Forums46
Topics538,052
Posts9,732,429
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5346981 10/07/14 09:52 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Don't know. I've had deer walk right under my tree stand. I couldn't put an arrow in because the shaft was falling off the rest. I was maybe 20 feet up. No cover scent. I'd been in the tree about 4 hours. Climber stand. From same stand I had a bobcat walk right under. At the tree it stopped and immediately looked right up at me and with "I don't care" attitude just kept crawling along on his way. Why did the deer not seem alarmed but the cat looked right at me? Just don't know.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5346988 10/07/14 09:55 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
A cover sent is no replacement for not hunting with the right wind. That said. I wouldn't argue that using it might not hurt your chances.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: kry226] #5347109 10/07/14 10:56 PM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: kry226
None.

I think a lot of boys don't get winded due to thermals keeping scent above a deer's nose and they credit whatever gimmick they happen to be using at the time.

If your scent hits a deer's nose, he will eventually smell you. That is an indisputable fact.

^^^^^

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: redchevy] #5347113 10/07/14 11:00 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I don't know. Ive had deer come in down wind and never pay it any mind. Ive sat in a stand with 30 deer feeding less than 50 yards dead down wind for hours at a time with no cover scent no scent blocker, window opened wearing the same clothes I hunted in the day before bbq'ed lunch in etc. Sometimes deer spook sometimes they don't.

Bow hunting last year the few times I got to I had 3 deer and a hog come from down wind of me. I was sitting on the ground leaned up next to a tree. The hog stuck around till he got shot. The does all had fawns and fed for about 30 min before they left un spooked.

I try to hunt the wind as best I can and don't worry about the rest.

this, i think hunters give them critters too much credit. i personally dont think they will spook on scent alone, but hit on two senses and they will be gone. if they smell you and see or hear you poof gone i think sight and sound like walking in the woods alert deer more than smell.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5347137 10/07/14 11:17 PM
U
udamdan Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
It might be useful for bow hunters in a tree stand 20-30 yrds away but not for me ,

Set my blind 130 yrds east of my feeder pen and can sit there smokin a cigar with the window open watching deer eat .

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5347166 10/07/14 11:39 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Marlboro lites for me blush

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5347223 10/08/14 12:06 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Sad to say I started smoking again. But I figure this is the response I would get. As soon as I get situated in my tree I have a smoke I really feel it covers up human sent some. What kind I deturgent do y'all use I always keep my hunting clothes separate and use all free and clear to wash in haven't had any problems yet. I feel that a small bottle of sportsmanship deturgent is way over price and over rated. Had nine deer within 15 yards of me for the better part of an hour last week never even knew I was there. I have a buddy that staps these carbon pads to the bottom I his boot sprays down with one thing and hangs some wick sent killer up in his tree lol. I'm sure the manufactures smile when they see him.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: kry226] #5347398 10/08/14 01:15 AM
G
GreaterMallard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I don't put any faith in any of the cover scent products. I put my faith in the wind direction.

^^^This

I agree (again), but also again, THERE ARE things you can do to REDUCE your scent, and you can do it without gimmicks or padding the wallets of the outdoor industry. Because unless you hunt in a different world than I do, deer do actually come in from downwind and not where expected all the time. Good measures can mean the difference between getting a shot or not.

I keep my clothes clean with a scent-free detergent (Sport Wash, $5 a year for me); I store my clothes in the large 10 gallon ziploc bags ($6 per box of 4); use scentless Arm&Hammer deoderant ($1.29 per stick which lasts the season); and I usually dress out in the field before heading to the stand. Those few things ($13 per year, wow, how gimmicky!), and especially hunting the wind, can do more for the average hunter than a whole truck load of Ozonics, Nose Jammer, Deer Dander, and Tinks 69.

None of this will PREVENT you from getting busted, but it may add some time for a shot. To do anything else, you're just adding scent to your repertoire.

Ozonics does work.. We have tested the heck out of it. I was skeptical of it. It works. I am not paid by ozonics to say this either.

North Texas Waterfowl Hunts -
Champion Callers
Managed Private Waters
Meticulous Guides - Visit us @ www.bullzeyeoutfitters.com
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5347432 10/08/14 01:33 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5347468 10/08/14 01:49 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Lmbo I don't think any more pigs could have fit within the legs of that feeder.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: GreaterMallard] #5347512 10/08/14 02:07 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: GreaterMallard
I don't put any faith in any of the cover scent products. I put my faith in the wind direction.

^^^This

I agree (again), but also again, THERE ARE things you can do to REDUCE your scent, and you can do it without gimmicks or padding the wallets of the outdoor industry. Because unless you hunt in a different world than I do, deer do actually come in from downwind and not where expected all the time. Good measures can mean the difference between getting a shot or not.

I keep my clothes clean with a scent-free detergent (Sport Wash, $5 a year for me); I store my clothes in the large 10 gallon ziploc bags ($6 per box of 4); use scentless Arm&Hammer deoderant ($1.29 per stick which lasts the season); and I usually dress out in the field before heading to the stand. Those few things ($13 per year, wow, how gimmicky!), and especially hunting the wind, can do more for the average hunter than a whole truck load of Ozonics, Nose Jammer, Deer Dander, and Tinks 69.

None of this will PREVENT you from getting busted, but it may add some time for a shot. To do anything else, you're just adding scent to your repertoire.

Ozonics does work.. We have tested the heck out of it. I was skeptical of it. It works. I am not paid by ozonics to say this either.

If you say so... But I don't care if you can hook it to the tailpipe of my diesel pickup and the earth's atmosphere actually starts getting cleaner, I ain't dropping 400 bones on a hunting product that doesn't shoot a bullet or arrow.

[Linked Image]
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: kry226] #5347665 10/08/14 03:02 AM
G
GreaterMallard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G

^^^This

North Texas Waterfowl Hunts -
Champion Callers
Managed Private Waters
Meticulous Guides - Visit us @ www.bullzeyeoutfitters.com
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: GreaterMallard] #5347944 10/08/14 11:52 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted By: GreaterMallard

^^^This

confused2

[Linked Image]
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348537 10/08/14 04:40 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I've often wondered whether a motor vehicle acts as a cover sent. I know, sounds crazy. The thing is there are lots of tales of guys out hunting all day and then when they get back to their vehicle they jump a deer. It has happened to me.
So....on one occasion when I didn't have much time and there was a light rain, I just walked about 15 yards from my vehicle, sat on a folding stool crunched into some underbrush, and about an hour later had an 8 pt. walk right in front of me. About a year later I did the same thing and had a spike walk right by.
I've had coyotes run almost into my lap (fawn call) and they stop and stare, move back and forth, lower their head looking right at me, (full camo) but if they circle and catch my scent- gonzo pronto.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348563 10/08/14 04:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don't have ozonics. I have never seen one in person, I have no experience with them. From what I have heard on testing with dogs that they were still able to find people.

It might help/reduce, but its still there... and like someone else said for $400... ill pass!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348570 10/08/14 04:58 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Its more of deer get use to vehicles especially if they are used on the property regularly... I try and associate my truck/tractor/UV with food/safety as much as possible.. and on the old place would try and drive hunters to the stand as much as possible.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348577 10/08/14 05:03 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Not much seeing how they dont work !!!!! you put an made up sent that has been through no telling how many different labs and so many chemicals and you think thats cover sent lol just rub some dirt or cow poop on you and you will be good unless you think deer have not smelled humans ever before
Deer have become used to humans over the years and know the smell even though you try an cover it up they still smell ya do pay into the cover sent game your just supporting big companies making more money over the city guy hunting party .Sorry if i step on toes over this one but ya'll know it is true.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348676 10/08/14 06:01 PM
W
WTGuide Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Put no faith in that stuff at all

Think you can/Think you can't/Either way you're right

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348685 10/08/14 06:06 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
While we are on this scent business one of the best hunters I know wears blue jeans and a camo jacket. No head to toe camo. The key is that he has the ability to never move. I myself have three changes of clothes, I can hunt day one and then put on a new set of garb and then the same for day three. All stored in plastic bags with some leaves, twigs, etc.

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: vanguard] #5348758 10/08/14 06:44 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: vanguard
[

Opening that beer is the tricky part

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: redchevy] #5348775 10/08/14 06:52 PM
K
Kenneth1977 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: vanguard
[

Opening that beer is the tricky part

rookie cheers

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: cameron00] #5348789 10/08/14 06:59 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: cameron00
Originally Posted By: retfuz
The cover ups, soaps, detergents, etc. might work if one didn't breathe.

This exactly.

If you can smell someone's breath when they're talking to you, a deer can smell it 30-40 yards away.

It's all about the wind, moisture in the air, etc.

I dip dirt during a hunt

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5348810 10/08/14 07:09 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
i chew corn in the stand.

and big whoop they cant smell the beer, bud light is 99% water anyway.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: jshouse] #5348893 10/08/14 07:52 PM
R
RDNCK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: jshouse

rofl

Re: How much faith do you put into sent cover up? [Re: jshouse] #5349118 10/08/14 09:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: jshouse

Power corn?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide