Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: cameron00] #5388611 10/30/14 02:43 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: txshntr
For those that say he should have had it in writing, I am curious how much you believe that would help and what additional recourse he would have. People get screwed every day with contracts written by legal professionals, and it would still be a battle and cost money IMO.

There's always wiggle room with contracts since resolution of dispute involves interpretation of what was meant, but it's certainly much better to have a contract than to try to go the "he said, she said" route.

but how much money are you going to end up spending trying to prove all this, written contract or not? i'm all for fighting for the "principal" of things but there is a point where it becomes fiscally irresponsible, especially when you never actually paid for anything anyway.

its a bad situation no doubt.

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388620 10/30/14 02:46 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
And when all else fails, punch him in the throat!

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: jshouse] #5388622 10/30/14 02:46 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: jshouse
For those that say he should have had it in writing, I am curious how much you believe that would help and what additional recourse he would have. People get screwed every day with contracts written by legal professionals, and it would still be a battle and cost money IMO.

There's always wiggle room with contracts since resolution of dispute involves interpretation of what was meant, but it's certainly much better to have a contract than to try to go the "he said, she said" route.

but how much money are you going to end up spending trying to prove all this, written contract or not? i'm all for fighting for the "principal" of things but there is a point where it becomes fiscally irresponsible, especially when you never actually paid for anything anyway.

Agreed....it boils down to what its worth to you

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: tShawnB] #5388624 10/30/14 02:47 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: tShawnB

rofl ... or in the nut balls...

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388627 10/30/14 02:47 PM
janie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That is downright crappy. You busted your tail helping him out and now, no hunting.

Go knock on his door and submit an invoice with a dollar amount, for all the labor you put into his place.

If he refuses.

That's when I'd get even. I'd rip the sonofabuck's fence down and leave a flaming bag of poo on his porch.

He is your friend defender your dog. Be worthy of such devotion

[Linked Image]
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: jshouse] #5388630 10/30/14 02:49 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: jshouse

This is always a big problem. He's fighting for something worth a few thousand. Legal fees might very well be a few thousand. You can sue for the money plus legal fees, but with nothing in writing, there's a huge chance he loses and is now also out legal.

I work in a capacity where we're always suing, being sued, foreclosing, trying to enforce performance under contracts, etc.

It's never clean.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388637 10/30/14 02:52 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
thanks alot obama

If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388660 10/30/14 02:59 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Make him pay you for the work and take your blinds/feeders off the land.

What a jerk move.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Schpanky] #5388668 10/30/14 03:03 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
As said above oral agreements of labor or services performed are legal in Texas but can be very time consuming and expensive to collect on. It's possible if explained to him in person in a nice way about paying you for your services or following through on hunting privileges he could have a change of heart. If not then lesson learned and welcome to THF.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: cameron00] #5388697 10/30/14 03:13 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms

I agree. Just in my experience, a contract can be just as costly to collect on as a verbal agreement...you just stand a better chance of winning

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: janie] #5388700 10/30/14 03:14 PM
txshntr Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Online Content
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: janie
That is downright crappy. You busted your tail helping him out and now, no hunting.

Go knock on his door and submit an invoice with a dollar amount, for all the labor you put into his place.

If he refuses.

That's when I'd get even. I'd rip the sonofabuck's fence down and leave a flaming bag of poo on his porch.

clap For the win!!!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388725 10/30/14 03:24 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
To file in small claims court is inexpensive, probably less than $50.00, I think you can sue up to statutory maximum of $5,000. It will be a pain in the arse for him. You have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388743 10/30/14 03:31 PM
G
Grosvenor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
If you really did all that work and didn't get paid, send him an invoice. If that doesn't work, hire a lawyer to send him a demand letter. If he digs in, consider your bluff called and walk away, lesson learned.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: tShawnB] #5388770 10/30/14 03:42 PM
C
Captain Luke Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: tShawnB

In my neck of the woods (south Texas), we would say, "F*#k him up and give him a putaso!"

If you want some friendly advice, get a haircut and take a bath. You wouldn't get hassled so much.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388772 10/30/14 03:42 PM
T
TXMachinist Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I would sit down with the landowner and discuss it with him. Tell him, if he doesn't follow thru with your agreement you will take him to court and he will have to pay for your services. See if he bites.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388807 10/30/14 03:57 PM
N
nogeese Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
N
file a lien on the property...

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Erathkid] #5388827 10/30/14 04:06 PM
R
Railhead Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
To file in small claims court is inexpensive, probably less than $50.00, I think you can sue up to statutory maximum of $5,000. It will be a pain in the arse for him. You have nothing to lose, everything to gain.

I would think this would be the best coarse to take. After he refuses to pay from the invoice you should submit to him.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388875 10/30/14 04:26 PM
J
JHeflinland Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
J
I think the invoice idea would be a start.. Get a couple of written bids for the fence work that you have done from reputable contractors that do similar work in the area, and base your invoice off of those bids. Use a middle ground, to prove your asking price is reasonable. The cow works would simply be those of a day worker, maybe $125/day. Include a letter that states you would be willing to trade hunting rights for the season as previously agreed for consideration. Send via certified mail, so you get a signature back that he received it.

If you still can't work out an agreement, have an attorney send him a letter. If you still don't have any luck, file in small claims court, and keep those bids around, along with copies of everything you have sent him to present if you end up going to court. I wouldn't worry about getting an attorney to go to court with you. It could end up costing too much in the long run. It is just a process that you have to go through. Tell both sides of the story, and let the judge make a decision.

I know you just want to hunt, but maybe you could get some money out of the deal to pay for a hunt.

If ducks had horns I'd probably be a duck hunter.
I am a horrible deer hunter. Probably the worst. Ever.
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Grosvenor] #5388879 10/30/14 04:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
If you really did all that work and didn't get paid, send him an invoice. If that doesn't work, hire a lawyer to send him a demand letter. If he digs in, consider your bluff called and walk away, lesson learned.

This, and I also like the small-claims court and lien options.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388905 10/30/14 04:38 PM
B
Bill_OA Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I'd try and contact the group that leased the place out of Dallas. If they have any sort of integrity they will see the landowner's move for what it is. I know if I were a leaser I wouldn't want to throw in with a landowner who would behave that way. May be able to get them to pull the deal out from under the LO. May not get you a chance to hunt, but it would hold him accountable for what he has done to you. Can try and get their contact info from the LO by telling him you want to try and buy into the lease with them.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388906 10/30/14 04:38 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: davvy
As far as a lawsuit goes its doubtful that I can win

Follow these instructions and file a lawsuit on your own in Justice Court, formerly known as small claims. You can sue up to like $10,000. Go tell the judge your story and the other guy will tell his under oath.

Otherwise you will just be whining about it on here, the THF with no resolution.

Texas Justice Court

http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?...;ContentID=8755

http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?...ContentID=24859

You may not get anything if you win but you will get a judgement. If you pursue that judgement and keep it active it will create all kinds of headaches for him or his estate some day.

To be determined
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388931 10/30/14 04:50 PM
R
RangerRick Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
verbal contracts are enforceable in Texas if you can prove the necessary terms of the agreement. If you acted in accordance with the contract, there are correspondence referring to the agreement or other items indicating an agreement exists, it can be valid in Texas.

The way things should be are not often the way things are.....
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: JHeflinland] #5388954 10/30/14 05:01 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
The cow works would simply be those of a day worker, maybe $125/day. Include a letter that states you would be willing to trade hunting rights for the season as previously agreed for consideration. Send via certified mail, so you get a signature back that he received it.

We have payed $20 per hour for day workers working cattle for several years now and covered them with workers comp.

Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: Bill_OA] #5388963 10/30/14 05:07 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: WCallaway
I'd try and contact the group that leased the place out of Dallas. If they have any sort of integrity they will see the landowner's move for what it is. I know if I were a leaser I wouldn't want to throw in with a landowner who would behave that way. May be able to get them to pull the deal out from under the LO. May not get you a chance to hunt, but it would hold him accountable for what he has done to you. Can try and get their contact info from the LO by telling him you want to try and buy into the lease with them.

Im sorry but that is comical. I doubt a single deer leaser would back out of their new lease they have already put money into because the landlord was a shister to someone in the past.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Just got screwed ... [Re: davvy] #5388991 10/30/14 05:19 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Has he done this before? Will he do it again? What’s to stop this lying crook from doing it to some other guy? I’d like to see the landowner’s name attached to all of this. I do not doubt the veracity of the OP’s accounts but what good does it do anyone else if this clown makes verbal deals with other men and then screws them? If it’s true it is neither libelous nor slanderous.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide