Forums46
Topics539,920
Posts9,755,645
Members87,194
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533328 01/06/09 09:46 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
We had an issue this year on our lease with our neighbor.

We have a 60 acre portion of our lease that is fairly narrow but is also the thickest part of the lease. This area also holds the most hogs. Anyway, for three weeks in a row this year, our neighbor came out on Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 and 4:00 and crank up his chainsaw right across the fence from our property. This was within 150 yards of my son's stand.

After talking to my landowner, we decided it would be best if I go talk to him. The next day, at 7:30, he drove down to his usual place and cranked up the chainsaw. I decided to get out of the stand at 8:30 to talk to him.

When we met at the fence I was nice and introduced myself and asked if he knew we were hunting over there. He said "Yeah, I know your over there. Do you expect me to cut this wood during the heat of the day? This is how I heat my house". After I offered to help him he was real nice and agreed to cut only between 9:30-3:30 I only saw him one other time the rest of deer season. That's when I went back to camp and got a package of breakfast sausage and took it back to him. When I called over to him at the fence he thought I was hunting and was apologetic saying he was sorry and he didn't know I was hunting. It was about 11am and I told him I was just calling him so I could give him some sausage. But, he has been extremely nice from the moment I offered to help him.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: MarkE] #533329 01/06/09 09:51 PM
R
Ringer1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Quote:

Park your truck right on the fence line when you are hunting or put some old farm equipment up against the fence there. OR set out a small transistor radio turned down very low on your side of the fence.

I saw this transistor radio trick on Realtree Roadtrips this year. Michael Waddell was pissed!!! The next day, they went back to the same spot and shot a monster.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: LoonMan] #533330 01/06/09 09:54 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just a question here, did YOU cross the fence and climb up into the stand and actually SEE what all could be seen from it???????

Or did you just stand on your side of the fence, on the ground taking pictures and making assumptions.

All the second picture shows is what the camera sees form the level you were at taking the picture, NOT what may be able to be seen from the seat in the stand its self.

I am not saying or trying to make out that you are wrong and that the stand is not too close to the fence, but unless you crawled up in the stand and actually looked around to see what the hunter might be able to see, your making assumptions as to the persons character and intentions.

In looking at the second picture, it appears to me that there is an opening past that one group of trees, I am going to assume that the fence line was pretty clean at one time, and has grown back up over the past few years.

Not trying to be arguementative, but on the place I hunted for so long in Montague county, we cleared out just enough brush along one fence line that we could see slightly over 100 yards straight down the fence line.

No one hunted the adjoining property and it was thicker on that side.

By opening up the side we were on by slightly over 6 feet it gave the deer a travel corridor.

Without actually climbing up and setting in the stand, you do not know but what this isn't the same type set up.

The points still remain, the guy did set up too close to the fence, buit unless or until you or your group can prove they are poaching or shooting across on to you property, there is very little you can do to change the situation.

Who knows, maybe if you tried to contact the person it might turn out that they just don't know any better and you might be able to make suggestions on other areas to sey up off the fence that would work better for all concerned.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533331 01/07/09 06:00 AM
K
kdmason Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Just stop by the barber shop and get all the cut hair you can, then simply throw it on the ground for 50 yards on both sides of the blind. but stay on your own property. then you can set an outhouse over there and that can be the camp poopoo place. He'll move it.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533332 01/11/09 08:11 AM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Well hidden trail cameras. Catch this guy crossing the fence for a deer and his hunting days are over.

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: Longhunter] #533333 01/13/09 07:28 PM
D
DWS Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
What you need to do is spread some moth balls on your side of the fence and deer wont come anywhere near his stand.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533334 01/13/09 08:10 PM
B
booger Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Why not just build you a blind on your side of the fence and put it right besie his stand. make sure it blocks his view of your place. You don't have to hunt it just put it there. Maybe try and put you up a billboard to block his view????

Big ones line-up, little ones bunch-up
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: Koolade] #533335 01/13/09 09:34 PM
P
popeye Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Quote:

Quote:

I'd make sure to drive by every morning and take a whiz right by t-post #3 and then fire off a few rounds from the handgun, that's

Had a friend that had this exact thing happen. They first talked to the neighbor (the neighbor had just bought this 320 acre tract next to their ranch that is heavily managed. They decided to ride their four wheelers up and down the fenceline during prime hunting hours opening weekend.
My friend got a visit from the GW (who was and still is a friend of his). GW said that he sympathized, but nothing could be done. Furthermore, if they continued to disturb the neighbors, he would be forced to issue citations for "Interfering with a Hunt"(don't remember exactly what he called it). Ain't that b*tch!

We have the same problem with people and four wheelers---except it is the GW and his wife that are doing this to me and some buddies. This is in another state, we called GW Hq's and they said get it on video and they would prosecute him and his wife.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: LoonMan] #533336 01/14/09 12:17 AM
R
Redneck Messiah Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Heck, just park your truck, on your property.............. right in front of their blind......... whats a GW gonna do, give you a parking ticket on your land?

Originally Posted By: cody
...give it to a homeless guy...he won't mind the stiffness
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: Redneck Messiah] #533337 01/15/09 05:09 AM
D
dw173 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I have a couple of opinions on this topic for what it is worth:

I think the guy has set his stand up in such a way to hunt the traffic on and off the property not to shoot it on your property. It really wouldnt matter which way the stand was facing, although it looks bad at first until you think long and hard about it. He has the right, just as you do, to shoot the deer regardless of which way they come from as long as the shot is when it is on the appropriate property. You could easily set up a blind on your side and shoot the deer leaving the field before it goes into the woods and that is fair as well.

As far as the judges ruling, can you say APPEAL!!!! That is total crap. I have the right to ride around, plow, work, burn or whatever I need to do to my property. I do not have to stop tending my land because of deer season.

Now, I suspect there was a bit more to what was going on though and the guy fined may have been getting carried away in what he was doing....can you say be more "discreet" if you are going to try to harass someone else. Be pretty hard to prove a case of Hunter Harassament (which I have never heard of until now) if you are going about your normal business on your property. My .02 worth anyhow.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: dw173] #533338 01/15/09 05:24 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I know there are a few guys that hunt the salt gap area on here so maybe yall have seen this. I get to fish and do a little varmint hunting on a place. Yall may have seen this place because it has a huge tank on it with a small floating fishing dock in the middle. Well the place you have got to drive though to get to it has no cover and is just big field. Whoever hunts that place has two big stands that face the place I fish on. Both stands have feeders next to the fence and are about 300 yards apart. The landowners of my place just cleared about a 10 yards on their side along the fence and put a stand at one end. They just shoot anything worth shooting before it jumps the fence.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533339 01/16/09 02:36 AM
R
RedRiverCo. Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
thats horrible morals to hunt the fence line of another hunter, i would be sure to cause as much sound and noise in that area as much as possible.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BradyBuck] #533340 01/16/09 02:38 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

I know there are a few guys that hunt the salt gap area on here so maybe yall have seen this. I get to fish and do a little varmint hunting on a place. Yall may have seen this place because it has a huge tank on it with a small floating fishing dock in the middle. Well the place you have got to drive though to get to it has no cover and is just big field. Whoever hunts that place has two big stands that face the place I fish on. Both stands have feeders next to the fence and are about 300 yards apart. The landowners of my place just cleared about a 10 yards on their side along the fence and put a stand at one end. They just shoot anything worth shooting before it jumps the fence.

Just north of Ms Fortsomes place????

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #533341 01/16/09 02:56 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure where that is...It is right off the north side of the east mesa that forms the gap...

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BradyBuck] #533342 01/16/09 04:57 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not sure where that is...It is right off the north side of the east mesa that forms the gap...

Yelp know exactly where your talking about they are about 500 yards from my buddies place. He owns the east part of the gap now.

I don't think they shoot to much this year... didn't hear to many shots. Will be there this weekend

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #533343 01/16/09 05:03 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I am not sure how much deer hunting went on there this year. I know they lease it out during deer season. It has a nice little cabin on it. The fishing and dove hunting is great. I will be down there taking a few bass, crappie, and catfish out sometime this spring.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BradyBuck] #533344 01/16/09 05:04 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Quote:

I am not sure how much deer hunting went on there this year. I know they lease it out during deer season. It has a nice little cabin on it. The fishing and dove hunting is great. I will be down there taking a few bass, crappie, and catfish out sometime this spring.

You want to transport of few of those Crappie and Bass to my buddies tank

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #533345 01/16/09 05:05 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I think the trailers that they have at the front are part of the that big field?

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #533346 01/16/09 05:09 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
yeah...I drive through the place with trailers to get to it. That is not part of the place with the tank but the only place those guys hunt is on that fence line between the two places. Have you seen those two blinds they have set up facing the fence???

Last edited by BradyBuck60; 01/16/09 05:11 AM.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BradyBuck] #533347 01/16/09 05:18 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Yelp seen them earlier this year. I wouldn't do it but as long as they don't break the law and none of those bullets cross the fence...can't do much.

There is a guy on our other side that has a blind 30 yards off our fence and a 2 feeders 30 yards off the fence... One to his east and one to his west... He also over looks our oat field. Not much we can do about that either. Really don't care as long as he doesn't send any bullets my way

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #533348 01/16/09 06:47 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Yeah there is nothing they can do. The brothers that own the place are 6'5 300 6'4 350 and 6'6 280. One day they were fishing and a .22 bullet zipped over their head. They went up and had a little chat.

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: TSH_Lance] #533349 01/16/09 03:45 PM
T
texas8point Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I would say the deer probably stage on his side in the woods waiting for dark before they head into the field. The deer belong to the state, not you and he isn't breaking the law, so I'm just gonna say as long as he's killing deer (not slaughtering everything in site) on his side of the fence and thats it, than you should be fine.

Last edited by texas8point; 01/16/09 09:35 PM.
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: texas8point] #533350 01/16/09 09:54 PM
Rwuensch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Easy Fix. Just high fence the portion facing his property. The deer will find a way to the field and he will be shut out from hunting your fence.

Problem solved.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "smart"?
Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: Rwuensch] #533351 01/25/09 07:32 AM
B
black dallas Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
just thought you guys would like to know that the deer stand is now gone. not sure where it went... but its gone

Re: You be the judge! Is this too close? [Re: bayourat] #533352 01/25/09 07:51 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
x2

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide