Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,369
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359360 10/14/14 02:43 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: rifleman
I'd have a hard time compensating them, that's what insurance should be for.

Yeah I didn't really get that either. Didn't know it was government's job to insure deer farms for their losses-especially when they cause a bunch of other problems for the taxpayers to deal with.

IMO, it should be on the owner, they took and should understand the risk??

NP, did the article give any reference sources?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5359376 10/14/14 02:48 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: Western

The way I read just what is posted (in Red), they had proof 2012 deer in one Operation tested positive, deer moved to other operation, apparently infected that herd? At least that's how I read it.

"The deer in one operation tested postive". But did the deer that they moved to the preserve already have CWD? Did the herd at the preserve that the "deer" moved to infect the deer that just moved in? confused2 Lot of assuming on everyone's part.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359405 10/14/14 02:55 PM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
The article I found is very short and vague. Hard to make many determinations from such little information.
There is obviously more to the story than three little paragraphs. Maybe there is another link.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fiel...nfirmed-in-iowa

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: stxranchman] #5359408 10/14/14 02:55 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

The way I read just what is posted (in Red), they had proof 2012 deer in one Operation tested positive, deer moved to other operation, apparently infected that herd? At least that's how I read it.

"The deer in one operation tested postive". But did the deer that they moved to the preserve already have CWD? Did the herd at the preserve that the "deer" moved to infect the deer that just moved in? confused2 Lot of assuming on everyone's part.

I wondered that as well, if they know the origin, you'd think they'd "throw" that in there...Heck, they may not know? If it came from another farm as a stocker/breeder, it would still be from HF deer wouldn't it? Plus, all they say is "1st confirmed case"

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5359413 10/14/14 02:59 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I wondered that as well, if they know the origin, you'd think they'd "throw" that in there...Heck, they may not know? If it came from another farm as a stocker/breeder, it would still be from HF deer wouldn't it? Plus, all they say is "1st confirmed case"

Did the preserve get deer from other deer farms? Have wild deer been found with CWD around this preserve or other deer farms that they got deer from(if they did)?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359568 10/14/14 03:49 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Isn't Field & Stream notoriously anti-HF, just as the OP?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: 8pointdrop] #5359579 10/14/14 03:54 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
10 pages. Minimum.

10? You're being very conservative.
If we can spin this into a spike, AR, and black panther thread it would have all it needs to make it to 25 easy.

There's one more factor to consider.

hanged

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: kdkane1971] #5359646 10/14/14 04:22 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

I don't know. I do know F&S, Outdoor Life, Peterson's Hunting, and several other publications have become more and more vocal in their opposition to HF operations. Main reasons cited are 1) increased negative perception among non-hunting public, 2) disease transmission, and 3) the "shortcut/all about the trophy" mentality that cheapens hunting.

So, yes, they may have an "agenda"- but IMO it is the correct one. And they have it despite the risk of alienating some HF "hunters". Which is admirable to me.

Gotta remember that not everyone is from TX, where HF is basically a way of life these days.

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 10/14/14 04:25 PM.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5359722 10/14/14 05:01 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Yep, they sue and get compensation too. All the while increasing the risk with the delay. Don't really see that as another "side"-just more information.

Guess what? Do away with the deer farms and all your enforcement/lawsuit/compensation issues go away.

have watched many a shows, peoples eyes poppen out giving up deer farms. years back was an artical in Field & Stream if remember right. deer farmer up north, had one of its big rack deer come up missing. twas traced back ta here in texas whin hunter killed a big rack deer. am not putting down HF ranchers. do remember a thread on THF started out with photo of deer, & stating ya won't find deer like these on LF. Moderators finally shut it down. people bullening a young hunter who posted his deer taken off LF. popcorn ever thought that might be big source of income for that farmer. I know what that's like rofl so how's your hunten looking, U have any luck, cool weather setten in, so be the aches & pains seeing several deer, fewer hogs, missed out on archery, aches & pains. good topic, what should people look for in your expertes experiance flag

i'm postaddic
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5359960 10/14/14 07:08 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
10 pages. Minimum.

That's less than I would figure. But if it is a confirmed case, I think it should be some good discussion. I have read on here by "fellas in the know" that no case of CWD has been confirmed in a HF operation, that is if I recall correctly. I may have missed the context though, these threads tend to get heated, then logic and comprise seems to go out the window grin .

Just in case you're referring to me, let me help you get it straight. I said "no deer in a HF breeder's operation here in Texas has tested positive for CWD".

In fact, only two deer have ever tested positive in Texas and they were free range mulies about a rocks throw from New Mexico.

In a later post you implied also that "migrating might be good as it might help 'cleanse' the soil of the disease". To help you get it right, I'll point out that if the "experts" are right, the prions (the semi-dormant disease vectors) can live a very long time in the soil.

Here's support for my point about never being found in Texas. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/re...1&nrsearch=

If I'm not who you were referring to then please ignore the first part of this post.

Last edited by therancher; 10/14/14 07:09 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360074 10/14/14 08:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Rancher, If I could recall you said it, I would have put your name in there. As far as migrating portion, I suggested that as a possible +/-. Migrating animals may leave spore on the surface, which would make them more vulnerable to sunlight and other agents that may kill the prion.

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Western] #5360213 10/14/14 09:40 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Regardless, high fences are here to stay. No matter how many pages this thread drags on.

grin

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: therancher] #5360321 10/14/14 10:33 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: therancher
Regardless, high fences are here to stay. No matter how many pages this thread drags on.

grin

Personally, I could care less, to each his own. Some day both sides points will likely come to fruition, then some can say "I told ya, ya hard headed DA" roflmao Until then, it will go on as it does now (until the balance changes one way or the other.

Dennis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: therancher] #5360380 10/14/14 11:21 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

I don't know. I do know F&S, Outdoor Life, Peterson's Hunting, and several other publications have become more and more vocal in their opposition to HF operations. Main reasons cited are 1) increased negative perception among non-hunting public, 2) disease transmission, and 3) the "shortcut/all about the trophy" mentality that cheapens hunting.

So, yes, they may have an "agenda"- but IMO it is the correct one. And they have it despite the risk of alienating some HF "hunters". Which is admirable to me.

Gotta remember that not everyone is from TX, where HF is basically a way of life these days.

Originally Posted By: therancher

grin

I wouldn't get your hopes up NP. I agree with therancher, high fences are here to stay. And although I haven't hunted many, I'm happy that they are. You should have the right to build whatever fence you like on your property. Period.

If it's ever proven that deer farming is a threat to our native wildlife resources because of the spread of CWD, you could see laws put in place against it. But it would be an easy case for a lawyer to defeat before it became law because of NO credible evidence that proves it does. Way too much gray. And gray is what makes attorneys a good living. I know you would like to make it black and white, but it's not, that's just the facts.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360417 10/14/14 11:43 PM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Not getting hopes up or down either way.

But not much gray about this deal.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360454 10/15/14 12:03 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Not getting hopes up or down either way.

But not much gray about this deal.

Ton of grey actually. More deer have died via over reaction of state governments in states then actually CWD death loss.

1000's more deer die to EHD every year then CWD. That even includes the states where the thought of original origin is... Image that more deer and elk die of EHD then CWD then where it was first discovered.

Hell anthrax in west Texas has killed 1000's more deer in west tx then CWD in a our five state area.

Find another anti high fence clutch

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360525 10/15/14 12:27 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.
Deer farms intensify and transmit CWD.

No gray.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360547 10/15/14 12:35 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
How many deer have known to have died from CWD again in the wild or in pens?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360560 10/15/14 12:40 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Better yet go to Colorado and find me an area where CWD has wiped out the herds.
It's been there in the wild for over 60 plus years, hell some scientists say since 1800's.

Again EHD kills more animals then CWD.

CWD is a anti high fence clutch. Period.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360729 10/15/14 02:03 AM
B
BushFamilyNine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
In 2004, there were an estimated 600,000 deer in the state of Iowa. They estimated about 350,000 last fall.
The odds of hitting a deer with an automobile in the state of Iowa is 1 in 73.
There were just under 30,000 reported deer collisions in the state last year, and more than that expected this year. The state now puts a high fence along the interstates and four lane highways when they are being built.

Just reflect upon ten percent of the deer population directly or indirectly dying from collisions on roads. Doesn't make EHD and CWD losses look so bad.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5360819 10/15/14 02:44 AM
N
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Better yet go to Colorado and find me an area where CWD has wiped out the herds.
It's been there in the wild for over 60 plus years, hell some scientists say since 1800's.

No, it's not. CWD is a disease of major concern. Period.
Hell, in Wisconsin they killed thousands of free-range deer as the result of CWD concern-at the direction of Dr. Kroll I believe. Didn't have anything to do with HF. Everyone is serious about CWD-wherever and whenever found.

Y'all are down to changing the subject and just saying stuff now.....

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360837 10/15/14 02:52 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Hell, in Wisconsin they killed thousands of free-range deer as the result of CWD concern-at the direction of Dr. Kroll I believe. Didn't have anything to do with HF. Everyone is serious about CWD-wherever and whenever found.

It was not under James Kroll. He is there trying to straighten out the mess the left killing all those deer for no reason. It did nothing but kill a bunch of deer for no reason other than fear that it would spread rampantly and kill off all the deer in the state. How many wild deer have actually died from CWD? People are serious about these days but not running around claiming the sky is falling either.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360859 10/15/14 03:04 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Lol, first they killed more deer then CWD would of dreamed off, see my previous post earlier about state governments over reacting!!!!

Second kroll was up there screaming foul and that they are idiots for wiping out 2/3 of their herd!!!

Third again for the last time CWD was first discovered in CO. Some refer to that state as ground zero!!! Even in the select CWD areas it has had minimal impact on deer and elk numbers......that's over 60 years worth of real data!!!!

Fourth EHD kills more deer then CWD, cars kill more deer the CWD. The only Large CWD loss was a state government freaking out and doing a cleansing of every deer they shall.

You keep ignoring my CO comments for a reason..... Because their data blasts and poked holes in every non factual thing you have posted.

Your kroll comment was a very serious fumble. Keep googling

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: stxranchman] #5360878 10/15/14 03:15 AM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Kroll had nothing to do with the ignorant power mad Wisconsin dnr killing all those healthy deer.

Ehd and anthrax kill up to 80-90% of the deer in a given area. And there is no campaign to prevent contain either of those diseases.

Those diseases were known about long before there were fences of any kind. The difference is that CWD has just been discovered within the last several decades. It's probably been around as long as the others, but since it's discovery coincided with the development of the captive deer farm industry, people with a bias against high fences have made fools of themselves trying to blame CWD on deer farming.

It's actually quite entertaining to watch, and it will never result in the destruction of the high fence industry.

Yes, I'm sick that way. Watching people go batchit crazy over things they purposely misinterpret and can't change.. entertains me.

Last edited by therancher; 10/15/14 03:20 AM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5360961 10/15/14 04:23 AM
L
Lonnie Paul Walker Jr. Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Prairie, slow down an take a deep breath. The information they are telling you is straight and true. You can argue as long as you want, their facts are clear.

Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

"Lonnie Walker Outdoors"
Outfitter / Professional Guide
Wildlife Consultant
817-598-5338

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide