Texas Hunting Forum

284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:24 AM

Which was 80% of its total herd. At least 5 cases of CWD of deer taken by hunters outside the confines of the deer farm have been traced to the farm, which sold animals to HF "preserves" and other ranches for hunting. As there are almost certainly more, Iowa officials have responded with greatly increased CWD surveillance, fearing an even more widespread CWD outbreak/crisis. The farm's herd was destroyed and its owners have agreed to keep up the 8 foot fence surrounding the property for at least five years.

-Field and Stream report just released

Thanks a lot HF deer farming.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:39 AM

Not taking sides but every story has 2 of them.

Cliff notes:
Disease found on farm 2 years ago, government would NOT allow depopulation of herd until now.

Owners sues for compensation and will receive near 1 million.

Public upset government allowed disease to fester that long.

The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.

The litigation prevented the farm from being depopulated of deer until August this year. Test results over the last month showed 80% of the deer herd was CWD-positive.

The deer farm owners will receive $917,100 in compensation from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, according to Iowa officials. The money is from federal tax dollars and listed under federal indemnity funding.

The Iowa case has heightened frustrations among hunters and others regarding the inability of state and federal officials to clamp down on the disease.

"Delays due to litigation and lack of federal tax dollars to buy out this diseased herd placed the wild deer that belong to the people of the State of Iowa at great risk," said David Clausen of Amery, a veterinarian, hunter and former chairman of the Wisconsin Natural Resources Board.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:47 AM

And how did this HF deer herd get CWD to start?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:50 AM

Yep, they sue and get compensation too. All the while increasing the risk with the delay. Don't really see that as another "side"-just more information.

Guess what? Do away with the deer farms and all your enforcement/lawsuit/compensation issues go away.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Who knows how it started? The point is not how it started but 1)artificially high deer concentrations cause more animals to be infected and 2)shipping infected deer to other places causes it to spread. Neither of which happen under natural conditions.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Who knows how it started? The point is not how it started but 1)artificially high deer concentrations cause more animals to be infected and 2)shipping infected deer to other places causes it to spread. Neither of which happen under natural conditions.

The deer do not "yard" up north in the winter months? It would be very important if this deer farms herd were infected by the deer outside his herd.
I'll take this as a one sided article against deer farms. Same as your stance on them.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 11:07 AM

The deer do not "yard" up north in the winter months? It would be very important if this deer farms herd were infected by the deer outside his herd.
I'll take this as a one sided article against deer farms. Same as your stance on them.

Take it as you wish of course. But these are facts. These facts show deer farming aids in both the # of deer infected and widespread transmission of CWD.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 11:13 AM

Yep, they sue and get compensation too. All the while increasing the risk with the delay. Don't really see that as another "side"-just more information.

Guess what? Do away with the deer farms and all your enforcement/lawsuit/compensation issues go away.

How is that not another side? Do some research on the story. State officials admitted the state didn't have the money in 2012 to deal with the problem, so they quarantined the farm until now.

Several groups of the public, from hunters to vets and ranchers, are outraged about how long it took to combat the problem.

Again I won't take sides here. I know you like HF debates but anyone can see keeping diseased animals in close quarters from 2 yrs is ridiculous.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 12:10 PM

I'd have a hard time compensating them, that's what insurance should be for.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 12:35 PM

Take it as you wish of course. But these are facts. These facts show deer farming aids in both the # of deer infected and widespread transmission of CWD.

Your original post is highly slanted. An outside deer could of infected the herd. The majority of the herd became infected after no culling or killing was allowed for two years. I wonder what the original herd number was pre concentration camp?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 12:55 PM

An outside deer may have. More likely, another farm deer did-just like those from that farm infected deer at other farms. As was proven.

None of which changes facts #1 and #2 above.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Yeah I didn't really get that either. Didn't know it was government's job to insure deer farms for their losses-especially when they cause a bunch of other problems for the taxpayers to deal with.
Posted By: Western

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:21 PM

According to 8points "cliff notes"

""The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.""

Sounds like it was at one point contained in HF's preserves(something I believe was said on here has never happened) and at some point, it got to the wild population.

You can bet your hat, that this will cause the Government to re-write some laws, to prevent litigation from allowing this again. I think the fed should sue the preserve for damaging a natural resource, if in fact they can prove those deer infected deer outside of the fence.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:26 PM

10 pages. Minimum.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:29 PM

Yeah I didn't really get that either. Didn't know it was government's job to insure deer farms for their losses-especially when they cause a bunch of other problems for the taxpayers to deal with.

More then likely it was tieing the hands of the owner from being able to cull, thus causing greater percentage of the herd lost.

Ironically EHD has caused more deaths in that region then CWD has by a factor of 100 if not more.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
10 pages. Minimum.

10? You're being very conservative.
If we can spin this into a spike, AR, and black panther thread it would have all it needs to make it to 25 easy.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:31 PM

10 pages. Minimum.

That's less than I would figure. But if it is a confirmed case, I think it should be some good discussion. I have read on here by "fellas in the know" that no case of CWD has been confirmed in a HF operation, that is if I recall correctly. I may have missed the context though, these threads tend to get heated, then logic and comprise seems to go out the window grin .

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
10 pages. Minimum.

That's less than I would figure. But if it is a confirmed case, I think it should be some good discussion. I have read on here by "fellas in the know" that no case of CWD has been confirmed in a HF operation, that is if I recall correctly. I may have missed the context though, these threads tend to get heated, then logic and comprise seems to go out the window grin .

It makes you wonder how NM and CO have any deer or elk since they have had "know" CWD in the wild for over 30 years

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:48 PM

""The first case of CWD in Iowa was found in 2012 on a hunting preserve in the southeastern part of the state. In that case, it was determined the CWD-positive mature buck had been transferred to the hunting preserve from the deer farm in north-central Iowa.

Subsequent testing found CWD at the deer farm. The farm was placed under quarantine, but the owners sued for compensation.""

Sounds like it was at one point contained in HF's preserves(something I believe was said on here has never happened) and at some point, it got to the wild population.

You can bet your hat, that this will cause the Government to re-write some laws, to prevent litigation from allowing this again. I think the fed should sue the preserve for damaging a natural resource, if in fact they can prove those deer infected deer outside of the fence.

Yep. A big point has always been no one has proven CWD transmission from deer farms. This blows that out of the water. Many of the responses are a bunch of speculation. Yet, I am accused of being "one sided". Go figure.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 01:54 PM

BOBO, I honestly haven't kept up with CWD in NM much, very little about CO., since I moved back to Texas. I do know that CWD has spread in Co, which doesn't really surprise me since they tend to migrate. Migration may also be a good thing as well. May give the range time to cleanse itself to a degree? Since Whitetail don't tend to migrate so.......

My landlord there had penned Elk, his daughter had a HF ranch outside Montrose and he kept a few bulls for her, iirc, they had to keep stringent records since Co DOW is so anal about CWD and HF operations.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:16 PM

Have not read the article, but my take is they are reporting the facts as they want to you the reader to view them. They want them read from their stance on deer farming. So the facts may not be the true facts as to what happened.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:17 PM

Point is wildlife numbers are at historic highs(excluding areas of Canadian wolf introduction)

CWD has been in CO for decades and possibly centuries in the wild and hasn't wiped out or had a significant impact on herd numbers.

EHD is much more effctive in mass deaths, but yet some cling to CWD as the apocalypse of our deer herds. Those that do are also ones championing against HF.... Yet they exclude the EHD death numbers and don't talk about it? Wonder why? Oh because EHD Rarely effects Breeders do to clean water sources and water treatment.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:29 PM

Yep. A big point has always been no one has proven CWD transmission from deer farms. This blows that out of the water. Many of the responses are a bunch of speculation. Yet, I am accused of being "one sided". Go figure.

Can they prove that the deer moved had CWD before it was transferred or that it got CWD after the move? popcorn Again, can they prove that the preserve deer did not get it from wild deer? confused2

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:32 PM

"" Have not read the article, but my take is they are reporting the facts as they want to you the reader to view them. They want them read from their stance on deer farming. So the facts may not be the true facts as to what happened. STX""

STX That may be possible, I am not familiar with that magazines POV, I do know that if this did go to litigation, then the facts should readily available to the public and the writer of that article. If they did stray far from the "facts", they would likely have left themselves open to liable and they "generally", not always, try to avoid that.

It would be interesting to see a more formal article on that case. The "facts" will always appear slanted, depending on what side of the argument you fall on I suppose.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:38 PM

""Can they prove that the deer moved had CWD before it was transferred or that it got CWD after the move? popcorn Again, can they prove that the preserve deer did not get it from wild deer STX?"" confused2

The way I read just what is posted (in Red), they had proof 2012 deer in one Operation tested positive, deer moved to other operation, apparently infected that herd? At least that's how I read it.

There could have been infected deer at the 1st facility (outside the fence). Allot of speculation based on one article in a magazine, a legal write up or state biological write up would be interesting to see. One article can be a bit ambiguous.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:43 PM

IMO, it should be on the owner, they took and should understand the risk??

NP, did the article give any reference sources?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:48 PM

The way I read just what is posted (in Red), they had proof 2012 deer in one Operation tested positive, deer moved to other operation, apparently infected that herd? At least that's how I read it.

"The deer in one operation tested postive". But did the deer that they moved to the preserve already have CWD? Did the herd at the preserve that the "deer" moved to infect the deer that just moved in? confused2 Lot of assuming on everyone's part.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:55 PM

The article I found is very short and vague. Hard to make many determinations from such little information.
There is obviously more to the story than three little paragraphs. Maybe there is another link.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/fiel...nfirmed-in-iowa

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:55 PM

"The deer in one operation tested postive". But did the deer that they moved to the preserve already have CWD? Did the herd at the preserve that the "deer" moved to infect the deer that just moved in? confused2 Lot of assuming on everyone's part.

I wondered that as well, if they know the origin, you'd think they'd "throw" that in there...Heck, they may not know? If it came from another farm as a stocker/breeder, it would still be from HF deer wouldn't it? Plus, all they say is "1st confirmed case"

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 02:59 PM

I wondered that as well, if they know the origin, you'd think they'd "throw" that in there...Heck, they may not know? If it came from another farm as a stocker/breeder, it would still be from HF deer wouldn't it? Plus, all they say is "1st confirmed case"

Did the preserve get deer from other deer farms? Have wild deer been found with CWD around this preserve or other deer farms that they got deer from(if they did)?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 03:49 PM

Isn't Field & Stream notoriously anti-HF, just as the OP?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
10 pages. Minimum.

10? You're being very conservative.
If we can spin this into a spike, AR, and black panther thread it would have all it needs to make it to 25 easy.

There's one more factor to consider.

hanged

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

I don't know. I do know F&S, Outdoor Life, Peterson's Hunting, and several other publications have become more and more vocal in their opposition to HF operations. Main reasons cited are 1) increased negative perception among non-hunting public, 2) disease transmission, and 3) the "shortcut/all about the trophy" mentality that cheapens hunting.

So, yes, they may have an "agenda"- but IMO it is the correct one. And they have it despite the risk of alienating some HF "hunters". Which is admirable to me.

Gotta remember that not everyone is from TX, where HF is basically a way of life these days.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 05:01 PM

have watched many a shows, peoples eyes poppen out giving up deer farms. years back was an artical in Field & Stream if remember right. deer farmer up north, had one of its big rack deer come up missing. twas traced back ta here in texas whin hunter killed a big rack deer. am not putting down HF ranchers. do remember a thread on THF started out with photo of deer, & stating ya won't find deer like these on LF. Moderators finally shut it down. people bullening a young hunter who posted his deer taken off LF. popcorn ever thought that might be big source of income for that farmer. I know what that's like rofl so how's your hunten looking, U have any luck, cool weather setten in, so be the aches & pains seeing several deer, fewer hogs, missed out on archery, aches & pains. good topic, what should people look for in your expertes experiance flag
Posted By: therancher

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 07:08 PM

10 pages. Minimum.

Just in case you're referring to me, let me help you get it straight. I said "no deer in a HF breeder's operation here in Texas has tested positive for CWD".

In fact, only two deer have ever tested positive in Texas and they were free range mulies about a rocks throw from New Mexico.

In a later post you implied also that "migrating might be good as it might help 'cleanse' the soil of the disease". To help you get it right, I'll point out that if the "experts" are right, the prions (the semi-dormant disease vectors) can live a very long time in the soil.

Here's support for my point about never being found in Texas. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/re...1&nrsearch=

If I'm not who you were referring to then please ignore the first part of this post.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 08:18 PM

Rancher, If I could recall you said it, I would have put your name in there. As far as migrating portion, I suggested that as a possible +/-. Migrating animals may leave spore on the surface, which would make them more vulnerable to sunlight and other agents that may kill the prion.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 09:40 PM

Regardless, high fences are here to stay. No matter how many pages this thread drags on.

grin

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
Regardless, high fences are here to stay. No matter how many pages this thread drags on.

grin

Personally, I could care less, to each his own. Some day both sides points will likely come to fruition, then some can say "I told ya, ya hard headed DA" roflmao Until then, it will go on as it does now (until the balance changes one way or the other.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 11:21 PM

I don't know. I do know F&S, Outdoor Life, Peterson's Hunting, and several other publications have become more and more vocal in their opposition to HF operations. Main reasons cited are 1) increased negative perception among non-hunting public, 2) disease transmission, and 3) the "shortcut/all about the trophy" mentality that cheapens hunting.

So, yes, they may have an "agenda"- but IMO it is the correct one. And they have it despite the risk of alienating some HF "hunters". Which is admirable to me.

Gotta remember that not everyone is from TX, where HF is basically a way of life these days.

grin

I wouldn't get your hopes up NP. I agree with therancher, high fences are here to stay. And although I haven't hunted many, I'm happy that they are. You should have the right to build whatever fence you like on your property. Period.

If it's ever proven that deer farming is a threat to our native wildlife resources because of the spread of CWD, you could see laws put in place against it. But it would be an easy case for a lawyer to defeat before it became law because of NO credible evidence that proves it does. Way too much gray. And gray is what makes attorneys a good living. I know you would like to make it black and white, but it's not, that's just the facts.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/14/14 11:43 PM

Not getting hopes up or down either way.

But not much gray about this deal.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 12:03 AM

Not getting hopes up or down either way.

But not much gray about this deal.

Ton of grey actually. More deer have died via over reaction of state governments in states then actually CWD death loss.

1000's more deer die to EHD every year then CWD. That even includes the states where the thought of original origin is... Image that more deer and elk die of EHD then CWD then where it was first discovered.

Hell anthrax in west Texas has killed 1000's more deer in west tx then CWD in a our five state area.

Find another anti high fence clutch

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 12:27 AM

Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.
Deer farms intensify and transmit CWD.

No gray.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 12:35 AM

How many deer have known to have died from CWD again in the wild or in pens?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 12:40 AM

Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Better yet go to Colorado and find me an area where CWD has wiped out the herds.
It's been there in the wild for over 60 plus years, hell some scientists say since 1800's.

Again EHD kills more animals then CWD.

CWD is a anti high fence clutch. Period.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:03 AM

In 2004, there were an estimated 600,000 deer in the state of Iowa. They estimated about 350,000 last fall.
The odds of hitting a deer with an automobile in the state of Iowa is 1 in 73.
There were just under 30,000 reported deer collisions in the state last year, and more than that expected this year. The state now puts a high fence along the interstates and four lane highways when they are being built.

Just reflect upon ten percent of the deer population directly or indirectly dying from collisions on roads. Doesn't make EHD and CWD losses look so bad.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Better yet go to Colorado and find me an area where CWD has wiped out the herds.
It's been there in the wild for over 60 plus years, hell some scientists say since 1800's.

No, it's not. CWD is a disease of major concern. Period.
Hell, in Wisconsin they killed thousands of free-range deer as the result of CWD concern-at the direction of Dr. Kroll I believe. Didn't have anything to do with HF. Everyone is serious about CWD-wherever and whenever found.

Y'all are down to changing the subject and just saying stuff now.....

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:52 AM

Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Hell, in Wisconsin they killed thousands of free-range deer as the result of CWD concern-at the direction of Dr. Kroll I believe. Didn't have anything to do with HF. Everyone is serious about CWD-wherever and whenever found.

It was not under James Kroll. He is there trying to straighten out the mess the left killing all those deer for no reason. It did nothing but kill a bunch of deer for no reason other than fear that it would spread rampantly and kill off all the deer in the state. How many wild deer have actually died from CWD? People are serious about these days but not running around claiming the sky is falling either.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 03:04 AM

Google "red herring".

CWD is bad.
No one wants CWD.

No gray.

CWD is the red herring .

Lol, first they killed more deer then CWD would of dreamed off, see my previous post earlier about state governments over reacting!!!!

Second kroll was up there screaming foul and that they are idiots for wiping out 2/3 of their herd!!!

Third again for the last time CWD was first discovered in CO. Some refer to that state as ground zero!!! Even in the select CWD areas it has had minimal impact on deer and elk numbers......that's over 60 years worth of real data!!!!

Fourth EHD kills more deer then CWD, cars kill more deer the CWD. The only Large CWD loss was a state government freaking out and doing a cleansing of every deer they shall.

You keep ignoring my CO comments for a reason..... Because their data blasts and poked holes in every non factual thing you have posted.

Your kroll comment was a very serious fumble. Keep googling

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 03:15 AM

Kroll had nothing to do with the ignorant power mad Wisconsin dnr killing all those healthy deer.

Ehd and anthrax kill up to 80-90% of the deer in a given area. And there is no campaign to prevent contain either of those diseases.

Those diseases were known about long before there were fences of any kind. The difference is that CWD has just been discovered within the last several decades. It's probably been around as long as the others, but since it's discovery coincided with the development of the captive deer farm industry, people with a bias against high fences have made fools of themselves trying to blame CWD on deer farming.

It's actually quite entertaining to watch, and it will never result in the destruction of the high fence industry.

Yes, I'm sick that way. Watching people go batchit crazy over things they purposely misinterpret and can't change.. entertains me.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 04:23 AM

Prairie, slow down an take a deep breath. The information they are telling you is straight and true. You can argue as long as you want, their facts are clear.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 04:25 AM

Kroll had nothing to do with the ignorant power mad Wisconsin dnr killing all those healthy deer.

Ehd and anthrax kill up to 80-90% of the deer in a given area. And there is no campaign to prevent contain either of those diseases.

Those diseases were known about long before there were fences of any kind. The difference is that CWD has just been discovered within the last several decades. It's probably been around as long as the others, but since it's discovery coincided with the development of the captive deer farm industry, people with a bias against high fences have made fools of themselves trying to blame CWD on deer farming.

It's actually quite entertaining to watch, and it will never result in the destruction of the high fence industry.

Yes, I'm sick that way. Watching people go batchit crazy over things they purposely misinterpret and can't change.. entertains me.

It's amazing how effective yotes are at clean up

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 10:51 AM

It's amazing how effective yotes are at clean up

Yep, an animal staggering around is just another free meal to them. They clean up every scrap of meat they can get to. What they don't take care of other critters take care of the rest.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 11:43 AM

Oops-said "I believe" Kroll had some to do with it because I wasn't sure. My mistake. Glad he didn't.

The point was CWD is a big deal-fence or no fence. It's not just a made-up reason for states to go after deer farms. Heck, they don't even really want to go after them (they let them build them in the first place). But they have to.

I am simply reporting a major event related to the deer farming business. Probably a game changer. Others can deflect or deny all they want-the winds of change are blowing when it comes to these operations.

CWD may be a "clutch" Bobo, but proving game farms transport it all over the state is a pretty big "clutch".

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:17 PM

Oops-said "I believe" Kroll had some to do with it because I wasn't sure. My mistake. Glad he didn't.

The point was CWD is a big deal-fence or no fence. It's not just a made-up reason for states to go after deer farms. Heck, they don't even really want to go after them (they let them build them in the first place). But they have to.

I am simply reporting a major event related to the deer farming business. Probably a game changer. Others can deflect or deny all they want-the winds of change are blowing when it comes to these operations.

CWD may be a "clutch" Bobo, but proving game farms transport it all over the state is a pretty big "clutch".

I call bs The point was, as always, to create an anti-HF post, this time using a biased report as the basis, hence your closing statement in the original post "Thanks a lot HF deer farming."

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:36 PM

yawn coffee popcorn scratch bolt flag

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:38 PM

I don't like HF deer farming-that's no secret.

But the report is the report. The fact is a bunch of deer in a deer farm had CWD. And several infected deer were transported long distances to other parts of the state. Hard to "spin" that any way but that it ain't good.

As for "bias", what motive does F&S have to be "biased"? If anything, their motive is just the opposite. Being as they depend on outdoorsmen for their livelihood, there is certainly no incentive for them to piss off a big portion of their readership and advertisers and every reason to play this story down.

Think about it. Don't just type it.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:47 PM

Texas has regulations on deer breeders for testing deer that die in their pens for CWD. They have to do this to stay movement qualified. Again, how many deer are known to have died from CWD in the wild or in pens?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:49 PM

Article should of focused on real science like how many animals where there before the two year no kill quarantine.

We should ban hunting in states with CWD...it's that dangerous....lol

CO should kill every animal in the state to protect other states from the migration of CWD

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:55 PM

People say this could never happen. It does. Then they say it's no big deal. Blah, blah, blah. We call it the "dog bite" progression:

I don't have a dog.
It's not my dog.
It's my dog but he doesn't bite.
It's my dog and he bites, but you are making too big a deal about it.
I'll take the 5th.

smile

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 01:57 PM

Texas has regulations on deer breeders for testing deer that die in their pens for CWD. They have to do this to stay movement qualified. Again, how many deer are known to have died from CWD in the wild or in pens?

284 of 'em died in that Iowa pen. bolt

smile

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:03 PM

People say this could never happen. It does. Then they say it's no big deal. Blah, blah, blah. We call it the "dog bite" progression:

I don't have a dog.
It's not my dog.
It's my dog but he doesn't bite.
It's my dog and he bites, but you are making too big a deal about it.
I'll take the 5th.

smile

I've lost deer to EHD, some really big deer.
I've hunted in known CWD areas.
Have you experienced either?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:03 PM

smile

Via a bullet. How many died from a direct result of CWD during the two year isolation on that ranch?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:10 PM

smile

Nice deflection grin But again how many have died FROM CWD in the wild or in pens? People have always said it could happen, just hope it doesn't. No one wants any disease to get started or spread in Texas. CWD has been here forever, it just decided to make an ugly appearance again. Same for EHD in the midwest taking care of over-population. EHD hit an area of western Central and eastern West Texas a few years back killing a lot of deer. KILLING DEER, not state official wiping out herds for no sound reason. CWD has been in Kansas now and did the KDWPT go out and kill all the deer in those areas? No. Found in Texas, did TPWD go out and kill all the deer in that region(even though they would love to blame it on deer breeders)? No. Same for NM, Colorado....

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:12 PM

I call bs The point was, as always, to create an anti-HF post, this time using a biased report as the basis, hence your closing statement in the original post "Thanks a lot HF deer farming."

Exactly.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:18 PM

"As for "bias", what motive does F&S have to be "biased"? If anything, their motive is just the opposite. Being as they depend on outdoorsmen for their livelihood, there is certainly no incentive for them to piss off a big portion of their readership and advertisers and every reason to play this story down."

Nice (but weak) try.

F&S and several national publications, as well as QDM and virtually all state DNR's believe (like you) that they have an anti HF majority now.

They don't, and they'll suffer. And I'll enjoy watching.

In the mean time, if some states do outlaw HF's, it's not going to hurt Texas at all.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:52 PM

smile

Via a bullet. How many died from a direct result of CWD during the two year isolation on that ranch?

It was a joke. Thus, the smiley.

I am no expert on CWD. Have never claimed to be. But folks go bat chit crazy over it and state wildlife depts. spend a ton of $$$, pass a ton of laws, prosecute folks under those laws, and kill a bunch of deer trying to prevent/contain it. I presume they are relying on their biologists telling them it's a bad deal.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 02:56 PM

"As for "bias", what motive does F&S have to be "biased"? If anything, their motive is just the opposite. Being as they depend on outdoorsmen for their livelihood, there is certainly no incentive for them to piss off a big portion of their readership and advertisers and every reason to play this story down."

Nice (but weak) try.

F&S and several national publications, as well as QDM and virtually all state DNR's believe (like you) that they have an anti HF majority now.

In the mean time, if some states do outlaw HF's, it's not going to hurt Texas at all.

I'm glad you think they believe that. IDK if they do or not. But they are not politicians, they are running a business. There is no incentive for them to even piss off a minority.

They are reporting facts and issues that affect hunting because that's their job. Whether it hurts them or not. I applaud them for it.

You are in the habit of making bold predictions. The ones I have seen so far have not panned out to well. smile

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 03:51 PM

smile

It was a joke. Thus, the smiley.

I am no expert on CWD. Have never claimed to be. But folks go bat chit crazy over it and state wildlife depts. spend a ton of $$$, pass a ton of laws, prosecute folks under those laws, and kill a bunch of deer trying to prevent/contain it. I presume they are relying on their biologists telling them it's a bad deal.

What part about govt officials/employees working to preserve their jobs, garner more power, get more funding do you not understand???

sweet geezus.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 03:58 PM

Nice (but weak) try.

I'm glad you think they believe that. IDK if they do or not. But they are not politicians, they are running a business. There is no incentive for them to even piss off a minority.

They are reporting facts and issues that affect hunting because that's their job. Whether it hurts them or not. I applaud them for it.

You are in the habit of making bold predictions. The ones I have seen so far have not panned out to well. smile

Posted this before the latest case was known. Keep an eye on this one, I didn't sleep at a holiday inn express last night.

#5358845 - 10/13/14 10:39 PM Re: 2nd confirmed person with Ebola in Dallas! [Re: Ramball36]
therancher Online content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Heresy!!! They told us this simply can't happen!!!

Get ready, they are going to be announcing many more confirmed cases soon. Seems this insolent virus just plain don't give a rats behind about what the experts say.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 04:08 PM

It's the gubmint! Bad ol' gubmint! Take their gas away from 'em-that'll show 'em!! mad

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 04:44 PM

It's the gubmint! Bad ol' gubmint! Take their gas away from 'em-that'll show 'em!! mad

cheers tis fighten gubmint, dry for de rich, all den dar tax breaks. how U tinks people gets ta be's Billionairs. off the hard work of the worken people. offtopic got educated back tis thankful tis in LF area & no reports of CWD. tis worried bout dem dar wild hog's been eaten, think feelen de side effects rofl so what's your expertees advice ta keep the CWD dieses out of texas think they handleing it in Iowa kinda like the going on in Dallas. nothing wrong with being concerened, sometimes all we got is Prayers flag

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 05:02 PM

But the report is the report. The fact is a bunch of deer in a deer farm had CWD. And several infected deer were transported long distances to other parts of the state. Hard to "spin" that any way but that it ain't good.

As for "bias", what motive does F&S have to be "biased"? If anything, their motive is just the opposite. Being as they depend on outdoorsmen for their livelihood, there is certainly no incentive for them to piss off a big portion of their readership and advertisers and every reason to play this story down.

They have plenty of motive. They are media, they take a seemingly hot topic and get on one side to stir the pot in the hopes that they will increase readership, whether they are right or wrong. This is their only dog in the fight. What is your purpose in constantly slamming others' free choice to hunt as they please?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 05:38 PM

They have plenty of motive. They are media, they take a seemingly hot topic and get on one side to stir the pot in the hopes that they will increase readership, whether they are right or wrong. This is their only dog in the fight. What is your purpose in constantly slamming others' free choice to hunt as they please?

Three main ones:
1)It is not hunting and cheapen actual hunting;
2)It hurts hunters/hunting with nonhunting public; and
3)Disease creation/transmission.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 05:40 PM

scratch tis a consperacy i tell ya. i know what i thinks, yet, this android makes me look dumber than what i realy am. 2outa3 disagree. i've been tested. what symtoms ya look for, deer on cam here all look health. thankfully we don't have the hog problems like some of the other counties. they carry diesase, i know my spelling suck. TCB so far. no muyloco side effects from grillen & chilen hogs. then don't have the problem others do. keep advertising slinger have gun will travel know what it like getting laughed at made fun of for complaining. don't have all the high-tech as some. so step aside ta them who do cheers don't want the desease ta get around here. flag

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 06:17 PM

Three main ones:

1) Who are you to define what is hunting or not? Maybe you aren't actually hunting because you use a high caliber rifle, or because you rely on a guide who has your target animal patterned, making him easier to kill.
2) Non-hunting public could care less...it's the anti-hunters who have taken up the fight against HF and it's other hunters like yourself who help their cause.
3) Do you have some empirical data to share that you discovered while moonlighting in the lab, or are you are relying on biased media to provide your information.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 06:43 PM

Wait for it.... popcorn

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 07:59 PM

Really? Why would you say that? I don't think it's the govt.

In fact what I point out from time to to time is that if you really want something done, don't depend on the govt. depend on the individual or private enterprise.

Not sure how you could mistake that but hey, mistakes and you have begun quite an intimate relationship lately. wink

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 08:00 PM

Wait for it.... popcorn

I'm too tired. smile
Please search past HF threads.

I'll just be content that the debate is heating up, mainstream publications/hunters are increasingly sharing my point of view, and more changes are looking increasingly likely in the future.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 09:00 PM

Three main ones:

I'm disappointed NP. You've been settling to much via arbitration.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 09:05 PM

Combination of too much work, getting old, and thinking about AZ. smile

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 09:10 PM

Lol

Parting thoughts please be sure to debone and skull cap your ram..... Don't want the chance of scabbies(sheep cwd) to infect rifleman's east tx red light district... Be a bad deal
Posted By: lileight

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 09:46 PM

I have not read all the post on this topic. I can tell you tho I know the guy that owns the place. I hunted there the last two years he had hunts 2011/2012 and 2012/2013. It started when one of his deer in the preserve tested positive for cwd. They then traced it back to one of his breeder bucks that was at a diffrent location. So at this point all they knew was only two deer had cwd. They allowed him to hunt the 2012 season to kill most of the deer in the preserve mine being one of them. Only catch was that only horns and cape was to leave the preserve no meat or brain matter. The carcuses was then put in a freezer truck till the dwfp could pick them up and test them. Then was suppose to be carried to landfill and burned. Here is the kicker not only did they not test all the deer that was killed they also DID NOT burn the deer as was stated they was gonna do. The deer was dumped in a landfill. THey was not covered up or burned just dumped. I can promise you the million he was rewarded no where covers his cost he spent. He has to maintain the fence for five years no animals allowed on the place. He cannot sell it or anything for five years. He just built a brand new lodge the year before this happened. I hate it for him. He was a super nice guy as well as his guides. He was doing hunts for the working man to enjoy and afford. The first year I hunted with him I killed a 152 1/8 7pt, my brother-in-law killed a 165 in 14 pt, and my son killed a 169 5/8 in 15pt. These deer was 2500 a piece. I went back the following year and killed a 213 in 21pt for 4500. It sad to see a guy as good as him go out of business. Especially since cwd occurs in the wild and has for many years. To me personally cwd is a gimmick used by dwfp to get all the grants they do.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/15/14 09:58 PM

Lol

Parting thoughts please be sure to debone and skull cap your ram..... Don't want the chance of scabbies(sheep cwd) to infect rifleman's east tx red light district... Be a bad deal

OK. But CWD over there means "Cars With Doublebarrels". smile
Posted By: scattergun

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 01:49 PM

CWD has been in CO for decades and possibly centuries in the wild and hasn't wiped out or had a significant impact on herd numbers

CWD decimated the deer herd in the area north and west of Mancos, CO. Hunted there for years.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: scattergun

CWD has been in CO for decades and possibly centuries in the wild and hasn't wiped out or had a significant impact on herd numbers

CWD decimated the deer herd in the area north and west of Mancos, CO. Hunted there for years.

Mid to late 80's?

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 02:49 PM

Reason I ask, More likely blizzard. I hunt 20miles from Mancos and have no issues finding mulie deer. Montazuma county nor the surrounding counties are CWD zones. I've sent lots of time in the San Juans.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 02:52 PM

Late 90's. Usually set up camp a few hundred yds. east of Jersey Jim lookout tower.

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 03:10 PM

Late 90's. Usually set up camp a few hundred yds. east of Jersey Jim lookout tower.

Small world been all through there, got a picture of my dad and I there. That area gets some of the highest snowfalls in the state. We went back to hunting East of Pagosa after the 97 blizzard.

It's not a CWD area though got to go way north to really get into it

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 03:17 PM

Tell me about the snowfall. Had to move camp down the mountain one NIGHT because we couldn't keep the snow beat off the tents and were fearful of getting trapped up there. It happens. Many stories of stranded hunters and having to leave vehicles until spring thaw. Have hunted a few miles south and east of Pogosa as well

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 03:27 PM

Tell me about the snowfall. Had to move camp down the mountain one NIGHT because we couldn't keep the snow beat off the tents and were fearful of getting trapped up there. It happens. Many stories of stranded hunters and having to leave vehicles until spring thaw. Have hunted a few miles south and east of Pogosa as well

We use to have a cabin off rio blanco basin road.
Posted By: aerangis

Re: 284 Deer At Iowa Deer Farm Positive For CWD - 10/17/14 03:32 PM

IMO, it should be on the owner, they took and should understand the risk??

If the HF rancher provided animals for the government or was involved in a government funded program to supplement wild herds, then the rancher is entitled to the same federally funded protections that other ranchers or farmers are entitled to.

The public may not like their tax dollars being used to compensate farmers and ranchers losses, but without protection against loss, be it insurance or subsidies, there would be few folks in the business. And agriculture is a business with deep roots in this country.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum