-3 years before they realize the cost of maintaining a place and then begin to lease grazing, farm hay, sell hunts, etc

Re: The price we pay [Re: 7mag] #5603966 02/17/15 02:11 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Have to do something for exemptions. Our place sits pretty idle. Trees are a 30yr crop, hay field yields roughly 250 bales a year.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide