Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506162 12/29/14 04:51 PM
P
Pope&Young Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
eeks333 Just think of the possibilities if he planted that open field with winter wheat rifle

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: Pope&Young] #5506167 12/29/14 04:53 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
eeks333 Just think of the possibilities if he planted that open field with winter wheat rifle

Just think of the thread that the guy who planted the wheat would post on THF about his neighbor across the fence hunting his wheat and deer on it. peep

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5506212 12/29/14 05:22 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I swear, by some of the comments on here makes me think these guys want HOA type rules to cover what you can do on your own land.

YEP! But then again, nobody wants HOA rules because they don't want to be told what they can do on their own land. They just want to make sure their neighbors can't do what they don't approve of them doing.

Quote:
what about just plain old common sense and respect for your neighbors?

Ever notice when people complain most about a lack of common sense in when the common sense of another doesn't agree with what the speaker doesn't think is right? Ok then How about respecting your neighbor and treating them the way you would like to be treated

"Common sense" is information or understandings held in common. Based on the discussion of this thread, the "correct" placement of that stand and feeder is not commonly held.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: stxranchman] #5506217 12/29/14 05:26 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
No it would not bother me since it is his land and his right to hunt it how he wants to. It would bother me more if he was facing his blind and feeder at my land or if I had a road down the fence.

This.

His land, not shooting into the neighboring property - there is nothing to complain about here.

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: stxranchman] #5506220 12/29/14 05:27 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

Just think of the thread that the guy who planted the wheat would post on THF about his neighbor across the fence hunting his wheat and deer on it. peep

Yeah id have that entire pasture as a plot!

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: wisco-hunter] #5506235 12/29/14 05:32 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: wisco-hunter
This question is for the hunters that this wouldn't bother, if you were hunting the stand in the field, would you be bothered if TxAggie10 set up a stand 20 yards to the left of the feeder...say 3 feet on his side of the fence and shoot the deer that are walking to the feeder that you have been supplying? I'm just wondering if there is any unwritten common courtesy in today's world or if most hunters go by "as long as its legal" who cares about courtesy. I guess this must be a flat bill era thing... My grandpa would hop out of his grave and slap the s#$% out of me if I did this to anyone.

I bet your grandfather also didn't act like he owned the deer simply because he put a feeder up on his land. I also bet he had the attitude of "his land, his rules" and not "it's MY fenceline and he can't do what I don't approve of on HIS SIDE of that fenceline".

It works both ways with the "common courtesy" and "ethics" thing.

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506239 12/29/14 05:34 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
IDK but whatever you do - do not google blowdart + deer + testical.

I'm a terrible shot but I follow up with a grenade!
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: txbobcat] #5506241 12/29/14 05:35 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: txbobcat
The reason for so many high fences.

I disagree - the reason for so many high fences lies mostly with those high fencing and the prevailing attitude that if you feed deer, they are somehow your deer and you are somehow guaranteed a return on your investment.

If more people would talk to each other and not have the attitude that you own wild game, or that horns are the end all of all things deer hunting, high fences would not be as much of an hot button topic as they are today.

That won't eliminate the d-bags that day hunt on 20 acres and leach off of their neighbor's larger place, but it would reduce the attitude of "welp, just high fence it" that is unfortunately so common.

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: Pope&Young] #5506261 12/29/14 05:45 PM
W
whitetail85 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
This is exactly what I thought soon as I saw the pic

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: schmellba99] #5506391 12/29/14 06:48 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: schmellba99
This question is for the hunters that this wouldn't bother, if you were hunting the stand in the field, would you be bothered if TxAggie10 set up a stand 20 yards to the left of the feeder...say 3 feet on his side of the fence and shoot the deer that are walking to the feeder that you have been supplying? I'm just wondering if there is any unwritten common courtesy in today's world or if most hunters go by "as long as its legal" who cares about courtesy. I guess this must be a flat bill era thing... My grandpa would hop out of his grave and slap the s#$% out of me if I did this to anyone.

I bet your grandfather also didn't act like he owned the deer simply because he put a feeder up on his land. I also bet he had the attitude of "his land, his rules" and not "it's MY fenceline and he can't do what I don't approve of on HIS SIDE of that fenceline".

It was my grandfather who taught me to treat neighbors with respect and like I would want to be treated. There are many things that are "legal" but still simply not the right thing to do to another person. Common respect and courtesy is a pretty hard thing to argue with but I am sure you will

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: schmellba99] #5506471 12/29/14 07:42 PM
W
wisco-hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W

Is this your stand??? up roflmao

Why is it that every time I push #1 for english, I cannot understand the person on the other end???
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506501 12/29/14 08:06 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
The reason we have laws is because people can't agree on what is supposedly common sense, integrity, courtesy, or what have you.

As for things being better in the good old days with grandfathers and such, those old farts got mad at their neighbors as well, complained that they did things wrong, etc. Invoking nostalgia for the good old days is just ice cream served over a helping of small pox.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12/29/14 08:09 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: tlk] #5506513 12/29/14 08:14 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: tlk

It was my grandfather who taught me to treat neighbors with respect and like I would want to be treated. There are many things that are "legal" but still simply not the right thing to do to another person. Common respect and courtesy is a pretty hard thing to argue with but I am sure you will

Common respect and courtesy is, like anything else - highly subjective.

I respect property rights and think that the guy that owns the land on the other side of the fence has a right to do what he wants within the confines of his property boundaries, especially if said activities does not endanger you or encroach on your private property rights.

Setting a stand and feeder up to take advantage of the terrain on his side of the fence line, while it may be annoying to you, is not disrespectful or discourteous in of itself. Especially if he's shooting away from your fence. Now if you went and politely talked to him about it, expressing your concerns on safety, etc. and he told you to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, then you'd have an argument on disrespectful behavior. But the OP has made no mention of that aspect.

What I find interesting is the idea that you should be able to dictate to your neighbor how, how much, when and what for they can use their own property.

How about this scenario - instead of a feeder, the neighbor plants the field in alfalfa and winter wheat and in doing so the deer are not nearly as interested in your feeder and therefore spend more time on his side of the fence instead of eating your sweet corn at your feeder? Would he be the d-bag you want him to be in that scenario?

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: wisco-hunter] #5506516 12/29/14 08:17 PM
S
schmellba99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

Is this your stand??? up roflmao

Nope, I don't have a dog in the fight. I just get tired of the attitude that many seem to have with respect as to what they think their neighbors should be able to do on their side of the fence line.

It generally seems to get lost in the bitching and moaning that a fence line has 2 owners and not just one, and I'm a huge believer in not having my neighbor be able to dictate what I can and cannot do on my own land (hypothetically speaking, because I unfortunately don't own any land).

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: schmellba99] #5506593 12/29/14 08:55 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Common respect and courtesy is, like anything else - highly subjective.

I respect property rights and think that the guy that owns the land on the other side of the fence has a right to do what he wants within the confines of his property boundaries, especially if said activities does not endanger you or encroach on your private property rights.

Setting a stand and feeder up to take advantage of the terrain on his side of the fence line, while it may be annoying to you, is not disrespectful or discourteous in of itself. Especially if he's shooting away from your fence. Now if you went and politely talked to him about it, expressing your concerns on safety, etc. and he told you to stick it where the sun doesn't shine, then you'd have an argument on disrespectful behavior. But the OP has made no mention of that aspect.

What I find interesting is the idea that you should be able to dictate to your neighbor how, how much, when and what for they can use their own property.

How about this scenario - instead of a feeder, the neighbor plants the field in alfalfa and winter wheat and in doing so the deer are not nearly as interested in your feeder and therefore spend more time on his side of the fence instead of eating your sweet corn at your feeder? Would he be the d-bag you want him to be in that scenario?

Figures - you are arguing his right to do it - I am arguing that I would not do it out of respect for my neighbor - big difference. Again a person has a "right" to do a lot of things but it doesn't make it the right thing to do. It is amazing to have to argue with someone about being respectful of other people and being thoughtful of others -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: Navasot] #5506601 12/29/14 08:57 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Yeah id have that entire pasture as a plot!

So you're THAT guy? roflmao

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506607 12/29/14 09:01 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'm that guy. No feeder, just a plot and about 500# of corn scattered across it when I planned to hunt....with a stand looking like an air traffic control tower where I could shoot it all.

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506616 12/29/14 09:06 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
rifleman?

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: tlk] #5506621 12/29/14 09:08 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Figures - you are arguing his right to do it - I am arguing that I would not do it out of respect for my neighbor - big difference. Again a person has a "right" to do a lot of things but it doesn't make it the right thing to do. It is amazing to have to argue with someone about being respectful of other people and being thoughtful of others -

"My grandpa wouldn't do it", a feel good statement that doesn't hold water, your bucket is full of holes. The same crap went on years ago, as far back as you want to research. You can go to any county in Texas and look up legal property disputes and find where grandpas were arguing with neighbors as long as records have been kept. You can then add thousands of situations that never went to court to be settled.

An example, I remember one dispute over weeds growing on the fence line, one was pissed at the other because he let the weeds grow on his since of the fence. bang

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: stxranchman] #5506635 12/29/14 09:13 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
rifleman?

That works!

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506637 12/29/14 09:15 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You should be able air a few shots out from that one cheers

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: stxranchman] #5506644 12/29/14 09:18 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
rifleman?

rofl roflmao

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: TxAggie10] #5506645 12/29/14 09:19 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
As long as there were no Goats, Turkeys or Coons I would be okay with all of that set up..

Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: dogcatcher] #5506649 12/29/14 09:21 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

"My grandpa wouldn't do it", a feel good statement that doesn't hold water, your bucket is full of holes. The same crap went on years ago, as far back as you want to research. You can go to any county in Texas and look up legal property disputes and find where grandpas were arguing with neighbors as long as records have been kept. You can then add thousands of situations that never went to court to be settled.

An example, I remember one dispute over weeds growing on the fence line, one was pissed at the other because he let the weeds grow on his since of the fence. bang

Who the hell said "my grandpa wouldn't do it?" I said my grandfather taught me to respect others - but you are right. Screw your neighbor -

Last edited by tlk; 12/29/14 09:22 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunting the fence? [Re: stxranchman] #5506657 12/29/14 09:24 PM
Payne Offline
Cat Herder
Cat Herder
rifleman?

Oh my, I want one.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread