Page 1 of 2 1 2
Colorado Mule Deer Hunting #5308543 09/16/14 01:08 AM
A
Antler Addicts Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
My father has always wanted to go hunt a mule deer in Colorado. Anyone know a good place with quality animals in Colorado?

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/teamantleraddicts
Facebook "Like" us! Enter in our GIVEAWAY'S
https://www.facebook.com/teamantleraddicts

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308617 09/16/14 01:34 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Could have set him up with a tag a cpl days ago.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308672 09/16/14 01:55 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Wont be for this year!

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308731 09/16/14 02:11 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Chances are I could set him up with a voucher for next year.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308797 09/16/14 02:29 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
We have no Idea the process for hunting outside of Texas. Care to explain?

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308839 09/16/14 02:44 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
For MD in Colorado given my hunch, you buy a voucher from a landowner. Make sure it's unit wide, which will now come at a premium, get a cpl maps, get a gps with Colorado boundary chip, stop by the local DOW office in Gunnison to buy your license, read the rule book, make hotel arrangements & go hunt.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5308887 09/16/14 03:00 AM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
up elmer

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5309254 09/16/14 01:13 PM
B
Branden Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I would highly recommend putting in for Unit 52 for a DIY hunt between my uncle and cousin they have killed 5 or 6 190+ in the last 7yrs up there its rough country but the big ones live there my uncle has pic of several in the 36-40" scouting. My dad killed a 228" in there 10yrs ago.

Last edited by Branden; 09/16/14 01:16 PM.
Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Branden] #5309908 09/16/14 08:01 PM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Branden
I would highly recommend putting in for Unit 52 for a DIY hunt between my uncle and cousin they have killed 5 or 6 190+ in the last 7yrs up there its rough country but the big ones live there my uncle has pic of several in the 36-40" scouting. My dad killed a 228" in there 10yrs ago.

Wow very nice. post some pics if you have.

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5310061 09/16/14 09:26 PM
B
bnoyle Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Just moved to TX from CO...will help if I can.

All deer hunts in CO are by draw only. Premium units will take many years to draw particularly as a Non-res. As mentioned previously there is a landowner voucher program that is pretty well out of whack at this point. The "voucher brokers" have swooped in and the prices are getting out of control in my humble opinion. In addition, it is possible to buy a landowner voucher for a unit and then have that landowner subsequently withhold permission to hunt their land. DOW is currently reviewing/revising this program to get things under control.

I like to hunt every year so I quit playing the points game. The CO DOW publishes a wealth of drawing and harvest stats on their website. Using this data I used to look for units that were easy to draw with few or no points and then started looking at harvest stats by season.

PM me to chat or if you want more info or help wading through all of the data but here are some suggestions:

Units 18/37 (I think???) I believe fall within the same hunt code and there are usually leftovers for these units...this is steep and deep country and you'll need to push yourself physically and mentally but there are a lot of deer in those big basins. A buddy hunted it archery this year and saw alot of animals before having to pull out for a family emergency. Bonus is these units are over the counter elk tags. 90 minutes west of Denver on I-70.

Unit 20 is a front range unit up I-25 N of Denver. Locals will poo-poo this unit but if your dad wants a milder hunt there's an outfit that offers 2-3 day private land hunts for like $850. I'll have to find the link to their site. They won't be monsters but they have some solid 4x4s in there. Easy access from DIA.

In CO the seasons work a bit differently as you get a month for archery, and then approximately a week for each rifle season 1-4. 1st rifle is antlered only, 2-4 will vary on sex by unit and management regime. You get approximately a 1 week hunt per season, 1 animal only, with second rifle being the most popular as it spans 2 weekends. The earlier it is, the higher up you'll need to go.

I'll dig out my old stuff from past hunts and post a few links here for you. Happy to help any way I can.

Brian

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5310101 09/16/14 09:44 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
3rd spans 2 weekends as well, 2nd is more popular by numbers bc everyone and their dog can tag along if there's an OTC elk unit close, 4th is the one that runs 5 days.

I suggest a 66 3rd voucher that way you don't have to try to kill yourself to shoot a big deer on the first trip...would suggest 67, but no way you'll get one of those 3rd vouchers anytime soon.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5310174 09/16/14 10:12 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Most units are taking a time to draw now. I have a buddy that is up to 6 and this is for an average unit. When I lived there, I was told that we (residents where allotted 85% of the tag opportunity, but the fine print of that, is the state includes all licenses in that figure, not necessarily for big game.

As mentioned a PLO voucher is the fastest way to get a tag and the most expensive. I have seen them go foe as low as a few hundred, to over $2500, depends on the area and the LO.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5310315 09/16/14 11:24 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
I'd go Unit-Wide over a PLO voucher since, IIRC, only takes 1300ish acres to qualify for PLO draw and may not be a deer worth shooting on the property until the Feb counts.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5310323 09/16/14 11:30 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yep, location and weather are huge factors, then add hunting pressure after 2nd season. Private land, especially with alfalfa fields, or other AG, are hot spots when the migration happens. Biggest concentration of mature bucks I would see, that where more accessible, was usually late season near rut in November. Early season usually will keep you hunting in higher rougher terrain, but a higher amount of public land opportunity IMO

Dennis

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: bnoyle] #5310324 09/16/14 11:31 PM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: bnoyle

All deer hunts in CO are by draw only. Premium units will take many years to draw particularly as a Non-res. As mentioned previously there is a landowner voucher program that is pretty well out of whack at this point. The "voucher brokers" have swooped in and the prices are getting out of control in my humble opinion. In addition, it is possible to buy a landowner voucher for a unit and then have that landowner subsequently withhold permission to hunt their land. DOW is currently reviewing/revising this program to get things under control.

I like to hunt every year so I quit playing the points game. The CO DOW publishes a wealth of drawing and harvest stats on their website. Using this data I used to look for units that were easy to draw with few or no points and then started looking at harvest stats by season.

PM me to chat or if you want more info or help wading through all of the data but here are some suggestions:

Units 18/37 (I think???) I believe fall within the same hunt code and there are usually leftovers for these units...this is steep and deep country and you'll need to push yourself physically and mentally but there are a lot of deer in those big basins. A buddy hunted it archery this year and saw alot of animals before having to pull out for a family emergency. Bonus is these units are over the counter elk tags. 90 minutes west of Denver on I-70.

Unit 20 is a front range unit up I-25 N of Denver. Locals will poo-poo this unit but if your dad wants a milder hunt there's an outfit that offers 2-3 day private land hunts for like $850. I'll have to find the link to their site. They won't be monsters but they have some solid 4x4s in there. Easy access from DIA.

In CO the seasons work a bit differently as you get a month for archery, and then approximately a week for each rifle season 1-4. 1st rifle is antlered only, 2-4 will vary on sex by unit and management regime. You get approximately a 1 week hunt per season, 1 animal only, with second rifle being the most popular as it spans 2 weekends. The earlier it is, the higher up you'll need to go.

I'll dig out my old stuff from past hunts and post a few links here for you. Happy to help any way I can.

Brian

I appreciate it! I am learning a lot already. Post anything you may feel would be helpful!

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Western] #5310330 09/16/14 11:36 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: Western
Yep, location and weather are huge factors, then add hunting pressure after 2nd season. Private land, especially with alfalfa fields, or other AG, are hot spots when the migration happens. Biggest concentration of mature bucks I would see, that where more accessible, was usually late season near rut in November. Early season usually will keep you hunting in higher rougher terrain, but a higher amount of public land opportunity IMO

Pre-2007, I found one bowl that was holding 500 deer with about half being bucks...after 08 it's been a steady build to where it's back to over 200. Starts building before 2nd and deer move off and new ones move in all the way to Jan.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: rifleman] #5310356 09/16/14 11:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: rifleman

Pre-2007, I found one bowl that was holding 500 deer with about half being bucks...after 08 it's been a steady build to where it's back to over 200. Starts building before 2nd and deer move off and new ones move in all the way to Jan.

I can sure relate to that. Fellas that didn't hunt Colorado in the 70's,80's, may never know how wonderful it was back then, I still understand they aren't sure why the decline. i am glad the tags are harder to get in a way, there is still damn nice bucks, but nothing like 15+ years ago IMO.

Dennis

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: bnoyle] #5311120 09/17/14 01:36 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: bnoyle

Brian

Good info. welcome to the forum and the great state of Texas Brian. texas

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5311172 09/17/14 02:10 PM
B
bnoyle Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Here's a couple of links:

Deer stats including hunt summaries, draw results, points required, and harvest estimates.
http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/Statistics.aspx#deer

Colorado forum on MonsterMuleys.com...lots of good info, scouting and hunt reports, etc.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bin/dc...;conf=DCConfID2

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5311400 09/17/14 04:11 PM
A
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Thanks bnoyle!

Team "ANTLER ADDICTS"
YouTube channel

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Western] #5311411 09/17/14 04:19 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R

I can sure relate to that. Fellas that didn't hunt Colorado in the 70's,80's, may never know how wonderful it was back then, I still understand they aren't sure why the decline. i am glad the tags are harder to get in a way, there is still damn nice bucks, but nothing like 15+ years ago IMO.

I didn't hunt it in the 70s & 80s, but dang sure got to see the Gunnison Basin when it was sitting at roughly 60-70:100. 3rd & 4th seasons you just didn't spend much time stopping to look at 180" deer.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: rifleman] #5311693 09/17/14 06:50 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W

I didn't hunt it in the 70s & 80s, but dang sure got to see the Gunnison Basin when it was sitting at roughly 60-70:100. 3rd & 4th seasons you just didn't spend much time stopping to look at 180" deer.

Man that's the truth! When I 1st started hunting the Western slope, the area I hunted was estimated to hold 40k MD during winter!! From what I have seen over the last 10 years or so, I bet it's nearly half. Still some real studs, but not as many IMO.

Dennis

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5311704 09/17/14 06:57 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
HA, if you can swing a hunt in the NW corner of the state (mostly private) There are some real wall-hangers up there (elk too), They are somewhat better protected by all the private lands, iirc it is units 1,2,3,

Unit 61 also has some real trophy MD and Elk and a large portion of it is public. I lived just outside of unit 61 in unit 62. I was told by one of the COW biologist that the minerals content was a prime reason that area had such great antler growth. Drawing there is a long, coveted process though.

There used to be some real great bucks around Chimney rock west of Pagosa Springs, I knew a guy from Brady Tx that had took 2 book MD there. Mixture of PL and private.

Dennis

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5311821 09/17/14 07:51 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
62 isn't bad, 3rd voucher only runs roughly $3k. 61 is great, but really needs a 4th to wait on rutting deer dropping down from Uncompaghre. Where the deer tend to concentrate on 62, the oak brush is now so thick that you basically have to luck into seeing them. 21 isn't much different except there's a ton of horses to contend with.

Re: Colorado Mule Deer Hunting [Re: Antler Addicts] #5311850 09/17/14 08:06 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yep, when they came off 61, the alfalfa fields and my yard would be covered in them (in 62). Took the rut or some severe cold to get the big boys down though. We would even get allot from 65 and surrounding units, I think 62 is primarily all lower elevation and wintering grounds with the AG going on. Would get hairy driving through Montrose and having to let MD cross the road in town. I have even seen bears digging in trash cans in the Walmart parking lot in Montrose LOL

I think 61 gets far less pressure than other units, just because of the draw. I cant recall the unit number for the Grande mesa (East of G Junction), but there are some nice MD there as well allot of small ponds and lakes, but more hunter pressure too. I have seen some super bucks on the roads near 52 and the road going over to Crested butt by the reservoir (blue mesa), but very rugged hunting right there!

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide