Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: crapicat] #5389931 10/31/14 01:46 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'd knock on hos door first. Or even better find his pickup parked at the Dairy Queen or local coffee shop. Wherever the old timers gather in the morning. Stand tall and tell him what he owes. Give him a chance to walk outsid with you. If he declines explain your side in front of God and everybody else.

If that doesn't generate payment warn that you will be going the legal route as described previously.

Check? Nope, cash only. I'll follow you to the bank.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: nogeese] #5389934 10/31/14 01:47 AM
C
crapicat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: nogeese
file a lien on the property...

File a M&M lien (material and mechanics)...it is a priority lien superior to a purchase money interest (1st lien) and verbal contracts can be filed on (you must be able to prove a contract existed) as I recall.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5390059 10/31/14 02:43 AM
C
Cleric Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
fog horn on opening day?

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5390065 10/31/14 02:47 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
You might also talk to the hunters and tell them what happened to you so as not to trust the guy. Who knows, it probably won't help your cause but may save them some grief. Karma has a way about these things!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5390079 10/31/14 02:55 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
If you have stands and feeders in place, go pick them up Saturday morning around 6am.

If the hunters now on the property ask you - tell them very nicely what happened. Tell them you'll be back next weekend to get the rest of your stuff.

If there's complaints, then maybe you can work something out with all properties to share the lease - after all, you're already set-up - and you've already "paid" for the lease. If nothing else, the new lessee's will know what kind of landowner they're dealing with.

If you don't have any feeders, stands, etc. Then just lick your wounds and get on with your life. Not worth the aggravation.

The reason I offer this approach is this. There is little chance you will sway the LO, you have no leverage. The LO, which I assume you've already talked to, could have easily told the new lessee's that the property would be shared - you already had one spot. Instead, he opted for the money. Therefore the money is the only leverage, and those new guys have the leverage. If THEY complain to the LO, he will listen because obviously the money is the important factor. By inserting yourself into their use, you get both them and the LO wanting a resolution.

But if you have no reason to return to the property, then you are - as you said - screwed.

Move on. Not worth the aggravation and cost.

Last edited by John Humbert; 10/31/14 03:04 AM.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: jetdad] #5390091 10/31/14 03:01 AM
4Weight Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: jetdad
Send him a bill based on the going rate for any work you performed on the property. Take pictures of anything that indicates work was done, like new fencing. If you have invoices for materials that you purchased make copies. Bill him for the work and materials. Give him a due date to pay on the invoice. If he doesn't pay you, go to the county clerks office, file an affidavit of nonpayment (you'll need a legal description). Get the legal description from the county appraisal district's office. This will create a mechanics lien. At some point he or his heirs will want it removed, once it becomes an issue for them. As stated, if you're inclined go the small claims court route. Either way you'll need to prove up the work was done and you were not compensated.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: tShawnB] #5390122 10/31/14 03:24 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: tShawnB
Originally Posted By: jshouse
thanks alot obama
LOL, I agree, when all else fails, blame the Kenyan.
rofl

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: J.G.] #5390132 10/31/14 03:30 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I'd knock on hos door first. Or even better find his pickup parked at the Dairy Queen or local coffee shop. Wherever the old timers gather in the morning. Stand tall and tell him what he owes. Give him a chance to walk outsid with you. If he declines explain your side in front of God and everybody else.

If that doesn't generate payment warn that you will be going the legal route as described previously.

Check? Nope, cash only. I'll follow you to the bank.
I have to say, shaming him in front of his 'homies' might just be the ticket.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5390136 10/31/14 03:33 AM
D
DEERSTRANGLER Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Sorry to hear that that guy did that to you. Hope you can gain some compensation out of the old farmer. One way or the other you need to make sure you're the last person he does this to.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5390145 10/31/14 03:36 AM
B
bp3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Can't get blood out of a turnip but you can kick turnips a**. banana

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5391907 11/01/14 09:42 AM
C
copperhead Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Maybe you should bill him for services rendered.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5391913 11/01/14 10:13 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Just like a lot of folks think all old folks are "sweet", some think all farmers are "salt of the earth/your word is your bond" kind of men. Like all human walks of life, there's some real SOBs. Not saying you were naïve at all, you just got conned by a deceitful old scum bucket.

Best wishes on eventually finding a good solid place to hunt. This guy will get his in the end.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5392049 11/01/14 01:10 PM
G
gunnut81 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
I've heard and experienced this exact same problem too many times and it's a big part of why I don't lease anymore. These days with the obama economy people are willing to do anything for a dollar and it's not the first time some city slickers have come along and probably offered some stupid amount of money and ended up screwing someone out of their place to hunt. Fortunately I don't have to lease and still get to hunt at least three places all in different counties but all within ten minutes of me at least for now one of those places is owned by the city people in the family and since all the old timers in the family have all passed away they are all going against their parents wishes and trying to sell (ungrateful morons) fortunately the listed very high and with a stupid realtor so it shouldn't ever sell. I do feel bad for you losing your place and it sucks having more city people in the woods screwing everything up for the real hunters.

Endowment Life member NRA
there are a few bad republicans but there are no good democrats
(Ann Coulter)
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5392181 11/01/14 02:50 PM
J
Javelin225ho Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
i'd definitely go get all my stuff. now, if he bought all the stuff and you did the labor, you may be outta luck. But, if that's the case, id definitely bill him for the hours you have in it. I'm sure you have pics of the work done and stuff built. its sad that a mans word is not good anymore.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: txshntr] #5392232 11/01/14 03:17 PM
B
Bowmaster Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Send him an invoice for the work performed and file for a theft of services. The value would be based on the going rate for the work performed or the amount that he leased the property for. Doubt you get much out of it, but you can push the issue if you want to receive monetary compensation for the work performed. Verbal agreements are considered binding in Texas, but dang hard to prove. Good luck!

As a side note welcome

X2

"The greatest gift God has given Me is the opportunity to live life again vicariously through the eyes of My children"
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: gunnut81] #5392239 11/01/14 03:19 PM
J
JDShellnut Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: gunnut81
I've heard and experienced this exact same problem too many times and it's a big part of why I don't lease anymore. These days with the obama economy people are willing to do anything for a dollar and it's not the first time some city slickers have come along and probably offered some stupid amount of money and ended up screwing someone out of their place to hunt. Fortunately I don't have to lease and still get to hunt at least three places all in different counties but all within ten minutes of me at least for now one of those places is owned by the city people in the family and since all the old timers in the family have all passed away they are all going against their parents wishes and trying to sell (ungrateful morons) fortunately the listed very high and with a stupid realtor so it shouldn't ever sell. I do feel bad for you losing your place and it sucks having more city people in the woods screwing everything up for the real hunters.

I don't like the man anymore than anybody else but that excuse is BS in Texas right now and those cattle the OP talked about working with are bringing more money than they ever have.

The landowner is a POS and the OP needs to pursue compensation if for nothing other than teaching the old man a lesson he apparently never learned.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Javelin225ho] #5392244 11/01/14 03:22 PM
M
moe cowbell Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
nidea
Sell tickets to the rodeo that will occur when you go back out there to yank them ear tags out and put those nuts back in them steers.
There's your monetary compensation!

You're welcome

[Linked Image]
Wisdom and Patience ...two very important virtues
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5392386 11/01/14 05:30 PM
B
Black Horse Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Last comment is most reasonable. Watch your six and learn an expensive lesson. No doubt it's not his first gruen in his old life. Let it go and move forward...you'll be the better man.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5392389 11/01/14 05:32 PM
B
Black Horse Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Oops, John Humberts entry.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Schpanky] #5392772 11/02/14 12:24 AM
C
Conchoman76 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted By: Schpanky
You had a verbal contract for services and verbal contracts are valid and enforceable...this is not a real estate transaction as ownership of the real estate was not a part of the contract consideration. You made an offer for services which he accepted...you performed your portion of the contract. You are entitled to consideration/compensation. Consideration is a legal concept that describes something of value given in exchange for a performance. Put simply, the landowner is in material breach of the contract and you are entitled to damages. I think you'd be well within your rights to submit a demand letter to him as you would most likely prevail if you opted for legal recourse. At a minimum, he at least needs to pay you for your work. Not sure how eager you are to pursue this matter, but I think you'd do much better than others have stated previously.

This!! ^^^

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: moe cowbell] #5392808 11/02/14 12:48 AM
D
davvy Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted By: moe cowbell
nidea
Sell tickets to the rodeo that will occur when you go back out there to yank them ear tags out and put those nuts back in them steers.

You're welcome
. flag up

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5393757 11/02/14 06:10 PM
BigBucky2014 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I have a service called Legal Shield. Costs me $20/month and covers me if I ever need legal advice or defense. I've only had it for a couple of months, but this sounds just like the kind of situation that I would call them on. They would write a letter to the farmer and threaten legal action if you weren't compensated and then if you wanted to pursue it, they'd help file all the paperwork. To me, it sounds like you have a solid case especially if you can document all the work you did. I would go back and write down what you did and the dates you did it on and the time you spent. He basically took your money and then gave the product you bought to someone else. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Unfortunately, you might have to hire a lawyer and it may not e worth more than a few thousand bucks. Good luck.

Last edited by BigBucky2014; 11/02/14 06:11 PM.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5393790 11/02/14 06:28 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: davvy
Originally Posted By: moe cowbell
nidea

You're welcome
. flag up

Now that's some funny crap!!

My wife just asked me what the heck I was laughing so hard at.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5393803 11/02/14 06:34 PM
U
USA Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
U
Turd never had the intention to let you hunt. You were used. You have done enough work to build a case. Don't let the turd just walk away. Evil happens when good people don't take a stand

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5394230 11/02/14 09:53 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
What's the old mans address?

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide