Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5452266 12/01/14 10:53 PM
K
KH12 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Not ever seeing the dogs work just based on accomplishments yes thats prolly way over priced compared to alot of the breedings out there. You can find alot of breedings with all the health clearences and accomplishments to validate the sire and dam.I wouldnt be scared of a breeding if it has field trial dogs in its pedigree. Just shows that the dogs have the trainablity to do the work. Go to the retrievertraining.net and look at the puppy classifieds. Alot of really nice breedings on there. Also rody best just listed a really nice breeding on his website today with the dam being master hunter thats amatuer trained and the sire That was the high point choc derby dog. I believe that breeding has all the health certs people look for. Also check out stonebrook retrievers they have some nice breedings also.
http://www.stonebrookretrievers.com/current-and-future-litters.html

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5452540 12/02/14 12:41 AM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
$2,000 for a started dog maybe, Force fetch done, etc.

not trolling. If you do your homework and review pedigrees carefully, there are some great bloodlines out there for WAY less. Look at grandma and grandpa, look for titles, OFA, etc.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5453414 12/02/14 02:22 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
While the point is made that just a JH is nothing to get excited about. I will point out that George, the sire, is through the yard and will be running senior this spring. He will be one of the few CH/MH in the country when he's done training here. Yes Kate's pedigree is not spectacular but she's a proven producer and her puppy's are training nicely.

As to the price? I'm breeding what the market dictates. I can sell calm, tractable good looking puppies all day. FT/performance breedings not so much. They're too much dog on the average for the weekend warrior with a young family.

I'm also a lifetime resource for my puppy buyers. No question or situation is too trivial not to ask me.

Also I stand behind my puppies and will take them back at whatever age. I have had people bring back 4 and 5 year old dogs that I have rehomed. Life gets a little crazy sometimes and I want people to know they always have a place for their dog when they purchase a puppy from me.

I don't think you're going to find the above with a $600 puppy.

Angie

Last edited by Angie B; 12/02/14 02:23 PM.

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5453687 12/02/14 04:06 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Thanks for the response Angie (and everyone else as well.) Just to be clear, I don't necessarily have a problem with the price, I was just curious about how you got to the price with few "titles" in the pedigrees. Your explanation makes perfect sense to me. I have heard many wonderful things about Tioga and Angie and I have been referred to you guys from some acquaintances. I know there are many reputable breeders and trainers in Texas like Tony Marshall and such but Angie and Tioga happen to be the most convenient for me for where I live and having my trainer near me is very important. I could also never imagine giving a dog back after 6 months or 2 years or whatever. Poor puppies... but sometimes life gets in the way I guess...

Last edited by triggerbowtx; 12/02/14 05:21 PM.
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5453953 12/02/14 06:03 PM
J
Jordan A Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
It seems like the price comes from the fact that the sire does have the dual component of show and hunt test. You would be paying more because him and his parents have titles in both.

Could you find a dog to fulfill your needs for less? Yes.
But there are intangibles that you cannot put a price on such as the trust in the breeder and peace of mind.

“If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with the bird in its mouth.”
-William Maxwell
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5454112 12/02/14 07:32 PM
K
KH12 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
K
Just make sure you go watch both dogs work and evaluate them. Also go to a hunt test and watch the trainers. You can learn alot when you can compare trainers side by side and see how there dogs compare. You can also look on entry express and see what the pass/ fail ratio is for the dogs. I like to look on there and see how the trainer did and what there pass /fail ratio is.

As for selling a puppy based on potential is just a selling gimmick. Anybody can say a dog is trying to get a title. I can say my son is gonna by a pro athlete. Its all selling strategies. I think to justify a dog they have to have validity behind it. Not saying the dogs maybe one day could be a MH/MNH/FC etc. just hard to say your hoping it will be that. Wonder how much puppies would be if it had titles

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: KH12] #5454634 12/02/14 11:55 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: KH12
Just make sure you go watch both dogs work and evaluate them. Also go to a hunt test and watch the trainers. You can learn alot when you can compare trainers side by side and see how there dogs compare. You can also look on entry express and see what the pass/ fail ratio is for the dogs. I like to look on there and see how the trainer did and what there pass /fail ratio is.

As for selling a puppy based on potential is just a selling gimmick. Anybody can say a dog is trying to get a title. I can say my son is gonna by a pro athlete. Its all selling strategies. I think to justify a dog they have to have validity behind it. Not saying the dogs maybe one day could be a MH/MNH/FC etc. just hard to say your hoping it will be that. Wonder how much puppies would be if it had titles

Actually the price is the same. My good MH female with a 2 qualifying reserve jams was bred to NAFC Tubbs and the price was the same as the George X Kate litter. 2 different markets.

As far as me falsely advertising the stud of the litter. That's not the case. You forget I'm a professional trainer/breeder. I'd be a fool to lie about the litter I'm selling. I would be shooting myself in the foot. Who does that?

Angie

Last edited by Angie B; 12/03/14 12:04 AM.

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5455820 12/03/14 04:01 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I don't feel as though you're falsely advertising the litter. smile I'm certain they are amazing pups. (I know you were responding to someone else's critical post but I thought I would respond anyway). As mentioned before, I have had many recommendations for Tioga for a puppy and training and plan to get a pup from you someday. It was the Tubbs litter that had me confused with pricing I guess. I've been stalking your website for some time. So, in your opinion, was the Tubbs litter "field trial" ready and not for the common dog owner/weekend hunter? In other words would the Tubbs litter presumably have more puppies that are ready to compete and have more drive and be "too much dog" for the common man? And the puppies not be as "calm" in the house? And finally is this current litter more geared towards the people who want a great looking lab who also want a quality hunting dog?

Last edited by triggerbowtx; 12/03/14 04:28 PM.
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5455832 12/03/14 04:07 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I got a pup from Angie's Tubbs/Pepper litter a few months back. It was a performance breeding, but my pup is still very calm in the house. She'll just lay down beside us with a bone. Just have to exercise her a lot. This dog is serious about retrieving. Like nothing I have seen before (admittedly I haven't been around that many labs). She will go all day. She'll bring a ball to the window if she sees you through it from the back yard. I'm convinced it's all she thinks about.
She's not as good looking as George from the link above though (not that I care about that). She's more streamlined and smaller.

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: changedmyname] #5455889 12/03/14 04:33 PM
T
triggerbowtx Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
I got a pup from Angie's Tubbs/Pepper litter a few months back. It was a performance breeding, but my pup is still very calm in the house. She'll just lay down beside us with a bone. Just have to exercise her a lot. This dog is serious about retrieving. Like nothing I have seen before (admittedly I haven't been around that many labs). She will go all day. She'll bring a ball to the window if she sees you through it from the back yard. I'm convinced it's all she thinks about.
She's not as good looking as George from the link above though (not that I care about that). She's more streamlined and smaller.

That's great to hear! Sounds like you got a good one! I loved that litter but just wasn't ready to pull the trigger at that time.

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5457507 12/04/14 05:48 AM
M
Mathewrodriguez Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Caveat emptor! The referenced pedigree is fair at best on top and weak on the bottom.
Set aside field trial breedings, this breeding is neither a top-notch show breeding or hunt test breeding, much less a dual-purpose breeding. One may get a decent family/hunting dog, but $2k demands an outstanding family/hunting/hunt test/show dog. The Tioga name does not add value to a pup, titles in the pedigree do. A $2K pup should have highly titled parents and a solid pedigree. The best advice given was "go watch the sire and dam."

Last edited by Mathewrodriguez; 12/04/14 05:49 AM.
Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5457581 12/04/14 11:52 AM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I bet they sell.

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5457681 12/04/14 01:29 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I always go by, What's the pup worth to me.
Don't really care what its worth to someone else.
Its me the pup has to impress, and live with for the next decade.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5458145 12/04/14 10:04 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Angie does make a great point about the average guy not being equipped for a "hot" Field trial , even Hunt Test Dog

I was one of those guys back in 1987. I was just married and we wanted a "Black Lab". cause IMO they are the greatest dog EVER, IMO , not looking for 1 million disagreements.

I had NO idea what I was doing, this was back before we had the internet and all these GREAT forums to learn from.

SO, off I went to the Dallas Morning News classifieds. I found a gal in Tyler who bred her female , so her son could have a new duck dog.....right??? He went back to college and this gal was left with a litter she now had to get rid of, so she said, she was selling them for $500 but if I wanted one and would come to Tyler she would sell it for $250.

Remember I just wanted a "pet" . Too make a LONG story short, I came home with Lady Casey of Candlewood: Casey. I began to look for a trainer to help with basic obedience, I came across Gary Johnson at Tooth Acres Kennel in Farmers Branch TX. I had Casey with me, she was only a few months old. Gary looked at her Pedigree and his eyes widened and he said HMMMMM. We went out back with a pigeon wing started the "hey, hey pup"! through the wing up and the rest was history. Casey had Honcho blood, Candlewood blood and Trumarc blood, Some of you old timers will know these dogs well. After basic obedience Gary begged me to let him put Casey "on his truck" and let him train her and campaign her through field trials. All Professional Trainers are always looking for "THAT" special dog which might become a NFC, which makes the trainer quite popular (famous)well know, re; Danny Farmer, The Aycocks, etc.

Casey slept in bed with us, so her living at the kennel and being in a "box" on a truck all day was OUT. Gary helped us train Casey, some GREAT people, Dog people!!! Casey blew through her Junior and Senior titles, she won the Super Duper Singles in Alto Texas. This was a side game at hunt tests, where there would be a 300 yard and shorter "Mark" thrown, the dog was "called" and would be timed on how fast they could get to the bumper and back to the "line" Anyone who knows the Trumarc line, knows they are (were) ROCKET SHIPS and MARKING MACHINES.

Then came Casey's Master title....HUHH... Here is where my long drawn out point comes. Casey was "hot"!!! I would have to "burn" her (shock collar)in her crate before every run. When we were in the "holding blind" waiting to run, she would be going crazy. When the judges called her to the "line", she always beat me there. I would heal her, give her, her "line", tell her to SIT, SIT, SIT, then I would call for the test to start. The duck calls would start, Casey's azz would come up off the ground. First Bird would be shot, she would mark it and "creep" a bit, next mark would be shot, she would mark it and creep a bit more. Third mark would be marked and more creeping. At this time, she could be DQ'd . All this time, I can't talk to her, touch her, nothing... If the judges didn't call "dag" immediately after the 3rd mark, she would probably not be able to stand it anymore and "break," off she would go, kicking azz on the test, disqualified. I was mad and she was wondering why the heck we were heading back to the truck.

We never got her Master title, so I never bred her. She lived to be 14, Greatest pal ever. "HOT DOGS" are HELL to train. They are PERFECT in training but come the tests, Man it was tough.

I'm shopping for my third and last black lab, Millie The Mighty Dawg was second, same breeding, jeeeez. My next one will be like Angies......

SO be careful when buying high quality high strung blood. Be prepared to spend a TON of time training or spend a TON of money letting a pro do it but to me this takes the fun out of it cause the trainer keeps your dog for months, doggie cant go home with you and you "might" be able to go, hide behind a truck and watch YOUR dogs progress. Not my cup of tea.

Join a local club, LEARN as much as you can, these folks will help you. Just be prepared its time consuming and expensive, but OH IS IT WORTH IT??...HELL YES !!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5458255 12/04/14 11:11 PM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
That's a great story.

Except the might be able yo go see your dog part.

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: changedmyname] #5458373 12/05/14 12:27 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Great story Buzzsaw. Same thing holds true in the English Pointer world. Most folks can't handle a high strung trial dog. I like one with fire in it. You can take a little out but you sure can't put it in 'em.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5459899 12/05/14 08:07 PM
S
ShotGunWillie Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I will be having a really nice chocolate litter within the next six months. These pups will have crazy drive and retrieving desire, awesome looks, brains, and an off switch. You can PM me or email me for more information. This will be a three-peat breeding and the first two litters have been amazing.

Kamron
kamronhorn@yahoo.com

Re: Looking for a Duck Dog! [Re: Storemski89] #5459924 12/05/14 08:19 PM
R
Rock Solid Pointing Labs Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
I've got a litter coming in a month. http://www.rocksolidpointinglabs.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide